Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 02:42 PM   #101
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Default Re: Days of Future Past News and Discussion - - Part 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
But if there was a SuperBowl ad, that would have improved the weak marketing that The Wolverine received from FOX. It would have been THE beginning of the actual marketing of the film. Plus it would have shown that FOX had a big confidence with the movie and that they really wanted the movie to perform big at the box-office and to be seen by a lot of people.
Fox's marketing is very poor these days, we all know this. I'm not sure why. Did they make cuts to their marketing budget or their marketing department because of economic pressures or something?

If the studio can't get its act together with trailers and other marketing, there's no way they would even have considered a Superbowl spot. And I'm not sure it would have helped, to be honest.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:57 PM   #102
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
They're not really competitors.
They are competing for winter and spring marketing slots. Once the summer rolls around, we pretty much have a pretty good bearing of how the movies are going to perform, but early marketing and getting a leg up will play hand in hand in building buzz and augmenting those OW numbers.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:47 PM   #103
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

It doesn't need a Superbowl spot. There were plenty of big movies this summer that didn't utilize the Superbowl as a promotional tactic. The marketing landscape has changed - a good marketer knows it's all about social media, online and shareable content these days.

Television advertising isn't nearly as effective on the current market as it use to be. Not to mention, it's just economically not smart to invest in a ton of television (or print) promotion. Do Superbowl ads really have that much pull now compared to their heyday in mid to late 90s? Nope.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #104
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

See, I could never be in marketing, because I just don't get it.

Someone earlier complained that The Wolverine didn't begin promotion until March.

But the movie released in July.

Why is that bad that promotion didn't start until March??

Do people -really- need 5 months to figure out if they are going to go see a movie or not?

The only reason why I want a Days Of Future Past trailer NAIO is because I'm an impatient fanboy that wants footage NAIO NAIO NAIO, not because I need to decide if I'm going to see a movie in May, like 8 months away.

Outside of being an impatient X-Men fanboy, I don't need marketing months in advance to decide if I want to see a movie or not. I either do or I don't. And no amount of marketing is going to change that, and in fact, too much marketing might turn me off of it before I ever even see it.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #105
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
See, I could never be in marketing, because I just don't get it.

Someone earlier complained that The Wolverine didn't begin promotion until March.

But the movie released in July.

Why is that bad that promotion didn't start until March??

Do people -really- need 5 months to figure out if they are going to go see a movie or not?

The only reason why I want a Days Of Future Past trailer NAIO is because I'm an impatient fanboy that wants footage NAIO NAIO NAIO, not because I need to decide if I'm going to see a movie in May, like 8 months away.

Outside of being an impatient X-Men fanboy, I don't need marketing months in advance to decide if I want to see a movie or not. I either do or I don't. And no amount of marketing is going to change that, and in fact, too much marketing might turn me off of it before I ever even see it.
It's not bad - March was perfectly fine for a late July release. If you start any sort of hardcore marketing earlier than that you run the risk of overexposing your product and annoying consumers.

That's why viral marketing is so vital for big movies like this now. You need t0 let consumers know about it and get excited but nothing too much until closer to the release date.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:11 PM   #106
Angamb
Banned User

havent read all the comments, but I think in the case of DOFP, the sooner the teaser trailer comes the better.

and yes, Fox should put a super bowl spot. This is their biggest comic movie ever, so they should play ALL cards.

ALL.

If it works, great, if not, at least they tried and they will know what to do and what not to do next time.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:19 PM   #107
xrs13
Cold as ice

I think the issue with marketing these comic book films now is that because the market is starting to become over-saturated (and obviously comic book fans dont think that, but general audience are starting to get a bit like meh) it means fans want info earlier but the GA want it closer to the time, its kinda like cbm's are all trying to become event movies and it is sort of messing it up. look at gatsby, it has been wanted by so many people for a long time that they had to bring their A game, they released the songs they released trailers and made it an event and that is great for films that are offering a new thing or something a mass audience want.

It is my opinion but I sorta think it is marvels fault for the oversaturation in a way, purely because yeah its good to have the films for each character and the avengers but what in like 2017/2018 are we going to have thor 3 , cap 3, doc strange, another avengers, more solo films. I like the films but I do get why their mass advertising is starting to have a negative effect.

I think the wolverine was right to be closer to its release because it wasnt a big event movie, if they had done that it would have likely been slated by critics, i think fox knew it needed word of mouth and so they played it cool and had it come up as the underdog of the cbm's this year which made critics go "this was better than expected" and most people believe it was the best.

all of this is just my personal opinion btw I do get why people may disagree on the avengers bit but Freedom of speech ftw!!! haha :P

In terms of DOFP I think it is an event movie but I dont know how the GA will think when it comes to it now, I think they may be bored with the DKR, MOS and Avengers.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:22 PM   #108
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
havent read all the comments, but I think in the case of DOFP, the sooner the teaser trailer comes the better.

and yes, Fox should put a super bowl spot. This is their biggest comic movie ever, so they should play ALL cards.

ALL.

If it works, great, if not, at least they tried and they will know what to do and what not to do next time.
lol

As someone who works in marketing for a big company - that ain't how it works. You don't just throw away $4 million on one 30 second spot and just say "Oh yea, I hope it works" just because it's a big movie. You have to be smart about where and how you market and promote it.

Just because it's a summer blockbuster doesn't mean a Superbowl spot will be effective or appropriate. It depends on the whole tone of the movie and what they are trying to accomplish.

Not saying they won't do a Superbowl spot but I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they chose not to. There are many other, better options, they could spend $4+ million marketing dollars on.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:26 PM   #109
Angamb
Banned User

DOFP is a movie to appeal to a huge audience.

To miss a superbowl spot, to me, would be wrong. We are talking about the biggest x-men movie ever, so... to play cheap after all these years would be really dissapointing.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:36 PM   #110
xrs13
Cold as ice

It could be a movie to appeal to a huge audience but we all know the X-films are darker than the avengers, and right now it doesnt have the same influence as say the films up to the avengers or up to DKR. I know the nolan films had a dark tone and still attracted audience but batman is a completely different character to the X-Men and I just don't think the GA are that in touch with X-men anymore, it would cost a lot more than $4mil to get not only the superbowl but then a big enough campaign to advertise it coming off the past x-films, which in relation to the other cbm's have not performed as well as we would like. I would rather them spend that $4mil on a well thought out campaign than a superbowl spot alone, dont forget that the superbowl is just USA and out of all the franchises the X-Men are a worldwide pull.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #111
Snikt
Side-Kick

Two things I'm starting to get curious about.

1.) I'm wondering how much it'll make opening weekend. I'm hoping (and pretty confident) it'll crack $100 million for the four day weekend. It's really the first time X-Men has received a prime release day since Origins; which helped kick off the summer movie season in '09.

2.) Whether or not FOX will do an X-Men movie marathon leading into Days of Future Past.

I'm really hoping for a marathon because back when X2 and X3 came out, we had 2 movie theatres here in Cape Girardea; one crappy one and we still have this AWESOME Wehrenberg theatre. Sadly, I had to watch X2 and X3 at the crappy theatre...so I'd love to see all seven of them on the big screen in the best possible conditions.

What to you guys think?

Old 09-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #112
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrs13 View Post
It could be a movie to appeal to a huge audience but we all know the X-films are darker than the avengers, and right now it doesnt have the same influence as say the films up to the avengers
Exactly. The X-Movies are my favorite superhero franchise but it has NEVER had the same broad audience appeal like the Bat-films or Marvel's current crop of movies.

Could DOFP change that? Maybe. Will it? I probably won't hold my breath if the leaked trailer is any indication. The subject matter is just a little too layered than your typical superhero movie.

It could even bite the movie in it's own butt if it tries to tone itself down in order to fit a certain marketing campaign.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:54 PM   #113
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperT View Post
lol

As someone who works in marketing for a big company - that ain't how it works. You don't just throw away $4 million on one 30 second spot and just say "Oh yea, I hope it works" just because it's a big movie. You have to be smart about where and how you market and promote it.

Just because it's a summer blockbuster doesn't mean a Superbowl spot will be effective or appropriate. It depends on the whole tone of the movie and what they are trying to accomplish.

Not saying they won't do a Superbowl spot but I wouldn't be entirely surprised if they chose not to. There are many other, better options, they could spend $4+ million marketing dollars on.
Exactly. I work in marketing as well, and there is no way you throw $4 million at an ad spot and just hope that sticks.

There is absolutely no guarantee of success just because there was a Superbowl spot. That's been proven again and again.

In the past, Fox had done a great job promoting their films on their own networks - during American Idol, the Sunday animation lineup, and their own major sports programming (MLB and NASCAR among them). That's something that they don't seem to be doing so much of anymore.

First Class and The Wolverine also had horribly photoshopped posters. Two of the posters for The Wolverine had Logan holding a sword...and he never fights with a sword in the movie (although, admittedly, one of those sword posters is currently the wallpaper on my phone ). Thankfully, common sense prevailed and the ink poster eventually became the main poster, but not before we got some crazy photoshopped catastrophes beforehand.

They need a smarter marketing plan, one that actually understands what the movie they're trying to promote is. The viral campaign for DOFP has been great and the fans have been loving it, and that stinger at the end of The Wolverine was genius.

They need to be more like that...not just think a Superbowl ad is the whole solution to the problem.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:01 PM   #114
xrs13
Cold as ice

I really think a good way of doing it would be using those sentinel posters that they have done and start spreading them into shopping malls and on billboards and things like that by about march. I think they are really cool as little propaganda tools, its those things that I see and go oo thats interesting

Old 09-03-2013, 08:55 PM   #115
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
In hindsight a Superbowl ad for TW would have been a waste of $4 Mil (is it $4 Mil now?)
Imo, that would have improved the marketing and avoid the late March marketing start.

And FOX doesn't have a lot of merchandise deals for these X-Men movies, so they should at least cling to high-profile events to help spread awareness about the film. They should be aggressive with the marketing and if it will take them 4 million for a TV ad spot which is going to be seen by at least 100 million viewers in America, (SuperBowl is always the most watched show/event in TV every year) then so be it. The X-Men movies has never been that big compare to the other movie franchises, because the marketing of FOX aren't willing to do this kind of risk. If FOX will consider all their options, then maybe their X-Men movies would have earned more money at the box-office.

"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/

Last edited by psylockolussus; 09-03-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:03 PM   #116
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post

ALL.

Agreed Angamb, they need to go all in and really get this out there and get people excited.

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
Old 09-03-2013, 09:06 PM   #117
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
I'm wondering how much it'll make opening weekend. I'm hoping (and pretty confident) it'll crack $100 million for the four day weekend. It's really the first time X-Men has received a prime release day since Origins; which helped kick off the summer movie season in '09.
I'm hoping it would get more than 100 million in the opening weekend!

If it did not, it would feel a bit underwhelming especially Fast 6 earned more than 100 million for the 4 day weekend.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #118
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

As long as it's marketed properly it will get $100m.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:25 PM   #119
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Imo, that would have improved the marketing and avoid the late March marketing start.
There was nothing wrong with the March marketing start date for The Wolverine. Iron Man 3 didn't start hardcore marketing until late January early February around the Superbowl and that movie came out right at the beginning of May.

It's not about the start date for marketing, it's all about the tactics and how you execute the marketing strategy. A longer marketing window does not lead to more consumers buying your product it only opens the chance for people getting tired of hearing about you.

While not advisable they could have waited until mid May to June to start promoting it if they had an amazing marketing campaign for the movie.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:13 AM   #120
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Yes there was something wrong with the March marketing start date. People were not that interested with the movie compare to Iron Man 3/Man of Steel/the other summer movies and it just didn't help that they only really started to raise awareness about The Wolverine 4 months before the movie's release date.

And Iron Man 3 was the follow-up to The Avengers and it was opening the summer. Its situation was not similar to The Wolverine.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:55 AM   #121
Mr.M
Side-Kick

Comparing Wolverine to Iron Man and Man of Steel is comparing apples and origins... ah not even gonna fix that typo. Been surfing these boards for too long. Need some news or a trailer already.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:26 AM   #122
Angamb
Banned User

Well, there is a reason why some people mention those other characters.

Wolverine was the star of a full trilogy and had a first solo movie, so his popularity was higher than Ironman back in 2008.

And Superman, while being an Icon worldwide, had a modest boxoffice last time, with Superman returns.

so someone like Wolverine and Hugh Jackman, 100% more popular than Henry Cavill, well... should have gotten more attention than Cavill first movie as Supes.

Fox obviously didnt expect huge numbers from The Wolverine, and thats why the marking was decent, but not impressive.

But whatever the reasons are, right now Ironman and Superman have become bigger than Wolverine worldwide, so... we can only hope that Fox puts more focus from now in the actual team, and less in Wolverine, since his popularity and impact isnt as strong as it could.

X-MEN team has allways being bigger, so in this new era of comic movies, Fox should put the XMen Team where they belong.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #123
Scarlet Spider
Side-Kick

http://www.kpopstarz.com/articles/40...plot-rumor.htm

^ It's a rumor, so take it with a grain of salt, but Rachel Summers might appear in the film and played by Michelle Trachtenberg.

Remember back in April when filming started, Trachtenberg tweeted this:

What do you guys think of my new hair color?? #RedHeadsDoItBetter

Old 09-05-2013, 01:25 PM   #124
JP
Smelly

It's a false rumor.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #125
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

One way or another awareness of The Wolverine is very low, even now that it's been out a while. It didn't fail on its own merits, people just didn't really know about it.