Cool... But rude.

Default Re: The Official PS4 Thread - Part 2

PS4 is tiny. T

Revelation 22:20
Old 08-28-2013, 01:30 AM   #802
LuisTX85
Señor Zorro

Fine by me,Can't wait to hold one of them boxes!!

Old 08-28-2013, 01:36 AM   #803
WildChild
Side-Kick

Yes.I want.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:10 AM   #804
Silvermoth
Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisTX85 View Post
Fine by me,Can't wait to hold one of them boxes!!
That's what she said! No that doesn't make sense. But I agree, I can't wait to hold one of those

Old 08-28-2013, 11:36 AM   #805
StrainedEyes
All the way up it!

Interview with Sony’s Jim Ryan: ‘Giving away stuff on day one… it’s kind of odd’

Pretty interesting interview with some good direct questions/answers about Microsoft and policies.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:55 AM   #806
Benstamania
Cool... But rude.

Gonna post this here as well..

Texts from my friend Jared, who's at the Las Vegas Gamestop manager expo.

Quote:
EA has been supporting Sony like crazy out here. Every ea game I'm getting is on the ps4. Microsoft has some cool tech in the box (mostly with the blend of media and gaming) and their controller feels a tad but better to me. .

PS4 hands down has the best games and the better looking system (seriously, its so pretty). Sony is also showing major love for developers (major and indie) and major love for the consumer as well.

Its anyone's game down the road, but Sony's got a good lead.

Oh and wait until you guys see the new trends in blending "multiplayer" with single player. Watchdogs is the one to watch for this. Hint: Darksouls.

After what I've seen at the past 2 days at my conference I guarantee that PS4 (barring any hardware issues) is going to win the launch war. Microsoft could catch them long term but it's anyone's game. . If I had to pick 1 system I'd go with the PS4 right now as Xbox One would be a bit of a gamble.
He went into this completely natural as he's more of a PC gamer.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #807
Iceman
XMN AVNGRS JL

Is Sony launching at a price $100 cheaper at launch (when nobody has any doubts they would sell out at a higher price) not equally odd? It's obvious Microsoft are trying to make the deal on XB1 more competitive without reducing their actual revenue. $100 of extra clean profit per console means you don't need to sell anywhere near as many to make the same overall profit. Sony are choosing to take a surprisingly big hit to get the early install base.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:13 PM   #808
Benstamania
Cool... But rude.

He also said both conferences were good...But Sony really sold him on their love for the gamer. That their show was about what they can do and do great for the console gamer. MS was more about (again) look at the media you can also do on this and "Well the 360 kicked ass so we're confident that current 360 owners will stick with us."

I think it's a crazy price for the PS4..but one that has to be made in this day and age. When you teeter on 500-600 you let your supporters thinking about maybe going PC only.. Plus Sony got KILLED at their 600 dollar price point..It's a mistake they don't want to ever make again.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:30 PM   #809
Iceman
XMN AVNGRS JL

Agreed, and all of that points to why it's not odd in the slightest for the $500 console to offer incentives like a free game.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #810
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

love the blue in the box design!!!

Disney Lover and Proud!!
Old 08-28-2013, 01:34 PM   #811
SolarTiger
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Is Sony launching at a price $100 cheaper at launch (when nobody has any doubts they would sell out at a higher price) not equally odd? It's obvious Microsoft are trying to make the deal on XB1 more competitive without reducing their actual revenue. $100 of extra clean profit per console means you don't need to sell anywhere near as many to make the same overall profit. Sony are choosing to take a surprisingly big hit to get the early install base.
Well I'd think that bundling in the kinect with the xbox one made a 400 dollar price point way too much for Microsoft to swallow. The kinect is still a pretty high tech camera. I'd guess the profit from a $500 console+kinect is not much different from the $400 dollar PS4.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:55 PM   #812
Iceman
XMN AVNGRS JL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarTiger View Post
Well I'd think that bundling in the kinect with the xbox one made a 400 dollar price point way too much for Microsoft to swallow. The kinect is still a pretty high tech camera. I'd guess the profit from a $500 console+kinect is not much different from the $400 dollar PS4.
I'm not comparing XB1 to PS4, comparing them against themselves at different price points. The $100 profit difference I'm talking about is the difference between a $400 PS4 & a $500 PS4, not a $500 XB1.

The PS4 at $400 will have to sell a lot more than the PS4 at $500 or even $450 to make the same profit. Once the cost is fixed it depends on what price point you can sell out your original supply levels at launch. Does anyone doubt PS4 could sell out at $450? If not that's $50 x every PS4 sold of 100% clean profit down the drain. Even worse if your competitor reacts equivalently (which luckily they haven't) you end up at status quo at a huge cost. Competing away your profits is a zero sum game where the reducing margins for both will make the business less stable. I could understand this in round 2 once launch supplies are exhausted. That's the better time to start competing on price when you aren't cannibalising your own profits.

XB1 will have a higher cost base with the Kinect 2 as you say which means reducing price excessively would be even more of a risky move on their part. The obvious strategy is to include more value for the price. It seems logical rather than odd in other words to include a game like FIFA 14 as a free download for European consumers.

Last edited by Iceman; 08-28-2013 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Edit to clarify
Old 08-28-2013, 02:00 PM   #813
SolarTiger
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
I'm not comparing XB1 to PS4, comparing them against themselves at different price points. The PS4 at $400 will have to sell a lot more than the PS4 at $500 or even $450 to make the same profit. Once the cost is fixed it depends on what price point you can sell out your original supply levels at launch. Does anyone doubt PS4 could sell out at $450? If not that's $50 x every PS4 sold of 100% clean profit down the drain. Even worse if your competitor reacts equivalently (which luckily they haven't) you end up at status quo at a huge cost. Competing away your profits is a zero sum game where the reducing margins for both will make the business less stable. I could understand this in round 2 once launch supplies are exhausted. That's the better time to start competing on price when you aren't cannibalising your own profits.

XB1 will have a higher cost base with the Kinect 2 as you say which means reducing price excessively would be even more of a risky move on their part. The obvious strategy is to include more value for the price. It seems logical rather than odd in other words to include a game like FIFA 14 as a free download for European consumers.
I agree with what you're saying, I'm just pointing out that even if the Xbone makes more money while selling less units thanks to the price point, the amount of money lost with each unit sold might be higher because the kinect is included. So overall profit might not favor microsoft if the PS4 was as inexpensive to make as Sony seems to be bragging about.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #814
Iceman
XMN AVNGRS JL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarTiger View Post
I agree with what you're saying, I'm just pointing out that even if the Xbone makes more money while selling less units thanks to the price point, the amount of money lost with each unit sold might be higher because the kinect is included. So overall profit might not favor microsoft if the PS4 was as inexpensive to make as Sony seems to be bragging about.
Certainly possible. We don't know if the Kinectless XBox costs more than the PS4 at this point and if true would be very impressive given the specs of the machine. But yeah I wasn't commenting on the profitability competition between the 2 as there are too many unknown factors.

And to wander away from the point a bit......Who 'wins' in a competition between the 2 could be judged on many different things..profits, sales, revenue, groundwork for the future of the overall company, environmental impact (the winner obviously being the one with the biggest footprint ) etc. But I don't personally care about who wins a particular generation as long as good console manufacturers (in my eyes) like Microsoft & Sony (& Nintendo except for the last 2 generations) not only do enough to survive but turn a good enough profit to ensure that they will always stay in this business. And I don't think being no.1 matters as much as just being successful in your own right. Noone cares too much about being no.1 if everyone's sinking!

Old 08-29-2013, 12:09 AM   #815
LuisTX85
Señor Zorro

Who's carrying over their PS3 account and who's starting over??,I might use my account since I already have PS+ till me next summer But I really want a new PS ID and start my trophies from scratch since I don't care much about that

Old 08-29-2013, 12:12 AM   #816
The Squirrel
Le Rongeur

I'm really considering starting over, but only if I can get the screen-name that I want.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:26 AM   #817
Doc Ock
The Desolation of Spidey

I couldn't fathom starting over!

A Member of Raimi's "Spider-Man Trilogy" Fans | YOU MUST WATCH DOCTOR WHO | Love Smallville | I still believe in heroes Marvel Studios.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:27 AM   #818
LuisTX85
Señor Zorro

IF I do start over I really hope I can finally use my hotmail e-mail,On PS3 whenever I try to switch to it it says e-mail not available/valid or something like that

Old 08-29-2013, 12:42 AM   #819
JaD
Thriller Night

Quote:
Who's carrying over their PS3 account and who's starting over??,I might use my account since I already have PS+ till me next summer But I really want a new PS ID and start my trophies from scratch since I don't care much about that
I love my PSN name and trophy count (59 's yo! ha) so I don't see why I'd start over.

I wonder if they're going to have some kind of online registration system for those who aren't jumping into Day one purchases to keep their PSN names.

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today."
James Dean
Old 08-29-2013, 12:56 AM   #820
LuisTX85
Señor Zorro

PS4 comes with 2 months of free PS+ right?

Old 08-29-2013, 01:00 AM   #821
MagnarTheGreat
Searching with Jade

2 weeks.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:46 AM   #822
LuisTX85
Señor Zorro

PS+ now works on all accounts on one console right?,Or will I have to pay for my wife's account to play online too?

Old 08-29-2013, 05:34 AM   #823
Electro UK
Can't all be for nothing

There's talk of PS4 letting you change your ID name for a price. I'd happily pay to get rid of 'Spider-jam' now...

Old 08-29-2013, 06:35 AM   #824
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
PS+ now works on all accounts on one console right?,Or will I have to pay for my wife's account to play online too?
PS+ content has always worked on all accounts of a console. That's not changing

Old 08-29-2013, 07:04 AM   #825
Iceman
XMN AVNGRS JL

Don't we keep our PS3 names (if we want) when we move to PS4?