The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 04-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #26
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Default Re: The Twilight/Hunger Games demographic

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Yeah. Part of the challenge is that, as far as comics go? The current readership is basically irrelevant for putting butts in seats at a theater. Its just too small to matter, except as a way to generate hype. So the comics themselves barely matter, except in the rare case like Runaways where the title actually drew legitimate new attention. By contrast, something like Twilight or Hunger Games could break even or better just off fans of the books alone, because the size of the fanbase is several orders of magnitude greater.
Comics also work as an indicator. If something puts off or doesn't draw the Twilight/Hunger Games demographic in comic book form, it can be counted on to do the same in movie form.

I'm still trippin that fandom equates anything not manly and violent with Power Pack. None of the books we've mentioned center on a female heroine... the only thing in common with the Twilight/Hunger Games crowd.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:55 AM   #27
Zoken
Side-Kick

I'm surprised this one hasn't been mentioned, it's more suited to Television, but that can lead to a movie...

Spider-Girl
She's always been a great example of a strong female lead, classic comic book story telling, and teen angst (even more so than her father was). I've heard of stranger concepts for tv shows, especially where super heroes are concerned (Does anyone else remember Spider-Man Unlimited)

Zoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:31 AM   #28
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

The Twilight series sucks!

The Hunger Games series rocks!

"Will you control that power or let it control you?" - X3
"Is the future truly set?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #29
Zoken
Side-Kick

Frankly: Runaways.

Strong REALISTIC female leads. Stories that are highly character driven. some male eye candy (Chase was an athlete). Sorcery, aliens, time-travlers, mutants, and Tech... Oh my.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:28 AM   #30
CoulsonFan
Side-Kick

It's my impression that a whole lot of women are looking forward to Avengers, which is one of the reasons the tracking is through the roof.

IT HAS ALL THE QUADRANTS

JUST LIKE IN THE PROPHECY. . .

CoulsonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #31
Doc Ock
10 years ago...

Yeah, I also think Runaways would definitely be the one to appeal to the your teen/tween demographic that largely makes up the Twilight/Hunger Games audience.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:55 PM   #32
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoulsonFan View Post
It's my impression that a whole lot of women are looking forward to Avengers, which is one of the reasons the tracking is through the roof.
A lot of women are, and a whole lot more aren't. Twilight Breaking Dawn made more than Avengers is tracking to make. That's a demo that's not being tapped, no matter how many of us bring along our girlfriends, or got our ex girlfriends into superheroes.

The advantages of doing so - of not pretending like Avengers is doing anything more than exhausting a fraction of the market - is exposure of Marvel characters to more people, and allowing Marvel studios to release more movies and become a more powerful studio, rather than just a studio that exists on the success of its last summer blockbuster.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:55 PM   #33
Rac
Deadite

What ever happened to the Runaways? Someone should be asking about this from Feige.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:04 PM   #34
CoulsonFan
Side-Kick

Breaking Dawn did $138 million on opening weekend. Avengers was getting called for $150+ before the screenings and word of mouth even started.

Informal "research:" do a Twitter search for "Avengers" and check the gender split. I don't think it's what you're expecting.

Hiring Whedon was a big part of ensuring this thing has the broad appeal they're looking for. Black Widow, who was basically not a character in Iron Man 2, seems to be getting her characterization set in this film as the kind of "ass kicking, quippy chick" that Whedon had tremendous success with on "Buffy." Not a bad call.

These movies really don't have the "nerd stigma" that has been associated with superhero comics for decades. I think that stigma eventually had less to do with fantasy stories about people with extraordinary powers than it did the macho ******** and misogyny that were rampant within the genre. Marvel's been generally avoiding that.

If you want an example of macho, ******** misogyny that alienates women: Chris Nolan blowing up his only female character for the sake of a plot device.

CoulsonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:52 PM   #35
Red Mask
Human Killing Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoken View Post
Frankly: Runaways.

Strong REALISTIC female leads. Stories that are highly character driven. some male eye candy (Chase was an athlete). Sorcery, aliens, time-travlers, mutants, and Tech... Oh my.
Ditto. But I wonder where Marvel has gone on that project, or with Cloak and Dagger.

The second achievement is when the sword exists in one's heart. When absent from one's hand one can strike an enemy at paces
even with bare hands.

Swordsmanship's ultimate achievement is the absence of the sword in both hand and heart. The swordsman is at peace with the rest of the world. He vows not to kill.
Red Mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:04 PM   #36
Mr. Immortal
Homo s. supreme

Quote:
Breaking Dawn did $138 million on opening weekend. Avengers was getting called for $150+ before the screenings and word of mouth even started.

Informal "research:" do a Twitter search for "Avengers" and check the gender split. I don't think it's what you're expecting.

Hiring Whedon was a big part of ensuring this thing has the broad appeal they're looking for. Black Widow, who was basically not a character in Iron Man 2, seems to be getting her characterization set in this film as the kind of "ass kicking, quippy chick" that Whedon had tremendous success with on "Buffy." Not a bad call.

These movies really don't have the "nerd stigma" that has been associated with superhero comics for decades. I think that stigma eventually had less to do with fantasy stories about people with extraordinary powers than it did the macho ******** and misogyny that were rampant within the genre. Marvel's been generally avoiding that.

If you want an example of macho, ******** misogyny that alienates women: Chris Nolan blowing up his only female character for the sake of a plot device.
You are a startlingly intelligent person, kudos.

Mr. Immortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:09 PM   #37
Red Mask
Human Killing Machine

Quote:
Actually, I thought that was in keeping with the usual male-led sequel tradition. Superman 2 had Clark giving up his love for Lois, then there's Blade 2, Batman Returns, X-Men 2, & some James Bond films. I always thought that's how Nolan should treat his version of Batman: the female love interest always gets lost.

The second achievement is when the sword exists in one's heart. When absent from one's hand one can strike an enemy at paces
even with bare hands.

Swordsmanship's ultimate achievement is the absence of the sword in both hand and heart. The swordsman is at peace with the rest of the world. He vows not to kill.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:17 PM   #38
Mr. Immortal
Homo s. supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Mask View Post
Actually, I thought that was in keeping with the usual male-led sequel tradition. Superman 2 had Clark giving up his love for Lois, then there's Blade 2, Batman Returns, X-Men 2, & some James Bond films. I always thought that's how Nolan should treat his version of Batman: the female love interest always gets lost.
I find how Nolan treats Batman pretty hilarious in general. Guy is completely is helpless by himself, needs Alfred and Rachel constantly telling him what to do and giving him pep talks. Doesn't make any of his own gear, runs to Lucius any time he has a problem. Can't outsmart Xanatos Joker despite being the ''greatest detective'' in the comic world. Saves his company by buying his own stocks and has the biggest **** eating grin for doing something somewhat right for once, lol.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:38 PM   #39
Red Mask
Human Killing Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Immortal View Post
I find how Nolan treats Batman pretty hilarious in general. Guy is completely is helpless by himself, needs Alfred and Rachel constantly telling him what to do and giving him pep talks. Doesn't make any of his own gear, runs to Lucius any time he has a problem. Can't outsmart Xanatos Joker despite being the ''greatest detective'' in the comic world. Saves his company by buying his own stocks and has the biggest **** eating grin for doing something somewhat right for once, lol.
I knew after Batman Begins we would never get a real detective story for Batman - not like the recent Sherlock Holmes films. Otherwise I was okay with how Nolan directed the franchise.

If you want a really good romantic/mystery/thriller - check out the film "Tell No One". But don't wait for the American remake.

even with bare hands.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:56 PM   #40
Mr. Immortal
Homo s. supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Mask View Post
I knew after Batman Begins we would never get a real detective story for Batman - not like the recent Sherlock Holmes films. Otherwise I was okay with how Nolan directed the franchise.

If you want a really good romantic/mystery/thriller - check out the film "Tell No One". But don't wait for the American remake.
Just looked it up, actually sounds really cool. Will give it a shot, thanks. Always willing to give Luc Besson a shot, I find that I like his stuff even when it's lambasted.

And yes, it's a damn shame that Nolan neutered one of the most important traits of Batman. Probably the most important other than his obsession, ability to induce terror, and mental instability.

Say what you like about the MCU films, but they've absolutely nailed every main character but the Hulk so far. In fact I would say it's what I appreciate most about those.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:09 PM   #41
The Overlord
Side-Kick

The thing is books are more popular with this demographic then comic books, so something like Hunger Games would have more appeal to younger people then any comic mentioned on this thread. A well known book series has more of a built in audience then an obscure comic book.

The Overlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:28 AM   #42
Red Mask
Human Killing Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Immortal View Post
Just looked it up, actually sounds really cool. Will give it a shot, thanks. Always willing to give Luc Besson a shot, I find that I like his stuff even when it's lambasted.
"Tell No One" isn't a Luc Besson film.

even with bare hands.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:48 AM   #43
Silvermoth
Avenger

I'm really impressed with the huge explosion of female Avengers fans following 'The Avengers' premiere getting together and saying how much they loved the movie.

It's quite exciting actually. For some of the newer fans, wait til they see a heroine with superpowers!

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #44
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
I'm really impressed with the huge explosion of female Avengers fans following 'The Avengers' premiere getting together and saying how much they loved the movie.

It's quite exciting actually. For some of the newer fans, wait til they see a heroine with superpowers!
I know Hopefully Marvel Studios will make a movie for Black Widow, Spider-Woman and Ms. Marvel!

"Will you control that power or let it control you?" - X3
"Is the future truly set?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:52 PM   #45
Zoken
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
The thing is books are more popular with this demographic then comic books, so something like Hunger Games would have more appeal to younger people then any comic mentioned on this thread. A well known book series has more of a built in audience then an obscure comic book.

You have a point there Overlord. Perhaps Disney should look into hiring a writer to do a novel-ized version of one we talked about. See if Susan Collins is up to anything now that Hunger Games (books) are done.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:42 AM   #46
Silvermoth
Avenger

Bump with all this talk about a female superhero. I wonder how many conversations marvels had to talk about the hunger games demographic? It definitely seems to be an area they want to expand into

Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:52 AM   #47
Loki882
Side-Kick

First of, comparing Twilight, The Hunger Games, and even Harry Potter is not a good idea. They're VERY different, they have different character types, setting, plots. themes, etc, they're DIFFERENT. Also, HP and HG are actually good, while Twilight is a blight on literature. Runaways would be the obvious choice. I always kind of saw Inhumans as closer to Game of Thrones myself. Avengers Academy is another possibility.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:04 AM   #48
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

we'll see if cloak & dagger finally make it to TV. maybe they'll get spun off of SHIELD. Also Power Pack needs to be looked at seriously. It's atrocious that this hasn't happened yet.

Hypestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:48 AM   #49
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
First of, comparing Twilight, The Hunger Games, and even Harry Potter is not a good idea. They're VERY different, they have different character types, setting, plots. themes, etc, they're DIFFERENT. Also, HP and HG are actually good, while Twilight is a blight on literature. Runaways would be the obvious choice. I always kind of saw Inhumans as closer to Game of Thrones myself. Avengers Academy is another possibility.
how is HG any better than Twilight?

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:10 PM   #50
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
how is HG any better than Twilight?
Really, you mean besides likeable and interesting characters, a cool setting and premise, as well as interesting political and social subtext and commentary. Oh, and you didn't want the bad guys to win, unlike in Twilight when you wanted the "evil" vampires to rip Bella limb from limb, she was that detestable.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote