Default Re: This Franchise Needs a Reboot Bad

these long conversations between just two users make the read more complex

but anyway, I guess the rest of us could stay outside of them, lol

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:36 PM   #52
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

X-Men movies will continue in some shape or form, whether some people here want it or not.

In order to retain the movie rights, Fox must make new X-Men movies at regular intervals, so it will do just that (unless, for whatever reason, the rights end up back at Marvel). At some point a reboot will become necessary because none of the existing cast will still be suitable for the roles. They could just recast and move forwards but at some point they will feel the need to start with a clean slate. Whether the franchise goes right back to the beginning and retells the same stories is another matter.

In just the same way, there will always be Superman and Batman films - because studios want to make money AND because creative people feel the urge to tell a story with those characters. There have been Superman and Batman movies since the 1940s.

As we can see by the upcoming Superman vs Batman project, they have no intention of just leaving Batman alone after Nolan's acclaimed, self-contained trilogy.

It won't be any different with other comic book heroes.

At this point, I think some sort of clean-up (a soft reboot of sorts, via the timeline alterations of DoFP) is a good idea if they are, at the same time, establishing a clear way forwards.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:02 AM   #53
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

For me, I want at least 3 to 5 more films with the OT cast (DOFP is included in that). With the last film being released in 2025 (25 years after the 1st one).

Then the reboot film being released in 2028 to 2030.

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #54
Great Mind(s)
Broken

Yeah more OT. With sexy adult Anna Paquin as tough badass Rogue! Honestly I never thought she would return to the role so I'm hyped for her potential

Great Mind(s) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #55
Super Jim
Side-Kick

^ Anna Paquin sexy? Yes, absoultely!!!!!

Rogue a tough badass? Um, what movies have you been watching? Until they give her super strength, flight and invulnerabilty (which I don't think they are going to) she'll likely not be a good character. I could see her touching Colossus to become Steel and then touching, I don't know, someone else, to "borrow" their powers, in order to be a badass; but all that does is take away those characters' abilities to be good. It's unlikely she'll be good!

Last edited by Super Jim; 09-05-2013 at 10:13 AM.
Super Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #56
Angamb
Banned User

he was speaking about what he wants, well, what most of us want.

And just because she had a "boring" role in the trilogy doesnt mean she wont get a much better role in next sequel.

DOFP will show a new side of her, so it a new sequel happens, she wont be the same as the trilogy, thats for sure.

Singer will have to step the game with all the characters, Rogue included.

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:42 AM   #57
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Yes, she wasn't badass or accurate to the comics but she wasn't boring imo.

She represented the Mutants who don't have beneficial powers, whose Mutancy is a burden more than a gift.

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)

Last edited by CyclopsWasRight; 09-05-2013 at 03:19 PM.
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:55 PM   #58
Super Jim
Side-Kick

^ Right, that's what I'm saying. So unless they dedicate a portion of this movie to Rogue stealing Ms. Marvel's powers, then it's unlikely she'll be a "badass", unless they go some other route, like making her powers developed more like Mimic's (I hope they don't do that).

So even if her powers have come back, she'll likely still be a "Mutant who doesn't have beneficial powers", though some might argue that point. "Stealing" someone's memories and/or powers can be pretty good.

Personally I would've loved to have seen her absorb Bobby's powers, have Colossus or Beast chuck her at Pyro, who wouldn't tried to cook her (but she wouldn't been ok because of Bobby' powers), and then have her steal Pyro's powers in order to not only take him out, but then use them against other baddies. Something like that would've been cool.

But, anytime you have her take another's powers you limit that character. Why have her steal Colossus' strength when he can use it himself? Why have her steal Storms weather abilities when she can just use them herself?

But using her to steal memories, that's a different thing altogether, but definitely would not be considered...

"badass".

If anything, I could see them having her use a collar (one of trask's inventions) to control her returned powers so she can be intimate. But intimate with who? Without a good Gambit (wow, I wish!), would she be with Bobby or someone else? If she's with Bobby then what about Shadowcat. I would like to see her with Colossus.

Actually that would be great!

Bobby and Rogue and Kitty and Piotr!!!!!

Old 09-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #59
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidwarrior View Post
Yes, she wasn't badass or accurate to the comics but she wasn't biring imo.

She represented the Mutants who don't have beneficial powers, whose Mutancy is a burdern more than a gift.
Rogue was actually very accurate to the comics, just wasn't the most popular incarnation of the character.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:10 PM   #60
Super Jim
Side-Kick

^ Yes she was accurate per her starting powers, but the rest of her story is way off. In the movies she was never with Mystique and the Brotherhood. She never grew up as a villain, as she did in the comics. The movie Rogue never confronted Ms. Marvel and thus (as mentioned above) permanently absorbed her powers. In the comics, absorbing these powers and pysche caused Rogue to start to go, or at least fear going, insane. And this is what caused her to go to the X-Men, in the hopes that Professor X could help her. Movie Rogue's major issue was "I can't touch people", while the comic book version was "I can't touch people, and I'm going insane, and I feel guilty for "killing" Ms. Marvel, and for being a villain all these years".

Big difference, so I have to agree with droidwarrior, but again yes, the basic power and where she grew up/put some boy in a coma was the same.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:23 PM   #61
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

The movies don't have the time to go into all of that stuff, and that stuff isn't needed for the adapted version of the character.

While I'm not against utilizing her in a more offensive way... they captured the important parts of her that needed to be adapted.

Old 09-05-2013, 03:41 PM   #62
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

They don't have rights to use Ms marvel.

Look at Wolverine and the X-Men.They only used her ansorbing powers and she worked well.I am all for rogue temmporly using others powers if situation calls for it but I am against
way to just give her ms marvel powers permently.They can't use ms marvel then don't use rogue permently absorbing powers.

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #63
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
The movies don't have the time to go into all of that stuff, and that stuff isn't needed for the adapted version of the character.
I agree.

The problem is so many X-Men have long standing origins and stories and developments that have led to who they are and people unrealisticly expect tham to be like that in the movie medium.

The movies can't condense that much down to a movie. In order to do many characters like they are in the Comics they will have to had set-up a number of pre-existing events to get them to that position.

Look at Cable, to get him "right" they have to have Scott return from the dead, have Jean cloned, have scott marry the clone, have them have a child, have the baby contract the techno-organic virus, send him to the future and return him from the future as an adult.

That's not feasible, it would take over the story and have to go on for five or six movies, all just so they can do one character perfectly how he was done in the comics.

Best they could do is have him as a standard Mutant future Soldier and leave his origin unknown

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.

Last edited by CyclopsWasRight; 09-05-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:55 PM   #64
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Then in that case, I don't even -want- them to get Cable right.

Same way if "getting it right" meant having Juggernaut get his powers from the Cyttorak crystal, then I'm glad they got him "wrong".

Old 09-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #65
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Yeah I felt like they made the right decision to ditch that Cyttorak Crystal and just made him a mutant.

Though I wish his helmet was well-designed and similar to the design of the comics.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #66
Super Jim
Side-Kick

I'll have to disagree with you all on Juggernaught. Him being some Australian henchman with a bad costume was not that great. It took away the back story of him and Charles and prevented a villain character that could have been a main antognist from being used in that way.

All so they could say "I'm the Juggernaught *****" and "d!(& Head" and then have him knocked out by Leeches powers. Oh yeah, he was great!

As far as Cable, I don't think they need to get into his background at all. He could still be Nathan, but whether he is a Summers or not doesn't have to be disclosed. Who knows if he's even from the same timeline at this point. And after the bring back Jean and Scott at the end of DOFP the option of him possibly being their future son is there.

In other words, we can still have a good Cable, looking like Cable should, without having to get into his background!

Now as far as Rogue, all I'm saying is that it is very unlikely they will make her a "badass" in this movie. That's just not her character. She's the one used to show mutant powers negatively affecting someone's life. That's her plot point. And now she'll be wearing the inhibitor collar and lingerie so Bobby can get a surprise. That will make a good plot device!

Old 09-06-2013, 12:49 PM   #67
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Juggernaut didn't need to be Xavier's step brother, and in the context of a movie, Juggernaut doesn't represent a large enough scale to be a central villain.

Juggernaut might not have been -great- in the movie, but they made the right choice to make him a secondary villain and a mutant.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:33 PM   #68
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

If they were to do Juggernaut properly, he could have been a soldier in Vietnam with Wolverine and could have been mutated by some radioactive material he found in a cave, the equivalent of that Cyttorak gem.

But it made sense to just make him a mutant when they put him in X3. Unfortunately, they didn't make very good use of him - just one action scene, and that silly line taken from a YouTube video that no one thought was funny. It was hardly worth including the character for that. (Same with Multiple Man, Arclight and Angel).

Old 09-06-2013, 01:39 PM   #69
Mr.M
Side-Kick

What about Juggernaught in FC 3?

Mr.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #70
Super Jim
Side-Kick

Thumbs up Re: This Franchise Needs a Reboot Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
If they were to do Juggernaut properly, he could have been a soldier in Vietnam with Wolverine and could have been mutated by some radioactive material he found in a cave, the equivalent of that Cyttorak gem.

But it made sense to just make him a mutant when they put him in X3. Unfortunately, they didn't make very good use of him - just one action scene, and that silly line taken from a YouTube video that no one thought was funny. It was hardly worth including the character for that. (Same with Multiple Man, Arclight and Angel).
Love when someone gets it!!!!!

Old 09-06-2013, 02:46 PM   #71
Great Mind(s)
Broken

I disagree about Angel...

Great Mind(s) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:23 PM   #72
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

As bad as the movie is i love the scene where Juggernaut grabs Logan and throws him through the ceiling with him crashing back down in a different room.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:29 PM   #73
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidwarrior View Post
As bad as the movie is i love the scene where Juggernaut grabs Logan and throws him through the ceiling with him crashing back down in a different room.
I love that part. Theres actually alot I like about that whole scene....and a few things I hate. Overall it's a fun fight and the effects look decent imo.

def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 04:57 PM   #74
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Mind(s) View Post
I disagree about Angel...
Angel needed a bit more screentime, really. That would have justified the opening scene a bit more. He did sort of get forgotten along the way a bit.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:36 PM   #75
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Juggernaut actually had 2 action scenes. I'm counting chasing Kitty as the 2nd.