The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman/Batman > Superman/Batman Movie

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #26
Zorex
No T, No Shade
 
Zorex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 5,896
Default Re: Hans Zimmers: Scoring Bats vs Supes AND Batman?

Uh, yeah, he'd better not recycle. Thing is, can he pull off giving us something that sounds new and not just a B-side to his previous Bat-material?

__________________
Go Forward.
Remember Where You Come From
Zorex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #27
the last son
Side-Kick
 
the last son's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,985
Default Re: Hans Zimmers: Scoring Bats vs Supes AND Batman?

I'm not into recycled themes. I want as much new Zimmer music as possible.

__________________
"I'm Drunk right now, because I'm an alcoholic"
the last son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #28
georgec
Not a hero
 
georgec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Belize
Posts: 3,213
Default Re: Hans Zimmers: Scoring Bats vs Supes AND Batman?

Love Zimmer (and JNH's) work on TDKT, but I thought his MoS score was incredibly lacking.

I'd like to see a new composer for BvS, but that's just me.

__________________
Superman with Batman - Whatever It Is... - Countdown until midnight release on May 6, 2016

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
georgec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:34 PM   #29
Project862006
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 21,208
Default Re: Hans Zimmers: Scoring Bats vs Supes AND Batman?

^really ??his mos score killed tdkt score

mos theme>batman theme

not to mention themes like flight and arcade were incredible

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:36 PM   #30
the last son
Side-Kick
 
the last son's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,985
Default Re: Hans Zimmers: Scoring Bats vs Supes AND Batman?

yea, but he did do incredible work throughout tdk series. it fit perfect and why do we fall is right up there with flight

__________________
"I'm Drunk right now, because I'm an alcoholic"
the last son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:08 PM   #31
Keyser Soze
I AM EXCITE!
 
Keyser Soze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Scotland
Posts: 19,225
Default Re: Hans Zimmers: Scoring Bats vs Supes AND Batman?

I can't be the only one who read Zimmer's quote and thought of Michael Caine saying, "And why do we fall, Master Affleck?"

__________________
Batman - The "World's Finest" DC RPG

Check out my comic, THE STANDARD!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Keyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #32
shauner111
Side-Kick
 
shauner111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 9,213
Default Re: Hans Zimmers: Scoring Bats vs Supes AND Batman?

The MOS score was AMAZING. Arcade is one of my favorite tracks. This project needs Zimmer but it also needs Zimmer to come up with little themes for Batman that are brand new. Ill be pissed if he recycles anything.

He should deliver minimal music for the Batman in this. Then when Affleck takes over the director chair, he can find a new composer.

shauner111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #33
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra
 
Dark Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tall and tan and young and lovely
Posts: 16,878
Default Re: Hans Zimmers: Scoring Bats vs Supes AND Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
The MOS score was AMAZING. Arcade is one of my favorite tracks. This project needs Zimmer but it also needs Zimmer to come up with little themes for Batman that are brand new. Ill be pissed if he recycles anything.

He should deliver minimal music for the Batman in this. Then when Affleck takes over the director chair, he can find a new composer.
The thing is that he does seem to recycle things. You hear quite a few similiarities in his work which sound like just an improvisation/variation on another previous theme. Of course with composers, their work might sound similar but should still be distinct enough.

__________________
Quote:
Anne Hathaway: "You did not just ask me that!! What a forward young man you are!!! My goodness!!"

Nominate your favourite Movie theme of all time for the upcoming tournament: http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=469413
Dark Raven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #34
georgec
Not a hero
 
georgec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Belize
Posts: 3,213
Default Re: Hans Zimmers: Scoring Bats vs Supes AND Batman?

If we're concerned about composers recycling themes, we should get James Horner.

__________________
Superman with Batman - Whatever It Is... - Countdown until midnight release on May 6, 2016

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
georgec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #35
Kevin Smith
Papa Spank!
 
Kevin Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central City
Posts: 5,590
Default Re: Hans Zimmers: Scoring Bats vs Supes AND Batman?

I liked Zimmer's MOS soundtrack ("If you love these people" is a fave of mine), and his Begins soundtrack grew on me a lot.


But other than that I hate the guy for superhero movies. I want a return to the Williams-esque type scores. This one or two note **** over and over again.....sucks. And I know Zimmer can do a little better than that with some stuff he's done....but good god, man, most of his stuff is just the same two notes over and over. It sucks. There's no build or bridge, no wonder or sweep to it.

__________________
My Idea for THE FLASH (Barry Allen) Movie:
PART 1
PART 2
PART 3
PART 4
PART 5
Kevin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:41 PM   #36
Milu
Batterson J. Manford III
 
Milu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: BIG APPLE, 3 AM
Posts: 2,428
Default Re: Hans Zimmers: Scoring Bats vs Supes AND Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgec View Post
If we're concerned about composers recycling themes, we should get James Horner.
Marvel-DC foreign exchange! ASM2 gets Zimmer, WF gets Horner... and a fantastic score (seriously, I loved his ASM score, though if anyone replaces Zimmer I support Shore).

__________________
Milu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:44 PM   #37
Elevator Man
Side-Kick
 
Elevator Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,806
Default Re: Hans Zimmers: Scoring Bats vs Supes AND Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlawlessVictory View Post
It's like Elfman with the Burton Batman and Raimi Spider-Man. Now it's Zimmer with the Nolan Batman and Webb Spider-Man.
I guess my avy's appropriate for this post/comment I'm making. But I'm definitely seeing a pattern between some of the projects Elfman and Zimmer work on. Both scored a Mission Impossible movie, a Hannibal Lector movie. Elfman wrote "The Simpsons" theme, while Zimmer scored "The Simpsons Movie". Zimmer , of course scored MOS, but if Burton's "Superman Lives" got made (and thank goodness it didn't) Elfman would've scored that as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
He better give us a new Batman if he does it. I don't want him recycling his Nolan theme.
Eventhough I'd rather somebody else score this SvsB movie, which obviously won't happen. I hope Hans comes with a real theme for this "new" Batman. Instead of a dozen themes/motifs that reflects Bruce's various personality traits from TDKT. Affleck's Batman supposedly is older and more experienced than Nolan's/Bale's. So he should earn his theme this time. It's going to be tough for Zimmer to not fall back on one of those dozen themes/motifs b/c I felt some were underdeveloped in the Nolan trilogy. He might try to develop one, but I honestly don't know what to expect. He seems to be game for a brand new Batman theme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Smith View Post

But other than that I hate the guy for superhero movies. I want a return to the Williams-esque type scores. This one or two note **** over and over again.....sucks. And I know Zimmer can do a little better than that with some stuff he's done....but good god, man, most of his stuff is just the same two notes over and over. It sucks. There's no build or bridge, no wonder or sweep to it.
I agree. I am not a fan of his superhero scores either. He's isn't really good at 'em, imo. And these movies seem to get the worse out of him, imho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milu View Post
Marvel-DC foreign exchange! ASM2 gets Zimmer, WF gets Horner... and a fantastic score (seriously, I loved his ASM score, though if anyone replaces Zimmer I support Shore).
That was one of the first things (out of a list of things) I thought of when Hans was announced as composer for TAS-M2. I wouldn't mind WB getting Horner for SvsB, but I know I'm in the minority on that. I also know that that won't happen. It's a shame Horner won't return forTAS-M2. I was really looking forward to what he'd come up with for sequel. Oh well.


Last edited by Elevator Man; 09-03-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Elevator Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:36 PM   #38
mclay18
Sexed-up archery
 
mclay18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,698
Default Re: Hans Zimmers: Scoring Bats vs Supes AND Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
The thing is that he does seem to recycle things. You hear quite a few similiarities in his work which sound like just an improvisation/variation on another previous theme. Of course with composers, their work might sound similar but should still be distinct enough.
The thing that bothers me about Zimmer's work on TDKT was that most of his best work was on Batman Begins. There was a moody and brooding side he captured beautifully in that score (I still love it), and there wasn't much of an expansion of it in the next two films. (And there was a promising theme that Zimmer abandoned in the next entries.)

Plus the scores for TDK and TDKR re-used a lot of Zimmer's music. Not just thematic material, but Zimmer merely rearranges and trims previously composed tracks to fit existing scenes. (Like the Arkham Asylum rescue music in BB re-arranged for the Hong Kong night time sequence in TDK.) I was really disappointed when the final cue from TDK was inserted in the final scenes for TDKR... instead of a new final cue.

I blame Nolan for suffering from temp-track love, and for Zimmer not having the balls to say "let me do something different". It's not the first time this has happened with Zimmer and a franchise entry -- POTC 4 had the exact same problem, music-wise.

__________________
Think McFly Think


"Come Think With Us."
mclay18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:50 PM   #39
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference
 
FeedOnATreeFrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,402
Default Re: Hans Zimmers: Scoring Bats vs Supes AND Batman?

TDK score was great. Dat interrogation scene.

FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:02 PM   #40
JackWhite
Third Man
 
JackWhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,610
Default Re: Hans Zimmers: Scoring Bats vs Supes AND Batman?

Eh, I really can't see Zimmer not re-hashing what he has already done with TDKT Soundtrack. He'd have practically an uphill battle trying to differentiate it from his first Batman themes.

JackWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:04 PM   #41
mclay18
Sexed-up archery
 
mclay18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,698
Default Re: Hans Zimmers: Scoring Bats vs Supes AND Batman?

All the better for him to not score this film, no?

__________________
Think McFly Think


"Come Think With Us."
mclay18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:05 PM   #42
JackWhite
Third Man
 
JackWhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,610
Default Re: Hans Zimmers: Scoring Bats vs Supes AND Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
All the better for him to not score this film, no?
Bingo.

JackWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:21 PM   #43
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized
 
BatLobsterRises's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,877
Default Re: Hans Zimmers: Scoring Bats vs Supes AND Batman?

The Batman scores are interesting in that, yes, they re-use a lot of material but at the same time both TDK and TDKR introduce a TON of new music. TDKR especially. Each film kind of has its own musical identity, IMO.

Zimmer answered about how I expected he would. Kind of torn but somewhat interested. I'm glad he mentioned doing a new Batman theme, it's mandatory IMO. I don't want to hear Barbastella pounding the subwoofer when I see Batfleck for the first time. It'd be like cheating an emotional response. The same way it would've been if they had used Elfman's theme for Batman Begins.

I still think Zimmer should consider working with a collaborator to pass the Batman torch to while he stays focused on Superman. Bah, this shouldn't even be an issue. I blame WB for "smuggling" Batman back into it as Zimmer put it.

__________________
IMAGINE THE FIRE
My TDKR Metal cover
My MOS Trailer 3 score recreation
My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:51 PM   #44
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference
 
FeedOnATreeFrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,402
Default Re: Hans Zimmers: Scoring Bats vs Supes AND Batman?

I think Zimmer/Snyder should score/direct the opening 'trilogy' of the universe:

2013 Man of Steel
2015 World's Finest
2017 Justice League

then somebody else takes over for the subsequent solo films.

2018 Superman: The Man of Tomorrow (Bird/Shore)
2019 Batman: The Dark Detective (Affleck/Martinez)
etc

or whatever.

(maybe they come back for JL2/JL3)


Last edited by FeedOnATreeFrog; 09-03-2013 at 11:56 PM.
FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:22 AM   #45
spider-neil
spins a web any size!
 
spider-neil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 11,553
Default Re: Hans Zimmers: Scoring Bats vs Supes AND Batman?

Zimmer has score the big three.
Batman.
Superman.
Spider-Man.

Elfman managed two but missed out on the iconic Superman.
Surprised the booted Horner off ASM2. I bought the ASM soundtrack as I thought it was excellent, I hardly ever buy soundtracks.

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:25 AM   #46
Elevator Man
Side-Kick
 
Elevator Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,806
Default Re: Hans Zimmers: Scoring Bats vs Supes AND Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedOnATreeFrog View Post
I think Zimmer/Snyder should score/direct the opening 'trilogy' of the universe:

2013 Man of Steel
2015 World's Finest
2017 Justice League
Meh! I hope not. WB needs to be more diverse. They're already relying too much on Goyer for these DC movies. They really need to think outside the box. You don't see Marvel relying on the same writers, directors, and composers for each franchise.

Elevator Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:23 AM   #47
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference
 
FeedOnATreeFrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,402
Default Re: Hans Zimmers: Scoring Bats vs Supes AND Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevator Man View Post
Meh! I hope not. WB needs to be more diverse. They're already relying too much on Goyer for these DC movies. They really need to think outside the box. You don't see Marvel relying on the same writers, directors, and composers for each franchise.
I say this based on the info we've got about Goyer. Isn't he slated to be the screenwriter for JL? Three picture deal?

FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:47 AM   #48
AnneFan
Hathaway #1
 
AnneFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 12,255
Default Re: Hans Zimmers: Scoring Bats vs Supes AND Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
The Batman scores are interesting in that, yes, they re-use a lot of material but at the same time both TDK and TDKR introduce a TON of new music. TDKR especially. Each film kind of has its own musical identity, IMO.

Zimmer answered about how I expected he would. Kind of torn but somewhat interested. I'm glad he mentioned doing a new Batman theme, it's mandatory IMO. I don't want to hear Barbastella pounding the subwoofer when I see Batfleck for the first time. It'd be like cheating an emotional response. The same way it would've been if they had used Elfman's theme for Batman Begins.
Well said. Mentally he was done with Batman but chances are he will do this movie. It would be an interesting scenario, as if Elfman had to come in and provide something different to what he did before. What would it sound like?

I like Zim's TDK trilogy Bat scores, but the complete scores, the cues as they appear in the film, really elevates the appreciation on my end. Goldenthal was good, but not to the level of Elfman or Zimmer, IMO.

__________________
I dreamed a dream and "it came true."
- Anne Hathaway, actress in a supporting role winner 2013 Oscars.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar
The Intern - Judy Garland biopic
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:48 AM   #49
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra
 
Dark Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tall and tan and young and lovely
Posts: 16,878
Default Re: Hans Zimmers: Scoring Bats vs Supes AND Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
Zimmer has score the big three.
Batman.
Superman.
Spider-Man.

Elfman managed two but missed out on the iconic Superman.
Surprised the booted Horner off ASM2. I bought the ASM soundtrack as I thought it was excellent, I hardly ever buy soundtracks.
Elfman also scored Ang Lee's Hulk, who is close to the top.

__________________
Quote:
Anne Hathaway: "You did not just ask me that!! What a forward young man you are!!! My goodness!!"

Nominate your favourite Movie theme of all time for the upcoming tournament: http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=469413
Dark Raven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:13 AM   #50
Keyser Soze
I AM EXCITE!
 
Keyser Soze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Scotland
Posts: 19,225
Default Re: Hans Zimmers: Scoring Bats vs Supes AND Batman?

I have loved Hans Zimmer's superhero work. The Dark Knight has one of my favourite film scores, and years later there are many tracks I still listen to repeatedly. But if Zimmer did end up not doing this film, and I could choose any composer to take over score duties, it would be Clint Mansell. Guy is a beast!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihF_aXi-Huk

__________________
Batman - The "World's Finest" DC RPG

Check out my comic, THE STANDARD!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Keyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.