Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Batman World

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 01:25 PM   #126
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Default Re: The Official Batman (1989) Thread - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddamn Batman View Post
Childish? I don't see how. Some of them are in my opinion essential to the character. It's like Spider-Man with suction cups, Magneto with magnets strapped to his arms or Wolverine with kitchen knives between his fingers.
No, it's not. Spider-Man without super powers means no great power with great responsibility credo which is the whole basis of his character, and Magneto without his powers means he's not a mutant, which is the entire basis of the character.

They're bad analogies.

- The Joker
Old 08-28-2013, 01:26 PM   #127
shauner111
Side-Kick

Quote:
Childish? I don't see how. Some of them are in my opinion essential to the character. It's like Spider-Man with suction cups, Magneto with magnets strapped to his arms or Wolverine with kitchen knives between his fingers.
Not the same thing. The better example for Spidey would be organic web shooters or not. Which have been done in both ways, and both work, and both are still very "Spider-Man".

Joker still has the smile that is permanent due to scars. The colors are still there, his character is more important. Catwoman doesn't need a whip to be Catwoman. Bane is still not American, he's huge, he was born in a prison, he's intelligent, he has a mask, he still has something latched onto his body that keeps him strong or else he becomes weaker. All of the essentials are still there for Bane, comic-book or Nolan. It's just presented in new ways. These characters will always be interpreted in different ways on film. As long as the essential parts are still there.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:26 PM   #128
Goshdarn Batman
Hm...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
Yeah, we can have both. Burton went full on with the fantastical nature of Gotham and Batman's rogues. Nolan went full on with the more realistic gritty side of Gotham and Batman's rogues. I assume the reboot will be the perfect balance.
I hope so! But they can keep Bat-Mite out of it

Old 08-28-2013, 01:39 PM   #129
Goshdarn Batman
Hm...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
Joker still has the smile that is permanent due to scars. The colors are still there, his character is more important. Catwoman doesn't need a whip to be Catwoman. Bane is still not American, he's huge, he was born in a prison, he's intelligent, he has a mask, he still has something latched onto his body that keeps him strong or else he becomes weaker. All of the essentials are still there for Bane, comic-book or Nolan. It's just presented in new ways. These characters will always be interpreted in different ways on film. As long as the essential parts are still there.
One of the things I like about the joker (not the guy who posts here) is that he doesn't really look like a villain to begin with. Clowns are supposed to be funny (personally, i think clowns are unfunny *******s), and at first glance he looks harmless enough. Batman on the other hand looks like a villain. But the scary guy in a batsuit is the hero, and the clown is really a homicidal maniac.

Ledger did a good job as The Joker, but right when you see him you know that he is dangerous.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:42 PM   #130
regwec
Shakespearo

I kind of agree, GB, though interpretations of The Joker are so broad that I don't see Ledger's as unacceptably far from the pale. The only stickler is the lack of bleached skin; the scarred mouth is clearly intended to give the same degree of "permanence" to his appearance, but it is isn't quite as satisfactory to me.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:48 PM   #131
Cain
"...I prefer 'Doc'"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post
Amazing. I want that on my wall.

Pull list: Saga, The Manhattan Projects, Thief of Thieves, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Future's End, Action Comics, Detective Comics, Batman & Robin, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, Red Lanterns, Swamp Thing, Justice League, Justice League 3000, Justice League United, Worlds' Finest, Batman '66, Batgirl, Gotham Academy, Multiversity, X-O Manowar, Unity, Bloodshot, Archer & Armstrong, Daredevil, All-New X-Men
Old 08-28-2013, 01:51 PM   #132
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
One of the things I like about the joker (not the guy who posts here) is that he doesn't really look like a villain to begin with. Clowns are supposed to be funny (personally, i think clowns are unfunny *******s), and at first glance he looks harmless enough. Batman on the other hand looks like a villain. But the scary guy in a batsuit is the hero, and the clown is really a homicidal maniac.

Ledger did a good job as The Joker, but right when you see him you know that he is dangerous.
No don't agree with that either. The Joker, when drawn properly, always has a creepy dangerous look to him:

The Penguin is the kind of villain who's supposed to look harmless, even comical, and that's what's deceptive about him. Not the Joker.

- The Joker

Last edited by The Joker; 08-28-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:57 PM   #133
regwec
Shakespearo

That's true of certain interpretations and instances, but not all. Often, The Joker is the "Clown Prince of Crime", and is shown to have rather aristocratic, aquiline features, and a somewhat bon vivant disposition. It then becomes easier to see what Harley Quinn sees in the maniac.

I think he should look surreal and even eerie, but his monstrous nature can often be hidden in a velvet glove.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:05 PM   #134
Goshdarn Batman
Hm...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
No don't agree with that either. The Joker, when drawn properly, always has a creepy dangerous look to him.
That depends on the artist.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:07 PM   #135
Mace Dolex
Powerful User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
Deleted Scene: Vicki encounters two children dressed like Batman

I remember this picture from the Topps trading cards and because the cards had a couple of behind the scenes pictures I always assumed this pic was of some kids that were on the set playing around as Batman.

Self-contained stories part of a larger story is where its at. Not this writing for the trade nonsense. If you're going to write for the trade, don't release it in individual issues. Just release the trade.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:08 PM   #136
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
That depends on the artist.
That's true of Batman, too. The way some artists draw him is not intimidating at all.

- The Joker
Old 08-28-2013, 05:11 PM   #137
Goshdarn Batman
Hm...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
I remember this picture from the Topps trading cards and because the cards had a couple of behind the scenes pictures I always assumed this pic was of some kids that were on the set playing around as Batman.
Tim Burton: "look at them, how cute... Guards! Beat the crap out of the little trespassers."

And that's why Batman Returns is the darkest Batman movie. Burton hates children...

Old 08-28-2013, 05:14 PM   #138
Goshdarn Batman
Hm...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
That's true of Batman, too. The way some artists draw him is not intimidating at all.
Yes, and there's nothing wrong with it. It's just that i like "unrealistic" comic book movies best. It's just my opinion.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:42 PM   #139
TheDarkKnight08
genius

Drew this and posted it on the Michael Keaton thread, too. Thought I'd drop it in here, too. Always loved the cowl and how well it hid Keaton's eyes in some scenes.

If any character has ever earned the right to enjoy a happy retirement, it is Bruce Wayne. Nolan ought to be commended for caring enough about the character and believing enough in his own vision to provide a definitive, satisfying ending to the story of an ordinary man who turned tragedy into the motivation to accomplish something extraordinary.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Nick Mundy is the real-life equivalent of Youtube comment: Sure I may be wrong, but I'm loud, so everyone listens to me.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #140
Rodrigo90
Hip To Be Square

Great job and good touch at capturing the eyes.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #141
Travesty
TEOL

I like it. Batman has "teh scruffy".

Old 09-10-2013, 09:47 AM   #142
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!

Keaton in some scenes did look a little unshaven or his 5 o'clock shadow was showing.

SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
Old 09-10-2013, 07:26 PM   #143
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRkVeNgeanCe View Post
Keaton in some scenes did look a little unshaven or his 5 o'clock shadow was showing.
that always thrilled me for this interpretation (Keaton's Bruce was a guy unhinged who probably didn't shave every day.)

Old 09-16-2013, 12:52 PM   #144
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!

I'm sure you guys have seen this man's work, Sebastian Columbo he has done a lot of Superman art, specifically Christopher Reeves stuff which is absolutely fantastic. This follows that in it's epicness!

SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
Old 09-22-2013, 08:06 PM   #145
DCW
Side-Kick

http://firewireblog.com/2013/09/04/h...matt-ferguson/

Old 09-22-2013, 08:23 PM   #146
A Necessary Evil
#Fannibal

Very cool

Raimi or not, it's absolutely hilarious how much Sony realizes they screwed the pooch.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:57 PM   #147
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!

That's amazing!

Old 09-22-2013, 10:59 PM   #148
Travesty
TEOL

He stole my balloons!!! Why didn't someone tell me he had one of those....things.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:08 AM   #149
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

God... Gotham was beyond amazing in this movie.

My favourite interpretation.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Old 09-23-2013, 08:37 AM   #150
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!

I would love a print of that for my collection

Closed Thread