Default Re: The Best, The Worst of Smallville

I'm still have a huge fan of the episode "Reckoning"

NewYorkSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:05 AM   #277
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

Obsession, Unsafe and Pariah are some of my fave ones. Alicia Baker

I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
gohei_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:44 AM   #278
Johnny
Side-Kick

Crusade, Rosetta, Commencement, Homecoming. These episodes are in their own league, nothing ever came close to them.

Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:10 AM   #279
jedisprite
Man of Tommorow

Homecoming was perfect. Although it should have been really good considering it was episode 200. It's one of the few highlights of season 10.

jedisprite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:21 PM   #280
Johnny
Side-Kick

I don't hate Season 10 but it didn't reach its true potential.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:31 PM   #281
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
I don't hate Season 10 but it didn't reach its true potential.
Honestly they should have just left the whole darkseid storyline out. The VRA storyline could have served perfectly well as a season arc, especially since they were building up for Clark to step out of the shadows as superman. While I'm not crazy about their version is slade, at least he made for an interesting villain and would have made for an adequate big bad, or hell, have that aged lex clone from be season premier survive the first episode and orchestrate the VRA from the shadows building up for his body to be used by mirror world Lionel to resurrect lex somehow. The luthor legacy and the VRA story lines would have been Perfect to end the show on, darkseid wasn't needed.

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.

Last edited by DarkSovereignty; 10-06-2013 at 12:09 AM.
DarkSovereignty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:00 PM   #282
Johnny
Side-Kick

I disagree, the Darkseid story should've been given more focus, instead of the VRA arc.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:49 PM   #283
Prison Mike
Don't drop the soap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSpider View Post
I'm still have a huge fan of the episode "Reckoning"
I watched this episode the other day. I still get misty eyed during the funeral scene.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:58 PM   #284
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Reckoning was one of the first new episodes that I watched since I had just gotten into the show halfway through season 5. I was so excited about the episode and even though I had heard some rumors about who would die, I definitely got teary eyed when it actually happened. That's the first time a TV show ever did that to me.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:57 AM   #285
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

Darkseid was horrible in Smallville, after Doomsday they should have known better. Turning him into the devil was insulting. I also didn't like the Lionel Luthor ploy, it just seemed like a lame attempt to redo evil Lionel from the earlier seasons when they had already changed him. If S10 had focused on Clark proving the govt and world could trust him and then at the end discovering they needed the hidden hero to have a face that would have been good. But I do wish they would not have done the whole govt/military equals evil route.

Szetsilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:24 AM   #286
NewYorkSpider
We're Doomed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prison Mike View Post
I watched this episode the other day. I still get misty eyed during the funeral scene.
Everything about that funeral scene was perfect. The song choice was excellent too. It was "I Grieve" by Peter Gabriel.

I also loved how Lex was watching from a distance.

NewYorkSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:32 AM   #287
Johnny
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szetsilya View Post
Darkseid was horrible in Smallville, after Doomsday they should have known better. Turning him into the devil was insulting. I also didn't like the Lionel Luthor ploy, it just seemed like a lame attempt to redo evil Lionel from the earlier seasons when they had already changed him. If S10 had focused on Clark proving the govt and world could trust him and then at the end discovering they needed the hidden hero to have a face that would have been good. But I do wish they would not have done the whole govt/military equals evil route.
Ah "insulting", typical fanboy outrage. If it wasn't pathetic enough already. Smallville has always changed the characters to fit the story they were telling. Darkseid being the "devil" is no different than Doomsday having a human alter ego. Plus, he wasn't really the devil, he did bring his alien planet and we were told about the apokoliptans and Orion being his son, so his origin as the alien warlord was probably still intact, he just didn't have a physical body. I wanted to see more of that story because there were too many things happening in S10 at once, and Darkseid didn't really get a chance to shine. I knew I wasn't going to see huge battles, this story was about the young hero accepting his destiny, not about the powerhouse vs the epic villain. We did get that in Man of Steel and seems like many weren't happy as well. So what exactly do some people want is beyond me. I don't think they even know themselves.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:46 AM   #288
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
Ah "insulting", typical fanboy outrage. If it wasn't pathetic enough already. Smallville has always changed the characters to fit the story they were telling. Darkseid being the "devil" is no different than Doomsday having a human alter ego. Plus, he wasn't really the devil, he did bring his alien planet and we were told about the apokoliptans and Orion being his son, so his origin as the alien warlord was probably still intact, he just didn't have a physical body. I wanted to see more of that story because there were too many things happening in S10 at once, and Darkseid didn't really get a chance to shine. I knew I wasn't going to see huge battles, this story was about the young hero accepting his destiny, not about the powerhouse vs the epic villain.
You know this is a place for fans to complain right? And his complains are legitimate, i sometimes don't know what is worse, fanboys that complain about everything or fanboys that make excuses for everything

Quote:
We did get that in Man of Steel and seems like many weren't happy as well. So what exactly do some people want is beyond me. I don't think they even know themselves.
People complained because it was bad and the action was excessive, you don't need to be a superman fan to know that

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:55 AM   #289
Johnny
Side-Kick

Except that I wasn't making excuses pal. This person claiming Darkseid's treatment was "insulting" is probably part of the same type of people who've been saying this nonsense about every villain on the show, not realizing that Smallville has always been one alternate universe. Plus, I explained why Darkseid was the way he was, don't you tell me that's an excuse, did you even read what I said? Yet, his complaints are legitimate and my defense is an excuse? Damn, fanboys indeed.

PS: From what I've seen, usually to these "people" if the action isn't "excessive", then it's "not enough". They definitely don't know what they want and more than deserve to be called out on it.

Last edited by Johnny; 08-16-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:35 AM   #290
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

First of all I am a fan girl. And you need a better comeback then trying to insult me and generalize me. There were many villains done well on Smallville Lex Luthor being just one of them. Darkseid and Doomsday were the worst portrayed on the show; it was worst for Darkseid because atleast Doomsday was good until the S8 finale. They did not have the budget or time to do Darkseid well and should never have touched him or his minions.
For Doomsday the action was built up, the writers made it seem like something epic was going to happen and then didn't deliver.
For Darkseid I don't want action this version of Clark is so weak he'd get killed in seconds; what I wanted was an actual good villain and story; surprisingly the VRA story was done better despite the shows anti govt bull crap.

Last edited by Szetsilya; 08-25-2013 at 01:40 AM.
Szetsilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:48 AM   #291
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

I agree. I loved what they did with Doomsday/Davis up until the final showdown between him and Clark.

I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
Old 08-25-2013, 04:14 AM   #292
Johnny
Side-Kick

Oh you bet I will generalize you when you act like it. The problem with Darkseid to me was his non-existing presence during the season. Using his minions is a good touch but they should've let his presence be around more often. Davis was a main character in S8, he was always there, Darskeid was like a secondary villain who was barely mentioned, that's what sucked. But there's nothing insulting into changing him into a different type of entity, Bizarro was very different too, so was Brainiac to a certain degree. Darkseid simply lacked the menacing aspect that these guys had, the Omega symbols didn't really compensate for it.

Last edited by Johnny; 08-25-2013 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:30 AM   #293
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohei_ View Post
I agree. I loved what they did with Doomsday/Davis up until the final showdown between him and Clark.
Personally I could have lived without the human form of Doomsday. While Darkseid was underwhelming I much preferred what they did with him over Doomsday(which took up way to much tv time)

SV Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:17 AM   #294
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

On one hand, I didn't like how they always went for the convenient "someone from the main cast is possessed" that they stories, and how everyone had to be connected somehow. But I can understand that they had a really small budget after a certain point and were trying to cut corners as best as they could.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:19 AM   #295
Harley2004
Side-Kick

It's been so long since I have watched any of these. Going into season 4, is so great after season 3. The 4th season is so much lighter and funner, with Lois and just the tone of the show. Season 3, as Smallville could get quite often, was very melodramatic.

Harley2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:50 PM   #296
Prison Mike
Don't drop the soap!

Season 3 was pretty dark but still a favorite of mine. Season 6 was probably the most depressing one IMO.

Old 08-31-2013, 04:07 AM   #297
Johnny
Side-Kick

It was depressing alright. The fake baby storyline bored me to death.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:49 AM   #298
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prison Mike View Post
Season 3 was pretty dark but still a favorite of mine. Season 6 was probably the most depressing one IMO.
I would actually argue Season 5 was the most depressing Season, Season 6 was most like a soap opera(more melodrama then actual depressing storylines).

SV Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:28 AM   #299
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

The best: when the show actually had a budget and could afford to shoot on location instead of using and reusing the same sets/lots over and over again.

The worst: when they didn't and couldn't.

Last edited by The Boy Scout; 09-06-2013 at 02:32 AM.
The Boy Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:44 AM   #300
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Scout View Post
The best: when the show actually had a budget and could afford to shoot on location instead of using and reusing the same sets/lots over and over again.

The worst: when they didn't and couldn't.
Yes. That is one of the reasons why I mainly think the earlier seasons are better than the later ones.