The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-30-2013, 12:56 PM   #11
Drizzle
Assemble Again

Default Re: Marvels biggest slap in the face!!!

MCU films:

Iron Man 3
Mandarin in Iron Man 3 was the only major "slap in the face" out of the MCU for me. It took me right out of the movie when his true identity was revealed. In fact, I wish I had been spoiled about that before I had seen the movie just so I could go in prepared. It didn't bother me as much the second time I saw it because I knew it was coming, but it was still pretty weak, given how much they hyped him up.

Since I'm a stickler for continuity and I hate recasting, I could say the recasting of Bruce Banner and Rhodes were a slap to the face and Marvel could have just played ball with Norton and Howard, but since Ruffalo and Cheadle have done a great job with their roles, I'll let it slide.

Non-MCU films:

Fantastic Four Films
Casting Jessica Alba as Sue Storm. I didn't even like it back when it was first announced. I thought the other three did a solid job, especially Michael Chiklis as Thing, but she was just miscast. Dr. Doom was a joke as well. And the Galactus cloud was just utterly stupid.

Spider-Man 3
Now, I liked Spider-Man 3. I still do. Is it a great film? Not particularly, but I do find it enjoyable. In fact, I find the "Birth of Sandman" scene to be one of the best in Raimi's trilogy. Was Venom given the short end of the stick? Yes, but at least it was somewhat faithful to the character and not an abortion like cloud Galactus or Barakapool. He was forced into the story due to fan service. Venom is my favorite Spider-Man villain, so I was at least happy we got to see him on the big screen and hopefully they do the character more justice in the new Spider-Man series. But the one thing I can't forgive is Emo Peter. That was just ridiculous.

X-Men: The Last Stand
I don't have the same problems with X3 as others do. In fact, I kind of liked it. Cyclops's death didn't bother me because I never cared for the character in the films. But what did bother me was how short it was. The fact that the movie is only an hour and a half is a giant slap in the face. That's not enough time to properly resolve all of the plot lines. The movie was rushed, and it shows. I also feel like too many characters were sidelined, like Rogue and Mystique. Hell, they introduced Angel and they barely gave him anything to do. It's a bit of a mess, but it's nothing compared to...

X-Men Origins: Wolverine
Pretty much the whole damn movie. It's so bad it makes X-Men: The Last Stand look like X2. The only redeeming factor is Liev Schrieber's Sabretooth. Deadpool in the beginning was a little true to the character even though he wasn't wearing a mask, so I'll let that slide. But Weapon XI (aka Barakapool aka Deadpool In Name Only) was an abomination. The character's nickname is "The Merc With A Mouth" and what do they do to his mouth? Sew it right the **** up. Are you kidding me?!? That whole ordeal was just salt on the wound after seeing my favorite X-Men character Gambit on screen for a measly five minutes of screentime. What the hell happened there, Fox? Thank god they've been moving in the right direction with this franchise since First Class.