The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > The Cutting Room Floor

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 10:34 AM   #926
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - Part 13

The Dark Knight Rises is no where near the quality of the first two.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Batman v Superman v Wonder Woman and a f*** load of characters
Dawn Of Setting Things Up for Justice Leauge
Old 08-28-2013, 10:34 AM   #927
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ's Ulcer View Post
Cheered when Letty (Michelle Rodriguez) died in Fast & Furious. Hated it when she "got better" in FF 6. Also cheered when her character died in Lost and Resident Evil. I really can't stand her. Maybe it has to do with her permanent scowl.

I can't stand her either. She plays the same character in just about every film she's in.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:38 PM   #928
Drizzle
Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJ's Ulcer View Post
Cheered when Letty (Michelle Rodriguez) died in Fast & Furious. Hated it when she "got better" in FF 6. Also cheered when her character died in Lost and Resident Evil. I really can't stand her. Maybe it has to do with her permanent scowl.
The only character of hers I liked was in Avatar, and of course she got killed off there too. She's like the female Sean Bean.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:48 PM   #929
DyeLorean
Cinemaphonic Quadrovision

Michelle Rodriguez always looks angry.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #930
Drizzle
Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlueWonder View Post
The Dark Knight Rises is no where near the quality of the first two.
I'd rank it about equally with Batman Begins, but that's mostly due to the fact that TDKR has the advantage of Bane and Begins has the disadvantage of Katie Holmes. You remove either of those factors from their respective films and I'd rank BB higher than TDKR.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:11 PM   #931
BATZARRO WWD
Campeador Boricua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron Bonne View Post
Not wanting a Moon Knight movie isn't an unpopular opinion. Not because Moon Knight isn't popular himself, but because he's pretty low on the list as far as knowledge goes. Most people either don't know him, or thing he's an alternate costume that Batman wore in the '90s.
Let me put it this way: This thread is the only way I've ever seen anyone talk about a Moon Knight movie. I think people who don't want a Moon Knight movie can breath easy for a good decade or two, if Marvel doesn't get the rights to X-Men or Spider-Man. If they do get those back, then they can forget about it forever.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:47 PM   #932
titansupes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlueWonder View Post
"Everyone can be Batman" is not true. You need ninja training, be in top physical shape and have a few billion in the bank.
Congratulations on misquoting and then missing the point.

He says "Batman could be anybody". He doesn't literally mean BATMAN. Batman is being used as a synonym for 'hero' there. Meaning anybody can be a hero. Meaning it doesn't matter who was actually under the mask, just that it was a citizen of Gotham who stood up against evil... That even the more normal people can be good. "Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring, as putting a coat around a young boys shoulders.... To show him that the world hadn't ended."

Seriously people.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:27 PM   #933
Blitzkrieg Bop
Boy named Sue

There shouldn't be any more Iron Man movies for a long, long time. Maybe never again. The same goes for Captain America and Thor once they wrap it up.

Old 08-29-2013, 06:42 PM   #934
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bop View Post
There shouldn't be any more Iron Man movies for a long, long time. Maybe never again. The same goes for Captain America and Thor once they wrap it up.

H.E.(Y GURL HEEEEEY)
Old 08-29-2013, 08:23 PM   #935
bullets
bang bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bop View Post

They're not going to wrap it up for another ten years. At which point they'll just recast the characters.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:59 PM   #936
Ipodman
Love Tension

There shouldn't be, but there WILL be. As much as I love seeing the current "phase" of characters, Marvel should get going with more new characters (Ms Marvel, Black Panther, Inhumans etc)

Old 08-29-2013, 09:29 PM   #937
bullets
bang bang

I guess we'll have to wait until after Avengers 2. Unless you count Guardians of the Galaxy , which looks great. I'd like to know what's going on with Daredevil.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:01 PM   #938
Spider-Aziz
Shinya Kogami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
What's so funny? You hate those movies?

SPIDER-MAN: Taking selfies since the 60s, making money out of it.
SHH6 member 14: Supa-Pizza
Buh-Bye TMNT sub-forums, you will be missed.
Last date: 29th of October 2014.

Proud member of the Hype Elite.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:10 PM   #939
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

He's laughing at the absurdity of the notion that marvel will never make another iron man movie (or cap, or Thor) when they've been so largely successful.

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
Welcome to the hype, we hate fun #gategate #SeriousBusiness
H.E
Old 08-30-2013, 02:07 AM   #940
scatterax
Presented in Technicolor

The fact that Hugh Jackman does such a good job in the role makes me not mind wolverine's over exposure in the x movieverse as much as I should.

4) The Dark Knight Rises 5) The Incredible Hulk 6) Scott Pilgrim vs The World
7)X-Men:Days of Future Past 8) X-Men:First Class 9) Thor 10) Spider-Man 2
Old 08-30-2013, 02:25 AM   #941
Schlosser85
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

I'm very tired of the entire X-Men series with the exception of First Class being "Wolverine and Friends".

I think Tom Hardy is awesome, but I think Bane was "meh" and his two speeches in the football stadium and even worse in front of Blackgate Prison make me cringe with how goofy and ridiculous he sounds, and I think part of it was the "what were they thinking?" level of voice distortion effects, and partly Hardy doing some weird-ass voice and being a scenery-munching ham in those scenes.

Michelle Rodriguez and Kristen Stewart both act exactly the same in every single movie they are ever in. I don't really get why critics bash Stewart in Twilight but act like she's a good actress in other stuff, because she acts the same.

Movie Review Site:

H.E.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:38 AM   #942
Two-Face=Badass
Side-Kick

X-Men: First Class managed to miss the point on just about every single allegory that the X-Men series tackles - on sexism, on racism, and so on, by being itself a subtly racist, sexist, film.

-Mal and Zoe, Firefly
Old 08-30-2013, 02:40 AM   #943
Schlosser85
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

This isn't directed at anybody here, but I think homophobic or racist X-Men fans are hilarious.

That's like hating Native Americans and having Avatar as your favorite movie.

Movie Review Site:

H.E.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:47 AM   #944
JaD
Thriller Night

I'm black and I don't think I've ever gotten any racist or sexist vibes from First Class. Hmm..

If you're talking about that Shaw comment and look at Darwin, I didn't find that racist at all, I saw Shaw trying to convince him to join him.

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today."
James Dean
Old 08-30-2013, 02:47 AM   #945
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlosser85 View Post
This isn't directed at anybody here, but I think homophobic or racist X-Men fans are hilarious.

That's like hating Native Americans and having Avatar as your favorite movie.
I've never met any, but I imagine it would be fairly hilarious to see. Surely, the concept of allegory can't be THAT hard to grasp.

H.E.(Y GURL HEEEEEY)
Old 08-30-2013, 03:29 AM   #946
Two-Face=Badass
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaD View Post
I'm black and I don't think I've ever gotten any racist or sexist vibes from First Class. Hmm..

If you're talking about that Shaw comment and look at Darwin, I didn't find that racist at all, I saw Shaw trying to convince him to join him.
X-Men were created as characters who took on incredibly obvious parallels to the Civil Rights and Women's rights movements - they were downtreaden minorities who were not afforded rights and alienated in society.

First Class takes place at the same time as these events, and comparisons are explicitly drawn throughout the film. This is good.

HOWEVER - the first hero to die is the only major good black character, whose power is not dying. The other main black hero character, who is also a woman, turns evil on entirely spurious and ill-developed grounds. The only Jewish character becomes a villain (which would be okay if it was just Magneto, but every other non-anglo-saxon character being shafted only makes this bad). The main female character has her mind wiped in a very uncomfortable scene at the end, and her closing scene is a vaguely self-aware sexist joke.

The films ends with the only ones left in Xavier's good guy block being white males, while Magneto's supposedly dangerous and radical wing comes across (unintentionally) as much better, being multi-ethnic, having women, and being more diverse and accepting. None of this was done deliberately by the film makers, but the fact that this managed to happen unintentionally says a lot for how little aware the makers were in crafting their own tale of oppressed persons who are marginalised in society, by managing to marginalise people who actually are oppressed person that are marginalised by society.

EDIT: Oh, and every female character was sexualised, with some in very contrived ways - like Moira pulling her clothes off in practically the first scene we see her in.

-Mal and Zoe, Firefly

Last edited by Two-Face=Badass; 08-30-2013 at 03:36 AM.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:32 AM   #947
JaD
Thriller Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-Face=Badass View Post
X-Men were created as characters who took on incredibly obvious parallels to the Civil Rights and Women's rights movements - they were downtreaden minorities who were not afforded rights and alienated in society.

First Class takes place at the same time as these events, and comparisons are explicitly drawn throughout the film. This is good.

HOWEVER - the first hero to die is the only major good black character, whose power is not dying. The other main black hero character, who is also a woman, turns evil on entirely spurious and ill-developed grounds. The Communists and non-Americans are portrayed as two-dimensional villains. The only Jewish character becomes a villain (which would be okay if it was just Magneto, but every other non-anglo-saxon character being shafted only makes this bad). The main female character has her mind wiped in a very uncomfortable scene at the end, and her closing scene is a vaguely self-aware sexist joke.

The films ends with the only ones left in Xavier's good guy block being white males, while Magneto's supposedly dangerous and radical wing comes across (unintentionally) as much better, being multi-ethnic, having women, and being more diverse and accepting. None of this was done deliberately by the film makers, but the fact that this managed to happen unintentionally says a lot for how little aware the makers were in crafting their own tale of oppressed persons who are marginalised in society, by managing to marginalise people who actually are oppressed person that are marginalised by society.

EDIT: Oh, and every female character was sexualised, with some in very contrived ways - like Moira pulling her clothes off in practically the first scene we see her in.
Hmm, Ok. Well, with the black hero dying first... the black character dies first in just about every other movie out there. It's an old joke I could care less about. If Bishop dies first in DoFP though give me a call dude. We're storming FOX!

I tend to just accept it that black characters in a majority of big blockbusters or superhero movies will most likely get the short end of the stick. At the same time though, it can also be very easy to nitpick about the mistakes they made with them if they're in the movies. For example, while I haven't read much on it but I wouldn't be surprised if I read 'complaints' about Electro in ASM 2. Even though I think Jamie Foxx is a cool choice for him I could pretend to go off and say 'Of course they paint him blue!' 'Why did Gambol have to die first in TDK!' etc etc.

I thought it was pretty weak to see Darwin go out but you can always look at it in several ways instead of just saying of course they kill the black one. You can argue that Darwin was the only one brave enough and willing to stand up to Shaw in that moment and ended up being the sacrifice that pulled the younger X-Men together. Maybe not the ideal scenario for a lot of people but it's not a crime to look at it that way either.

The other things you brought up were surprising and I never really looked at the characters that were Jewish or non-American specifically like that. Since the X-Men and this movie is mainly about the US, not to mention during the Cuban Missile Crisis, I'm not surprised that the other countries had a bit of an evil edge to them.

But anyways, that's a deep analysis of the movie and every character. If that's how you feel about them then I won't tell you you're wrong as it's your opinion. I'll say that I don't feel as strongly about the issues with race or possible sexism in that movie in particular. It seems in a way like you are asking for the perfect X-Men movie, which does everything right, with all of it's characters and themes. I just don't know if that will happen anytime soon. This is honestly the first time I heard of people having those problems with First Class, except for the camera lingering on Darwin after Shaw said 'enslaved' which made sense and didn't offend me.

James Dean
Old 08-30-2013, 04:39 AM   #948
Spider-Aziz
Shinya Kogami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlosser85 View Post
Michelle Rodriguez and Kristen Stewart both act exactly the same in every single movie they are ever in. I don't really get why critics bash Stewart in Twilight but act like she's a good actress in other stuff, because she acts the same.
One reason I never believe there is anything as quality acting is this, not only for those two, even Sean Connery, Daniel Day Lewis, Keanu Reeves, etc... they all do that, play the same way every other movie

Old 08-30-2013, 04:49 AM   #949
JaD
Thriller Night

I don't really know how you could possibly have Keanu Reeves and Daniel Day-Lewis in the same sentence together regarding acting range...

James Dean
Old 08-30-2013, 05:04 AM   #950
Spider-Aziz
Shinya Kogami

I need to be convinced acting skill does exist to say if I should separate them
I wanted to add Adam Sandler as well, also Rob Schneider

Closed Thread