The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 12:26 AM   #551
warhorse78
Side-Kick

Default Re: Agents of SHIELD TV series for ABC - General Discussion - Part 2

I'll probably catch this when it comes on as a complete season on DVD, or Netflix. I like to watch shows all the way through without any commercials or holiday breaks.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:29 AM   #552
Mr. Dent
Banned User

>this being on Netflix

lel

Old 09-06-2013, 01:35 AM   #553
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

What are you laughing eet loud about?

Old 09-06-2013, 08:32 AM   #554
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Character relationships?! KILL ME NOW!!!!
I don't think they meant LOVERS

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Old 09-06-2013, 10:03 AM   #555
T"Challa
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picard Sisko View Post
I hate that one of the main characters is "Melinda May," a martial arts expert. Sigh, stereotyping.
She's a SHIELD Field agent. Its expected. Her, Ward and Coulson are all expert hand to hand combatants

1. The Avengers 2. The Dark Knight 3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier . 4.[X-Men:DOFP[/B] 5.Spiderman 2 6. X2: X Men United. 7. Iron Man 8. Batman Begins. 9. X-Men: First Class 10. Captain America: The First Avenger
Old 09-06-2013, 11:51 AM   #556
Pond
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by divan View Post
I'm glad to know they're planning ahead though. That reduces the probability of this being a full procedural.
Joss Whedon has tried to be pure procedural , once on season one and once again in season five of Angel, and in Dollhouse. He failed all times. In the first season of Angel, he just showed he was uncapable of doing a pure procedural. In the fifth he really tried but he seemed to fall back to continuous narrative unwillingly till he just gave up.

And HOW he showed he was absolutely a no-no with pure procedurals were the first five episodes of Dollhouse, when Fox allmost forced him to go procedural and you couldnt see him ANYWHERE, a collosal wtf failure untill he found a way episode 6 onward to add the underlying drama and narrative he needed.

This wont (i hope) be a pure procedural. Whedon cant do them. Well, he can, mind you, technically, but he sucks at it, so you dont want him doing it. You really dont.

Whedon works best in a Buffy-style show. Yes there si a monster each week, yes, and each episode tells a self-contained story, unless its a two parter, but this things are just metaphors or excuses for character examination, development and drama. Thats where he shines.

All just in my opinion, of course.

Last edited by Pond; 09-06-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:21 PM   #557
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
I don't think they meant LOVERS
Even if they did, I was being sarcastic.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #558
T"Challa
Side-Kick

I'm still pretty concerned about NCIS. I knew it was a ratings juggernaut but i had no idea it was actually the most watched program in the country. This thing actually beat out sunday night football last year.

is there any program similar in scope to SHIELD that has gone up against NCIS in the past and lasted?

1. The Avengers 2. The Dark Knight 3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier . 4.[X-Men:DOFP[/B] 5.Spiderman 2 6. X2: X Men United. 7. Iron Man 8. Batman Begins. 9. X-Men: First Class 10. Captain America: The First Avenger
Old 09-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #559
Just_Human
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I'll probably catch this when it comes on as a complete season on DVD, or Netflix. I like to watch shows all the way through without any commercials or holiday breaks.
I'm on the same boat, except that's I'm afraid AOS will have some important stuff leading to the MCU movies - even though I dont think it will have any tie in with Thor TDW

But you never know

Old 09-06-2013, 11:12 PM   #560
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

I hope that Cloak & Dagger finally gets spun out of this.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:16 PM   #561
xeno000
Raining hell from above

The latest Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. promo is up. I like the way that Clark Gregg described the setup in the post-Avengers world, where ordinary people have suddenly become aware of all the extraordinary beings around them. What Joss Whedon said at the end was very encouraging to those of us who want connections to the films: "The series takes place now. The series takes place where we are in the Marvel Universe. And hopefully there'll be some -- a little weaving in and around the movies that are coming up."

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 09-08-2013, 12:55 AM   #562
Just_Human
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
The latest Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. promo is up. I like the way that Clark Gregg described the setup in the post-Avengers world, where ordinary people have suddenly become aware of all the extraordinary beings around them. What Joss Whedon said at the end was very encouraging to those of us who want connections to the films: "The series takes place now. The series takes place where we are in the Marvel Universe. And hopefully there'll be some -- a little weaving in and around the movies that are coming up."

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
that's what I was talking about; we cant afford to miss an episode or wait for the Season 1 DVD set, because the show will have some connections to the movies

Old 09-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #563
Dr. Evil
Gamora

I'll be curious to see how the events of CA:TWS will affect the show if the rumors of Robert Redford's character are true.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 09-09-2013, 02:58 AM   #564
lozzy.94
Im no Side-Kick

Who else would wants to see this sexy thing make a come back to the MCU within this show?

2016 - Captain America: The Secret Avengers, Doctor Strange
2017 - Thor: Ragnarok, Guardians Of The Galaxy: War of Kings
2018 - The Avengers: Infinity
Old 09-09-2013, 03:28 AM   #565
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. featured in THR's Fall's Biggest Stars gallery

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/gal...-agents-shield

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. was the first show in the lineup.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:55 PM   #566
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

Just watched the UK trailer. Giving this a shot simply because I love Marvel and Coulson but nothing in there has really impressed me.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
I'm not a fanboy, I'm just an entusiastic Spider-Man fan...
Avvy by OriginalMiles
Old 09-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #567
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

The cinematography looks like a TV show to me.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:25 PM   #568
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
The cinematography looks like a TV show to me.
It's not cinematic enough.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:22 PM   #569
Dr. Evil
Gamora

Hopefully the show can hold it's own against the juggernaut NCIS.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 09-10-2013, 03:16 AM   #570
xeno000
Raining hell from above

For Marvel, a Tricky Gene Transfer: ‘Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.’ Hopes for a TV Audience

Quote:
LOS ANGELES — How do you take a story born in comic books that most people know from the movies and successfully adapt it for television?

If you’re ABC and Marvel Entertainment, very, very carefully.

“Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.,” a science-fiction drama about a human espionage agency that interacts with superheroes, arrives on Sept. 24 amid a full-fledged Hollywood hype-nado. And understandably so: The series is a spinoff of “The Avengers,” a movie that took in $1.5 billion worldwide last year, selling roughly 78 million tickets in North America alone. If 28 percent of those ticket buyers tune in for the first episode, “S.H.I.E.L.D.” will rank as the highest-rated new drama in a decade — which would be a huge win for ABC, which is in need of fresh hits.

But television shows, unlike movies, prove themselves not on their marketing-amplified arrivals but week after Nielsen-scrutinized week. And Marvel, which has never made a live-action series before, faces breathtaking challenges by that measure.

About 75 percent of new programs on the broadcast networks fail to make it past a single season, killed by competition from the Web and cable (and sometimes by plain old bad writing). Marvel and ABC are trying to pull off the hardest trick in television: marrying two mismatched audiences. Marvel has a largely male fan base; ABC is the female-focused land of “Dancing With the Stars” and the soapy “Scandal.”

“To succeed,” said Jeph Loeb, Marvel’s top TV executive, “we’ve got to tell stories that appeal not just to what we affectionately refer to as the Marvel zombies, but to a broader audience affectionately referred to at ABC as the ‘Scandal’ women.”

To achieve that ambitious goal — the safe strategy would be to pick one audience or the other — Marvel and ABC started with a direct-to-DVD short film called “Item 47.” Or, rather, Robert A. Iger did.

Last year, Mr. Iger, chief executive of the Walt Disney Company, which owns both Marvel and ABC, watched “Item 47” and spotted the ingredients of a TV show. (It’s rare for a chief executive, even in Hollywood, to involve himself in a fledgling series, but Mr. Iger did start his career at ABC in 1974, ultimately becoming its chairman.) In “Item 47,” which was released on “The Avengers” DVD, two ordinary citizens discover a weapon left behind by aliens; S.H.I.E.L.D., which stands for Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division, steps in and saves the day.

With its intimate feel, the short film “personified what a Marvel live-action television show could be,” said Alan Fine, president of Marvel Entertainment. Joss Whedon, who directed “The Avengers” and has a TV resume that includes “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” and the less-successful “Dollhouse,” agreed to help create a series and direct the pilot episode.

The entire article is a very good overview of SHIELD's development. Of particular interest if the fact that Bob Iger himself suggested that Marvel develop a show based on the spy organization. At the very least that shows that Disney's top brass is deeply invested in the success of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., which bodes well for the series' chances of success.

Also, ABC dropped a whopping $12 million on the pilot alone. There was no way this wasn't getting picked up with an initial investment like that.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #571
H.U.S.T.L.E.
Side-Kick

So it's been discussed around the forums here & there, but I thought I'd ask the question here as well: if Marvel decides to utilize Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. for occasional 'one-shot' episodes, what stories or characters would you like to see?

For me, I'd love to see Agent Carter's story get more shine - with the buzz around her One-Shot it sounds like there is plenty to mine there.

I think it would also be fun to see a BW/Hawkeye two-part episode, basically a mini-movie. Maybe it would resolve some of the dialogue in the Avengers and provide a nice depth to both their characters.

What else would you be interested in seeing 'out of continuity' of the show?

Old 09-10-2013, 12:26 PM   #572
Lord
All Mighty

Only actors i could see do TV are Loki's and Samuel Jackson, wouldn't mind to see them now and then, who know, Loki could even be the Big Bad of a season, just on a way smaller scale than he was in the movies though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Ebert
Most of the executives in Hollywood - in fact almost everyone in the movie industry - is smarter than almost all of the movies they make, and they know it. They're just not smart enough not to make them.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #573
Destructus86
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.U.S.T.L.E. View Post
So it's been discussed around the forums here & there, but I thought I'd ask the question here as well: if Marvel decides to utilize Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. for occasional 'one-shot' episodes, what stories or characters would you like to see?

For me, I'd love to see Agent Carter's story get more shine - with the buzz around her One-Shot it sounds like there is plenty to mine there.

I think it would also be fun to see a BW/Hawkeye two-part episode, basically a mini-movie. Maybe it would resolve some of the dialogue in the Avengers and provide a nice depth to both their characters.

What else would you be interested in seeing 'out of continuity' of the show?
I would more like to see perhaps a time travel episode for the SHIELD team goes back to the time after Cap is frozen and we see them work along side Agent Carter. Maybe a 2 part episode.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #574
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

This just showed up on Gawker:
Quote:
Looks like ABC's highly anticipated Joss Whedon-produced drama is in need of a superhero. A source close to the show tells us that the latest scripts that have come in have been so bad, Whedon had to pull off a page one rewrite just an hour before the table read. Given that Whedon is supposed to be transitioning full showrunner responsibilities to his brother Jed Whedon and sister-in-law Maurissa Tancharoen so that he can focus on his 83 other film projects, this ain't a good sign.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #575
Son of Coul
They call me Mr. Pym

A page one rewrite an hour before the table read? For an hour long program he'd have to write like a page a minute, not including printing for everyone. Maybe it's just poorly worded.

Closed Thread