The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Batman World

Old 08-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #526
The Guard
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Batman & Robin Thread

It's fun under the right circumstances. It is what it is. It's not what a lot of people wanted, but it's a valid take on the characters, and it's very of its time, cinematically and comic bookwise.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:54 AM   #527
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

I started thinking about why Batman and Robin is as poor as it is, and identified 3 things:
1) The dramatic and drastic shift in tone between it and the previous films
2) Arnold's over-acting
3) Clooney being totally ill-suited both for following on from Keaton and Kilmer (because he's an entirely different type of actor than them) and for the tone of the script

This in turn led me to start thinking about what could've been done to avoid or mitigate these issues, and I came up with the following ideas:
1) Revise the script so that it retained more of the gothic/noir tone present in B89, BR, and BF
2) Drop Freeze's puns
3) Cast David Duchovny as Bruce/Batman; he is very much the same type of actor as Keaton and Kilmer, and would've felt like he was playing the same character

Everything else about the movie could have worked and worked well.

Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
Quote:
"There is no "supposed to be." It's an adaptation, a word that literally means change. Why bother making a new version if it doesn't offer a fresh approach?" - Christopher L. Bennett
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:59 AM   #528
Kane52630
Silver Shamrock User

Nah.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #529
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

^ If you're going to disagree with me, I would appreciate it if you explained why you disagree with me.

Quote:
"Despair is for people who know beyond any doubt what the future is going to be. Nobody's in that position. So despair is not only a kind of sin - theologically - it's also a simple mistake, because nobody actually knows." - Dr. Patrick Curry
Quote:
"There is no "supposed to be." It's an adaptation, a word that literally means change. Why bother making a new version if it doesn't offer a fresh approach?" - Christopher L. Bennett
Old 08-30-2013, 11:03 AM   #530
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

Kane just loves his Freeze puns too much

It makes him come off kind of cold sometimes.

Free Original Music
Brain Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:05 AM   #531
Kane52630
Silver Shamrock User

Just to put it simply, B&R knew exactly what it wanted to be...which I can't say the same for BF (although I still love it).

Old 08-30-2013, 11:27 AM   #532
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

I initially liked Batman and Robin after seeing it in theaters, but it is the worst of the live-action films and does suffer from the decisions that were made concerning it, especially in relation to the films that preceded it.

To its credit, the film does have elements in it that are remnants of the tone from the 3 preceding films - manifested primarily in the characterization of Poison Ivy (who reminds me very much of The Joker, The Penguin, Catwoman, Two-Face, and The Riddler) - but those elements get completely overshadowed by how dramattcally and drastically different the rest of the film's tone is.

BTW, the only reason I suggested going with Duchovney, the original choice to replace Kilmer, is because he is the same type of actor as Keaton and Kilmer, but Clooney could have been okay in the role if the script's tone had been different. It would have still have been jarring to go from Keaton and Kilmer to him (Clooney), but it wouldn't have been AS jarring.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-30-2013, 11:37 AM   #533
Cain
Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post
Just to put it simply, B&R knew exactly what it wanted to be...which I can't say the same for BF (although I still love it).
Good point. BF is tonally all over the place while B&R despite feeling like a hard punch to the gut when I saw it at the cinema at least was consistent.

Pull list: Saga, The Manhattan Projects, Thief of Thieves, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Future's End, Action Comics, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, Red Lanterns, Swamp Thing, Justice League, Justice League 3000, Justice League United, Earth 2, Earth 2: World's End, Worlds' Finest, Batman '66, Batgirl, Gotham Academy, Multiversity, X-O Manowar, Unity, Bloodshot, Archer & Armstrong, Daredevil, All-New X-Men
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #534
Cain
Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
I initially liked Batman and Robin after seeing it in theaters, but it is the worst of the live-action films and does suffer from the decisions that were made concerning it, especially in relation to the films that preceded it.

To its credit, the film does have elements in it that are remnants of the tone from the 3 preceding films - manifested primarily in the characterization of Poison Ivy (who reminds me very much of The Joker, The Penguin, Catwoman, Two-Face, and The Riddler) - but those elements get completely overshadowed by how dramattcally and drastically different the rest of the film's tone is.

BTW, the only reason I suggested going with Duchovney, the original choice to replace Kilmer, is because he is the same type of actor as Keaton and Kilmer, but Clooney could have been okay in the role if the script's tone had been different. It would have still have been jarring to go from Keaton and Kilmer to him (Clooney), but it wouldn't have been AS jarring.
I don't know about the Poison Ivy praise. I absolutely hated Uma's performance in this. Such terrible overacting. I think Arnie's Freeze on the other hand is kinda underrated.

Pull list: Saga, The Manhattan Projects, Thief of Thieves, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Future's End, Action Comics, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, Red Lanterns, Swamp Thing, Justice League, Justice League 3000, Justice League United, Earth 2, Earth 2: World's End, Worlds' Finest, Batman '66, Batgirl, Gotham Academy, Multiversity, X-O Manowar, Unity, Bloodshot, Archer & Armstrong, Daredevil, All-New X-Men
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:55 AM   #535
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
I don't know about the Poison Ivy praise. I absolutely hated Uma's performance in this. Such terrible overacting. I think Arnie's Freeze on the other hand is kinda underrated.
I don't think Thurman over-acts the role at all. Her intro scene does stray a little bit into overly cheesy territory, but I think that has to do more with the dialogue and the way the scene is lit than it does with her actual performance.

To each their own, though.

She does very much fit into the same mold as Burton's villains and Two-Face and Riddler, and, despite the cheesy aspects of it, her introductory scene does remind me, functionally, of the scene in Batman Returns where Selina confronts Max Schreck.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-02-2013, 09:31 PM   #536
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

I hope La La Land can acquire the rights to officially release Goldenthal's score.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:57 AM   #537
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
I hope La La Land can acquire the rights to officially release Goldenthal's score.
Hopefully... and surely it can't be that tricky. WB have pretty much handed them the DC licence anyway.

I know it's a lot of regurgitated material from Forever, but I always thought his new cues were really good.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Pfeiffer-Pfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:51 AM   #538
titansupes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
At the time of release/first images, what was everybody's thoughts on Clooney's Bat emblem? The design and colour, I mean?
I still want to know the answer to this.

titansupes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:43 AM   #539
SHADOWBAT69
outlaw

Quote:
I still want to know the answer to this.
I hated it. Not so much the bat design, but the lack of the yellow color in it.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #540
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
What was everybody's thoughts on Clooney's Bat emblem? The design and colour, I mean?

And thanks for that, Proximo.
I think the all-black bat-sign was the only thing I liked about the bat-suit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
I don't think Thurman over-acts the role at all. Her intro scene does stray a little bit into overly cheesy territory, but I think that has to do more with the dialogue and the way the scene is lit than it does with her actual performance.

To each their own, though.

She does very much fit into the same mold as Burton's villains and Two-Face and Riddler, and, despite the cheesy aspects of it, her introductory scene does remind me, functionally, of the scene in Batman Returns where Selina confronts Max Schreck.
Oh, there's a difference between being a bombastic character and just overacting the hell out of everything. Both Thurman and Schwarzenegger did the latter, with the value added of being unbelievably annoying. Over-acting in this case is an understatement.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:37 PM   #541
TheDarkKnight08
genius

Never thought I'd do B&R fanrt, but here ya go.

Clooney does look good in that cowl, though.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

If any character has ever earned the right to enjoy a happy retirement, it is Bruce Wayne. Nolan ought to be commended for caring enough about the character and believing enough in his own vision to provide a definitive, satisfying ending to the story of an ordinary man who turned tragedy into the motivation to accomplish something extraordinary.
TheDarkKnight08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:25 AM   #542
fimble

For me the whole film can be summed up by Arnies line "You know what killed the dinosaurs? The ice age!"

Like, what is that? Its not a pun, its not a joke, and it isn't a fact, seeing as the dinosaurs are widely accepted to have been wiped out by an asteroid impact. It isn't relevant to anything in the scene it is in, apart from it includes the words 'kill' and 'ice'.

I love the film. Every shot, every line, every plotpoint is the worst artistic decision they could possibly have gone for. Batman forever is just a mediocre kind of bad: B and R is so relentlessly terrible it becomes funny again.

Do you take Bat credit card?

fimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #543
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

This may be a bad movie but it's not pure awful. It's not even the worst DC film. That goes to Green Lantern.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
The Sinister Six- The album
Doc Ock Green Goblin Rhino Kraven Mysterio
Featuring hits like "lol haters, we aint giveing up the rights" "Forget you, Sam Raimi" "Marc Webb aint my daddy" "Hey WB, we made a female superhero movie!"

Hitting a store near you in 2016!
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:56 PM   #544
Rorschach2012
$

I'll always love this movie. It was what got me into Batman. I was 4 when it came out, and it was seriously the perfect movie for a kid my age.

And I agree, GL is so much worse than Batman and Robin. B&R gets a (rightfully so) bad rep, but I love it for what it meant to me when I was a kid.

Rorschach2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:08 PM   #545
Joshua_B
Banned User

Here's my basic breakdown of the film's elements...

The Good

1) Getting Chris O'Donnell, Michael Gough, Pat Hingle, and Joel Schumacher all back.
2) Arnold Schwarzenegger as Mr. Freeze.
3) Alicia Silverstone as Batgirl (great chemistry with Chris)
4) The core story being loosely adapted from "Heart of Ice".

The Bad

1) The film's ultra-campy tone (I mostly blame WB for this)
2) George Clooney as Batman (he made a good Bruce, but the rest...no.)
3) Uma Thurman as Poison Ivy (completely miscast)
4) Bane being completely useless

The Ugly

1) No Val Kilmer
2) Way too damn much neon
3) No mention of Chase at all
4) Piranha plants...really?!
5) The "credit card" scene

Joshua_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:25 PM   #546
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

You can get what kind of movie B&R is when the "good" list are not good things.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:11 AM   #547
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

The batcredit card scene is nothing short of brilliant.

this was his last post.
Naked Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 01:51 AM   #548
Joshua_B
Banned User

It was ridiculous in every sense of the word, as was everything about Poison Ivy in that film.

Joshua_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:17 AM   #549
Naked Bat
It's a TRAP!

you have no soul.

this was his last post.
Naked Bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:30 AM   #550
StarLord

If that were true then he really should have enjoyed this movie.

StarLord is offline   Reply With Quote