The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 09-06-2013, 11:16 AM   #51
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Default Re: The Twilight/Hunger Games demographic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Really, you mean besides likeable and interesting characters, a cool setting and premise, as well as interesting political and social subtext and commentary. Oh, and you didn't want the bad guys to win, unlike in Twilight when you wanted the "evil" vampires to rip Bella limb from limb, she was that detestable.
to each his own I guess, I'm to old for this *****.

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:22 AM   #52
Dr. Evil
Gamora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rac View Post
What ever happened to the Runaways? Someone should be asking about this from Feige.
I heard that the Runaways was shut down as soon as Marvel Studios announced that its films would all be a part of one cinematic universe.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Dr. Evil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:24 AM   #53
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

The one major problem I had with THG was that the guy playing the male lead was terrible. Jennifer Lawrence was so much better than him it was scary. She had more chemistry with Lenny Kravitz than her supposed love interest.

It was still a really good film. Not like Twilight at all.

Kahran Ramsus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #54
Dasher10
Side-Kick

The Hunger Games draws in a heavily female audience. The best way to hook them is with Ms. Marvel.

Dasher10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:41 PM   #55
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran Ramsus View Post
The one major problem I had with THG was that the guy playing the male lead was terrible. Jennifer Lawrence was so much better than him it was scary. She had more chemistry with Lenny Kravitz than her supposed love interest.

It was still a really good film. Not like Twilight at all.
No, I thought that he was, ok. I certainly didn't hate his performance. I agree that Jennifer Lawrence was much better, but it's Jennifer Lawrence, Academy Award Winner and nominated one other time. She's one of the best actresses on the planet, the fact that she out acted him is no big shock.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:33 PM   #56
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher10 View Post
The Hunger Games draws in a heavily female audience. The best way to hook them is with Ms. Marvel.
In my opinion, if Marvel really wants to capture the Twilight/Hunger Games demographic, they should release a series of books similar to Twilight/Hunger Games first. Then if it became a best-seller, do a movie adaptation.

"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #57
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
First of, comparing Twilight, The Hunger Games, and even Harry Potter is not a good idea. They're VERY different, they have different character types, setting, plots. themes, etc, they're DIFFERENT. Also, HP and HG are actually good, while Twilight is a blight on literature. Runaways would be the obvious choice. I always kind of saw Inhumans as closer to Game of Thrones myself. Avengers Academy is another possibility.
Game of Thrones type betrayals happen in these teen books all the time, not as gory perhaps, but I've never seen the Inhumans royal family gutted either. The focus is simply a young person who rocks the boat who is from or brought into that world.... cue Crystal. The Inhumans are the ideal property to reach the market. Runaways comes close, but any chance it had of being made is gone, so... scarcely worth mentioning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
In my opinion, if Marvel really wants to capture the Twilight/Hunger Games demographic, they should release a series of books similar to Twilight/Hunger Games first. Then if it became a best-seller, do a movie adaptation.
That's the safest way, of course, then you have to actually write such a book series... and it be good, and that's not their area of expertise. They genuinely might be better off making a really good TPB series and launching into a movie that way. From marketing you can sell the story of this young girl who's caught into this strange world with some pseudo-love interest and an element of danger that only she can overcome through her unique position in the universe and a bit of reckless bravery.

That should be enough... it's not like everyone who went to see Hunger Games had read the books, y'know?

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:35 PM   #58
Silvermoth
Avenger

Quote:
They did that recently with two books starring rogue and she hulk.

Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 04:59 PM   #59
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
how is HG any better than Twilight?
Being a great film with a strong plot and characters, i mean, you only have to check the reception of both movies to see the major difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:10 PM   #60
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

I'd prefer them to go a little less rigid actors and more younger, less upstanding/rebellious seeming, if that makes sense, for Heroes for Hire

Yaya DaCosta would be a good Misty Knight.

Cam Gigandet for Danny Rand

Ashley alters for Luke Cage

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:55 PM   #61
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
You mean like the Avengers Arena series?

Kahran Ramsus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:06 PM   #62
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

Runaways, though I'd rather see it on TV.

1. UGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

2. Give Me News, Or Get the Hell Out.

Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #63
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
Avengers Arena lacks ALL of the political and social commentary and by the others own admission is designed to make Arcade into a badass villain, because killing teenagers make one really badass.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:21 PM   #64
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Was that a best-seller book?

Old 09-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #65
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Yeah... I don't think actually ripping off the Hunger Games is a good way to get the Hunger Games audience at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidwarrior View Post
I'd prefer them to go a little less rigid actors and more younger, less upstanding/rebellious seeming, if that makes sense, for Heroes for Hire

Yaya DaCosta would be a good Misty Knight.
Yo... I love this actress. Whatever they hire her for, I'm there.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #66
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

She was also a fierce competitor in America's Next Top Model!

Old 09-09-2013, 02:57 AM   #67
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
A lot of women are, and a whole lot more aren't. Twilight Breaking Dawn made more than Avengers is tracking to make. That's a demo that's not being tapped, no matter how many of us bring along our girlfriends, or got our ex girlfriends into superheroes.

The advantages of doing so - of not pretending like Avengers is doing anything more than exhausting a fraction of the market - is exposure of Marvel characters to more people, and allowing Marvel studios to release more movies and become a more powerful studio, rather than just a studio that exists on the success of its last summer blockbuster.

At first I didn't realize that this was a necro-thread and burst out laughing at this post. What a difference a $207 million OW makes.

There is more wrong with it than just a faulty opening weekend prediction, however. Females made up over 40% of the audience for TA. The numbers were the same for IM2 & IM3. It should be apparent by now that women are strongly interested in Marvel films on their own, not merely because men happen to drag them out to the theater. Just check Tumblr if any confirmation of that is needed. There are of course plenty of female fans on this site as well but we don't necessarily prefer message forums, particularly male-dominated ones.

Since Marvel's films don't have any trouble attracting sizable portion of the female audience, the question should be, How can they attract more? It seems fairly simple to me: Add female heroes, continue to emphasize character and relationships in the films and tailor part of the marketing to attract female fans. They've already realized that Loki is a big draw for some women and are capitalizing on that, but the basic formula is in place. Appealing heroes + strong heroines (whether super or not) + great relationships = larger female audience.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:50 AM   #68
Silvermoth
Avenger

I agree. I'm sure there are tons of female creators who want to get on board and help marvel achieve world domination too!

Old 09-09-2013, 07:24 PM   #69
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
At first I didn't realize that this was a necro-thread and burst out laughing at this post. What a difference a $207 million OW makes.

There is more wrong with it than just a faulty opening weekend prediction, however. Females made up over 40% of the audience for TA. The numbers were the same for IM2 & IM3. It should be apparent by now that women are strongly interested in Marvel films on their own, not merely because men happen to drag them out to the theater. Just check Tumblr if any confirmation of that is needed. There are of course plenty of female fans on this site as well but we don't necessarily prefer message forums, particularly male-dominated ones.

Since Marvel's films don't have any trouble attracting sizable portion of the female audience, the question should be, How can they attract more? It seems fairly simple to me: Add female heroes, continue to emphasize character and relationships in the films and tailor part of the marketing to attract female fans. They've already realized that Loki is a big draw for some women and are capitalizing on that, but the basic formula is in place. Appealing heroes + strong heroines (whether super or not) + great relationships = larger female audience.
Hmmm... since you picked me to necro I'm not at all convinced that women are strongly interested in Marvel films on their own. If the majority were women, that would support that statement, but 40% could be any mixture of independent interest, tagalongs, compromises and bandwagoning. Bringing the guys often brings the women.

Now Marvel films do give women something to like on their own, that's clear, but the way to bring in more seems to be to bring in more people in general and include women as great supporting cast heroes, as with IM3 and Avengers and Cap2 and Thor3. That brings in more women without pushing away any men, because if Avengers had been 60% women with that same number of women (that's around 50% of it's real gross), we would not be talking about the film like we are, it might have been considered a let down, even.

This thread is about attracting women, girls really, who will come even if the guys don't, who will drag guys to the films and let them find something they like in it. That demographic... it is quite large, and if we check Tumblr as a dipstick, several orders more immense and dedicated than the women that swoon over Loki.

If some property where to somehow marry these two demos, to bring in the action headed guys and the romance fueled girls... that film, that might blow everything out of the water. Avengers who? That's the prize this thread was originally mulling over, all those many moons ago...

Quote:
As a note, just because a character is female doesn't mean everyone who likes a separate female character will be interested or like them, otherwise Haywire and Ultraviolet would have done gangbusters.

Last edited by DrCosmic; 09-09-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:51 PM   #70
Dasher10
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
Hmmm... since you picked me to necro I'm not at all convinced that women are strongly interested in Marvel films on their own. If the majority were women, that would support that statement, but 40% could be any mixture of independent interest, tagalongs, compromises and bandwagoning. Bringing the guys often brings the women.

Now Marvel films do give women something to like on their own, that's clear, but the way to bring in more seems to be to bring in more people in general and include women as great supporting cast heroes, as with IM3 and Avengers and Cap2 and Thor3. That brings in more women without pushing away any men, because if Avengers had been 60% women with that same number of women (that's around 50% of it's real gross), we would not be talking about the film like we are, it might have been considered a let down, even.

This thread is about attracting women, girls really, who will come even if the guys don't, who will drag guys to the films and let them find something they like in it. That demographic... it is quite large, and if we check Tumblr as a dipstick, several orders more immense and dedicated than the women that swoon over Loki.

If some property where to somehow marry these two demos, to bring in the action headed guys and the romance fueled girls... that film, that might blow everything out of the water. Avengers who? That's the prize this thread was originally mulling over, all those many moons ago...

As a note, just because a character is female doesn't mean everyone who likes a separate female character will be interested or like them, otherwise Haywire and Ultraviolet would have done gangbusters.
Haywire was undermarketed and Ultraviolet was terrible. Honestly, make a quality film and market it well and you'll see people turn up.

Dasher10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:40 PM   #71
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Haywire was undermarketed and Ultraviolet was terrible. Honestly, make a quality film and market it well and you'll see people turn up.
Haywire's marketing was fine. Everyone knew about it. But if you insist: Salt and Resident Evil. People will turn up, unless Ms. Marvel has some similarities to Hunger Games other than a the main character being female, it won't have the droves of bibliophiles and teenage girls coming out to see it. It would be a different audience, and quite possibly a smaller one.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:45 AM   #72
Silvermoth
Avenger

It's funny, droves of females turn up for certain video game releases. The bbc quoted this morning that 45% of gamers are female.

I agree that marketing a more geeky property to women is more difficult than books to bibliophiles but video games seem to have found a better formulae than comic books and certainly comic book movies, in terms of getting that fanatical love affair thing going.

Except Thor and the avengers of course. They both had deeply devoted female fans mainly because of the kick ass women and of course, the attractive men doesn't hurt!

Old 09-10-2013, 10:39 AM   #73
Loki882
Side-Kick

Are some people seriously arguing that Carol's movie would have to be similar to THG in order for young women to see it. That is both absurd and astoundingly presumptuous. Does every MALE superhero movie have to be like Batman to succeed, of course not and that's been proven time and time again. Making such broad assumptions about an audience makes little sense.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #74
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Silvermoth, If we're using Tumblr as a dipstick, it's more attractive men are the draw and kick ass women don't hurt. I'm sure we could draw some simple conclusions by looking at what video game release girls do and do not turn out in droves for.

One thing we may need to consider is that the female audience is not as simple or specific as the male audience. There is a Katniss-loving Twilight crowd. There is a GLaDOS-loving Portal crowd... they're not the same groups of women by any means. But the guys that went to see Expendables? They pretty much all went to see Avengers.

Quote:
Are some people seriously arguing that Carol's movie would have to be similar to THG in order for young women to see it. That is both absurd and astoundingly presumptuous. Does every MALE superhero movie have to be like Batman to succeed, of course not and that's been proven time and time again. Making such broad assumptions about an audience makes little sense.
It actually hasn't. You'll find that most successful superhero movies have a number of things in common when you look past the surface (as we are in this thread), even beyond things that all action movies, or even all movies, have in common in order to be appealing. In such a case, making conclusions about the audience is only logical. We can explore those similarities if you like.

And the argument, to be clear, is that it would have to be similar to THG/Harry Potter/Twilight/etc in order to get that demographic to see it in large amounts. You can certainly get a different set of women by other means, but it may not be as large.

Last edited by DrCosmic; 09-10-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:53 AM   #75
Heretic
Side-Kick

The Hunger Games and Twilight appealed to women for very, very different reasons.

Twilight's lead female can hardly even be called a character. She's a blank slate, a non-entity...so that the reader can put herself in that role and imagine that two sexy men are fighting over her. The brilliance of Twilight was writing it in such a way that Bella could have been any of the female readers.

Notice that all of the movies that adapted other young adult novels that romanticized Horror concepts have bombed. It seems that the fanbase sniffed out that these were just cash grabs that used a formula to try to get the Twilight readers.

The Hunger Games is different. That story presents a strong female lead who was not overly sexualized. In fact...when you look back at great female characters in sci-fi...like Ripley and Sarah Connor...these are characters that act like strong, determined humans, not sexual playthings written to appeal to 13 year old boys. OF COURSE women don't turn out for most female-led heroic films...those films are written and filmed to titillate teenage boys. It's always slow-mo shots focusing on their anatomy in skimpy clothes.

So...Marvel's best bet is to learn something from Hunger Games (and Alien and T2). Present a smart, strong, not overly sexualized character.

Heretic is online now   Reply With Quote