The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 09-04-2013, 04:04 PM   #51
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Default Re: Incredible Hulk 2

^ I heard about that storyline with the SHIELD Agent Hulk, I'm not too convinced it's the way to go with Hulk, especially since SHIELD is kinda Captain America's thing. Banner should explore his own corner of the MCU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahammer View Post
Ha, I'm definitely not one of them, I just like dysfunctional people.
And good point about the Hulk switch. Even if it isn't my favorite thing, it worked well in the movie.

This brings up a good point. We know that Whedon will bring a lot of tension to the team, which is why Banner/Hulk's presence makes sense from a story-telling stand point.

But since this is a TIH2 thread, where could he end up at the end of A:AoU? It won't be hanging out with Stark for 2 hours. Or will it?

But yeah, I agree, Hulk should not be anything that could qualify as functional. I don't need Hulk walking around Avengers mansion playing cards with cats. Ugh.

I imagine Hulk will be estranged from the team in some way at the end of AOU. I would actually use him to introduce other super powered characters somehow. Planet Hulk really does work the best, imho. I really wish they could do that, using the sort of moody mo-cap style from 300 and Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow and stuff like that. They could make it more of a Banner thing, more of a character study/treatise/perspective/actions. Maintain Hulk as an extension of Banner rather than truly a different entity that has a hate for Banner separate from Banner's own self hatred. But Alas.

Another thing that would be awesome was if Planet Hulk was an act in Guardians of the Galaxy 2, where Star Lord and perhaps a couple others get stuck in a gladiatorial tournament on Sakaar and Hulk saves them or some such. That could be more than a little bit awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
Maybe the Leader makes the super-adaptoid(though they'll probably call it by another name).
That'd be pretty cool.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #52
TheHeatKitchen
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Pleasury View Post
Ah, to me the greatness about Hulk is that it's (or should be) more a tragic monster story than a classic day-saver superhero. Having Banner in control of Hulk to me just vanishes everything tragic (why would he get rid of the monster if he can control it?). Let alone abominations (pun) such as She-Hulk.

I'm alone on this.

That said, I enjoyed TIH a lot except for all those stretchy clothes and cannot-have-sex jokes about Banner. And him gaining control at the very end.
To me, that's the reason they SHOULDN'T do a Hulk solo movie from here on. He's just not interesting enough as a character anymore. There's no depth. He's a man that can willingly turn into an indestructible, undefeatable monster. Anything that can take him down and make for an interesting story would require the whole team, making it an Avengers movie. As great as it was too FINALLY see him go toe-to-toe with another monstrous force, it wouldn't make for a good sequel.

TheHeatKitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:25 PM   #53
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

The Hulk needs to talk. The audience's assumptions based on the old TV show-- and the apparent direction by filmmakers not to break that conceit-- have to be thrown out the window. I'm sick of it. Yes, he had some one-shot throwaway lines in the past movies. But it's not enough. The personality depicted in the recent Avengers cartoon shows-- nominally intelligent but mostly bad-attitude, is close enough for me. I could even work with classic savage Hulk.

Hypestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:02 AM   #54
Silvermoon
Made To Be Ruled

Was trolling through the website of one of our local stations here and found this article.... does Lou know something we don't??

The 'Incredible Hulk' visits SLC for Comic Con

of particular interest:
Quote:
"The Hulk saved the day in the last Avengers movie and they're making another Hulk movie, so I'm excited to be part of it."

~Agents of SHIELD
Silvermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:44 AM   #55
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeatKitchen View Post
To me, that's the reason they SHOULDN'T do a Hulk solo movie from here on. He's just not interesting enough as a character anymore. There's no depth. He's a man that can willingly turn into an indestructible, undefeatable monster. Anything that can take him down and make for an interesting story would require the whole team, making it an Avengers movie. As great as it was too FINALLY see him go toe-to-toe with another monstrous force, it wouldn't make for a good sequel.
How exactly a man trapped into a monster, who can't control it and who can't have a normal life because of it is not deep for you?

The Avengers version is just the average superhero with the usual cool factor at its max. Of course it worked, because there was practically no development for the character at all. It was all about smashing and that only one dimension is all that movie needed. From there to think that that's all Hulk needs to be it's a long long shot.

If anything, there shouldn't be any more Hulk solo movies simply because superhero movies fans cannot take tragedy. It's like someone shpould re-write Jekyll & Hyde and Frankenstein and make them cool monsters you can cheer for in order to please the younger masses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
The Hulk needs to talk. The audience's assumptions based on the old TV show-- and the apparent direction by filmmakers not to break that conceit-- have to be thrown out the window. I'm sick of it. Yes, he had some one-shot throwaway lines in the past movies. But it's not enough. The personality depicted in the recent Avengers cartoon shows-- nominally intelligent but mostly bad-attitude, is close enough for me. I could even work with classic savage Hulk.
If he talked, they should be extremely cautious about what he would say. It can't be the classic describing-every-single-thing-I'm-doing kind of speak (Hulk smash, Hulk destroys giant robot, etc).

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:07 PM   #56
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
Nominally intelligent? This guy plays cards and has almost complete control of his anger. He's just a strong dude with a bad attitude. It removes almost all the depth from Hulk in the EMH cartoon, and Banner is an occasional guest star, whose concerns are unfounded, because Hulk is actually more of a functional member of society than he is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeatKitchen View Post
When has this not been true? There has never been a question about Banner's ability to turn into Hulk at will, the question has been, are there negative consequences for doing so that Banner will fight to avoid? In the case of being in the middle of a war... no. There are some things worse than Hulk... that's what Hulk is always brought out for, and he gets aimed, and that's it. He's still a monster, he's still dangerous, he still can't be controlled. His biggest problem is still himself. The depth is still there... especially in Banner, who received more character development in Avengers than he did in The Incredible Hulk film.

A Hulk sequel story would do much better with him going against a team sent to take him down. It'd also be interesting if he had found a cure for the Hulk, as he has in times past, but then has to bring Hulk back or rejoin with Hulk for some reason.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:18 PM   #57
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Imo Hulk is only interesting when he's a raging monster thats out of control, or as a lonesome creature constantly hunted or when he's on an Alien planet.

Quote:
How exactly a man trapped into a monster, who can't control it and who can't have a normal life because of it is not deep for you?

The Avengers version is just the average superhero with the usual cool factor at its max. Of course it worked, because there was practically no development for the character at all. It was all about smashing and that only one dimension is all that movie needed. From there to think that that's all Hulk needs to be it's a long long shot.

If anything, there shouldn't be any more Hulk solo movies simply because superhero movies fans cannot take tragedy. It's like someone shpould re-write Jekyll & Hyde and Frankenstein and make them cool monsters you can cheer for in order to please the younger masses.
Totally agreed

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:20 PM   #58
kedrell
What'sa Raccoon?

Quote:
If he talked, they should be extremely cautious about what he would say. It can't be the classic describing-every-single-thing-I'm-doing kind of speak (Hulk smash, Hulk destroys giant robot, etc).

Of course they should. The potential for it to not work right is high. But it's worth the extra effort, IMO. Perhaps his eloquence can vary depending on just how angry he is at a particular time. When he's fully enraged he only grunts out a word or two but when he's not you can have a semi-conversation with him. I really don't want him talking exactly like the Avengers cartoon because to me that's too close to Joe Fixit and if they ever want him in a movie they'll need to show how his personality is different from the green/savage Hulk's. I'd say save the referring to himself in the 3rd person stuff for when he's almost too angry to speak(and use it very sparingly) at all and the rest of the time allow him to talk but not have some tough guy attitude. He's too simple for that. At that point just don't have him refer to himself at all. Save the tough guy act for the grey hulk/Fixit.

Old 09-16-2013, 05:33 AM   #59
fixxxer
Side-Kick

I've always hated the hue/gender based (Red-, She-, Red-She-, Gray, etc.) Hulk ancillary characters. Would shed absolutely no tears if they were all left out of the MCU.

fixxxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:52 AM   #60
fixxxer
Side-Kick

I think the way to go would be to draw inspiration from the current Indestructible Hulk series. Basically, Banner gets a platform for scientific research, and in exchange, SHIELD gets to aim and deploy Hulk as a (rather unconventional) weapon.

I especially like the concept of a Bruce Banner-based software floating around, guiding and trying to keep Hulk under control. I would even go so far as to project Banner's head, Jor-El style from a tiny floating droid, thus giving Ruffalo more screen time. I'm thinking Hulk destroys this contraption a few times before begrudgingly accepting his punier self as his play caller.

0-15 min: Open with Hulk in mid-air, dropped head first onto a tiny island, possibly the MCU equivalent of AIM Island. Hulk goes ballistic, obliterating pretty much everything.

15-45 min: We rewind things a bit and see how we got there... Banner approaches Maria Hill with an ultimatum, albeit one he pitches as mutually beneficial. We get to meet his supporting staff: something similar but not a direct copy of the current Agents of SHIELD crew. Some back and forth with a typically combative and exasperated Maria Hill, etc. Hill goes over AIM and/or Evil Organization X's latest world dominating/obliterating shenanigans, the first mission plan, etc. They're in a plane above the island when Hill pushes Banner out of the plane. To add insult to the uninjurable [sic], she shoots him in the head as the highly anticipated first transformation occurs mid-air.

45-108 min: Back to the aftermath of the first successful mission, and... ah, screw it. This stuff writes itself. What do you want from me?

Old 09-16-2013, 12:13 PM   #61
Dr. Evil
Gamora

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer View Post
I've always hated the hue/gender based (Red-, She-, Red-She-, Gray, etc.) Hulk ancillary characters. Would shed absolutely no tears if they were all left out of the MCU.
Red and Red She Hulk are technically in MCU, they are just in human form only as General Ross and daughter Betty (although likely to be recast if there is a second movie). If there is a sequel, I think we'll see Rick Jones as well, except he won't be Gray Hulk.

All would remain in human form in MCU though.

My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:36 PM   #62
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

The MCU so needs Rick Jones. Marvel missed the boat on that one.

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:28 AM   #63
fixxxer
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
Red and Red She Hulk are technically in MCU, they are just in human form only as General Ross and daughter Betty (although likely to be recast if there is a second movie). If there is a sequel, I think we'll see Rick Jones as well, except he won't be Gray Hulk.

All would remain in human form in MCU though.
Oh, completely agreed. The Rosses, Rick Jones et al are excellent characters and are integral to Banner/Hulk's mythos. I just could do without them hulking out. And as an aside, I really enjoyed William Hurt's and Liv Tyler's (I know, minority opinion) performances in TIH. Assuming those characters have a role in Hulk 2, I really hope they aren't recast.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:48 PM   #64
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka

IMO either Gareth Edwards or Paul Greengrass would be great choices for a director.

I still believe in heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
"I tell ya, that Jennifer Lawrenshinch, I'd like to put my olive in her martini."
Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #65
Dasher10
Side-Kick

Honestly, I'd like to see Merged Hulk. Have it be Rufallo's face on the Hulk's body and use a digitally altered voice.

Also, when it comes to villains, I'd like to see what happened to Leader. He was set up for a sequel but never appeared again.

Dasher10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:27 PM   #66
Loki882
Side-Kick

I've always preferred the Hulk when he's more intelligent (Planet Hulk is my favorite Hulk story). A mindless out of control monster doesn't make for a very interesting protagonist to me, or villain for that matter.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:51 PM   #67
Tymminator
The Main Man in Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer View Post
I like She-Hulk, but other than her, I'm with you. Red-Hulk and the rest of them are just too much IMO, and for me it dilutes the product and weakens whats special about the Hulk. Again, just my opinion.

Tymminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:56 AM   #68
Loki882
Side-Kick

Except that Red Hulk is a very different character, so it isn't making Hulk any less special since he's the only character of his type. Red She-Hulk is the same way.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:28 PM   #69
Tymminator
The Main Man in Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Except that Red Hulk is a very different character, so it isn't making Hulk any less special since he's the only character of his type. Red She-Hulk is the same way.
Red Hulk to me, is just simply a Red Hulk that gets hot with Tybolt's brains and attitude. It's cool you dig the character but I myself just don't care for any type of Red hulk or She Hulk. Heck, I don't came for A-Bomb either. Abomination, She-Hulk and Hulk is all that I care for, and again, just my opinion.

Tymminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:19 PM   #70
Dasher10
Side-Kick

I'd like to see the hulk series evolve this way

Indestructible Hulk - The Leader frames the Hulk for a nuclear explosion that levels the Twin Cities with a robotic copy of Hulk caught on camera. This leads the military to once again combine the super soldier serum with radiation treatment to create a force capable of taking out the Hulk. Enter the Gamma Corps: Red Hulk, Grey, Gideon, Axon and Mess, a strike team capable of taking down Hulk in a head-on fight. Needless to say, Leader uses the conflict to bide his time to build an army of robots. Tonally, it'll be much lighter than the first film and revolve around large action set pieces over personal drama.

Rampaging Hulk - Doing a complete 180 from the last film, Hulk now faces a much more personal threat in a darker film. Mercy is a serial killer who targets those she sees as, "tormented" and is stalking Hulk to kill him when he's vulnerable. Also featuring She-Hulk making her first appearance and Doc Samson helps Hulk develop a new, more stable personality that sets Merged Hulk as the default Bruce.

Planet Hulk - Hulk realizes that he's far too dangerous for this world and sets his sights on heading to a Kree colony where the population would be more resistant to injury. Instead, his ship malfunctions and he lands on Sakaar where he's enslaved and forced to fight as a gladiator. Tonally, it won't be as dark as the third, opting for action and humor over drama. Includes the first appearance of Joe Fixit and Green Scar.

Savage She-Hulk - Takes place in the same phase as Planet Hulk. Tonally the lightest in the series as She-Hulk isn't hunted down or tormented like her cousin is. The villain would be Flux, Behemoth, Rampage, Half-Life or Titania. I'm not picky. Daredevil would also appear in some capacity. This version of She-Hulk would be the lovable fourth-wall breaking version that would bring in a good amount of levity to the MCU come Phase 5.

Hulk Smash - Hulk returns... and he comes in peace. Too bad SHIELD mistakes it for an alien invasion thanks for Gen. Ryker and Hulk fights She-Hulk until things can get sorted out.

Dasher10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:06 PM   #71
Human Torch
OK,who brought the dog?

I'm in agreement with the good Senator.
I'm only really interested in the Savage Hulk.The tragic Banner.The man on the run, searching for a cure.The misunderstood monster.So far,they've done a decent job with that,(TIH/TA) but they seem unwilling to get really invested in telling that story.

I think the biggest problem they need to overcome is similar to what I think the problem a Wonder Woman film has: Too many damn interpretations of the character.We keep hearing of a Planet Hulk or Grey Hulk or a thousand different variations that the character has had.They need to keep to the default version everybody knows,(especially the GA) the savage "Hulk Smash" incarnation.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:35 AM   #72
ganicoga
New User - Level 0

I'd like to see Zooey Deschanel as Jen Walters and the Leader as the main enemy.

She could be abducted at some point of the movie so the Leader experiments with her and her cousin's blood in order to make a gamma monster that could hurt him and make him hold back in a fight.

Bruce might search for a cure and instead of turning her back to normal, she regains consciusness...that way we can have Savage She hulk for a while and the regular Jen She hulk at the end.

Damage Control Inc could be added in the mix, too, if u want a greedy corporation as well.

But please no more Ross family and army for a while. Hulk has more enemies and allies...

ganicoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:09 AM   #73
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

Looks like our sequel chances have gone up pretty greatly, Feige mentions in Empire magazine that a Hulk sequel is one of his favorite movies along with Dr. Strange to possibly announce for 2016 phase 3. Which is probably the first we've actually heard him speak pretty positively about a sequel. So come spring next year, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

If they do confirm a sequel I hope they bring back the leader and Abomination. And I definitely wouldn't mind if they went the indestructible hulk route.

As far as directors go, the first 3 that come to my mind have to be: GDT, Brad Bird, and Neil Blomkamp (although I know he's a long shot)

Old 10-20-2013, 11:14 AM   #74
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

I'd like to see a new Hulk movie, just keep SHIELD away.

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:26 AM   #75
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

Shield is such a tough spot because on one hand you can open up a fresh story to be told on screen on the other hand shield is so prominent in the MCU you don't want them over used.