The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 04:51 AM   #976
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Default Re: The Batsuit Thread - Part 3

Eh, I still think he's nothing special as an actor and I certainly wouldn't have liked him as Bruce/Batman.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:52 AM   #977
Uroboric Forms
Your Move, Creep

I think one way to have both the white lenses and allowing Ben to emote with his eyes is to blend the mask tight into the eyes with prosthetics and have pure white contact lenses. This could allow the mask to move with his brow, and the closest thing to a cinematic attempt at this are cutscenes from the Arkham Games, instead of being panda eyes.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:58 AM   #978
regwec
Shakespearo

In principle that does seem the best idea, but I think it would be unbelievably difficult to engineer. CGI would seem the easier route to the same effect, even if it is a bit of a cheat.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:33 AM   #979
Bathead
The Oldest Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo90 View Post
Thickish fabric. ..no spandex
No offense, but this Spandex thing is getting kinda old. Nobody who wants a fabric based suit has EVER advocated Spandex. In fact the only ones who ever bring Spandex up are those folks who oppose a fabric suit.

*splat*
Old 09-02-2013, 08:45 AM   #980
Bathead
The Oldest Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
People can argue that it was just the shading and the way the light fell on it because printing methods couldn't allow them to print black effectively at the time. However, there are plenty of pictures around where Batman has a blue cape and cowl and he's in the same picture as Superman, and both blues look exactly the same. So, unless people want to argue that Superman's costume was also really black, then Batman wore blue.

I'm sure posters here will be able to provide pictures supporting this.
Well, this is true, that was the original intention. However it is obvious that over the years that it changed to it actually being blue.
I must say though, your contention that the blue on Superman and Batman were the same blue therefore if Bats' blue was supposed to be black, then Supes's suit must also be black, doesn't wash. You're ignoring the fact that Superman's hair was also highlighted with that same exact blue, by your logic, then it could be argued that Superman's hair is blue as well. But, regardless, by the time Bats started hanging out with S-man, the suit by that point was blue and grey.
Face it, the original idea was the blue was meant only as a highlight for the black parts of Batman's suit, (Batman was even referred to once in a 1940's comic as being "black -clad") but that it did indeed change to an actual blue over the years.

*splat*
Old 09-02-2013, 08:54 AM   #981
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

I personally think grey with black looks eerier than FULL on black.

Old 09-02-2013, 09:38 AM   #982
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathead View Post
Well, this is true, that was the original intention. However it is obvious that over the years that it changed to it actually being blue.
I must say though, your contention that the blue on Superman and Batman were the same blue therefore if Bats' blue was supposed to be black, then Supes's suit must also be black, doesn't wash. You're ignoring the fact that Superman's hair was also highlighted with that same exact blue, by your logic, then it could be argued that Superman's hair is blue as well. But, regardless, by the time Bats started hanging out with S-man, the suit by that point was blue and grey.
Face it, the original idea was the blue was meant only as a highlight for the black parts of Batman's suit, (Batman was even referred to once in a 1940's comic as being "black -clad") but that it did indeed change to an actual blue over the years.
Highlighted being the operative word. It wasn't all blue with the odd black shading. There was usually more black than blue whereas Batman's cape had blue as the major colour with the odd black shading merely providing definition.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:14 AM   #983
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathead View Post
No offense, but this Spandex thing is getting kinda old. Nobody who wants a fabric based suit has EVER advocated Spandex. In fact the only ones who ever bring Spandex up are those folks who oppose a fabric suit.
I've said it before, but I don't have any inherent problem with spandex, per se. So long as it's not cheap spandex. Thicker, more textured spandex-based outfits have looked great onscreen before, be it in the Spider-Man films or with Superman himself in Man of Steel, I even seem to remember the base layers of the spacesuits in Prometheus being a spandex-type material.

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Old 09-02-2013, 10:15 AM   #984
regwec
Shakespearo

Quote:
Highlighted being the operative word. It wasn't all blue with the odd black shading. There was usually more black than blue whereas Batman's cape had blue as the major colour with the odd black shading merely providing definition.
Also, blue-cowled Batman was often pictured alongside black uniformed cops, or a black coated Penguin.

As has been said before, what was originally intended as a highlight had definitely become the "actual" colour at some stage.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #985
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
Also, blue-cowled Batman was often pictured alongside black uniformed cops, or a black coated Penguin.

As has been said before, what was originally intended as a highlight had definitely become the "actual" colour at some stage.
That was the iconic colour of Batman during the Bronze Age of the 70s and early 80s. The Neal Adams version featured so heavily in all toys, merchandising and marketing, and still shows up even today despite these all-black versions since 1989.

Funnily enough, Adam West's Batman seemed more purple than blue or black.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:19 AM   #986
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uroboric Forms View Post
I think one way to have both the white lenses and allowing Ben to emote with his eyes is to blend the mask tight into the eyes with prosthetics and have pure white contact lenses. This could allow the mask to move with his brow, and the closest thing to a cinematic attempt at this are cutscenes from the Arkham Games, instead of being panda eyes.
So, something similar to how they did the Batman Begins demon?

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Hammer once said that he would've had something similar in JLM as far as the mask goes...

http://forums.superherohype.com/show...postcount=6656

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman

Last edited by Lencho01; 09-02-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:33 AM   #987
Uroboric Forms
Your Move, Creep

That wasn't what came to mind immediately, but yes, I don't see why that couldn't work.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #988
ArmsHeldOut
Peak Human

Quote:
In some cases, blue actually was the more dominant color.

John Dryden, Absalom and Achitophel
Old 09-02-2013, 12:14 PM   #989
roach
I am the night

His cowl at one time was blue
Attached Images
File Type: jpg batman-neal-adams.jpg (105.5 KB, 0 views)

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in today’s protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You don’t like a story? That’s fine – don’t read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 09-02-2013, 12:14 PM   #990
ArmsHeldOut
Peak Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
This is pretty accurate.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #991
roach
I am the night

it's the same thing that happened to Moon Knight. He was always called the silver and jet avenger...yet because of the color limitations everyone thinks he is clad in all white.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg th.jpg (9.2 KB, 0 views)

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in today’s protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You don’t like a story? That’s fine – don’t read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 09-02-2013, 12:30 PM   #992
IamtheBatman
Side-Kick

They need to go the Batman Arkham Asylum suit route for Ben.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #993
HankTheTurtle
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uroboric Forms View Post
The problem with this is that the actual shape of a person's eyes when wearing white contacts isn't going to translate into the stylized white eyes you'll find in the comics.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:46 PM   #994
ArmsHeldOut
Peak Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamtheBatman View Post
They need to go the Batman Arkham Asylum suit route for Ben.
I'd be fine with a suit similar to that design, but, considering Affleck's tall height, I'd prefer shorter ears on the cowl much like the Batman Incorporated costume. The armored gloves should go as well.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:04 PM   #995
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmsHeldOut View Post
In some cases, blue actually was the more dominant color.

I said usually black was the dominant colour. Those are pretty early renditions of Superman anyway and certainly not around the time of the blue Batman. There's a difference even in those pics in the way the black is applied to his hair compared to his costume anyway, and Batman's blue was often rendered as uncomplexly shaded as Superman's costume in those pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
it's the same thing that happened to Moon Knight. He was always called the silver and jet avenger...yet because of the color limitations everyone thinks he is clad in all white.
He wasn't always called the silver and jet avenger. He wasn't even always an avenger.

Issues like the below clearly show him all in white, with black only being shadow.

Moon Knight, at the time, was seen more as a ghostly wraith, so he was definitely rendered all in white to appear more like a specter, with his name even being Mark Specter to add to this. And in fact, quite conversely to people thinking he was clad all in white, people thought that his mask was all in black when it was explained that in fact it was white and it was the shadow on it.

And these recent images of Moon Knight, where there are no limitations of the printing press also show him all in white, distinguishing it from his black and silver costume.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:25 PM   #996
Vaibow
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'd be fine with a suit similar to that design, but, considering Affleck's tall height, I'd prefer shorter ears on the cowl much like the Batman Incorporated costume. The armored gloves should go as well.

The Batman Inc suit looks the best.. of those

Old 09-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #997
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Quote:

This is the best suit. The cowl is perfect.

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

Old 09-02-2013, 01:48 PM   #998
roach
I am the night

Quote:

He wasn't always called the silver and jet avenger. He wasn't even always an avenger.

He was called the silver and white avenger as in someone that goes out and avenges...not a member of the Avengers

Issues like the below clearly show him all in white, with black only being shadow.

Moon Knight, at the time, was seen more as a ghostly wraith, so he was definitely rendered all in white to appear more like a specter, with his name even being Mark Specter to add to this. And in fact, quite conversely to people thinking he was clad all in white, people thought that his mask was all in black when it was explained that in fact it was white and it was the shadow on it.

And these recent images of Moon Knight, where there are no limitations of the printing press also show him all in white, distinguishing it from his black and silver costume.

Even Doug Moench ( the character's creator) mentioned that that Marvel gets it wrong when the color MK all white.

http://www.comicgeekspeak.com/episod...ek_speak-9.php

He's black and silver

Old 09-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #999
ArmsHeldOut
Peak Human

Quote:
I said usually black was the dominant colour. Those are pretty early renditions of Superman anyway and certainly not around the time of the blue Batman. There's a difference even in those pics in the way the black is applied to his hair compared to his costume anyway, and Batman's blue was often rendered as uncomplexly shaded as Superman's costume in those pics.
Indeed, those are early renditions of Superman. There are modern depictions of the character with the blue hair tint as well, though; but, like you pointed out, the black shading is applied precisely for the purpose of alerting readers that the overall color should be perceived as darker than the secondary one used for contrast.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

This is also a good way to identify brown haired characters (e.g., Scott Summers, Lois Lane, Hank McCoy, Hercules, Janet Van Dyne, etc.) who are sometimes erroneously mistaken for redheads because colorists have a tendency to depict their hair color with a reddish tint + black shading. Characters who are intended to be perceived as true redheads (Jean Grey, Jimmy Olsen, Mary Jane Watson) generally lack the aforementioned black shading.

Old 09-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #1000
ArmsHeldOut
Peak Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
Even Doug Moench ( the character's creator) mentioned that that Marvel gets it wrong when the color MK all white.

http://www.comicgeekspeak.com/episod...ek_speak-9.php

He's black and silver
Who cares about Moon Knight anyway?

Closed Thread