The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 08-31-2013, 01:35 PM   #76
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Default Re: Marvels biggest slap in the face!!!

I like him as a AI

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
The Sinister Six- The album
Doc Ock Green Goblin Rhino Kraven Mysterio
Featuring hits like "lol haters, we aint giveing up the rights" "Forget you, Sam Raimi" "Marc Webb aint my daddy" "Hey WB, we made a female superhero movie!"

Hitting a store near you in 2016!
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:50 PM   #77
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENERAL RAAM582 View Post
They did the Jarvis thing because they didn't want the GA to think IM was a copy of Batman.
I understand that

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlueWonder View Post
I like him as a AI
As do i, but still one of the most inaccurate, that's all i'm pointing out.

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:56 PM   #78
OcStat
Side-Kick

It's inaccurate, but it's not insulting.

Even Mandarin was still a formidable opponent when all is said and done, unlike a plethora of other villains we can name.

Cyclops is the leader of the team the movie is friggin' named after!

Boy that whole fiasco gets me worked up, haha. This should be a poll! Then you would all have the confirmation that Cyclops is the slap that stings the worst.

OcStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:58 PM   #79
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

The purpose of the film medium is to experiment and try different interpretations of characters and events. Doing panel-to-panel adaptations is unoriginal and defeats the purpose of film; why bother hiring some of the best creative minds, when the storylines can be done as motion comics? Besides, the notion of disservice is arbitrary; the comics are still present--Marvel is not going to take them away. If anything, being a fan of the comic genre - at a time when continuity is an illusion-presupposes an ability to accept and negotiate innumerable interpretations. If anything, the criticisms should be able successful executions of ideas, not devolving to a binary, where there is a 'yes' and 'no'; said binary is not present in the comics; half a century's worth of artists, regime changes, reboots, soft reboots, retcons, and everything in between have made made the characters and canon unstable, bound to change at any moment.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
ďAt DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:13 PM   #80
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

^ Excellent Post ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by OcStat View Post
Even Mandarin was still a formidable opponent when all is said and done, unlike a plethora of other villains we can name/
I only saw the movie once but i only remember him drinking, watchin Footie and walking around in his pants

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:17 PM   #81
GENERAL RAAM582
The Amazing Spider-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
The purpose of the film medium is to experiment and try different interpretations of characters and events. Doing panel-to-panel adaptations is unoriginal and defeats the purpose of film; why bother hiring some of the best creative minds, when the storylines can be done as motion comics? Besides, the notion of disservice is arbitrary; the comics are still present--Marvel is not going to take them away. If anything, being a fan of the comic genre - at a time when continuity is an illusion-presupposes an ability to accept and negotiate innumerable interpretations. If anything, the criticisms should be able successful executions of ideas, not devolving to a binary, where there is a 'yes' and 'no'; said binary is not present in the comics; half a century's worth of artists, regime changes, reboots, soft reboots, retcons, and everything in between have made made the characters and canon unstable, bound to change at any moment.
That's why I'm fine with changes that work for a film. Case in point, the ending to Watchmen in the film felt better than the squid thing. Doing what they did to Mandarin really hurt the film. I have no emotional ties to IM or Mandarin, but that just really hurt the film for me.

GENERAL RAAM582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:12 PM   #82
OcStat
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidwarrior View Post
^ Excellent Post ^

I only saw the movie once but i only remember him drinking, watchin Footie and walking around in his pants
So you missed the scene at the end where Killian explicitly states that he is the Mandarin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GENERAL RAAM582 View Post
That's why I'm fine with changes that work for a film. Case in point, the ending to Watchmen in the film felt better than the squid thing. Doing what they did to Mandarin really hurt the film. I have no emotional ties to IM or Mandarin, but that just really hurt the film for me.
Yeah the Watchman ending was a good original element added to the movie, I especially liked how it all tied in with Dr. Manhattan.

The Mandarin was changed during adaptation, but it was done in a way that, to me, made the character more interesting for cinema. Taking away the rings or whatever is not an injustice to the character, introducing Trevor wasn't either because that character was not the Mandarin. And they still get all the essential elements of the character in there. Just a different power set.

Compared to say, Angel, who is thrown in X3 for some reason or another, and literally doesn't do anything.

Last edited by OcStat; 08-31-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:45 PM   #83
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by OcStat
So you missed the scene at the end where Killian explicitly states that he is the Mandarin?
Right. Killian was the Mandarin, not Slattery. Saying Ben Kingsley played the Mandarin is like saying Ken Watanabe played Ra's Al Ghul.

Kahran Ramsus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:12 PM   #84
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OcStat View Post
No. i saw the scene where Killain said that, i also saw a scene in TBBT where Sheldon Copper said he was Batman.

I queued to see the Mandarin they advertised

This guy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran Ramsus View Post
Saying Ben Kingsley played the Mandarin is like saying Ken Watanabe played Ra's Al Ghul.
Type "Iron Man 3 Mandarin Poster" into Google and see what comes up.

Compare that to a "Batman Begins Ra's al Ghul Poster" search

Old 08-31-2013, 04:19 PM   #85
Drizzle
Assemble Again

Right, Killian was the true Mandarin, but it was just disappointing that the Ben Kingsley Mandarin that had been hyped up since the very first trailer, the one who actually sort of bore a resemblance to the comic version, was just a decoy. At least with Ken Watanabe as "Ra's Al Ghul", there was very little seen of him in the marketing campaign and it didn't make it seem like he was the main focus of the film.

Quote:
I guess my main problem with the X-Men film series is that nobody ever calls out Wolverine on his ****. As the badboy character of the series, that is kind of necessary. Iron Man has Captain America (and Rhodey and Pepper in the solo films), Han Solo has Luke & Leia, James Bond has M and Felix, Kirk has Spock, etc. But Wolverine is ALWAYS presented as being right. At least until his latest film.
Professor X and Storm butted heads with Logan a few times throughout the trilogy, if that makes a difference. Which it probably doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidwarrior View Post
As to casting big name actors who don't fit the role but are used because they draw audiences (Jessica alba, Ben Affleck ect...), i've noticed this more and more recently. Glenn close as Nova Prime, Bencio Del Toro as the Collector, James Spader as Ultron, Jamie Foxx as Electro. None of these fit the characters imo, even though they are good actors and will do a good job.
Glenn Close and Jamie Foxx I'll give you, but I think Del Toro and Spader fit their characters perfectly. The Collector's got sort of a wild look to him that Del Toro is good at pulling off, and Ultron needs a unique voice that can be cold and calculating, which I think Spader is more than capable of.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:28 PM   #86
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
The purpose of the film medium is to experiment and try different interpretations of characters and events. Doing panel-to-panel adaptations is unoriginal and defeats the purpose of film; why bother hiring some of the best creative minds, when the storylines can be done as motion comics?
Meh. I've seen panel for panel work perfectly for audiences and I've seen major changes work as well. I don't have a problem with either as long as they are not losing what makes the characters work in first place. Besides Watchmen, I've rarely heard complaints that something was so accurate it didn't work. It still takes alot of creative work to bring these characters and stories to life either way. I don't think it defeats the purpose of film at all. But that's subjective to the viewer I guess.

Last edited by def28; 08-31-2013 at 06:32 PM.
def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:38 PM   #87
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
No offence, but most of that just looks like fan nitpicks
None of those were nitpicks. They were all major problems that impacted the quality of the films. Why do you think that none of the X-films or the FF franchise ever broke out to become major blockbusters? Because they were low-quality films for the most part, made by a studio that didn't want to lay out the cash to make great ones.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:48 PM   #88
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
None of those were nitpicks. They were all major problems that impacted the quality of the films. Why do you think that none of the X-films or the FF franchise ever broke out to become major blockbusters? Because they were low-quality films for the most part, made by a studio that didn't want to lay out the cash to make great ones.
The amount of money a film makes has nothing to do with quality. Spider-Man 3 was hated by fans, critics, and to a lesser extent the GA. It was the top Marvel Movie at the BO till TA.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Featuring hits like "lol haters, we aint giveing up the rights" "Forget you, Sam Raimi" "Marc Webb aint my daddy" "Hey WB, we made a female superhero movie!"

Old 08-31-2013, 07:06 PM   #89
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
The amount of money a film makes has nothing to do with quality. Spider-Man 3 was hated by fans, critics, and to a lesser extent the GA. It was the top Marvel Movie at the BO till TA.
In the case of the Fox films, I would argue that their quality has a lot to do with their box office performance. The X franchise has been chugging along for over a dozen years with many installments but it has never caught fire, despite being based on some of the most popular comic books in history. In contrast, Iron Man shot to A-list status with a character whom many derided as a D-list hero nobody other than geeks knew about. Iron Man/Tony Stark is now more popular and recognized than Wolverine, who was long touted as Marvel's second most popular character behind Spider-Man. The difference between the Iron Man and the X-Men films is quality, plain and simple.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:07 PM   #90
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Too much boring story and substance and not enough one-liner jokes or ya i imagine.

Quote:
The difference between the Iron Man and the X-Men films is quality, plain and simple.
Agreed. One has more, the other has three movies.

Last edited by CyclopsWasRight; 08-31-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:11 PM   #91
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Quote:
In the case of the Fox films, I would argue that their quality has a lot to do with their box office performance. The X franchise has been chugging along for over a dozen years with many installments but it has never caught fire, despite being based on some of the most popular comic books in history. In contrast, Iron Man shot to A-list status with a character whom many derided as a D-list hero nobody other than geeks knew about. Iron Man/Tony Stark is now more popular and recognized than Wolverine, who was long touted as Marvel's second most popular character behind Spider-Man. The difference between the Iron Man and the X-Men films is quality, plain and simple.
I thought X2 and First Class were considered better than IM2 and IM3 at least.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:14 PM   #92
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
The Wolverine is also considered better than those from some polls i've seen.

Iron Man has only one great movie, the first. After that well.

As for the X-Men franchise having never caught fire. Well according to this

http://www.superheronation.com/2011/...erhero-movies/

X-Men, X2 and First Class are considered better than 2/3 of the Iron Man trilogy

And according to this. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchi...rvelcomics.htm

are 9th, 11th, 12th, 14th, 15th and 17th of the highest grossing Marvel movies.

Out of 31 that's damn good

Last edited by CyclopsWasRight; 08-31-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:16 PM   #93
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Easily.

Kahran Ramsus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:37 PM   #94
OcStat
Side-Kick

X2=IM3 > FC > IM2.

Of course these are all our own opinions so let's try not passing off this info as fact. Especially when it comes to box office numbers or RT scores as a standard for quality.

Last edited by OcStat; 08-31-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:44 PM   #95
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

In my personal opinion it goes FC > X2 > TW > X1 >IM3 > IM2.

Depends on ones interests of course

Old 08-31-2013, 07:48 PM   #96
OcStat
Side-Kick

I remember enjoying First Class in theatres but haven't seen it since. I don't recall it being better than the originals, a lot of people have high praise for it though I will have to watch it again.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:10 PM   #97
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

Shane Black's complete bastardization of "Iron Man: Extremis", one of the character's greatest stories.

Yeah, I'm just worried that if Pan of Steel isn't widely accepted by the audience and critics, they might try to shoehorn Pinocchio into the sequel, and we all know how long Hollywood has been trying to do a 'Pan vs Pinocchio' team up movie.
The Legend of Labeouf by Schlosser85
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=226

#Hypsters4Sawyer
SpideyFan866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:13 PM   #98
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
I thought FC was on par with X3. Both of those films completely disregarded continuity, featured badly-written dialog, almost everyone was out of character and the action sequenced were poorly designed and executed. The makeup and effects are just slightly better than a SyFy movie. FC is shockingly bad and completely overrated by fans. The GA took a pass on FC because the ads revealed its low quality and even hardcore fans didn't go back for repeat viewings in the theater. Hence its low BO total.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:17 PM   #99
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Right. Killian was the Mandarin, not Slattery. Saying Ben Kingsley played the Mandarin is like saying Ken Watanabe played Ra's Al Ghul.
Except that Watanabe didn't make a pathetic excuse for a joke out of his character. THAT hurt the movie.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:23 PM   #100
OcStat
Side-Kick

His character was a joke in the scene where he was supposed to be. Not a joke through out the whole movie. I don't recall any one laughing at his broadcasts.

Quote:
I thought FC was on par with X3. Both of those films completely disregarded continuity, featured badly-written dialog, almost everyone was out of character and the action sequenced were poorly designed and executed. The makeup and effects are just slightly better than a SyFy movie. FC is shockingly bad and completely overrated by fans. The GA took a pass on FC because the ads revealed its low quality and even hardcore fans didn't go back for repeat viewings in the theater. Hence its low BO total.
Now I really have to watch it again. I too was irritated how the movie disregarded trying to mesh with the events from Singers films, especially with him producing. Vaughn did say the movie was not intended to follow the continuity of the originals, which some people liked, but I thought it was a mistake. Even more so now since with DoFP we know the movies are connected.

Last edited by OcStat; 08-31-2013 at 08:34 PM.