The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Old 08-31-2013, 06:15 PM   #251
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Default Re: Overrated Comic Book Films

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
This is probably not the thread for it, but I strongly disagree. Indeed, prior to Marvel's new phases, I'd say Nolan more than any other filmmaker drew directly from the source material. He may have toned everything down visually or with exposition, but he took directly from about seven iconic Batman stories and graphic novels when he made his trilogy, and it shows.
I do think the core of the characters were good and stayed true to the comics.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
The Sinister Six- The album
Doc Ock Green Goblin Rhino Kraven Mysterio
Featuring hits like "lol haters, we aint giveing up the rights" "Forget you, Sam Raimi" "Marc Webb aint my daddy" "Hey WB, we made a female superhero movie!"

Hitting a store near you in 2016!

Last edited by Green Goblin; 08-31-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 06:47 PM   #252
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

The dark knight
X-men

Saving Mr. Banks- 9/10, Jack Ryan- 7/10, The Lego Movie- 9/10, Non-Stop- 8/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 10/10, The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8/10, Godzilla- 7/10, Days of Future Past- 8/10, Edge of Tomorrow- 8.5/10, Transformers 4- 7.5/10, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes- 10/10, Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10
Quasimod0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:05 PM   #253
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
2. The Amazing Spider-Man: This is a bad movie. But because it has no elements of camp and Peter Parker makes quips, fans have convinced themselves it is good. 'Nuff said.
No campiness doesn't make it a good movie. Just a better movie.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:06 PM   #254
Kimura
Banned User

The Avengers is so freaking praised and so not impressive that iīd have to say it is the most overrated comic book movie ever. To me a movie with some good action scenes and a couple of cool one liners is not worth being considered a masterpiece. It is really not that different than any other super hero movie, with the exception of having a little better dialogue and better visuals. Story is very important to me and The Avengers fails on that aspect.

Kimura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:25 PM   #255
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

I thought i was the only one who felt so underwhelmed at The Avengers lack of meaning and story and emotion and substance and y'know filmmaking stuff.

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:30 PM   #256
Kimura
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidwarrior View Post
I thought i was the only one who felt so underwhelmed at The Avengers lack of meaning and story and emotion and substance and y'know filmmaking stuff.
I think a good percentage of the people who love that movie so much donīt really care about that stuff. I know for a fact that a lot of people just wanna see good action and good visual effects.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:33 PM   #257
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimura View Post
The Avengers is so freaking praised and so not impressive that iīd have to say it is the most overrated comic book movie ever. To me a movie with some good action scenes and a couple of cool one liners is not worth being considered a masterpiece. It is really not that different than any other super hero movie, with the exception of having a little better dialogue and better visuals. Story is very important to me and The Avengers fails on that aspect.
I'm there too. I think they had all these characters with their own franchises and couldn't/didn't want to give them any progression to their respective stories so they could do it in their respective movies. On e way or the other you're right, it was all about the razzle dazzle.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:45 PM   #258
Kimura
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Pleasury View Post
I'm there too. I think they had all these characters with their own franchises and couldn't/didn't want to give them any progression to their respective stories so they could do it in their respective movies. On e way or the other you're right, it was all about the razzle dazzle.
Yap.

Weīre gonna put all these characters together and make them destroy NY fighting Aliens. Ok. Thatīs fine. Letīs just not call it the greatest thing ever.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:43 PM   #259
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Iron Man.

Uninteresting villain, and it's hard to look past the idiocy of the Iron Man suit being built in a week from spare parts in a cave.

Last edited by DA_Champion; 08-31-2013 at 10:51 PM.
DA_Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:52 PM   #260
A Necessary Evil
Stark Raving Mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Pleasury View Post
No campiness doesn't make it a good movie. Just a better movie.
Says the guy with a Pee Wee Herman avatar!

Quote:
The little A-Holes that could.
ANE's hate for TASM2 is epic.
A Necessary Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:56 PM   #261
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
Iron Man.

Uninteresting villain, and it's hard to look past the idiocy of the Iron Man suit being built in a week from spare parts in a cave.
With a box of scraps.

Saving Mr. Banks- 9/10, Jack Ryan- 7/10, The Lego Movie- 9/10, Non-Stop- 8/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 10/10, The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8/10, Godzilla- 7/10, Days of Future Past- 8/10, Edge of Tomorrow- 8.5/10, Transformers 4- 7.5/10, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes- 10/10, Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10
Quasimod0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:05 AM   #262
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Necessary Evil View Post
Says the guy with a Pee Wee Herman avatar!

A Necessary Evil, satire. Satire, A Necessary Evil.

Old 09-01-2013, 01:46 AM   #263
SilentWarriorZ
men of bats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimura View Post
I think a good percentage of the people who love that movie so much donīt really care about that stuff. I know for a fact that a lot of people just wanna see good action and good visual effects.
Too much Bayism in movies has spoiled the Audience but they just won't realize it

SilentWarriorZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:39 AM   #264
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

The most overrated films are (according to this thread) TA,TDKR,TDK,BB,SM2 and TASM.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Featuring hits like "lol haters, we aint giveing up the rights" "Forget you, Sam Raimi" "Marc Webb aint my daddy" "Hey WB, we made a female superhero movie!"

Old 09-03-2013, 08:22 PM   #265
Milu
Batterson J. Manford III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leenie View Post
Though I can't help but laugh when some fanboys try to compare this to The Avengers with doozies like, "The Avengers was a great movie, but The Dark Knight Rises is a great film." B**ch, please.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:32 AM   #266
Oscorp
Side-Kick

The Dark Knight Rises comes first to mind. It's a great film, but no way near as great as many make it seem. It isn't even close to top TDK in my opinion.

Spider-Man 2 is a little overrated as well if you ask me. Again, it's a great film, but lots of people seem to think it's THE greatest CBM, up there with TDK. I just can't agree with that.

X2 is a little overrated as well. Many people say it's the best X-Men film. I'd say it's below The Wolverine and First Class. The first half is great but there's something about the second half I enjoy much less.

Oscorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:39 AM   #267
Oscorp
Side-Kick

Quote:
If just based on the fan community--as the GA really has not raved years later about any of them, other than the very not-overrated TDK and TDKR classics--I would say:

1. The Avengers: I like the movie. I own the movie. It is a terrific piece of popcorn entertainment...but there is not much plot to speak of and it certainly drags for much of the first 70 or 80 minutes until they're all on the Hellicarrier, and even then things like Agent Coulson's death ring a little hollow.

A good movie that has iconic visuals and terrific Whedon dialogue? Sure. "This generation's Star Wars?" Hardly.

2. The Amazing Spider-Man: This is a bad movie. But because it has no elements of camp and Peter Parker makes quips, fans have convinced themselves it is good. 'Nuff said.

3. Superman II: A fun movie. But it is not as good as STM, because while Zod is great, the pacing drags big time in the second act and Superman/Lois really is not that interesting. Again, I like this movie, but when I see some call it the best superhero sequel of all time I suppress an eye roll.

4. Iron Man (2008): Another movie that I like. I just don't see why so many consider it a masterpiece. Jon Favreau borrowed the formula from Richard Donner, with all the flourishes and added ironing provided for by Sam Raimi and Chris Nolan...and that's it. Story wise, it is almost the same plot as BB, the real stand out is RDJ. He is amazing in the role and makes a decent film great. But not the best origin story ever and certainly not one that reinvents the wheel. Honestly, you can turn the movie off after Tony saves the F-22s because the third act is just a mess, save for Jeff Bridges' one great moment when he steals Tony's reactor.

5. Captain America: A totally mediocre and forgettable film, yet some love it because it is set in the 1940s. That doesn't make it good when the plot literally stops halfway through and it turns into a 60 minute prologue to The Avengers. If you want a good pulpy comic book film, check out the director's other, superior, variation on the subject: The Rocketeer.

My two cents on the topic.
I must say that you sure as hell oversimplify opinions you don't agree with. Such an arrogant attitude makes it hard to take you seriously.

Oscorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #268
Thoix
Side-Kick

Quote:
If just based on the fan community--as the GA really has not raved years later about any of them, other than the very not-overrated TDK and TDKR classics--I would say:

1. The Avengers: I like the movie. I own the movie. It is a terrific piece of popcorn entertainment...but there is not much plot to speak of and it certainly drags for much of the first 70 or 80 minutes until they're all on the Hellicarrier, and even then things like Agent Coulson's death ring a little hollow.

A good movie that has iconic visuals and terrific Whedon dialogue? Sure. "This generation's Star Wars?" Hardly.

3. Superman II: A fun movie. But it is not as good as STM, because while Zod is great, the pacing drags big time in the second act and Superman/Lois really is not that interesting. Again, I like this movie, but when I see some call it the best superhero sequel of all time I suppress an eye roll.

4. Iron Man (2008): Another movie that I like. I just don't see why so many consider it a masterpiece. Jon Favreau borrowed the formula from Richard Donner, with all the flourishes and added ironing provided for by Sam Raimi and Chris Nolan...and that's it. Story wise, it is almost the same plot as BB, the real stand out is RDJ. He is amazing in the role and makes a decent film great. But not the best origin story ever and certainly not one that reinvents the wheel. Honestly, you can turn the movie off after Tony saves the F-22s because the third act is just a mess, save for Jeff Bridges' one great moment when he steals Tony's reactor.

5. Captain America: A totally mediocre and forgettable film, yet some love it because it is set in the 1940s. That doesn't make it good when the plot literally stops halfway through and it turns into a 60 minute prologue to The Avengers. If you want a good pulpy comic book film, check out the director's other, superior, variation on the subject: The Rocketeer.

My two cents on the topic.
I agree with points 1, 2, 3, and 5. Although, I don't call TASM bad and I like CA:TFA a bit more than you.

Last edited by Thoix; 09-05-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Thoix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:55 PM   #269
Human Torch
OK,who brought the dog?

Well,I agree with him on TASM,at least.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:45 PM   #270
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Captain America is just an average movie at best. I don't know why people said it was great when the main villain was weak and was easily defeated by Captain America. Then there's also that weak approach to Bucky's death.

"I wanna be able to touch people, Logan. A hug, a handshake, a kiss." - X3
*smiles* *walks away* - X4
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:13 AM   #271
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscorp View Post
I must say that you sure as hell oversimplify opinions you don't agree with. Such an arrogant attitude makes it hard to take you seriously.
Sorry Oscorp but I don't think DACrowe is arragont. While I disagree with her on the likes of TASM I enjoy debating with her and think she makes good points and doesn't come across as a dick. She's just saying why dans overrate these movies in a nutshell.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #272
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:

Dead on.

Quote:
Dead on.

Quote:
I don't really think Superman II is overrated. Its problems are well documented. It has just got a lot of attention lately because it did Zod better than MoS. Stamp and Reeve are regarded as great, not so much the film itself. You aren't wrong in what you say. I just don't think it gets nearly as much praise as you think it does.

Quote:
Dead on. Much like Superman II, Iron Man is a great character. The films he's in, not so much. Unlike Superman II, this one actually is regarded as a classic for some reason.

Quote:
You are right about the problems, but they didn't bother me as much as they seem to do you. I did think this was a legitimately great film up until the point Cap returns from rescuing Bucky and his regiment, at which point it goes off the rails. I guess I just enjoyed the first half enough to recommend it.

Kahran Ramsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #273
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Captain America is just an average movie at best. I don't know why people said it was great when the main villain was weak and was easily defeated by Captain America. Then there's also that weak approach to Bucky's death.
Probably because they thought other things, like the entire portrayal of Steve Rogers, were both incredibly good and more important. It had its weaknesses, sure, but it also had its strengths, and those strengths were, IMO, more important.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:25 PM   #274
BATZARRO WWD
Campeador Boricua

I've always thought X-Men Uno was a bit rough around the edges. The characterizations are pretty great and the plot is good enough, but it's kind of...compacted. All too short, too low budget.

At the same time it's easy to think that in the year of The Wolverine and Man of Steel. Eventually the series bloomed and X2 is a very solid movie. It broadened the themes of the first and gave a grander spectacle.

Now, I think we all gave a pass to Batman Begins for being a serious take on the franchise, but looking back on it it's not that great. The fighting is pretty poor and the villains were not really that interesting.

But it's probably the most detailed superhero origin story to date, what with depicting everything down to buying supplies. The rough early days. Too bad they decided the days were going to stay mostly that rough forever because that's "realistic".

Last edited by BATZARRO WWD; 09-15-2013 at 09:37 PM.
BATZARRO WWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:14 AM   #275
Human Torch
OK,who brought the dog?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATZARRO WWD View Post
I've always thought X-Men Uno was a bit rough around the edges. The characterizations are pretty great and the plot is good enough, but it's kind of...compacted. All too short, too low budget.

At the same time it's easy to think that in the year of The Wolverine and Man of Steel. Eventually the series bloomed and X2 is a very solid movie. It broadened the themes of the first and gave a grander spectacle.

Now, I think we all gave a pass to Batman Begins for being a serious take on the franchise, but looking back on it it's not that great. The fighting is pretty poor and the villains were not really that interesting.

But it's probably the most detailed superhero origin story to date, what with depicting everything down to buying supplies. The rough early days. Too bad they decided the days were going to stay mostly that rough forever because that's "realistic".
True.I gave it a pass originally,thinking "Heck,it's the early years.Sure, things will get more fantastic and sophisticated in the sequels."Didn't quite work out that way,but it's still one of my favorites.