The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Future Batman Movies

View Poll Results: Should batman self narrate?
Yes 11 40.74%
No 14 51.85%
Don't know/care 2 7.41%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-02-2013, 07:38 PM   #26
Neno_Kos
Side-Kick

Default Re: Should Batman self narrate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniqueweasel View Post
I agree with Jekecy, Batman as a character is very introspective, and we need something different than previously seen, I want to get more characterisation when he's actually Batman.
I want only hear his inner monologue during times he finds new traces who leads to a villain (showing him already experienced, known as The Greatest Detective, mentions maybe characterisation of villain, his work of habits or something, where Batman together with audience can interract "It must be Joker, what they are planning etc. everything covered in big mystery, but traces are puzzles") just like in Arkham games. I just love Arkham games and they deserves own live action movie.

Neno_Kos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:34 PM   #27
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

It wouldn't bother me if it was done right. It could easily be done wrong, though. I don't think it's worth the risk.

The Boy Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:37 AM   #28
Green Goblin
Past, Present and Future

I didn't like it in IM3 so personally no.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
I'm not a fanboy, I'm just an entusiastic Spider-Man fan...
Avvy by OriginalMiles
Green Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:40 AM   #29
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

Not with Goyer writing.

Mulholland-Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:00 AM   #30
BatmanGoesToRio
Side-Kick

I hope the Batman reboot gets another writer than Goyer. The "Man Of Steel" script was pretty weak IMHO.

BatmanGoesToRio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:51 PM   #31
RustyCage
Come what may..

I was actually quite sad that this was taken out of the animated adaptation of The Dark Knight Returns. It's really the heart and soul of the book - and that goes for many other Batman books. The greats. Peter Weller could have gotten way into it and given us a gripping look at Batman's psyche.

There's something about getting into his head and really just feeling like... this is what it feels like to be Batman. This is what it feels like to -see- and -think- from inside his head.

It adds a whole new layer to the detectivey stuff, but also the combat. Instead of just cool wham-bam I'm a ninja stuff, it becomes deeply surgical and intelligent. The perspective it adds emphasizes it more than simply showing it. I feel like it provides Batman half of his personality, and that Batman's personality is sometimes missing from the existing films.

Then again, it's also a spectacle seeing a silent, steady, spooky, dark-silhouette Batman who isn't saying anything...

Are there other ways to get it across than self-narration? It's possible.

Is self-narration inherently corny? I think it's all in the quality of the writing.

Another example: RDJ's Sherlock Holmes (even though I prefer Mr. Cumberbatch, but that's beside the point).

Old 09-21-2013, 11:02 PM   #32
storyteller
Side-Kick

If you do narration it's gotta be handled with care. I like how Sherlock Holmes(RDJ) does it. What it does is that we become more intimate with the character.

Its time to be a man..................and run away.
storyteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:47 PM   #33
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by storyteller View Post
If you do narration it's gotta be handled with care. I like how Sherlock Holmes(RDJ) does it. What it does is that we become more intimate with the character.
Well said.

I just do not want to become an easy way for the writers to sprout exposition.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
“At DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:32 AM   #34
Happy Jack
Iconographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyCage View Post
I was actually quite sad that this was taken out of the animated adaptation of The Dark Knight Returns. It's really the heart and soul of the book - and that goes for many other Batman books. The greats. Peter Weller could have gotten way into it and given us a gripping look at Batman's psyche.
Yeah, I don't know why they didn't go with at least portions of it. The characters are fairly mute without it because the internal dialogue colors them deeply. And not just Batman; nearly every major character has a monologue at one point. Some of the greatest pieces of writing in the comic is the self-narration and it held the movie version back.

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Happy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:55 AM   #35
johnrain
Side-Kick

In Watchmen, they did Rorschach's journal and it was narration and it worked well.

johnrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:43 AM   #36
omens

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyCage View Post
Another example: RDJ's Sherlock Holmes (even though I prefer Mr. Cumberbatch, but that's beside the point).
That's what I thought of when I tried to recall a film with self-narration. There's also the fan-film City of Scars and it worked well there IMO.

I wouldn't want it for everything but it would be a way of demonstrating how Batman's mind works, especially if they had him in a scene portraying Bruce eg at a party, but underneath he's thinking about tactics or something.

omens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:02 AM   #37
Victarion
Dolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
No narration for me. 85-90% of the time it's just grating.

Especially if it's "He panics and rushes at me, I move swiftly and shatter his arm with a critical strike. I AM GOTHAM CITY". Shut the **** up, Bruce.
My thoughts exactly.

Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:18 PM   #38
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Sure, why not? Narration is hard to pull off though.
Also should Batman have white eyes again, like in the comics? (only better done than in TDK this time)

Laugh now, laugh later.

gwynplaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:43 AM   #39
CaptainJJ
Banned User

anyone who plays the Arkham games knows there is a lot of narration from the Bat, and to my mind it works in that context. In the films, I'd like to see him stay almost silent which would serve to make him more of a "monster" than a crime fighter. Narration during his detective work might be ok but a clever director can put the pieces together with the right camera angles and such.

CaptainJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:57 AM   #40
Two-Face
Harvey Dent

No he shouldn't not in the live-actions. Arkham games are fine when he's tell you what do to do.

Two-Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:24 AM   #41
CFE
This is a job for...

I actually don't recall there being that much narration in the "Arkham" games. Not in terms of internal monologues at least.

Batman describing the steps taken during 'Detective Mode' investigations was a necessary mechanic given the medium of being a video game but he didn't go on long diatribes about his psychology or his relationship to Gotham or whatever.

As for doing so in a film, I share the sentiment that it COULD be done well...but ultimately I'd pass on it.

If you want an example of how narration would go in a Batman film, it's simple. Just go watch the Bat In The Sun short films. "City of Scars," "Seeds of Arkham"...they use voice over narration for better or worse.

Chas Blankenship's "BAT-MANIA - The Exhibition Blog" -- Chas Blankenship's "SUPER-MANIA - The Exhibition Blog" - Coming Soon
CFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:34 AM   #42
Tequilla
Side-Kick

Its a easy way to hide the lack of talent from most comic writers. Usually in film medium , with all the visual aid , it can become a little too redundant. But yeah sure , as long as its well written.

Tequilla is offline   Reply With Quote