The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

View Poll Results: How have Marvel and DC handled their films?
They've both done fantastic in almost all their films! 5 8.33%
Marvel's done well in most of it's films. 25 41.67%
Marvel has done well in a few of it's films. 7 11.67%
Both have done well in some of their films. 23 38.33%
Neither have done well. 0 0%
DC has done well in almost all their films 9 15.00%
DC has done well in a few of its films. 12 20.00%
DC has had a lot of problems with it's films. 5 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-05-2013, 12:21 AM   #51
Mr. Dent

Default Re: Marvel Films vs DC Films

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wallace View Post
For me, Marvel still remains on top. When I look at the two overall, what I consider to be Marvel's best (Avengers) is far better than DC's best (Man Of Steel). Inversely, DC's worst (Superman Returns) is better than Marvel's worst (Amazing Spider-Man). But Marvel has more movies overall-most of them genuinely good, IMO, and isn't so completely dependent on two properties.

NOT to say that I didn't like any outside DC properties-I actually prefer V For Vendetta, Watchmen and even Green Lantern over the Nolan Batflicks-but they are so few and far between. Batman and Superman have a combined total of 13 movies between them, going on a 14th movie which unites them. (I should actually point out that back in '97-'98, the possibility of a joint film was bandied about and Ben Affleck's name DID come up)Marvel's cinematic enterprise began with a third-rate character (Blade) and worked its way up. But for the record, I have in my posession the Raimi Spider-Man trilogy, the first 5 X-Men films, both Fantastic Four movies, all the Avengers tie-ins, the Blade trilogy, Daredevil, Elektra, Ghost Rider, Green Lantern, V For Vendetta, both Batman series, and the first Superman. And I have EVERY INTENTION of adding Iron Man 3, Man of Steel and The Wolverine to that collection.
So out of all the horribly bad movies that have come out of both DC and Marvel properties...you think the worst are Superman Returns and Amazing Spider-Man?? Superman 4, Batman Forever, Catwoman, and X-Men Origins are far worse than those two movies. And those are just the worst of the worst examples.

I mean, it's your opinion, but it's a weird one.

2016 - Captain America 3 | Batman vs. Superman | X-Men: Apocalypse | The Amazing Spider-Man 3 | Doctor Strange
TV - Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | Agent Carter | Daredevil | Luke Cage | Iron Fist | Jessica Jones | The Defenders
TV - Arrow | The Flash | Gotham | Constantine | iZOMBIE
Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:20 AM   #52
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpy Bulge Dubz View Post
I'm really praying for all the new X Men and Spidey films to flop flat on their glutes

I refuse to support those properties until they revert back to Marvel, and if the new reboot flops, as well as first class, then it's a VERY HIGH POSSIBILITY that that's exactly what's going to happen

but they need to flop .......I urge EVERYONE to either skip them or purchase tickets to something else if you absolutely can't help yourself from checking them out

Congratulations, you're the first member here to go on my ignore list

Blade X-Men Spider-Man Blade 2 X-Men 2 HULK Spider-Man 2 Iron Man X-Men First Class Thor Captain America: The First Avenger The Amazing Spider-Man The Wolverine
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #53
Oscorp
Koloss

Live action movie-wise, Marvel is better than DC IMO. While The Dark Knight beats them all, Marvel has more quality films overall.

Though, if counting animated films it gets more even.

Oscorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:48 PM   #54
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

The thing about Marvel, is whether some of their movies are really bad, at least there's more variety when it comes to their movies and most of them got a sequel.

With DC, the only ones that got a sequel are the Batman and Superman films. And when they tried something new other than Batman/Superman, its either a commercial disappointment or hated by the critics, like Watchmen, Catwoman and Green Lantern.

Hugh Jackman - Halle Berry - Ian McKellen - Patrick Stewart
Anna Paquin - Shawn Ashmore - Daniel Cudmore - Ellen Page
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:54 PM   #55
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Well many don't really view Watchmen as DC, they don't interact with other DC characters. same with V for Vendetta.

Catwoman was so nothing like the characters it's not even attempting to be DC

GL is really the only time they tried to make a DC character other than Batman and Superman.

Blade X-Men Spider-Man Blade 2 X-Men 2 HULK Spider-Man 2 Iron Man X-Men First Class Thor Captain America: The First Avenger The Amazing Spider-Man The Wolverine
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:06 PM   #56
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

neither have done well...

lol! I want to know who comes to these forums and picks that one.

pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:19 PM   #57
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OcStat View Post
Why do you consider those movies worse than say, Elektra or X-Men Origins?
This is one of the reasons why I'm not on these boards as much anymore. I can't express an opinion on here without being criticized for it or being asked to defend it. Look, I got ZERO enjoyment out of those two movies, alright? And I'm not saying Elektra and Wolverine were gems (BTW I got Elektra out of the $5 bin, and Batman & Robin was an unavoidable part of the set so I'm stuck with it) but I still found them more entertaining than "Amazing". You disagree? Fine. @Mr Dent-I actually kinda like Batman Forever, and while I can't defend the other movies you listed (ESPECIALLY Catwoman) I stand by my opinion.

Chris Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:52 PM   #58
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidwarrior View Post
Save the honor for someone else. He's been banned since 2010, thankfully.

BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #59
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

I am a very partial DC fan, but as of right now, Marvel is better organised and giving a better product of quality and quantity overall.

There are no great movies from Marvel, all of the films in the Feige-verse have extremely simply plots with a total absence of themes. However, they are professionally executed, they are bringing people into the theatres and getting them more excited about the franchises, and thus they are successful world-building investments.

DA_Champion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 11:02 PM   #60
OcStat
Side-Kick

Quote:
This is one of the reasons why I'm not on these boards as much anymore. I can't express an opinion on here without being criticized for it or being asked to defend it. Look, I got ZERO enjoyment out of those two movies, alright? And I'm not saying Elektra and Wolverine were gems (BTW I got Elektra out of the $5 bin, and Batman & Robin was an unavoidable part of the set so I'm stuck with it) but I still found them more entertaining than "Amazing". You disagree? Fine. @Mr Dent-I actually kinda like Batman Forever, and while I can't defend the other movies you listed (ESPECIALLY Catwoman) I stand by my opinion.
Whoa there friend, I wasn't trying to criticize you, I was genuinely curious what you think those films have that the others lack is all.

For what its worth, I've enjoyed almost every comic book movie on some level and was actually pretty stoked on most of them when I saw them in the theatre (Origins, for example.) It is usually after repeated viewings where some reality sets in.

OcStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #61
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Lol, they were just asking why.

Senator Pleasury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #62
Visualiza
What is a yout?

Quote:
Well many don't really view Watchmen as DC, they don't interact with other DC characters. same with V for Vendetta.

Catwoman was so nothing like the characters it's not even attempting to be DC

GL is really the only time they tried to make a DC character other than Batman and Superman.
This is why I think the recent 'DC = quality, Marvel = quantity' belief doesn't hold much water.

People act as if stinkers like The Losers, Jonah Hex, Catwoman, Constantine, The Spirit, and Steel mysteriously don't belong under the DC umbrella. I guess to some, DC means Batman and Superman, but then that calls into question exactly how much these characters know about DC in the first place.

Fact of the matter is that both have their hits and misses.

Visualiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #63
shiva666
art designer

I think marvel are being successful at bringing their lot of characters to general audiences in live action movies.

DC on the other hand has had better results in animation.
Is there a great Marvel cartoon or animated feature anyways?

shiva666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #64
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

Yes, there's one, its the 90s X-Men cartoon series.

Hugh Jackman - Halle Berry - Ian McKellen - Patrick Stewart
Anna Paquin - Shawn Ashmore - Daniel Cudmore - Ellen Page
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #65
Green Goblin
Not the Hobgoblin!

Quote:
For me, Marvel still remains on top. When I look at the two overall, what I consider to be Marvel's best (Avengers) is far better than DC's best (Man Of Steel). Inversely, DC's worst (Superman Returns) is better than Marvel's worst (Amazing Spider-Man). But Marvel has more movies overall-most of them genuinely good, IMO, and isn't so completely dependent on two properties.

NOT to say that I didn't like any outside DC properties-I actually prefer V For Vendetta, Watchmen and even Green Lantern over the Nolan Batflicks-but they are so few and far between. Batman and Superman have a combined total of 13 movies between them, going on a 14th movie which unites them. (I should actually point out that back in '97-'98, the possibility of a joint film was bandied about and Ben Affleck's name DID come up)Marvel's cinematic enterprise began with a third-rate character (Blade) and worked its way up. But for the record, I have in my posession the Raimi Spider-Man trilogy, the first 5 X-Men films, both Fantastic Four movies, all the Avengers tie-ins, the Blade trilogy, Daredevil, Elektra, Ghost Rider, Green Lantern, V For Vendetta, both Batman series, and the first Superman. And I have EVERY INTENTION of adding Iron Man 3, Man of Steel and The Wolverine to that collection.
I know everyone has their opinion but how is TASM worse than Ghost Rider 2 or SR worse than Green Lantern?

Old 09-08-2013, 11:29 AM   #66
Green Goblin
Not the Hobgoblin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpy Bulge Dubz View Post
I'm really praying for all the new X Men and Spidey films to flop flat on their glutes

I refuse to support those properties until they revert back to Marvel, and if the new reboot flops, as well as first class, then it's a VERY HIGH POSSIBILITY that that's exactly what's going to happen

but they need to flop .......I urge EVERYONE to either skip them or purchase tickets to something else if you absolutely can't help yourself from checking them out
Stupidity and Ignorance, all in one post.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:44 AM   #67
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

Quote:

You realize that he was banned about three years ago, right?

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
DarkSovereignty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:12 PM   #68
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Wow, old thread rises again.

Without any bias, good movies made (IMO.) -

Marvel movies by Other Studios -

Good-
Spider-Man 2, X-Men 2

Mediocre-
TASM, X-Men:FC.

Marvel Movies made by Marvel Studios -

Good-
Iron Man, Avengers.

Mediocre-
TIH.

DC movies -

Good-

BB, TDK, Watchmen.

Mediocre -
SR, MOS, TDKR, V for Vendetta.

*\S/T*
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:21 PM   #69
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visualiza View Post
This is why I think the recent 'DC = quality, Marvel = quantity' belief doesn't hold much water.

People act as if stinkers like The Losers, Jonah Hex, Catwoman, Constantine, The Spirit, and Steel mysteriously don't belong under the DC umbrella. I guess to some, DC means Batman and Superman, but then that calls into question exactly how much these characters know about DC in the first place.

Fact of the matter is that both have their hits and misses.
The Spirit is Not a DC character and the movie was not made by WB (or licensed to other Studio by WB as they don't own the character)

DC simply published some Spirit comics at some time under agreement with the creators.

Catwoman movie has nothing in common with the character as it appears in Batman comics, it was similar in name only, so calling it as DC property is debatable.

*\S/T*
Old 09-08-2013, 02:12 PM   #70
Green Goblin
Not the Hobgoblin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
Wow, old thread rises again.

Without any bias, good movies made (IMO.) -

Marvel movies by Other Studios -

Good-
Spider-Man 2, X-Men 2

Mediocre-
TASM, X-Men:FC.

Marvel Movies made by Marvel Studios -

Good-
Iron Man, Avengers.

Mediocre-
TIH.

DC movies -

Good-

BB, TDK, Watchmen.

Mediocre -
SR, MOS, TDKR, V for Vendetta.
What about Thor,Cap,Spider-Man 1 and three?

I remember you before I joined. I thought you liked TDKR,TASM and FC?

Old 09-08-2013, 05:09 PM   #71
Visualiza
What is a yout?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
The Spirit is Not a DC character and the movie was not made by WB (or licensed to other Studio by WB as they don't own the character)

DC simply published some Spirit comics at some time under agreement with the creators.

Catwoman movie has nothing in common with the character as it appears in Batman comics, it was similar in name only, so calling it as DC property is debatable.
There goes that logic again. The Spirit now falls under the DC umbrella; there was even a crossover with Batman some years ago.

As for Catwoman...the fact that it was a complete reimagining of the character is neither here nor there; by that logic you could say that Blade wasn't a Marvel movie because he wasn't a Brit, among the other drastic changes to his mythology, look, and personality. He may as well have been Samoan while they were at it.

Look, I'm not trying to engage in a pissing contest; all I'm saying is that both teams have had their hits and misses, and dismissing one property from under their umbrella for whatever perceived fallacy is just a fool's errand. That's the kind of thing people do to feel comfortable in their own skin, and since I doubt any of us have any sort of ownership in either DC or Marvel, I just don't see the point.

Visualiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:06 AM   #72
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Goblin View Post
What about Thor,Cap,Spider-Man 1 and three?

I remember you before I joined. I thought you liked TDKR,TASM and FC?
As a fan I liked TASM and TDKR but I was speaking on the basis of a non fan perspective who see movies purely in terms of Cinematic merits.

Quote:
There goes that logic again. The Spirit now falls under the DC umbrella; there was even a crossover with Batman some years ago.

As for Catwoman...the fact that it was a complete reimagining of the character is neither here nor there; by that logic you could say that Blade wasn't a Marvel movie because he wasn't a Brit, among the other drastic changes to his mythology, look, and personality. He may as well have been Samoan while they were at it.
I am not aware about the rights situation (of Spirit) as it stands today but comic book cross-over can happen even if ownership is at two different companies (Marvel Vs DC comic, Star Trek and legion of Superheroes comic.)

*\S/T*

Last edited by Bruce_Begins; 09-09-2013 at 02:12 AM.