The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 08-28-2013, 04:31 PM   #26
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Default Re: Marvels biggest slap in the face!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
Did Marvel even have that much of a say in that Fox stuff?
No, but the thread topic didn't say anything about what Marvel Studios, specifically has done wrong, just slaps in the face with Marvel characters.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:58 PM   #27
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Thor, from The Trial of the Incredible Hulk TV movie.

Beyond that, I'd list Dr. Doom as the biggest offender; Gas-Cloud-Lactus as the second; Venom third; fourth, the apparent marginalization of Hank Pym and Janet Van Dyne right out of the Avengers, if not the MCU altogether; and The Cyclops Screwjob fifth.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:05 PM   #28
Hmarrs
Side-Kick

Quote:
Wolverine being 6'3 totally ruined the entire X-Men franchise. What a slap.
You laugh but I remember that being a big issue when the first movie came out.

Quote:
Who?

Who?

What?

Marvel, stop slapping us! We're fans of these characters whose names we can't spell!!!!
Oh shutip I mean situp I mean....oh be quiet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlueWonder View Post
Grammer Nazi
Yeah what this guy said.Gimma a break man I posting from my phone.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:42 PM   #29
ChukNoris
Experienced Bra Fitter

1. Galactus/Deadpool (tie) 2. Cyclopes joke (AKA Wolverine and Friends trilogy) 3. Doom 4. Nic Cage as Ghost Rider

Old 08-28-2013, 10:08 PM   #30
Spider-Vader
Groot and Branches

I can't see how anyone can think Venom or Cyclops were handled worse than Deadpool, atleast they LOOKED like their comic counterparts.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:38 PM   #31
Loki882
Side-Kick

Cyclops characterization in X3 specifically, that was crap. Bastardizing Doctor Doom AND Galactus. Jessica Alba as Sue Storm, no just no. Crapping all over the Phoenix in X3. Barakapool in XMOW. Making a freaking Elektra movie boring, how is that even possible? And many more.

Loki882 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:44 PM   #32
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Honestly... if Cyclops had been perfectly in character and awesome and only been spit on during the final fight scene, and then the proper character teased in a post credits scene, I would have been mostly fine. Especially if the movie was called Wolverine instead of something more inclusive.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:52 PM   #33
venom892
Got Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Vader View Post
I can't see how anyone can think Venom or Cyclops were handled worse than Deadpool, atleast they LOOKED like their comic counterparts.
Deadpool is definitely the worse. Dr. Doom is a close second with Venom coming in third.

Vote for your favorites in The Battle of the Comic Book Films Tournament! here!
venom892 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:08 AM   #34
Scar Predator
No, I will NOT "Imagine"

If we are talking pre-MCU, I'll go with the Captain America 1979 TV movie. If you've never seen it, you only need to take a glimpse at what Cap looked like to know how awful it was.

Within the MCU- SURPRISE!- Venom's my choice. The symbiote's origin was a cliche', his dialogue was completely out of character, and he was portrayed by an emaciated goofball.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:37 AM   #35
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

It depends on what you mean by "Marvel". If you're referring to all Marvel films in general, I don't know where to start. Marvel's had some really bad stinkers pre-MCU. If you're referring to just the films made by Marvel Studios, the biggest slaps in the face so far would have to be their treatment of the Mandarin and of Hank Pym. What they did with those characters (or what they are about to do, in Hank Pym's case) is just as bad as some of the things that other studios like Fox/WB/Sony have done in the past, maybe even a bit worse.

Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:36 AM   #36
TheJediBrah
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Dodds View Post
The Mandarin. Easily.

Not because I love the character or whatever, no, I hate what they did because basically all of Iron Man 3's excellent trailers, posters and tv spots sold us a completely different movie from the one we ended up getting.
About a whole year's worth of spin sold this movie as an epic battle between Hero and Nemesis in which Stark finally suffers defeat and had to fight his way back from destruction. Kingsley's Mandarin looked and sounded friggin' ferocious too... THIS was gonna be good!
...yeeeeeaaah.

Now, studios overhype their films all the time. No surprise there. But what Marvel did went way beyond that... they outright lied about what the film was.

And even then -even then!- I could have forgiven that, all of it... if what the film was actually about wasn't so friggin' boring...

Eh, rant over.
Easily this.

Most of this thread seems to be people complaining that characters were changed from the comic books.
Big whoop, the movies are different, deal with it.

TheJediBrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:44 AM   #37
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Vader View Post
Agreed. Everything cool about Deadpool was taken away or changed. Why they thought that would work well is still beyond me.

Last edited by def28; 08-29-2013 at 03:04 AM.
def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:07 AM   #38
Ipodman
Love Tension

Galactus as a giant cloud. The Silver Surfer himself was alright...

Ipodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:07 AM   #39
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Dr. Doom

He was a joke.

Storm, Elektra and Venom were weak sauce too.

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:15 AM   #40
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Fox threw Cyclops under the bus. Cyclops spent the first X-Men movie as little more than foil to wolverine, in X2 he got brainwashed and vanished for half the movie and then at the start of X3 he gets vaporized.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:40 AM   #41
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Most of them are Fox, specifically Fantastic Four, Fantastic Four 2, Wolverine: Origins, Elektra. Then there's Sony: Spider-Man 3, Ghost Rider, Ghost Rider 2. And a few others, Punisher War Zone, Hulk (2003).

But those are more like palms to the face compared to the stuff Marvel Studios does to piss fans off.
- The Mandarin twist in IM3
- No Hank Pym in Age of Ultron
- [inevitable future slap to the face]

Because I love Phase One. More than most movies that exist in the world. And it seems like they've begun slapping faces for little to no reason at this point.

pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:50 AM   #42
Silvermoth
Avenger

The lamest Phoenix adaption they could possibly come up with takes the cake

Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:35 AM   #43
xeno000
Raining hell from above

****-cloud Galactus

Every X-film except for X2

Wasp-y Elektra

Mary Sue Wolverine

Wimpy Dr. Doom

Scaled-down and dumbed-down Dark Phoenix

Emasculated Cyclops

A Storm who barely used her powers and was clumsy when she did

Sebastian Shaw and his ludicrous plot (like causing a nuclear holocaust wouldn't kill all mutants as well as normal humans)

Multiple continuity errors, contradictions and bad characterizations in the X-films. Worst example: Raven/Mystique was a nearly mute, antisocial badass in three films, then in FC she turns up as Xavier's chatterbox ingenue sister.

Introducing mutant characters just so they could be slaughtered en masse in X3

Cheesily awful makeup, costumes and vFX in FC. Mystique and especially Beast looked like they used the crappy Halloween makeup you could get at a party store. The kid who played Beast looked embarrassed, and rightly so.

Not one, not two, but three badly-written villains in Spider-Man 3.

xeno000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:45 AM   #44
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
****-cloud Galactus

Every X-film except for X2

Wasp-y Elektra

Mary Sue Wolverine

Wimpy Dr. Doom

Scaled-down and dumbed-down Dark Phoenix

Emasculated Cyclops

A Storm who barely used her powers and was clumsy when she did

Sebastian Shaw and his ludicrous plot (like causing a nuclear holocaust wouldn't kill all mutants as well as normal humans)

Multiple continuity errors, contradictions and bad characterizations in the X-films. Worst example: Raven/Mystique was a nearly mute, antisocial badass in three films, then in FC she turns up as Xavier's chatterbox ingenue sister.

Introducing mutant characters just so they could be slaughtered en masse in X3

Cheesily awful makeup, costumes and vFX in FC. Mystique and especially Beast looked like they used the crappy Halloween makeup you could get at a party store. The kid who played Beast looked embarrassed, and rightly so.

Not one, not two, but three badly-written villains in Spider-Man 3.
No offence, but most of that just looks like fan nitpicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:52 AM   #45
Teelie
Mostly Harmless

Much of this thread has been fan nitpicks over what ultimately is minor stuff or necessary alterations but that doesn't mean all of them are invalid.

Just to show how arbitrary it is I'll even post what I think was a slap compared to what wasn't.

Slaps:
Venom may have had to be changed but why a scrawny guy like Topher Grace?
The Mandarin who I have no care for either way was turned into a literal figurehead for another villain and deprived of real status.
Elektra was just a waste. No one should have done that movie.
Deadpool was another waste of a character.
Galactus is a cloud?
The first Hulk movie was ridiculous and over the top.
The second Hulk movie is so-so and I can see how some people are insulted by it.
Same for the Punisher movies. They weren't dark enough or characterized right.
Dr. Doom was boring.
Juggernaut was insulting (both as the character and the portrayl).
The Fantastic Four sequel was just a petty cash-grab/rights holder and it showed.
Storm was a waste too. Though I think this is part of a bigger problem of too many characters in one movie.
I'll throw in Emo Parker too from Spider-Man 3. It's related to the Venom symbiote and pretty much everything done with/to Venom was a mess compared to what he should have been.
X-Men 3's throwing away of characters was the biggest waste of all with potential future characters killed for a pointless massacre scene.

Not Slaps (but sometmes still insulting or stupid):
Cyclops was a dick move but it wasn't a slap in the face. His death was the result of (blatant) studio interference, which a lot of these slaps or semi-slaps are.
Wolverine's height is irrelevant to the character overall but a disappointment.
Whiplash may not be a top tier villian but he wasn't the worst part of Ironman 2 either.
The Ghost Rider films as terrible as many think they were are still not a slap in the face. They just didn't succeed well.
Daredevil is a lesser terrible film but still not a slap. I think a lot of that hate is on Affleck, even from back then.
Fantastic Four stumbled and tried but it wasn't slapping either.
Wolverine is among the most popular/well recognized of the X-Men so it's natural he'll be prominent although I won't disagree he was too prominent, it's still not a slap to the face.
Mystique as a younger woman being talkative does not make for a continuity error when later as an older adult she's quieter and more reserved. Something could have happened to change her between the two eras.

Teelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:16 AM   #46
Lord
All Mighty

Whiplash's reinvention was awesome, it's just a shame he was so badly used, he looks better than his original comic version by far

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:09 PM   #47
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

IR3's fake Mandarin.

Hugh Jackman - Halle Berry - Ian McKellen - Patrick Stewart
Anna Paquin - Shawn Ashmore - Daniel Cudmore - Ellen Page
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:45 AM   #48
Red Mask
Human Killing Machine

Ghost Rider 2.

I didn't feel I was ever slapped in the face for the others. And I'm glad what they did to the Mandarin.

The second achievement is when the sword exists in one's heart. When absent from one's hand one can strike an enemy at paces
even with bare hands.

Swordsmanship's ultimate achievement is the absence of the sword in both hand and heart. The swordsman is at peace with the rest of the world. He vows not to kill.
Red Mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:50 AM   #49
PyroChamber
Chicka Chick-ahhhh

I think the biggest slap in the face is from the makers of these movies who make these bad decisions and bad changes and then turn around and say " oh the fans are gonna love it, the fans will be satisfied".

When FF: ROTSS was coming out, in an interview Tim Story mentioned Galactus and said "the fans are going to love what we do with him" and low and behold...we got a giant cloud. Yeah, that was cool!

In a behind the scenes featurette, they talk about Deadpool and the look they give him and one of the producers say "I think the fans will like what we did" and we got...well we all know what happened there.

Quote:
Sometimes, it's so easy, I'm ashamed of myself.
PyroChamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:59 AM   #50
jonathancrane
Hank Pym > Scott Lang

They never should have put Deadpool in Wolverine to begin with; his potty and 4th wall humor have no place in a film that was exploring the origins of one of the best Marvel characters. But, they did not put Deadpool in: they put what felt like the Asylum's imitation Deadpool. Instead of making one bad decision, they made two consecutive ones.

*I will forgive the writers of Man of Steel, if Superman is the Enlightened Sun God he is supposed to be, in Superman vs. Batman. Quite simply, Superman does not kill. The writers of MOS failed to grasp this, to this film's detriment.
Favorite CBMs: 1) X2 2) The Avengers 3) CA:TWS 4) Watchmen 5) Batman: MOTP 6) The Dark Knight Rises 7) Thor: TDW 8) TASM 9) IM3 10) S/B: Apocalypse
jonathancrane is online now   Reply With Quote