The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Avengers: Age Of Ultron

Old 08-26-2013, 05:49 PM   #26
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Default Re: War Machine Better Be in This One

How was he "cut out" of the first film? I doubt the character was ever really considered for the film.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:02 PM   #27
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

speaking of diversity, one character that can easily be reimagined as Asian or Latino is Janet. I know that she has a Dutch surname, but if Broomhilda Von Shaft told us anything, names mean nothing. Janet worked fine in the Ultimates being Asian without changing much of the characters motivations or behaviour (as much as Ultimate characterisations go) Since they went with Ultimate Fury I can see MS taking similar steps with Jan.
Perhaps a Latino version of Strange might work too. As much as I'd prefer Cumberbatch for that part, I always thought Benicio DelToro would be a great choice (that's out of the question now, but what about Gael Garcia Bernal?)

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #28
Loki882
Side-Kick

Ultimate Wasp was Asian (until Jeph Loeb made her look like the 616 version in Ultimates 3 with no explanation whatsoever, damn you Loeb). You could easily cast an Asian actress to play Wasp if you want to go with the Ultimate version.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:46 PM   #29
Loki882
Side-Kick

Also, I'd like to see WM pop up in AOU (maybe not be an actual member, but a guest star). However, I think that its more likely that Falcon will be in the movie.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:38 PM   #30
TheJediBrah
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
That's just it, though: War Machine is more than a supporting character. He's a West Coast Avenger, and he even spun off his own solo series for a time. There's a tendency to dismiss Rhodey as just "the black Iron Man," but he's more than that. And there's nothing wrong with Avengers getting twice the battlesuit firepower, either. They could certainly use the help.
You're not getting it man. The comics and films are hella separate. If you haven't realised that by now you soon will.

TheJediBrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:27 PM   #31
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

I'd like to see Rhodey take over as Iron Man.

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:47 PM   #32
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
You're not getting it man. The comics and films are hella separate. If you haven't realised that by now you soon will.
Nah....ya think?

And if you want to use that lame excuse, then it comes down to common sense in the MCU: why the hell *wouldn't* "Earth's Mightiest Heroes" gather all the superheroes they could muster to fight Earth's mightiest villains? MCU War Machine is a genuine superhero and an American icon, and brings LOTS of firepower to the fray. It's literally inconceivable (yes, Vizzini: inconceivable) that the MCU Avengers wouldn't invite War Machine/Iron Patriot to the party.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:49 AM   #33
Iron_Stark
I'm hooked on a feeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidwarrior View Post
Never going to happen.

First, its a dumb idea, he's already his own superhero, why hell does he need to take over for another?

Second, Marvel isn't dumb enough to replace their top cash cow with a second rate knock off.

Guardians of the Galaxy - August 1, 2014
The Avengers 2 - May 1, 2015
Iron Man will return
Iron_Stark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:24 AM   #34
Loki882
Side-Kick

If RDJ leaves, they might not have a choice.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:24 AM   #35
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidwarrior
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Stark View Post
Never going to happen.

First, its a dumb idea, he's already his own superhero, why hell does he need to take over for another?

Second, Marvel isn't dumb enough to replace their top cash cow with a second rate knock off.
I have to agree with dw on this one (tho, it may never happen again lol!!) For one Don Cheadle can carry his own movie. He has a impressive resume. Two there was a time in the comics that He took over for Iron Man. Tony was still involved in the back ground. They can do this in the MCU also. Though I do realize that the Falcon, Black Panther and War Machine/IM/Rhodey may exceed the Toomanyblackmeninonemovie quota or we have to get Spike Lee to direct it hollywood clause..

Dr Tactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:07 AM   #36
Iron_Stark
I'm hooked on a feeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
If RDJ leaves, they might not have a choice.
When RDJ leaves, they'll recast for another Tony Stark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Tactics View Post
I have to agree with dw on this one (tho, it may never happen again lol!!) For one Don Cheadle can carry his own movie. He has a impressive resume. Two there was a time in the comics that He took over for Iron Man. Tony was still involved in the back ground. They can do this in the MCU also. Though I do realize that the Falcon, Black Panther and War Machine/IM/Rhodey may exceed the Toomanyblackmeninonemovie quota or we have to get Spike Lee to direct it hollywood clause..
No its never going to happen, Cheadle may be able to carry his own movie but its laughable to think Marvel is going to let Rhodey star and replace their top earning character in a $200 million production. Never gonna happen. They'll recast Tony Stark a milliom times before Rhodey is named the new Iron Man.

This isn't Ghost Rider where nobody will notice if Ketch takes over as the new GR.

Guardians of the Galaxy - August 1, 2014
The Avengers 2 - May 1, 2015
Iron Man will return
Iron_Stark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:22 AM   #37
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

It makes sense storywise.

Tony blew up his armours and essentially quit being "Iron Man" so it would flow natually for him to pass the role onto rhodey and support him from the sidelines.

Plus it'd let Rhodey continue as a character (he's been in more movies than all of the Avengers) and give some much needed diversity to the team

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.

Last edited by CyclopsWasRight; 08-27-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:50 AM   #38
TheFBI
Side-Kick

Only way I see Rhody "taking over" is if RDJ/Stark becomes Director of Shield in A2 or A3, and has Rhody use the suit. Otherwise it wouldn't make sense considering they're basically the same age and everything.

TheFBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:21 AM   #39
Dr. Evil
Gamora

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
speaking of diversity, one character that can easily be reimagined as Asian or Latino is Janet. I know that she has a Dutch surname, but if Broomhilda Von Shaft told us anything, names mean nothing. Janet worked fine in the Ultimates being Asian without changing much of the characters motivations or behaviour (as much as Ultimate characterisations go) Since they went with Ultimate Fury I can see MS taking similar steps with Jan.
Perhaps a Latino version of Strange might work too. As much as I'd prefer Cumberbatch for that part, I always thought Benicio DelToro would be a great choice (that's out of the question now, but what about Gael Garcia Bernal?)
Cumberbatch is my top choice for The Vision.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:22 AM   #40
H.U.S.T.L.E.
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
I don't think we'll see Falcon or War Machine in this movie. If we do, it may just be as Sam Wilson and James Rhodes and it may be similar to Erik Selvig or Pepper Potts.

We might not see them in Avengers 3 either. By the time the Avengers 3 comes out, we'll have already seen (Besides Thor and Cap sequels):

- Guardians of the Galaxy
- Doctor Strange
- Ant Man
- Black Panther
- Luke Cage

And all of them (except for GOTG) will probably be in Avengers 3 depending upon the plot of Avengers 3 and these other films. Heck, there are already rumored choices for Dr. Strange and BP and those two (and Luke Cage) have not been officially announced yet.
Where are you pulling Luke Cage from? While there's a chance we could see a solo film for him in Phase III, there hasn't been much to suggest that. Black Panther seems more likely (but still uncertain) at this point.

H.U.S.T.L.E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #41
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFBI View Post
Only way I see Rhody "taking over" is if RDJ/Stark becomes Director of Shield in A2 or A3, and has Rhody use the suit. Otherwise it wouldn't make sense considering they're basically the same age and everything.
Why on earth would Stark become Director of SHIELD? MCU Stark is nothing like 616 Stark in terms of politics and philosophy. MCU Stark hates SHIELD, and everyone in it. Not to mention that he does not and has not ever worked for SHIELD in the MCU.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:35 AM   #42
Dr. Evil
Gamora

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.U.S.T.L.E. View Post
Where are you pulling Luke Cage from? While there's a chance we could see a solo film for him in Phase III, there hasn't been much to suggest that. Black Panther seems more likely (but still uncertain) at this point.
The Avengers are going to need some diversity. Where is that going to come from if Luke Cage isn't going to come until Phase 4 and if they choose not to make Black Panther? That's why I think we need Rhodey, Falcon and Monica Rambeau for Avengers 3 with Falcon and Rhodey more likely than Monica. They could always make Ultimate Janet or Dr. Strange as Hispanic, so we'll see if they go down that route. Also, I don't see Marvel taking a huge risk by casting a black actor (Chiwetel Ejiofor if he's not Black Panther, David Oleweyo, any Black British actor not Elba or AAA) as The Vision (although that would be interesting).

While I don't think we'll see Rhodey or Falcon in this Avengers film outside of small cameos, they ought to play a major role in Avengers 3, especially if they have no plans on making Black Panther or Luke Cage before Avengers 3.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 08-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #43
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Stark View Post
When RDJ leaves, they'll recast for another Tony Stark.

No its never going to happen, Cheadle may be able to carry his own movie but its laughable to think Marvel is going to let Rhodey star and replace their top earning character in a $200 million production. Never gonna happen. They'll recast Tony Stark a milliom times before Rhodey is named the new Iron Man.

This isn't Ghost Rider where nobody will notice if Ketch takes over as the new GR.
Look, what I'm saying (and droidwarrior) is RDJ has signed on to A2 and A3 but just because he's signed on he doesn't have to be in the suit. So recasting RDJ isn't the issue at this point. But I would like James Rhodes to have a more active role in the IM or WM Suit. And it would make sense if they were thinking of a IM4. It would be easier to transition to Cheadle if the they had 2 movies to do it though but IMO I think IM3 is the last solo IM movie to be made.

Edit: And to add the final point in IM3 is that Stark Is IRON MAN and not the Suit

Last edited by Dr Tactics; 08-27-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:03 PM   #44
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
The Avengers are going to need some diversity. Where is that going to come from if Luke Cage isn't going to come until Phase 4 and if they choose not to make Black Panther? That's why I think we need Rhodey, Falcon and Monica Rambeau for Avengers 3 with Falcon and Rhodey more likely than Monica. They could always make Ultimate Janet or Dr. Strange as Hispanic, so we'll see if they go down that route. Also, I don't see Marvel taking a huge risk by casting a black actor (Chiwetel Ejiofor if he's not Black Panther, David Oleweyo, any Black British actor not Elba or AAA) as The Vision (although that would be interesting).

While I don't think we'll see Rhodey or Falcon in this Avengers film outside of small cameos, they ought to play a major role in Avengers 3, especially if they have no plans on making Black Panther or Luke Cage before Avengers 3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Tactics
Though I do realize that the Falcon, Black Panther and War Machine/IM/Rhodey may exceed the Toomanyblackmeninonemovie quota or we have to get Spike Lee to direct it hollywood clause..
Too many Black Males in a movie so even to add Luke Cage to that list is a No No (by Hollywood standards) But Luke Cage needs to only be a part of Heroes For Hire as opposed to an Avenger.. Thats where I want him in the MCU.. Somebody is discussing that possible TV Show which is where the home of the Street Level heroes should be. I can FEEEEL it!!!!

Old 08-27-2013, 12:08 PM   #45
Moridin
Death Contagious Deity

Quote:
There's only one Iron Man:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Quote:
Tony blew up his armours and essentially wuit being "Iron Man" so it would flow natually for him to pass the role onto rhodey and support him from the sidelines.
He didn't quit being IM. At all. The very last thing he says before the credits is "I am Iron Man".
The entire movie was spent showing how you can put any number of people in one of Starks suits but that doesn't make them IM.

Rhodey taking on the IM mantle goes directly against that.

Defend night-flight sites...
Trap clamped, snared for pyres...

Witchtripper...
Witchtripper...
Moridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:15 PM   #46
Dr. Evil
Gamora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Tactics View Post
Too many Black Males in a movie so even to add Luke Cage to that list is a No No (by Hollywood standards) But Luke Cage needs to only be a part of Heroes For Hire as opposed to an Avenger.. Thats where I want him in the MCU.. Somebody is discussing that possible TV Show which is where the home of the Street Level heroes should be. I can FEEEEL it!!!!
If that's not going to happen, then use the Ultimate Janet Pym (who is Asian) or have Dr. Strange be Hispanic (my choice is Oscar Issac)

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 08-27-2013, 12:18 PM   #47
Chewy
REDACTED

Look, I know it happened in the comics. But no one wants to see Rhodey as IM in a movie. He doesn't have the personality to carry a movie, he was drawn up and played as a supporting character.

Just like no one wants to see Bucky take over for Cap, or Eric Masterson take over for Thor, or General Ross take over for Hulk.

And when I say "no one", I'm aware that there are probably a few dozen fans that would like to see those things. But in the grand scheme of the movie-going public that's nothing.

Tony Stark is Iron Man, Steve Rogers is Captain America, Bruce Banner is the Hulk, Thor is Thor.

Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:20 PM   #48
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moridin View Post
Rhodey taking on the IM mantle goes directly against that.
True and False at the same time while anyone can wear the IM armor only Tony Stark is IM but Rhodey could wear the suit. Pepper wore the suit but she's not Iron Man. Stark is the only Iron Man is true but Rhodey is the only one he would trust with the Technology to wear the suit. So thats why I say Rhodes can wear the suit but there should be no more IM solo movies id Stark isn't IM. And I rather to never have another solo IM movie then to ever for them to recast to make a 4th one

Old 08-27-2013, 12:25 PM   #49
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moridin View Post
He didn't quit being IM. At all. The very last thing he says before the credits is "I am Iron Man".
The last thing he did was destroy the suits and walk off into the sunset. Tony without the suit is not Iron Man. He can't shoot repulsors, fly, fire missiles, fight Thor or do any Iron Man stuff as Tony Stark. He can say whatever the hell he wants but without the suit he's not Iron Man

Old 08-27-2013, 12:31 PM   #50
Dr Tactics
Ill Brova

Quote:
The last thing he did was destroy the suits and walk off into the sunset. Tony without the suit is not Iron Man. He can't shoot repulsors, fly, fire missiles, fight Thor or do any Iron Man stuff as Tony Stark. He can say whatever the hell he wants but without the suit he's not Iron Man
You lost me droidwarrior.. He didn't quit. He (Stark) can make another suit out of silly putty if he wanted to. Stark doesn't and has never wanted the tech to fall in the wrong hands as what happened in IM3. Plus, he made suits for every possible problem and he knows now that he didn't need to do that because he's over that anxiety from the battle of New York.