The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Old 08-17-2013, 05:19 PM   #351
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Default Re: What DIDN'T you like about Iron Man 3? *SPOILER ALERT*

Not sure if i posted here before or not but here goes:

1. Tony not being Iron Man. Iron man is not who he is underneath but what he can do. And without the suit he can't do **** to save the day.

2. It was a dark tone movie that had too much comedy, it contrasted with the tone.

3. Killain was a by the numbers copy of Batman Forevers Edward Nygma.

4. I was led to expect Mandarin as a terrorist warlord, and got a druggie actor instead. Worst villain adaption ever.

5. Pepper gets Extremis which is the most interesting thing to happen to her character... And then it's gone ten minutes later.

6. He say's he's Iron Man then blows up his suit rendering him nothing but not-a-superhero Tony Stark

7. He'll be back in the suit which ruins the meaning of the ending of this movie.

8. They put Iron Patriot in the movie only to diss iron Patriot the whole movie and never show him in action.

9. Too many people in suits, if anyone can use Iron Man armour then anyone can be Iron Man.

10. The ending completely nullified the whole plot of Iron Man 2. Since he can remove the ARC thing in his chest then he didn't need to make a new element in IM2.

11. The many suits were blink-and-you'll-miss-em done purely to sell toys.

12. The only armour to show it's unique features was the one with the pistons. The underwater one never went underwater, the space one never went into space. They were all the same except aesthetically.

13. The armours broke apart like tissue paper.

14. The technology leapt from a believable gantry to put the suit on to a big hefty suitcase armour that wasn't strong to armour that inexplicable atatches to his body, parts that can fly individually, suits that can be stepped into and flamey military characters.

15. The PTSD only being an issue if someone said new york

16. Why would Killain try to kill Tony in the mansion attack if he needed him to perfect extremis.

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)

Last edited by CyclopsWasRight; 08-17-2013 at 05:50 PM.
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:29 PM   #352
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Pleasury View Post
They're not the same.

If they were totally the same, Stark would have never built the armor to start with. Tony Stark doesn't fly, nor has repulsor blasts.
Bingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsnee View Post
I think you missed the point of the movie. Tony Stark is what makes Iron Man, Iron Man. Not just a guy in a suit.
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmwLP...e_gdata_player)

Tony Stark can't "do" without the suit. Therefore he can't be the superhero therefore he isn't Iron Man.

Cap isn't the costume as the man can still be cap without it, thor isn't the suit as the man can still be thor without his costume, iron man is the costume as the man can't be iron man without it.

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.

Last edited by CyclopsWasRight; 08-17-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:16 PM   #353
giveyourself12%
Team Walt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignGuru View Post
There was so, so much wrong with this film I'm not even sure where to begin.

Lets start at the beginning...
The opening song, Blue. As soon as I heard I wondered if I'd walked into the wrong theater. I HATED this song, it was horribly cheesy but someone obviously thought 'hey, what about that Blue song, that's like todully 90s!!' That was the first alarm bell, that this song had made it into the movie at all.
The opening exchange lacked the chemistry and wit of the previous films (with the 'botanist').
So then we're in the lab, with a cheesy monologue running over the top.
The whole thing with the anthropomorphized robots is that they're incompetent but ultimately try to assist and Tony never treats them with contempt which is why 'dummy? Hi dummy! How did you get that hat on your head? You earned it. Blood on the floor, deal with it' is so out of place and is pretty unlikeable.
Then we get the 'drop my needle' bit where there's some cheesy christmas song to which tony flexes his muscles (cringe worthy) and the parts proceed to fly onto him 'comically' with a smack in the nuts and the faceplate which seems to have a character of it's own and sits there, hovering in mid air like a bull ready to charge "Come on, I aint scared of you". He then does an unnecessary flip to catch the mask, lands in the iconic iron man pose and says 'I'm the best' (at which point I had a bit of puke in my mouth) and then 'comically' gets hit in the butt and the suit shatters on the floor. *hilarious

Now that's the first five minutes and I've got alarm bells going off all over the place. This isn't the driven, focused, multibillionaire, playboy, genius developing a new suit, it is a comedy sketch written for laughs (badly). It is so crude and basic in the points it hits it's like it's written by a child for children. The parts of this incredibly high tech piece of equipment don't have a consciousness or character, it's not a disney broom that's refusing to sweep the floor. It's supposed to be the most advanced piece of weaponry on the planet, the ultimate peace keeper and killing machine.

Now I could do that all the way through the film, it is so woefully wrong that it actually makes me angry. The whole story arc, content, writing, character development, the kid, the drone suits, the pacing, the tone, the twist were all off.

It's a tragic example of what happens when studios get involved. They had complete freedom with the first one and it was amazing, I loved it. The second one had a bit of studio input and it was less good. By the time we get to the third one it's simply an exercise in appealing to as big a demographic as possible and merchandizing opportunities.
Favereau 'got' what iron man was about and created 'epic awesomeness' which is what I look for in a superhero movie. This was a 'made by committee' film and I'm actually pretty heart broken that they ruined it.
There's literally sooo much I could write but I don't want to impose an even bigger wall of text on you guys.

Anyway, that was my first post! Hi!

DG
Welcome! I'm pretty new here myself. Great first post. I agree completely.

giveyourself12% is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:26 AM   #354
First Avenger
Side-Kick

There is no studio interference,it has 'Shane Black' written all over it,you either love it or hate it.Trust me if there really was some interference,fanboys would love it.

First Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:43 PM   #355
giveyourself12%
Team Walt

IM3 seems like an intentional piss take on the superhero genre. I wonder why Feige didn't go, "No...you can't do that."

Unless RDJ said, "Well, this is something different for me to do concept-wise, therefore I'm interested in it, and if you won't let us shoot this, then I walk."

In which case Feige's, "It kept me up nights, but I decided it was for the best." comments make sense.

I'm thinking the original ex-military back story for the Mandarin was what the studio had in mind, but Shane and RDJ loved the trippy meta "let's make the big scary guy just an actor" concept.

giveyourself12% is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:49 PM   #356
Loki882
Side-Kick

Yes, having Kingsley be a Col. Kurtz-like figure would have given most people what they wanted. You could have gotten a "proper" but still different take on the Mandarin (as opposed to a joke), it would have been an interesting story, and you wouldn't piss off the Chinese. It worked in Apocalypse Now, and it could have worked in IM 3. Personally, I don't think that Feige buckled to RDJ or anyone else. Marvel has shown that they are willing to replace actors who they have disagreements with. I think that Marvel knew what they were getting when they hired Shane Black. One of the complaints that I've heard about the Phase 1 films is that they followed the same basic formula. Marvel wanted to address that by doing something different, but may have went too far the other way.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:47 AM   #357
batfreakforever
A real fan

Iron Man 3 is perfect. I wouldn't change a thing. I absolutely enjoyed it. The best Iron Man film yet. That's right I said it.

batfreakforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:56 AM   #358
kguillou
Side-Kick

I'll probably get kicked off the forum for saying this but...I think I'm starting to tire of Downey as Tony Stark. In IM 1 RDJ IMPECCABLY encapsulated the persona of Tony Stark while adding a bit of his own personality and wit to it. But since IM2 I feel like we're watching more RDJ and less Tony Stark and this includes The Avengers. I miss the snazzy, fancy suit wearing, witty, martini drinking Tony Stark from the first film. That to me was Tony Stark. I feel like what we're getting now is RDJ just being himself with the nonstop jokes and adlibs and that may be cool with a lot of people since everyone loves RDJ but....I dunno, am I crazy? Does anyone else feel the same?

Last edited by kguillou; 08-20-2013 at 09:00 AM.
kguillou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:17 PM   #359
Loki882
Side-Kick

No, I don't feel the same. I think that IM 3 was RDJ's best performance as Tony. Whether you like how Tony was written is another matter. Quite frankly, RDJ's Tony Stark is A LOT more interesting than comics Tony.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:32 PM   #360
kguillou
Side-Kick

I can agree with that. RDJ injects alot of life into Tony Stark its just, to me, it feels too much sometimes and i feel like I'm not watching Tony onscreen but rather just RDJ being himself. Again, the way he was in the first movie was PERFECT. That was tony stark personified but i feel like we've lost some of that in the subsequent films.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #361
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguillou View Post
I'll probably get kicked off the forum for saying this but...I think I'm starting to tire of Downey as Tony Stark. In IM 1 RDJ IMPECCABLY encapsulated the persona of Tony Stark while adding a bit of his own personality and wit to it. But since IM2 I feel like we're watching more RDJ and less Tony Stark and this includes The Avengers. I miss the snazzy, fancy suit wearing, witty, martini drinking Tony Stark from the first film. That to me was Tony Stark. I feel like what we're getting now is RDJ just being himself with the nonstop jokes and adlibs and that may be cool with a lot of people since everyone loves RDJ but....I dunno, am I crazy? Does anyone else feel the same?
I kinda feel the same. Since IM1 Tony hasn't been a likable character, he has moments but not the majority of the time.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:55 PM   #362
kguillou
Side-Kick

I guess I just want more of the Tony Stark from the cave in IM1 and the Tony that saved that village. I feel like we haven't really gotten that kind of more serious Tony Stark since then, its just nonstop snark and adlibbed jokes all the time. And i don't mind jokiness but there needs to be a balance which IM1 did perfectly.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #363
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Agreed the balance was perfect in IM1

Old 09-04-2013, 02:13 AM   #364
guitarking
Side-Kick

This Honest Trailer sums up my feelings perfectly. "Tony Stark is...REGULAR Man."

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

guitarking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:21 PM   #365
TheJediBrah
Side-Kick

Can someone explain these things to me that I didn't get about this movie?

- How did Tony get the reactor out of his chest? If he could have the surgery why didn't he do it straight away in Iron Man 1?
- Why do the suits run out of power? I thought they were powered by his arc reactor, which is, like, unlimited energy? And if the suits run out of power then why doesn't the reactor in his chest run out of power?
- Why are Tony's suits so weak in Iron Man 3 compared to other films? They seem to break apart all the time or is that just the Mark 42 that he made to be weaker? Maybe because it was like the self-assembling one?

TheJediBrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:02 PM   #366
Steamteck
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarking View Post
This Honest Trailer sums up my feelings perfectly. "Tony Stark is...REGULAR Man."

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Probably because IM3 disappointed me so much, I found that hilarious. Sums up my feelings pretty well also.

Steamteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:20 AM   #367
Adamantium
Your King

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post

- How did Tony get the reactor out of his chest? If he could have the surgery why didn't he do it straight away in Iron Man 1?
I think I heard it said that the technology wasn't available until now. I'm not sure. But with him meeting the doctor at the beginning of the film in 1999 and then he shows up at the end(2013) it seems like a plot hole. It all seemed secretive in Iron Man 1 like Yinsen made the comment that Stark was born for this...blah blah. I can't remember the exact conversation but it made me think he knew something. Now fast forward to Iron Man 3 and it seemed like he was introducing Tony to a heart doctor prior to the cave...but why?

Quote:
- Why do the suits run out of power? I thought they were powered by his arc reactor, which is, like, unlimited energy? And if the suits run out of power then why doesn't the reactor in his chest run out of power?
I took it as that the suits, while vast in beauty and specialties, they were put together haphazardly by a man suffering PSTD. So eager to make armors for every circumstance that important things were left out or not programmed. But one would think with JARVIS involved that JARVIS would've automatically made the necessary adjustments. I'm just spit balling. I'm not entirely sure how the armors are powered. Not sure if it's one dominant source or individual reactors in each suit, that may have limited power.

Quote:
- Why are Tony's suits so weak in Iron Man 3 compared to other films? They seem to break apart all the time or is that just the Mark 42 that he made to be weaker? Maybe because it was like the self-assembling one?
Again, I took it as that the suits were being made in a rush by Tony in panic/stress mode that they weren't being built properly. Maybe JARVIS can't override what Tony programs.

Well after reading what I wrote, I'm confident that I didn't answer one of your questions without more questions.

Adamantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:26 PM   #368
guitarking
Side-Kick

Quote:

The answer to all of this is plot holes from bad writing.

guitarking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #369
OcStat
Side-Kick

Jarvis fills us in during the Mansion attack the Mark 42 is not fully operational, so there's that.

OcStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #370
Steamteck
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Marvel View Post
I think if the Mandarin thing was executed better, less people would have a problem with it.
Actually, I could have forgiven the Mandarin before my other problems with the movie. ( mostly addressed by that honest trailer link). I went in knowing about the Mandarin and still expected to enjoy it.

Steamteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #371
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
Because Director Shane Black hates Iron Man. He likes Tony but hate Iron Man.

Think about it.

1. All of the armours are weak as tissue paper.

2. The main armour falls apart or runs out of power constantly.

3. Tony is hardly ever in the armours, he jumps out of the suits as soon as he gets into them, or remote controls them from a safe location or only uses parts of them.

4. The screen time of the armour is shockingly small

5. Iron Patriot is mocked the whole movie and is not in an action scene.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #372
OcStat
Side-Kick

You're right, that must absolutely be the reason!

Last edited by OcStat; 09-06-2013 at 03:19 PM.
OcStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:10 PM   #373
TheJediBrah
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamantium View Post
I think I heard it said that the technology wasn't available until now. I'm not sure. But with him meeting the doctor at the beginning of the film in 1999 and then he shows up at the end(2013) it seems like a plot hole. It all seemed secretive in Iron Man 1 like Yinsen made the comment that Stark was born for this...blah blah. I can't remember the exact conversation but it made me think he knew something. Now fast forward to Iron Man 3 and it seemed like he was introducing Tony to a heart doctor prior to the cave...but why?
damn that is interesting can't believe I didn't notice that

Probably nothing they did on purpose though lol

TheJediBrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:52 PM   #374
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

After watching the movie again last night I found the action scene's really lacking again, IM's action scene's in his own movies have been very average and that is disappointing considering the technology they have available to them to make movies these days. The final fights especially have been a huge letdown in each movie, especially when you compare them to Iron Man vs Thor from The Avengers.

I also feel Tony Stark has become more RDJ than the comic character, there was just too much humour in IM3 and not enough reflection on important events, like Pepper "dying" and then Tony making jokes 5 mins later, which rubs me the wrong way every time.

Trevor is another disappointment, he is funny in the movie, but when you re-watch and see how awesome he is as an actual Mandarin character at the start it makes the later reveal all the more disappointing.

I like the movie, but its good rather than great, when all ingredients were there for it to BE great, that is disappointing in itself.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:19 PM   #375
Tehmeh
Everybody likes bewbs

I was just going to post about the cardiologist at the beginning and the end. That COULD make it little less annoying that the shrapnel removal was handled like it meant nothing. Also, perhaps Tony didn't remember the doctor in question (who could've been cheesily the only guy on the planet to perform the surgery) in IM2, since IM3 was the movie he had to think about his 1999 convention more. This little thing made me dislike the end less, but yes, it still bothers me a little. That doctor is also very easy to miss both in the beginning and the end.

As for Tony using his calculations on EXTREMIS to himself...I don't know. If that's the case, A2 better give us something so we can feel better about this film. For me it's like many have said: at the same time very, very entertaining and also very upsetting.

As for Tony killing people...I don't mind. That "little bomb to the fountain to make sure that one guy surely drowns" was stupid, but blowing Killian's right hand guy's heart off, that was cool. I like that there's something for adults who want a little extra balls to the violence at times.

I've now watched the blu-ray 4 times, so it's at least a very rewatchable movie. I just can't love it, so much gripes. I watched IM1 again a couple of days ago, and so many things were done better:

- The suit. It had real damn mass. When he landed, it was either "CLUNK" or through the floor to the basement. When he punched people, they flew 50 feet from the impact. It wasn't a breakable toy. Remember that hit from the tank? You could "feel" it, it was so well done. Not comparing it just to mk42, other suits also got ripped apart too easily in IM3.

- The element of danger. I didn't feel it, not once. Perhaps a little in the helicopter attack scene which already was idiotic. In IM1, Tony was really in trouble. I felt the danger and the distress. He was more vulnerable in the first movie. Remember when his reactor got taken from his chest? It was a great scene. Almost full panic. That's one example, and not the only one. Suitless Stark in IM3 didn't accomplish that "he's more vulnerable now" - feeling. Not even once.

- Almost perfect balance of humor, drama, characters, action and pacing. And of course the soundtrack. One of the best combinations of all these I've ever seen in a superhero movie - especially for a first installment.

That isn't to say I hate IM3. I don't. There's much good in it. Shane Black knows how to entertain people and put up a good movie. If he only would've wanted to respect the already established "facts" from previous movies more instead of trying to be quirky and inventive and funny all the time (even though at times he succeeded), if he'd only be an Iron Man fanboy on some level, IM3 would've been great. Now it's just a strange mixture of love, hate, jaw-drop and facepalm.

The "I am Iron Man"-line, I liked it far better than if he'd said "I'm Tony Stark" which I was expecting. Suits are suits, he can always build more. He created a damn element, even. He is the Iron man.

Last edited by Tehmeh; 09-06-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Tehmeh is offline   Reply With Quote