The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 09-04-2013, 05:17 AM   #51
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Default Re: Hans Zimmers: Scoring Bats vs Supes AND Batman?

Desplat is always a great choice, I look forward to his work on Godzilla.

However, I'd bet my mother that Zimmer will be back.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:16 AM   #52
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

It will be Zimmer. BvsS is too big a movie to give to another composer.

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:23 AM   #53
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
It will be Zimmer. BvsS is too big a movie to give to another composer.
Are you saying Zimmer is the only who can handle it? There are plenty of other more-than-competent composers out there who can do a more memorable job than him. It's not like he's the only professional working in the business and the rest are amateurs.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:25 AM   #54
titansupes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
I blame Nolan for suffering from temp-track love, and for Zimmer not having the balls to say "let me do something different".
Then your blame is misplaced, since Lee Smith (the editor) has said that Nolan specifically forbids the use of temp tracks, as not to get a false read on the pacing of the cuts.

titansupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:25 AM   #55
Glassjaw
In training

It must be Zimmer.

Give. Me. More. Flight.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Glassjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:34 AM   #56
titansupes
Side-Kick

Anyway, I love Zimmer's work. Have since The Last Samurai, which was the first movie soundtrack I ever bought.

I love, love his work on The Dark Knight Trilogy.

I really love a lot of his Man of Steel score... But am bored by several tracks. I love his sound, I just wish he'd start branching out more now. It IS getting repetitive.

Ideally, I'd keep Zimmer on BvS, but maybe bring in someone else to collaborate on the Batman specific stuff. Maybe... Affleck could suggest someone...

Last edited by titansupes; 09-04-2013 at 06:40 AM.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:36 AM   #57
Project862006
Banned User

the mos theme is imo one of the best super hero themes since elfman's batman score

it was heroic,hopeful,sweeping,and filled with energy as well as having a slow build to a great climax
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

i want zimmer back

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:29 AM   #58
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Zimmer's Man of Steel theme is my favourite theme from any superhero movie, hands down.

FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:23 AM   #59
Jekecy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
I have loved Hans Zimmer's superhero work. The Dark Knight has one of my favourite film scores, and years later there are many tracks I still listen to repeatedly. But if Zimmer did end up not doing this film, and I could choose any composer to take over score duties, it would be Clint Mansell. Guy is a beast!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihF_aXi-Huk
His pieces reach such an incredible crescendo of euphoric bliss. I'd be absolutely elated if he got to work on Batman.

I don't mind Zimmer taking on BVS, if only for consistency's sake. But when the Batman series gets up and running again, I want its own identity. Clint would be fantastic. He captures the magical somberness tone perfectly.

Jekecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:27 PM   #60
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
Then your blame is misplaced, since Lee Smith (the editor) has said that Nolan specifically forbids the use of temp tracks, as not to get a false read on the pacing of the cuts.
Well there's always a first time. If it wasn't temp tracked then Zimmer must've felt sequel fatigue especially in TDKR. I wouldn't be surprised he felt the pressure of working on a batman score without the aid of JNH.

Elevator Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:17 PM   #61
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevator Man View Post
Well there's always a first time. If it wasn't temp tracked then Zimmer must've felt sequel fatigue especially in TDKR. I wouldn't be surprised he felt the pressure of working on a batman score without the aid of JNH.
Elevator Man on an Hans Zimmer Thread is always great entertainment.

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Sharkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 05:19 PM   #62
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Honestly they should just grow some balls and give the job to Christopher Drake, the guy is cranking out great Batman themes left and right already...so just give him the ultimate job of doing the big batman theme.

If they really want Zimmer without having Zimmer for Batman then I guess Lorne Balfe would work, he worked on the past three Batman films under Zimmer and he's done some pretty good work on his own as welll.

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Sharkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:11 PM   #63
titansupes
Side-Kick

Quote:
The interview was specifically for TDKR, as well as a look back on their history together. There have been no temptracks on Nolan's films during editing or otherwise. No temp love.

And I'd seriously doubt Zimmer felt any pressure on it, considering he'd done it twice before (and let's face it, gotten most of the credit) and countless other films over the decades. But it must've been his third Batman movie that scared him... Yeah, sure...

Last edited by titansupes; 09-04-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:17 PM   #64
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboy View Post
Honestly they should just grow some balls and give the job to Christopher Drake, the guy is cranking out great Batman themes left and right already...so just give him the ultimate job of doing the big batman theme.

If they really want Zimmer without having Zimmer for Batman then I guess Lorne Balfe would work, he worked on the past three Batman films under Zimmer and he's done some pretty good work on his own as welll.
I like what Christopher Drake's done on TDKReturns. Hopefullly some day that score will get a CD release. It deserves it. His score for In Darkness Dwells from Batman Gotham Knight was also great. The track "Killer Croc/Hallucinations/Scarecrow Interrupted" always astonishes me. Especially around the 2:00 mark, when batman swoops in to kick some butt.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Drake really GOT IT, imho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
The interview was specifically for TDKR, as well as a look back on their history together. There have been no temptracks on Nolan's films during editing or otherwise. No temp love.

And I'd seriously doubt Zimmer felt any pressure on it, considering he'd done it twice before (and let's face it, gotten most of the credit) and countless other films over the decades. But it must've been his third Batman movie that scared him... Yeah, sure...
Whatever the case some tracks in TDKR (and even TDK) reuse previous cues from it's predecessors that was slightly if not at all altered. Some of the cues even felt tracked in. That's how identical aome of the reused cues are. For example during the Hong Kong sequence as Batman attacks Lao and his men. That particular piece is very similar to the BB music, where Gordon was chasing Bruce on top of Gotham's police headquarters after their little conversation in his office. The last part of Hong Kong scene reused music from BB where Batman calls for "back up" in the Arkham sequence that took place before the Tumbler/Police chase . That particular cue Zimmer seems to love using repeatedly with not much alterations. Heck he used it when the Bat was carrying the nuke in TDKR. There's plenty of other cues from both TDK and TDKR that felt rehashed. I don't feel like posting all of 'em. So if the problem wasn't temp music then it must've been "sequel fatigue", imho.

Elevator Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:31 PM   #65
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Zimmer's got my vote.

Look at the diversity and range of his film scores, you've got the light and comical Kung Fu Panda, and the intense bombastic TDKR.

I loved Zimmer's work on MOS, he did beat Zod's theme to death (he tends to do that in most of his films), but it worked ! I particularly enjoyed the dreamlike music, when Lois first enters the Scoutship, that then gets really intense when the droid attacks her - Zimmer can change the key and up the tempo with great effect.

Hopefully Zimmer will do the next MOS film (I'm not talking BM v SM here, but the next MOS solo film) as it would be nice to hear more of his
end title - sort of the new Superman march.

As for BM v SM, I hope Zimmer's involved, maybe with a co-writer, like he
was on BB. It would probably make sense to have a new Batman theme,
as the Batfleck is a reinterpretation of the character. I think something would be lost if they just say that NOlan's Batman got sick of retirement and came back to work (you'd need Bale for that).

Step away from the NOlan trilogy, I loved it, but let it stand on its own.
These new films need an integrated feel, if DC/WB is really going to stand up on a par with what Marvel/Disney are doing.

So yes, a new Batman theme -maybe some elements of the Nolan-Batman theme, but generally new.
The interesting thing will be listening to how Zimmer (or whoever) integrates two very different themes, the bold theme of Superman and the darker, more ominous tones of Batman.

As far as other worthy contenders go, the only one I can think of that can pull off the kind of emotion necessary is Michael Giacchino.

But roll on Zimmer I say. Peace

Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:07 PM   #66
Malcolm Reynold
Straight Edge Browncoat

I would be perfectly happy for Zimmer to return, but I long for the day when I hear a Howard Shore Superman theme.

Malcolm Reynold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:45 AM   #67
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Can't wait to hear what Zimmer has in store for ASM 2. I thought the score in the ASM trailer 2 was very Zimmeresque.
Really hope he gets the job for B v S.

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:53 AM   #68
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Quote:
Eventhough I'd rather somebody else score this SvsB movie, which obviously won't happen. I hope Hans comes with a real theme for this "new" Batman. Instead of a dozen themes/motifs that reflects Bruce's various personality traits from TDKT. Affleck's Batman supposedly is older and more experienced than Nolan's/Bale's. So he should earn his theme this time. It's going to be tough for Zimmer to not fall back on one of those dozen themes/motifs b/c I felt some were underdeveloped in the Nolan trilogy. He might try to develop one, but I honestly don't know what to expect. He seems to be game for a brand new Batman theme.

Danny Elfman Batman score > Anything Hans Zimmer's done.

John Williams Superman score > Anything Hans Zimmer's done.

John Williams > Danny Elfman >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hans Zimmer.

Truth.

(Even Elfman's 30 second Batman animated series end credits sequence is BRILLIANT, catchy, memorable, iconic, and immediately associatable with Batman, Zimmer has NOTHING on this - that Elfman score is the STUFF OF SUPERHEROES)

Quote:
I agree. I am not a fan of his superhero scores either. He's isn't really good at 'em, imo. And these movies seem to get the worse out of him, imho.

Yep. The scores are boring and mundane. Begins' end credits is pretty good, and maybe one or two tracks on his MOS work, but other than that he is TERRIBLE. That said, the stuff I heard of his in TASM2 trailer sounded very good (but Zimmer only gets about a fourth of the credit for that as he did not devise the original score himself - I somehow doubt the Hans Zimmer of today is even capable of conceiving such a score), but it's just a retooling of James Horner's soundtrack, which I thought was good on its own (although I prefer the Elfman score, but I love Horner's work), but the retooling sounds EPIC. I wish they'd just let him do the Williams theme and the Elfman theme for Superman and Batman but "retool" them like that. That would be brilliant, and he could do a few original bits. But you can't mess with perfection, it's okay for Superman to have a theme associated with him that spans generations, Batman as well - and those themes are the Williams and Elfman scores, easily.

Why the creators have their heads in their asses with this is beyond me.

And I do like some of Zimmer's stuff, and the soundtracks of his I like are always what I HOPE we get for with him when he is announced for superhero projects, but never what he delivers, which is why I say keep him off these things.

here are some works of Zimmer I really liked and was hoping his work on Superman and batman would be more like:

Imagine something like this playing in MOS when the doors fling open and Superman steps out for the first time to take flight. How epic would that have been? (THAT is the kind of movie I was HOPING to have gotten with MOS, BTW):

(play from the 3:12 mark)

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

(^^ If the video won't play, click this link and listen: http://youtu.be/FtfKlmpb7_w?t=3m12s )

And this is easily one of his best, and one of my favorite pieces of music ever written (and the buildup is fantastic) - complete with trumpets and all sorts of epic sounds, hummable and instantly recognizable, PERFECT for a superhero type movie, something I REALLY wish Zimmer would take a page from when working on his Superman and Batman films:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Here's another favorite of mine from Zimmer:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

(1:30 and on is very catchy and hummable, IMO)

I also enjoyed Zimmer's work here:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

I have no doubt in my mind that Zimmer COULD deliver if he WANTED to do so and build and epic sounding, memorable superhero soundtrack, but he has chosen not to do so for whatever reason yet. I wish we would get something from him like the examples I have posted but sadly just about all of his work in superhero films is NOTHING like that and has been really, really sub par and flat, IMO. So with that in mind, unless he is going to bring his A game, I would rather he not score the films at all. Period.

Last edited by Kevin Smith; 09-07-2013 at 01:02 AM.
Kevin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:07 AM   #69
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Quote:
Eventhough I'd rather somebody else score this SvsB movie, which obviously won't happen. I hope Hans comes with a real theme for this "new" Batman. Instead of a dozen themes/motifs that reflects Bruce's various personality traits from TDKT. Affleck's Batman supposedly is older and more experienced than Nolan's/Bale's. So he should earn his theme this time. It's going to be tough for Zimmer to not fall back on one of those dozen themes/motifs b/c I felt some were underdeveloped in the Nolan trilogy. He might try to develop one, but I honestly don't know what to expect. He seems to be game for a brand new Batman theme.

Danny Elfman Batman score > Anything Hans Zimmer's done.

John Williams Superman score > Anything Hans Zimmer's done.

John Williams > Danny Elfman >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Hans Zimmer.

Truth.

(Even Elfman's 30 second Batman animated series end credits sequence is BRILLIANT, catchy, memorable, iconic, and immediately associatable with Batman, Zimmer has NOTHING on this - that Elfman score is the STUFF OF SUPERHEROES)

Quote:
I agree. I am not a fan of his superhero scores either. He's isn't really good at 'em, imo. And these movies seem to get the worse out of him, imho.

Yep. The scores are boring and mundane. Begins' end credits is pretty good, and maybe one or two tracks on his MOS work, but other than that he is TERRIBLE. That said, the stuff I heard of his in TASM2 trailer sounded very good (but Zimmer only gets about a fourth of the credit for that as he did not devise the original score himself - I somehow doubt the Hans Zimmer of today is even capable of conceiving such a score), but it's just a retooling of James Horner's soundtrack, which I thought was good on its own (although I prefer the Elfman score, but I love Horner's work), but the retooling sounds EPIC. I wish they'd just let him do the Williams theme and the Elfman theme for Superman and Batman but "retool" them like that. That would be brilliant, and he could do a few original bits. But you can't mess with perfection, it's okay for Superman to have a theme associated with him that spans generations, Batman as well - and those themes are the Williams and Elfman scores, easily.

Why the creators have their heads in their asses with this is beyond me.

And I do like some of Zimmer's stuff, and the soundtracks of his I like are always what I HOPE we get for with him when he is announced for superhero projects, but never what he delivers, which is why I say keep him off these things.

here are some works of Zimmer I really liked and was hoping his work on Superman and batman would be more like:

Imagine something like this playing in MOS when the doors fling open and Superman steps out for the first time to take flight. How epic would that have been? (THAT is the kind of movie I was HOPING to have gotten with MOS, BTW):

(play from the 3:12 mark)

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

http://youtu.be/FtfKlmpb7_w?t=3m12s

And this is easily one of his best, and one of my favorite pieces of music ever written - complete with trumpets and all sorts of epic sounds, hummable and instantly recognizable, PERFECT for a superhero type movie, something I REALLY wish Zimmer would take a page from when working on his Superman and Batman films:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Here's another favorite of mine from Zimmer:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

(1:30 and on is very catchy and hummable, IMO)

I also enjoyed Zimmer's work here:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

I have no doubt in my mind that Zimmer COULD deliver if he WANTED to do so and build and epic sounding, memorable superhero soundtrack, but he has chosen not to do so for whatever reason yet. I wish we would get something from him like the examples I have posted but sadly just about all of his work in superhero films is NOTHING like that and has been really, really sub par and flat, IMO. So with that in mind, unless he is going to bring his A game, I would rather he not score the films at all. Period.

Kevin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:06 AM   #70
Project862006
Banned User

zimmer's mos theme is one of the best super hero themes of all time imo

it was heroic,uplifting,hopeful,filled with energy and was a slow build to an exciting climax and in the end it sounded very superman with sounding very modern and fresh at the same time

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:05 AM   #71
Wheels
HR Supporter

Zimmer will get the job because he's Hans Zimmer and he seems to do everything now.

Quote:
Because I'm a total mark and the first words I ever spoke when I came out of my mother's wound, was that one day, I was going to be the WCW Champion.
-- Vince Russo
Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:36 AM   #72
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmannerism View Post
Zimmer's got my vote.

Look at the diversity and range of his film scores, you've got the light and comical Kung Fu Panda, and the intense bombastic TDKR.

I loved Zimmer's work on MOS, he did beat Zod's theme to death (he tends to do that in most of his films), but it worked ! I particularly enjoyed the dreamlike music, when Lois first enters the Scoutship, that then gets really intense when the droid attacks her - Zimmer can change the key and up the tempo with great effect.

Hopefully Zimmer will do the next MOS film (I'm not talking BM v SM here, but the next MOS solo film) as it would be nice to hear more of his
end title - sort of the new Superman march.

As for BM v SM, I hope Zimmer's involved, maybe with a co-writer, like he
was on BB. It would probably make sense to have a new Batman theme,
as the Batfleck is a reinterpretation of the character. I think something would be lost if they just say that NOlan's Batman got sick of retirement and came back to work (you'd need Bale for that).

Step away from the NOlan trilogy, I loved it, but let it stand on its own.
These new films need an integrated feel, if DC/WB is really going to stand up on a par with what Marvel/Disney are doing.

So yes, a new Batman theme -maybe some elements of the Nolan-Batman theme, but generally new.
The interesting thing will be listening to how Zimmer (or whoever) integrates two very different themes, the bold theme of Superman and the darker, more ominous tones of Batman.

As far as other worthy contenders go, the only one I can think of that can pull off the kind of emotion necessary is Michael Giacchino.

But roll on Zimmer I say. Peace
Kung Fu Panda had John Powell do a chunk of it. As for TDKR, some of the music was actually better than the collabs with JNH, but there was less of a diversity of themes.

HZ reminds me of a certain actress who CAN act, but doesn't always choose to do so. I'm not saying he's lazy. On the contrary, I think he's overworked and has forgotten what he is really capable of doing.

And I think the MOS theme is actually one of the best superhero themes. I felt like he worked so hard on that main title, the rest of the score seems more cobbled together.

And if you think I'm a hater, I think he's done consistently good work up to 2003. I think some of the music for "The Bible" is good, and "It's Complicated" has a good score, though that's also a collab with Heitor Pereira (who does very good acoustic work).

Sherlock Holmes has some good music, but even that gets reduntant in places.

Rango is actually quite good, but it's definitely taken a page from Morricone.
So why not just have Ennio score Rango? His work on Django shows that he's still got it

I guess, in a way, I'm spoiled by the good-great composer of yesteryear, rather than the okay-to-good composer of today.

As for MOS, his Superman/Clark theme is very good, but his action scores are bombastic and repetitive.

Guichinno can definitely pull off action scores better, IMHO. And so can Powell, I think.

I do think he was the KING of action scores in the 90s, if that makes anyone feel any better.

Powell adapting Zimmer's themes would be even better at this point. I'm drooling for a John Powell Superman score.

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:05 AM   #73
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Zimmer's theme is less memorable than Williams', but much more fitting for the Man of Steel and much more affecting.

Memorable =/= better

Joker interrogation scene score >>>> anything that Elfman did in the Burton films.

FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:49 AM   #74
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Smith View Post
That was Shirley Walker, who I personally believe is the best Batman composer of all time. Sure, originally, she took what Elfman did for the Batman theme and built off of it for the origional opening and closing credits sequences for BTAS, but when she came up with her own Batman theme later on, it is bar none, the greatest Batman theme of all time. Heroic and triumphant, yet also gothic and tragic.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 09-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #75
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
That was Shirley Walker, who I personally believe is the best Batman composer of all time. Sure, originally, she took what Elfman did for the Batman theme and built off of it for the origional opening and closing credits sequences for BTAS, but when she came up with her own Batman theme later on, it is bar none, the greatest Batman theme of all time. Heroic and triumphant, yet also gothic and tragic.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
This.