The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men Sequels & Spin-Offs

Old 09-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #201
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Default Re: FOX Shared Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
Considering that Bryan Singer re-ignited superhero cinema, Fox should not be worried about emulating the success of the MCU. DC's shared universe is a joke at this point.
And provided imo the best of the genre with X2.

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:11 PM   #202
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

I'm down with the X-Men universe but a Fox-verse....? No thank you.

It's just going to come across as a cheap MCU knockoff and I want the FF back where they belong.

If Fox didn't have their heads up their you-know-whats they would've been the first to do it. Matt Murdoch would've been the FF's lawyer, Xavier and Reed would've been buds, Wanda and Pietro would've been Magneto's kids already, and the stage would've been set to introduce Franklin Richards as the world's most powerful mutant.

That ship has sailed man. Marvel's been planning the MCU for years. Fox is just trying to shoehorn this stuff in. I'm not sold.

Ragnaroknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:13 PM   #203
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidwarrior View Post
And provided imo the best of the genre with X2.
X2 is a great film though - one of my favorite CBMs.

I remember being majorly bummed when Singer jumped off of X3 and then Vaughn skipped town and then ... well we all know what happened.

I hope DOFP is awesome and gets this franchise back on track. Unfortunately, if they don't fix Cyclops I'll still have a major issue with it.

Ragnaroknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #204
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
DC's shared universe is a joke at this point.
Batman and Superman are both king ****s at the box office so that movie is gonna be huge! People have been wanting that flick forever. Hardly a joke, and much smarter then releasing a JL film right away. Both Marvel and DC have TV shows now as well. Maybe DC's is not connecting to the films there, but they are using what they got in other ways.
Quote:
Considering that Bryan Singer re-ignited superhero cinema, Fox should not be worried about emulating the success of the MCU.
What did he reignite and what's there to show for it? It's not like he's responsible for Spider-Man happening, that film was coming out regardless, and more audiences flocked to that. 300m Vs 800m box office is ridiculous. He didn't even have the first Marvel film. He had the first well known Marvel property, and thats pretty much it. Not trying to completely discredit the guy but I don't see how that film changed or reignited anything except X-Men. Singer has to prove he's relevant as a Director in the current decade. Other then producing, his career since X2 has not been impressive. Jackman improved on Wolverine to almost near perfection imo, so hopefully this is the case with the rest of the cast and Singer.

These shared Universes should work out for all studios. It's becoming expected. You can't have a huge franchise like X-Men and not look at what other more successful franchise's are doing. X-Men could own these guys. It's not about copying a formula it's about using the potential and vast world they own. Fox had to see other franchises make the move before they did, even though they were the first up to bat. Singer and Millar both have been quoted on expanding while mentioning The Avengers , so it's safe to say they took a hint from the MCU. At least they realize and are trying to change. They have had a whole world of unexplored characters, yet they have always seemed scared of touching them or didn't want to take risks. They won't get anywhere with that. The MCU has definitely proved to WB and Fox that all this is possible and worth it.

Theres a new standard cause of Dark Knight and Avengers, they represent both high points with audiences in the Dramatic side of comic films and the crowd pleasing Adventure side. Singer and Fox need to push themselves and start showing these characters off a bit more and create a much larger and rich world. Looks like they are doing that with DOFP, so I really hope they don't **** this up cause this is it. There's no excuse at this point. The characters and world can easily be up there like the MCU with audiences.

Last edited by def28; 09-05-2013 at 03:34 AM.
def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:05 AM   #205
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Singer and X-Men reignited the Superhero cinema.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnaroknroll View Post
I'm down with the X-Men universe but a Fox-verse....? No thank you. It's just going to come across as a cheap MCU knockoff and I want the FF back where they belong.
It won't be and since FOX only has X-Men/Fantastic Four, of course they could never rival MCU. Marvel Studios has dozens of separate properties that they could turn into a movie. With FOX, they only have X-Men and Fantastic Four.

Maybe if FOX has Daredevil, Elektra, Spider-Man and Ghost Rider, maybe they could compete with the model of MCU or copy MCU, but no they don't.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:09 AM   #206
Great Mind(s)
Broken

I don't see what's wrong with mixing FF into the universe. As long as there's still plenty of x-franchises ...

Great Mind(s) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #207
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Mind(s) View Post
I don't see what's wrong with mixing FF into the universe. As long as there's still plenty of x-franchises ...
If I wanted to watch Fantastic Four, I'd pick up a Fantastic Four movie.

If I'm watching X-Men, I want X-Men, not Fantastic Four.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #208
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
If I wanted to watch Fantastic Four, I'd pick up a Fantastic Four movie.

If I'm watching X-Men, I want X-Men, not Fantastic Four.
Feel the same way about watching Thor and IM2 and being forced to watch SHIELD.

GOTG should be 100% off in space doing solo GOTG stuff, but i fear they'll force a presence of the Avengers or SHIELD.

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:31 PM   #209
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

I just hate the "shared" universe.

I don't like it in the comic books, and I have no interest in it in the movies.

I don't pick up Lord of the Rings thinking "You know what this needs? Some Han Solo".

Old 09-06-2013, 05:55 PM   #210
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
I just hate the "shared" universe.

I don't like it in the comic books, and I have no interest in it in the movies.

I don't pick up Lord of the Rings thinking "You know what this needs? Some Han Solo".
Not really the same. Marvel comics universe have interacted pretty much since the start in the 60s, so it's not like this is coming out of left field or was never established. Now X-Men are Avengers, we have teams made up with both and The bigger Universe crossover stuff has always sold the most for DC and Marvel so it's not going away anytime soon.

To each their own. Good stories are good stories.

Eventually in the far off future, X-Men and Avengers will exist in the same movie universe and people will love it.

Last edited by def28; 09-06-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:07 PM   #211
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

I'm kinda with Neil.

I like cosmic Marvel because it's away from Earth and unique.

X-Men because i like X-Men and Spider-Man because i like Spider-Man.

if i wanted to read Iron Man i'd buy an Iron Man comic, i don't want to see him in GOTG for example.

I'm really looking forward to the GOTG movie but they are making me far too worried that there'll be SHIELD or AVENGERS shoehorned into it for the sake of connectivity, that shouldn't have to be a concern.

I don't want to watch SHIELD or AVENGERS in a Guardians movie just like i didn't want to see Coulson or Hawekeye in an X-Men movie or Gamora in an Avengers movie.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #212
def28
Side-Kick

Iron Man 3 didn't even feature the Avengers so I don't think you have to worry about that. The shared universe works, Shield can show up when fitting. Ignoring them would be a huge mistake. The connecting of films is what is fun for a majority of audiences. We all have our preferences but the money, sales and audience show that this stuff works. With Marvel they have always interacted. Even in their solos, so comic wise that should never be a new shock and film wise it's becoming a regular thing as well.

When the cosmic and Earth bound stuff collides with Thanos, its gonna be epic. I really don't get the complaints. It's a fans wet dream. And the GA is gonna eat up as well. Never thought I'd see this stuff coming together or even that an Avengers film would happen. Hell, I was worried we would never see Sentinels.

Last edited by def28; 09-06-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:18 PM   #213
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Well i personally hate Coulson so him being in thor was a low-point of that movie for me.

IM2 didn't need those extra characters thrown in.

I would've much preferred Cap to have a second film in the War to become the living legend and strategist but he was brought to the future for connectivity an the crossovers sake.

IM1 is the only ones that is just about the core character and supporting character, in my view.

While i agree that in Comics characters intersect, in X-Men from when i was reading and taken a break and came back it was 100% X-Men alone against the world that's the way i likes it

Old 09-06-2013, 06:23 PM   #214
def28
Side-Kick

My problems with IM2 is the overall script and weak villain. It did a great job at getting audiences hyped for Avengers.

Theres always stories in the comics where the characters don't interact. I'm not saying they are never alone. They need to exist like that cause that's why we are reading. I personally like my favorite X-Men characters in the comics even isolated from most the team so they can get properly developed without just showing up in the background for a line. But at the same time some of my favorite books use a bit of everything from the Marvel Universe. Runaways for instance. You would have to be pretty new to Marvel comics to not figure out all this stuff exists in the same world. Sometimes it really is for the better and brings more opportunities to the table. And cause of the films, most the world knows they are connected now.

If anything separating the films are confusing audiences. Now they expect the connection. I have to answer who owns who all the time to friends and family and then they want to know why Wolverine and Spidey can't show up in Avengers. They see the Marvel logo and they just assume everythings together.

I see the argument that X-Men can't exist in other universes cause of it's themes mentioned alot. I personally don't think that's true at all. Marvel is gonna bring similar themes and issues to Inhumans like they are doing with their crossover in December to find a way around the fact they don't have the rights to X-Men. They can also deal with some issues of youth with Runaways or if they ever wanted Avengers Academy. The main reason they should exist on their own is the reason Brian Singer said
Quote:
“I think there’s a strong desire to broaden out the universe. I mean, the X-Men universe is every bit on its own as big as the Marvel universe and I think it’s time to reach out and explore it and perhaps even bring some connectivity between the films,as Marvel’s done so well. You may see some of that, I don’t know (laughs).”
It's the size of the world and characters. X-Men on it's own has the chance to be as big as the MCU and it very well can be. Theres so much to explore. I agree that pushing a F4/X-Men film out is a mistake and I think the studio beleives that as well. But I also think having the characters exist in the same world as mutants will do them no harm. There can be some great stuff there conversation wise and also some great contrasts on the celebrity status of the F4 compared to the X-Men if they play their cards right.

Last edited by def28; 09-06-2013 at 07:39 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:46 AM   #215
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
Not really the same. Marvel comics universe have interacted pretty much since the start in the 60s, so it's not like this is coming out of left field or was never established. Now X-Men are Avengers, we have teams made up with both and The bigger Universe crossover stuff has always sold the most for DC and Marvel so it's not going away anytime soon.

To each their own. Good stories are good stories.

Eventually in the far off future, X-Men and Avengers will exist in the same movie universe and people will love it.
I don't like it when it happens in the comics either.

Nothing annoys me more than having to go grab some OTHER title to continue an X-Men story.

Old 09-07-2013, 01:51 AM   #216
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Nothing annoys me more than having to go grab some OTHER title to continue an X-Men story.
That point of view I can agree with. Even when it's multiple X-Men crossover books it can piss me off sometimes. Only time I don't mind is when it's comics I'm already subscribed to. I'm much more picky on the events I pick up then I used to be.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:42 AM   #217
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
That point of view I can agree with. Even when it's multiple X-Men crossover books it can piss me off sometimes. Only time I don't mind is when it's comics I'm already subscribed to. I'm much more picky on the events I pick up then I used to be.
It's not just the fact that I have to go grab multiple titles.

It's the fact of "I'm reading an X-MEN story, why the crap do I want to grab a THOR comic book????"

I don't like the concept of crossovers, and never have, whatever the medium. If I want X-Men, I want X-Men, not Fantastic Four, or Ghost Rider, or Thor, or Spiderman. If I want RoboCop, I want RoboCop, not Terminator. If I want Alien, I want Alien, not Predator. If I want Batman, I want Batman, not Superman. So on and so forth. If I wanted all those other stories, I'd pick up those books or movies.

Old 09-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #218
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
If anything separating the films are confusing audiences. Now they expect the connection. I have to answer who owns who all the time to friends and family and then they want to know why Wolverine and Spidey can't show up in Avengers. They see the Marvel logo and they just assume everythings together.
I don't buy that. The movies have been seperate alot longer than they've been together. While i agree the connected universe thing is the current fad, adding more and more characters will only confuse matters, like why can't X-Men help Avengers? where is War Machine? Why don't they use the tech or whatever they used three movies ago, it'd fit right now in this situation. Not to mention why would Wolverine or Spider-Man join the Avengers, they've never met them,

People ***** abut X3 and also DOFP being overloaded with characters yet want Avengers to be jam packed with even more, how is the same thing bad for one but good for another

In most cases the 'everything connected with all characters interacting with each other' thing of no benefit for the characters and stories themselves, other than the wow factor of seeing them on-screen together.

Quote:
Marvel is gonna bring similar themes and issues to Inhumans like they are doing with their crossover in December to find a way around the fact they don't have the rights to X-Men. They can also deal with some issues of youth with Runaways or if they ever wanted Avengers Academy. The main reason they should exist on their own is the reason Brian Singer said
I hate how Marvel is changing the comics to fit the movies, it's all backwards.

From the Inhumans i've read they've barely interacted with humans at all, pretty much FF and Aliens.

X-Men is their outcast of society team and should remain such, they shouldn't push another team into that role just because they can control the movies rights of X-Men. It's a disrespect to both teams and their roles throughout history.

They control X-Men in comics, merchandise, TV & videogames, is that not enough? do they need to diminish them and try to replace their role in those medium just because they don't control one area out of five.

Last edited by CyclopsWasRight; 09-07-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:45 PM   #219
def28
Side-Kick

I disagree with about everything you said haha.

Who cares if they are using Inhumans? You can't say it's a disrespect if you havn't read or seen what they are doing yet. Thats some ********. Do you not see the business or story possibilities this opens for them? Or are you so against Marvel that you just don't care? All I hear is "I hate" marvel this and that. They can't use X-Men but can use Inhumans, and they may see a chance to touch on similar themes. You cant expect them to bendover for Fox, or vice versa. This isn't a friendly business on either side and Fox isn't exactly this innocent little angel. I friggen loved the past two X-Men films...alot. But Fox has some serious strikes for their Marvel film series. What Marvel is doing right now works for audiences in a grand form, and like I posted above in the quote got the attention of Fox and Singer to think bigger. Why would either stop or say this is enough? It's a business that Marvel now lead and there is a demand.

Look at what Marvel did to Guardians in The comics, that sellls as much as X-Men and Avengers now. Why wouldn't they want to do the same with Inhumans? Because you think it's a disrespect to the X-men? The X-Men have a ****lload comics (enough to make a young X fan broke) and their own crossover going on. What do Inhumans have? Nothing. People may actually care about them now like they do GOTG. X-Men will always be one of Marvel's big sellers. It will take both Marvel and Fox for the fall of X-men in film and comics. And imo that will never happen. They are timeless in their appeal.

Quote:
It's not just the fact that I have to go grab multiple titles.

It's the fact of "I'm reading an X-MEN story, why the crap do I want to grab a THOR comic book????"
How many times have you really had to grab a Thor book to finish an X-Men story? The major crossover's are usually self contained in a limited run or withtin the characters own world since theres like 20 X Books. I can understand those events taking away from the current focus of the individual books. But even with something like AvsX you didn't need to pick up Iron Man, Avengers, Thor or Cap to understand what was going on.

Quote:
I don't like the concept of crossovers, and never have, whatever the medium.
Fair enough.

Last edited by def28; 09-07-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:11 PM   #220
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

I'm simply not for changing the comics for the movies benefit.

The Guardians book hasn't released where i live so i can't say for certain how that book has changed, but adding Iron Man because Iron Man is popular makes no sense for the Guardians i read.

Last edited by CyclopsWasRight; 09-07-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:21 PM   #221
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm simply not for changing the comics for the movies benefit.

The Guardians book hasn't released where i live so i can't say for certain how that book has changed, but adding Iron Man because Iron Man is popular makes no sense for the Guardians i read.
Iron Man books still don't sell. He fits in the story they are telling and is not the main selling point. Changes will piss people off regardless of the medium. Just cause the Inhumans have a crossover event that deals with certain themes similar to X-Men doesn't mean they are changing the characters. Those themes are not X-Men only territory.

Who knows maybe it will be good...

Last edited by def28; 09-07-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 05:22 PM   #222
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

I would have rather seen Spidey interact with the X-Men than The Avengers

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
The Sinister Six- The album
Doc Ock Green Goblin Rhino Kraven Mysterio
Featuring hits like "lol haters, we aint giveing up the rights" "Forget you, Sam Raimi" "Marc Webb aint my daddy" "Hey WB, we made a female superhero movie!"

Hitting a store near you in 2016!
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #223
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Just checked and GOTG comes out in three days. Will be picking up the first to see how it turned out.

Old 09-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #224
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Goblin View Post
I would have rather seen Spidey interact with the X-Men than The Avengers
I think for Movie crossovers the characters have to fit, at least in the sense of pre-existing franchises. and the story must also make sense and flow naturally.

Spidey and the X-Men would only fit if one of his supporting characters manifested Mutant powers and he went to Xavier to seek help for him/her.

Or he mutated into Man-spider and same as above

For the FF/X-Men crossover, since the FF are being "reborn" they can write them to crossover naturally, that would work much better than say, trying to merge the X-Men and avengers franchises an they are off in different directions and tone.

Old 09-07-2013, 05:27 PM   #225
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Just checked and GOTG comes out in three days. Will be picking up the first to see how it turned out.
Personally I don't love it, but it's a fun title. I'm kinda on Bendis overload at the moment. But I am looking forward to Neil Gaiman joining.