The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Avengers: Age Of Ultron

Old 08-29-2013, 12:30 PM   #76
misjuevos
WUUHAAAAAAAAA!

Default Re: War Machine Better Be in This One

sure throw in another guy who's suit can easily be taken over by ultron. except this guy doesn't have a clue how to purge ultron's AI. it would make for some cool scenes.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:33 AM   #77
TheJediBrah
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Why on earth would Stark become Director of SHIELD? MCU Stark is nothing like 616 Stark in terms of politics and philosophy. MCU Stark hates SHIELD, and everyone in it. Not to mention that he does not and has not ever worked for SHIELD in the MCU.
Which is what would make it such a fascinating storyline progression

TheJediBrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:41 AM   #78
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

I highly doubt War Machine will be in this. And honestly, he shouldn't be. It's alreayd too crowded, and he'd really have no place in this story.

The earliest I ever want to see Rhodes show up in an Avengers film is A3, where they'll be facing Thanos. And if its anything like the comics, then every hero possible in the MCU will be showing up for that fight, including War Machine.

Yeah, I'm just worried that if Pan of Steel isn't widely accepted by the audience and critics, they might try to shoehorn Pinocchio into the sequel, and we all know how long Hollywood has been trying to do a 'Pan vs Pinocchio' team up movie.
The Legend of Labeouf by Schlosser85
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=226

#Hypsters4Sawyer
SpideyFan866 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:49 AM   #79
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
Storyline progression requires *progress*. There has been *none* in that direction, thus a plot wherein it suddenly happens is out of nowhere and bad writing.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:06 PM   #80
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
If by "fascinating," you mean "totally out of character, boring and counterintuitive," then yeah, I could see it. People pay good money to see Iron Man repulsor-blast stuff to kingdom come, not Tony Stark doing a Power Point presentation at staff meetings.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #81
TheJediBrah
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Storyline progression requires *progress*. There has been *none* in that direction, thus a plot wherein it suddenly happens is out of nowhere and bad writing.
Not sure what films you're watching but I've seen significant progress between Iron Man 1 and The Avengers. And he's still not there yet but by the time we get to Avengers 3 he might be.

Quote:
If by "fascinating," you mean "totally out of character, boring and counterintuitive," then yeah, I could see it. People pay good money to see Iron Man repulsor-blast stuff to kingdom come, not Tony Stark doing a Power Point presentation at staff meetings.
I dunno, seems like people enjoy RDJ's humor and attitude just as much, if not more, than the "repulsor-blasting". Especially if you've got a dozen other characters that can do that.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:06 PM   #82
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Not sure what films you're watching but I've seen significant progress between Iron Man 1 and The Avengers. And he's still not there yet but by the time we get to Avengers 3 he might be.

I dunno, seems like people enjoy RDJ's humor and attitude just as much, if not more, than the "repulsor-blasting". Especially if you've got a dozen other characters that can do that.

There's exactly one other character that can fire repulsors, so I'm not sure where you're getting a dozen.

As for Director of SHIELD: I see no evidence of a "story progression" anywhere in the Iron Man or Avenger movies that point towards Tony taking on that role at some point.

If anything, *Steve Rogers* is far more likely to assume that role by the end of CATWS than Tony Stark. He's actually got the chops and experience within the agency, as well as the level-headedness and leadership qualities to be promoted to the Directorate. That could very well be what Joe Russo was implying when he talked about "a very big shift at the end of this movie" for the MCU.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:16 PM   #83
TheJediBrah
Side-Kick

Quote:
There's exactly one other character that can fire repulsors, so I'm not sure where you're getting a dozen.
Wow, you actually took that literally.

Quote:
As for Director of SHIELD: I see no evidence of a "story progression" anywhere in the Iron Man or Avenger movies that point towards Tony taking on that role at some point.
If you're looking for someone saying "hey y'know Tony would be a good director of SHIELD one day" as a sign of progression then you're right. But rarely are things so obvious.

Quote:
If anything, *Steve Rogers* is far more likely to assume that role by the end of CATWS than Tony Stark. He's actually got the chops and experience within the agency, as well as the level-headedness and leadership qualities to be promoted to the Directorate. That could very well be what Joe Russo was implying when he talked about "a very big shift at the end of this movie" for the MCU.
I agree, Definitely. I didn't say Tony Stark would be the best, or most likely. I was responding to previous posters who mentioned it, and saying how interesting it would be.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:02 AM   #84
Visualiza
What is a yout?

IM3 has essentially cemented Rhodey as an agent of the POTUS first and foremost. The best we could hope for is a quick cameo of him taking out some baddies and that's it. He won't feature prominently in any Avengers film; take that to the bank. Feige and Co. simply aren't taking him in that direction, and it's obvious. With that being said, I like what was done with him in IM3. I would have liked to see him actually kick some butt in the armor, but still, as a character he was given more exploration than both of the previous films combined.

Last edited by Visualiza; 09-06-2013 at 06:07 AM.
Visualiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:43 PM   #85
Kiltman
E-list Character

Tony has been so Anti-establishment so far in every movie he's been in, that I agree there is probably next to no chance he becomes the director of SHIELD in the MCU.

A Rhodey cameo has plenty of ways to work without feeling pigeon-holed in....not sure if they'll do it but it'd be nice.

Kiltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:50 PM   #86
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Tony alone has access to all of SHIELD's secrets. Tony alone has been known to run a large organization with loose ties to the military. Tony is the only one whose walked onto the helicarrier and stared giving orders and trying to figure out how Fury runs things. Him being anti-establishment doesn't prevent him from giving orders in establishments, or else he wouldn't have a huge company. It'd be a good story... too bad there's not a comic book story to draw from on that issue.

I think a War Machine cameo could be pretty awesome. It's never too crowded for a plot-relevant cameo.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:17 AM   #87
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

To me, I feel like War Machine should just continue as a supporting character in the Iron Man movies.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:51 AM   #88
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
Tony alone has access to all of SHIELD's secrets. Tony alone has been known to run a large organization with loose ties to the military. Tony is the only one whose walked onto the helicarrier and stared giving orders and trying to figure out how Fury runs things. Him being anti-establishment doesn't prevent him from giving orders in establishments, or else he wouldn't have a huge company. It'd be a good story... too bad there's not a comic book story to draw from on that issue.
Yeah, but Tony can't *buy* his way into SHIELD. Just because he *thinks* he's the boss when he swaggers onto the Helicarrier bridge doesn't make him the boss. It's still a government agency and a bureaucracy, and Tony Stark isn't part of it. Nor would he want to be.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #89
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Does he not want to be the boss, or does he think he's the boss? The comics storyline worked fine, unless MCU SHIELD is not an appointed position like it is in the comics.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:34 PM   #90
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
To me, I feel like War Machine should just continue as a supporting character in the Iron Man movies.
There may not be any more Iron Man movies for some time. I don't want WM disappearing for years just because there's no IM movie, he should appear somewhere else. I still think that Falcon is much morel likely to appear in AOU than WM.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:25 AM   #91
Just_Human
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddlerTheDalek View Post
At least a Cameo of War Machine would be Cool.
His cameo in IM3 prelude comic is enough IMO

Just_Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:28 AM   #92
Nathan
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Man, Cap's, Thor's and Tony's faces look really weird.

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:54 AM   #93
Loki882
Side-Kick

Rhodey, you show up JUST after all the fighting/danger is over, but in plenty of time to join the after party, very clever of you.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:17 AM   #94
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Rhodey, you show up JUST after all the fighting/danger is over, but in plenty of time to join the after party, very clever of you.
In Rhodes' defense, if you read that IM3 prequel, Tony Stark is the reason that WM doesn't show up until the fighting is over.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:38 AM   #95
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
In Rhodes' defense, if you read that IM3 prequel, Tony Stark is the reason that WM doesn't show up until the fighting is over.
I read the comic, I was just making a joke. The whole "miss the fighting, but eat the food" is too obvious not to make fun of.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:11 AM   #96
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

I wouldn't mind a cameo appearance of war machine fighting off ultrons assault at another location. If the ultron threat is widespread ,that is.

Saving Mr. Banks- 9/10, Jack Ryan- 7/10, The Lego Movie- 9/10, Non-Stop- 8/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 10/10, The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8/10, Godzilla- 7/10, Days of Future Past- 8/10, Edge of Tomorrow- 8.5/10, Transformers 4- 7.5/10, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes- 10/10, Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10
Quasimod0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:40 PM   #97
cph9fa
Side-Kick

I don't know how accurate this is, but it says he "has a part to film in the next Avengers movie."

cph9fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:19 PM   #98
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cph9fa View Post
I don't know how accurate this is, but it says he "has a part to film in the next Avengers movie."

Suck it, War Machine haters.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:09 PM   #99
CoherentChaos
Side-Kick

Lots of 'huge parts' in this movie already. lol it's gonna have to have a LOTR run-time to avoid getting crammed.

I mean, it's great that Rhodey's going to have a role, and that Hawkeye is supposedly going to be done justice. Add on whatever Banner's up to, and Black Widow, and I gotta wonder if maybe the main 3 might be pushed to the side lines a bit.

Any word on what Whedon has planned for Thor in AoU?

CoherentChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:13 PM   #100
Ant-manic
Banned User

if the military gets involved, it'd be easy to slot Rhodey in.

Ant-manic is offline   Reply With Quote