Iron Man 3 27 21.77%
Man Of Steel 49 39.52%
The Wolverine 43 34.68%
Kick-Ass 2 5 4.03%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-28-2013, 03:11 AM   #76
Human Torch
I Yam What I Yam

Default Re: Best Comic Book movie of the summer?

I didn't have trouble following TW.My trouble with it was more the lack of in -your-face action I was expecting.It got downright slowmoving at times.Still it's plot kept me ingrossed somewhat better than IM3.

We always need to hear Both Sides of the story.
Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:36 AM   #77
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

So who is Viper working for and what's her deal?
Who was trying to kidnap the grand-daughter at the funeral....and why?
Why on Earth would Wolverine agree to go with that weird lookin' chick back to Japan in the first place? He didn't give a ****.

Also(this has nothing to do with a convoluted plot), why is adamantium's durability in this film completely plot convenient? Wolvie gets his claws chopped off(bull****) then he dismantles...BY HAND, mind you....a giant robot made of adamantium. Pulls it's chest plate off and everything. Heh, more like aluminum.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:43 PM   #78
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
So who is Viper working for and what's her deal?
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
She was working for Yashida. He was paying her to help him become immortal.

Quote:
Who was trying to kidnap the grand-daughter at the funeral....and why?
Shingen. Yashida made Mariko his heir, skipping over Shingen and he wanted her dead so he could take over the company.

Quote:
Why on Earth would Wolverine agree to go with that weird lookin' chick back to Japan in the first place? He didn't give a ****.
He was looking to atone for his role in Jean's death.

Kahran Ramsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:57 PM   #79
The Batman
The Dark Knight

The Wolverine end credit scene was better than every option on this list.

So my vote goes to The Wolverine.

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:34 PM   #80
Human Torch
I Yam What I Yam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran Ramsus View Post

I think it also had a little something to do with the episode in the bar.The cops were out for him,and given the situation,a trip out of the country for the time being couldn't hurt.

The Samurai had a heated adamantium sword.That's what cut Wolvie's claws.

Maybe I should see it again,but I think he was taking parts of his armour off in pieces.In other words,he was taking it apart,not just tearing it with his bare hands.

We always need to hear Both Sides of the story.
Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:47 PM   #81
Oscorp
Side-Kick

The Wolverine. Haven't seen Kick Ass 2 yet, but I doubt it will take the first spot.

Oscorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:43 PM   #82
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
She was working for Yashida. He was paying her to help him become immortal.

Shingen. Yashida made Mariko his heir, skipping over Shingen and he wanted her dead so he could take over the company.

All spot on, and I caught all of this from only watching the movie once, hence why I didnt find it hard to follow.

I actually thought the movie was really well plotted until the last act which let it down a bit. With a better last act, TW would have been the CBM of the summer for me.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)300:ROAE-7(15)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(16)47 Ronin-6(17)Monuments Men-5(18)Ride Along-5(19)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:57 PM   #83
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
I suspect they are not people who weren't fans to begin with. I think they are cutting the film a lot of slack unduly. Which is fine, being biased is no crime. But that film doesn't add up. Myself not being a X-Men/Wolverine fan, I have no incentive to cut them any slack.
Huh? This is not about giving The Wolverine some slack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
I personally never had any difficulty following the story in TW, and I havnt read the comic book story the movie was based on. I just felt it followed the previous movies pretty damn well and was a good story in its own right.
Agreed!

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:56 AM   #84
BlackFox
Burn baby burn!

My summer CBM list:

1. The Wolverine 9/10
2. Man of Steel 7.5/10
3. KickAss 2 6/10
4. Ironman 3 5.5/10
5. Red 2 4/10

Old 08-29-2013, 06:39 AM   #85
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

The Wolverine.

I'd pick Iron Man 3 over Man of Steel, but I enjoyed them both. I didn't like the first Kick-Ass, so I haven't bothered with the new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
I suspect they are not people who weren't fans to begin with. I think they are cutting the film a lot of slack unduly. Which is fine, being biased is no crime. But that film doesn't add up. Myself not being a X-Men/Wolverine fan, I have no incentive to cut them any slack.
My mom, who's never seen any of the X-Men movies, actually saw The Wolverine. She had no problems following the story.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:35 AM   #86
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
All spot on, and I caught all of this from only watching the movie once, hence why I didnt find it hard to follow.
I've only seen it once too.

Kahran Ramsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:06 PM   #87
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Torch View Post
I think it also had a little something to do with the episode in the bar.The cops were out for him,and given the situation,a trip out of the country for the time being couldn't hurt.

The Samurai had a heated adamantium sword.That's what cut Wolvie's claws.

Maybe I should see it again,but I think he was taking parts of his armour off in pieces.In other words,he was taking it apart,not just tearing it with his bare hands.
You're right, was taking it apart, not tearing it.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:07 PM   #88
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
I've only seen it once too.
I've seen it 4 times.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #89
DACrowe
Side-Kick

I do not think I could rewatch any of these films a lot. Despite being the poorest in terms of craftsmanship (though the acting is great), Kick-Ass 2 will likely be the only one I see more than once or twice, because it is at least funny, if in an immature way. MOS is a slog, The Wolverine is fun but the story and motivations are all over the place, and IM3 is a breezy in-and-out entertainment that goes in one end and out the other.

Honestly, this was a pretty weak summer for popcorn entertainment, in my opinion.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:23 PM   #90
Tehmeh
Everybody likes bewbs

I voted for the Wolverine. Haven't seen IM3 yet (will see it tomorrow) but I doubt it will change my ranking.

I liked how Logan was portrayed, I liked the more serious narrative, I liked Japan as the location and Fukushima/Okamoto/Sanada were casted wonderfully. I can probably even get used to the last act. It felt like a movie that was crafted with love and skill, not like an excuse to make some money out of the character.

It's hard to say (mutants aside) what that movie reminds me of, it feels like...using laymen terms, movie magic. So many scenes and moments that I loved to watch, so many of them very different in many ways and yet blended in with eachother. There's just something I love about Mangold's style. Wolverine made me a little fanboy of his, although I already liked some of his past work a lot.

I recognize there are flaws, and I clearly see what I don't like about the film, but seldom have I forgiven flaws or shortcomings with such ease. I'm pretty excited for the extended, more violent blu-ray. Before Wolverine, X2 and X1 were my favorite X-men films. Although this wasn't an X-men movie, I'd rate it right behind X2. The more I think about this movie, the more I appreciate it.

Tehmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:44 PM   #91
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Wow, did not expect TW to over-take MOS in the ratings, especially as it was so far behind at one point.

I do think the last act lets TW down a lot, had that been improved, TW would have been one of the best CBM's ever, never mind this year. Its strange as well as it doesnt seem something that fits in a Mangold movie, I wonder if it was forced upon him? We will never know of course.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)300:ROAE-7(15)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(16)47 Ronin-6(17)Monuments Men-5(18)Ride Along-5(19)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 08-29-2013, 10:27 PM   #92
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

YAY! The Wolverine getting the most votes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehmeh View Post
I can probably even get used to the last act.
It gets better in 2nd viewing which makes The Wolverine even more enjoyable!

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018

Last edited by psylockolussus; 08-29-2013 at 10:34 PM.
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:47 PM   #93
OcStat
Side-Kick

3rd act didn't bother me. It was a nice reminder that Logan was once Weapon X and an X-Man, he's been in some pretty over the top fights. With how unique the rest of the film is for an X-Men movie, I thought it was pretty cool having a comic book-esque finish.

OcStat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:05 AM   #94
MarvelU
Side-Kick

I liked The Wolverine and Man of Steel about the same. Iron Man was a decent comedy/family/action flick, but I already forgot about it. Overall I choose The Wolverine, it just had a more fresh feel to any other comic book movie we have ever seen. In Japan, ninjas, yakuza, speeding train...etc.

MarvelU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:58 AM   #95
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OcStat View Post
3rd act didn't bother me. It was a nice reminder that Logan was once Weapon X and an X-Man, he's been in some pretty over the top fights. With how unique the rest of the film is for an X-Men movie, I thought it was pretty cool having a comic book-esque finish.
I just thought it was a poor action scene for one, the worst in the movie easily, thankfully the rest was great. And the plot turns and developments were just poor as well, it seemed like it was from another movie, there critics were spot on about the last act.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:35 AM   #96
Tehmeh
Everybody likes bewbs

Quote:
Eventually, I may come to that conclusion too. Now that I know the tone shift is happening, I might end up not being bothered by it. And I have to admit there was some stuff in the end that I liked, although I was a little...umm, shocked perhaps. And it's not that bad, I wasn't just ready for something like that. Also If I compare it to TDKR's ending, I'm a lot happier now already.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:40 AM   #97
Tehmeh
Everybody likes bewbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
It gets better in 2nd viewing which makes The Wolverine even more enjoyable!
When I left the theater, and since I've thought about the movie a lot, I'm positive it gets better with more viewings. When I walked out, I knew immediately there was a lot of things to fully appreciate with just one viewing.

I'm an idiot though, many people in this thread already got it all at once, but not me.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:01 AM   #98
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Same here. I didn't have a real problem with act 3. Only with that Poison Ivy rip off. The actress couldn't act crap. And it felt like a Schumacher's Poison Ivy rip off, did I mention that?

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:18 PM   #99
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
And I didn't think it was all that over-the-top as it was made out to be. If it had been some 300-foot tall samurai robot destroying downtown Tokyo, I'd have thought it was a ridiculous shift change. But it fit enough with the story they started (that Yashida wanted Wolverine's healing factor, and Viper suppressed it with the bug so he could be captured, because they were obviously planning something if he wasn't going to give it up willingly), so I didn't find it terribly out of place.

Old 08-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #100
Tehmeh
Everybody likes bewbs

OK, watched IM3. Love it and hate it at the same time. Wolverine stands as no.1 for me.