The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: How do you think Man of Steel will do?
1.5 billion 11 5.85%
1 billion 27 14.36%
900 million 13 6.91%
800 million 35 18.62%
700 million 41 21.81%
600 million 29 15.43%
500 million 18 9.57%
400 million 8 4.26%
300 million 2 1.06%
200 million 4 2.13%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-08-2013, 12:23 AM   #176
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

Default Re: Man of Steel Box Office Prediction Thread - - - - - - Part 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
The decision to make SvB was made months before MoS was released, when Snyder was still in editing. So to be a little more accurate, WB's is hungry for an MCU style franchise.
Agreed, I don't get the argument that Superman Vs Batman movie is getting green-light because WB are disappointed with Box Office results of MOS.

It has nothing to do with what MOS earned at Box Office. They are making SVsB movie because they want a Justice League movie in future which cannot happen without Batman.

Since it is too soon to reboot Batman, this is the way to introduce a new Batman in the shared universe. It is clear that they are setting up a shared continuity.

*\S/T*

I'll be back !
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:24 AM   #177
dalonewolf
Side-Kick

Quote:
The decision to make SvB was made months before MoS was released, when Snyder was still in editing. So to be a little more accurate, WB's is hungry for an MCU style franchise.
Omg SVB why I didnt think of that
thats so much better than spelling out the entire superman/batman lol

dalonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:21 AM   #178
Tempest
....What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by juansuperiron20 View Post
Didn't understand your point buddy... I´m a fan and I loved the movie...
Sarcasm, love.

A Christmas Card featuring a Suspicious Sort. Look closely, and you'll note that he was nowhere near the place, nor indeed was he near any place at any time.

T.H.E.M.
Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:27 AM   #179
John-An
Gal/Margot World's Finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
Sarcasm, love.
Oh get it

Old 09-10-2013, 01:15 AM   #180
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick

So MOS made $120,000 at the weekend and is once again making more than STID. STID fell off the proverbial BO cliff and only made $59,000. I still think WB missed an opportunity to make a few million more by not getting it back in a lot more theaters like WWZ/MU/STID over Labor Day weekend. Anyhow. Hopefully this week it can cross $291 million.

Stephen K. Hone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:53 AM   #181
sf2
Side-Kick

STID was release a month earlier than MOS.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #182
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
Agreed, I don't get the argument that Superman Vs Batman movie is getting green-light because WB are disappointed with Box Office results of MOS.

It has nothing to do with what MOS earned at Box Office. They are making SVsB movie because they want a Justice League movie in future which cannot happen without Batman.

Since it is too soon to reboot Batman, this is the way to introduce a new Batman in the shared universe. It is clear that they are setting up a shared continuity.
Bingo.

Mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #183
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
STID was release a month earlier than MOS.
Thank you Captain Obvious;-) I'm aware of that, but with the the increase in theaters over the Labor Day weekend STID was making good money and last weeks dailies were also higher than MOS. I'm guessing STID lost a lot of theaters on Friday.

Stephen K. Hone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #184
JKKS085
Side-Kick

STID lost 852 theaters this week end and got around half of MoS' theater count.
On a side note MoS' average/theater for the week end is still freakishly low, once again lower than Iron Man 3 or Now You See Me wich is part of the reason why WB didn't bother with a reexpanding.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #185
kalelvis
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKKS085 View Post
STID lost 852 theaters this week end and got around half of MoS' theater count.
On a side note MoS' average/theater for the week end is still freakishly low, once again lower than Iron Man 3 or Now You See Me wich is part of the reason why WB didn't bother with a reexpanding.
At the same time, last week when Star Trek and WWZ shared a double feature, MoS still had a higher per theatre average. So, there was the potential if the would have done a true re-release with even a little advertising MoS would have seen a substantial bump last week as well.

kalelvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:36 PM   #186
kalelvis
Side-Kick

MoS added an addition 3 mil in Japan this week pushing the foreign total to 370 mil and the total to 660.9 mil. Not what some of us hoped but in the grand scheme of one of the most crowded box office summers in history...a very good showing.

kalelvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:34 PM   #187
JKKS085
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalelvis View Post
At the same time, last week when Star Trek and WWZ shared a double feature, MoS still had a higher per theatre average. So, there was the potential if the would have done a true re-release with even a little advertising MoS would have seen a substantial bump last week as well.
We've been there but re-expanding (or re-releasing) a film rarely translates onto a huge bump of the average. Take The Avengers for instance, that got re-expanded last year over labor day week end. It's average the week end before it's re-release was $938 and it reached $1,121 after that. That's a meager 19% boost. And that's the kind of growth MoS could have only hoped for.

Rightfully so, I think WB decided that it was just not worth it. It would've been ridiculous to spend even more money on a film that costed them too much already and for what ? 2 more millions at best while marketing only would have cost them at least twice that amount of money (it's been rumored that Disney/Marvel spent an additionnal 5 millions, in advertising only, for the domestic re-expanding of The Avengers) ?

If the film was sitting at 298 millions and needed some boost to get to 300 millions it would've been a different story. But in terms of how the movie's number will be appreciated 291 or 293 millions is pretty much the same.

Last edited by JKKS085; 09-10-2013 at 08:38 PM.
JKKS085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:11 PM   #188
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalelvis View Post
MoS added an addition 3 mil in Japan this week pushing the foreign total to 370 mil and the total to 660.9 mil. Not what some of us hoped but in the grand scheme of one of the most crowded box office summers in history...a very good showing.
yes........yes it is.

Disney Lover and Proud!!
X Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:42 AM   #189
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKKS085 View Post
...I think WB decided that it was just not worth it. It would've been ridiculous to spend even more money on a film that costed them too much already and for what ? 2 more millions at best while marketing only would have cost them at least twice that amount of money (it's been rumored that Disney/Marvel spent an additionnal 5 millions, in advertising only, for the domestic re-expanding of The Avengers) ?

If the film was sitting at 298 millions and needed some boost to get to 300 millions it would've been a different story. But in terms of how the movie's number will be appreciated 291 or 293 millions is pretty much the same.
Re-releasing a movie (or extending its run) usually bumps its gross and is good for “bragging rights.” But typically, as a movie ages, the percentage of the box office that goes to the studio steadily declines. (Their take might be 80% to begin with, and only 20% by the end.) So - as you say - a calculation takes place which considers the extra distribution and advertising costs vs. revenue (now, a much smaller piece of the pie).

Dr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #190
dalonewolf
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Knight View Post
yes........yes it is.
Many may disagree but a very good success

Old 09-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #191
Skrilla31
Side-Kick

Quote:
And you know this.... how?

If it was in the works for that long there would have been a stronger tease in MOS, not some Wayne Enterprises satellite that's on screen for about 3 seconds that only 1 out of every 500 people that even see the movie are going to notice.

But yea that last minute put together presentation at Comic Con really hints that this was in the works for a LONG time. I'm sure there were valid reasons why the story hadn't even been conceived yet and why they decided to move forward without even knowing who they were going to cast as Batman yet. Oh, and holding back on the title... brilliant move. If I were running things I wouldn't tell anyone what the name of the movie was until a week before it's release.

Oh, and that false report about moving ahead with the MOS sequel was a nice touch. Gotta love Snyder and that "Superman needs more character development before we're ready to team him up" stuff also. Yup, this has all been one giant, masterfully conceived plan.

Skrilla31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:20 AM   #192
dalonewolf
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrilla31 View Post
And you know this.... how?

If it was in the works for that long there would have been a stronger tease in MOS, not some Wayne Enterprises satellite that's on screen for about 3 seconds that only 1 out of every 500 people that even see the movie are going to notice.

But yea that last minute put together presentation at Comic Con really hints that this was in the works for a LONG time. I'm sure there were valid reasons why the story hadn't even been conceived yet and why they decided to move forward without even knowing who they were going to cast as Batman yet. Oh, and holding back on the title... brilliant move. If I were running things I wouldn't tell anyone what the name of the movie was until a week before it's release.

Oh, and that false report about moving ahead with the MOS sequel was a nice touch. Gotta love Snyder and that "Superman needs more character development before we're ready to team him up" stuff also. Yup, this has all been one giant, masterfully conceived plan.
Josh bolin confined he had been contacted months ago about the batman role
and ben affleck has been in negotiations since march so twist it how ever u want WB have been wanting a svb since before I Am Legend why is it so hard to believe ohh I forget people like u thinks MOS was a faliure when it really is far form being so

Old 09-13-2013, 02:02 PM   #193
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

MOS has earned about 660 mil $ with 225 mil. budget.

It also secured 160 mil. even before the movie was released by various product promotional tie-ins.

http://adage.com/article/news/superm...otions/241822/

It also sold tons of merchandise stuff (Toys, action figures, T-shirts)

It will earn more by selling Blu-Rays and DVD's and movie telecast rights to various channels.

Further, WB CEO Kevin Tsujihara commented recently that the Studio is happy with the MOS collections.

Quote:

Though the choice of Affleck has troubled some Batman fans, Tsujihara said he was “perfect” for the film that Zack Snyder is directing. “We think it’s going to be huge,” he added.

Tsujihara acknowledged the “passionate” responses from the blogosphere about the casting of Affleck.

He also said that the studio “could not be happier” about the performance of “Man of Steel,” which has grossed $660 million in worldwide box office in setting the stage for the new project.

“We think it’s the perfect springboard for Batman and Superman,” he added. “Ben is perfect for the vision Zack has for that character. The fact that you saw such a passionate response in the blogosphere is really kind of a testament to the love that people have for this character.”

Tsujihara also indicated that there will be “a lot of announcements” coming out the DC Comics unit of Warner Bros., noting that currently Warner Bros. has three DC-based animated TV shows.
http://variety.com/2013/film/news/be...er-1200609573/

What else you people want, it is still a failure ? I think Not.

*\S/T*

I'll be back !

Last edited by Bruce_Begins; 09-13-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:38 PM   #194
kguillou
Side-Kick

Let me ask you guys something, if Warner had cut the budget...let's say between 150-180 mill instead of 225...do you guys think there would have been a significant difference in the final product? Where do you guys think most of that money went into? The battle scenes? Just something I've been thinking about.

kguillou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:05 PM   #195
dalonewolf
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguillou View Post
Let me ask you guys something, if Warner had cut the budget...let's say between 150-180 mill instead of 225...do you guys think there would have been a significant difference in the final product? Where do you guys think most of that money went into? The battle scenes? Just something I've been thinking about.
Form my understanding many has said that the krypton scene was very expensive I dont know just how true it is but thats what I have heard. even amc movie talk on youtube said the same thing

Old 09-13-2013, 04:08 PM   #196
dalonewolf
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
MOS has earned about 660 mil $ with 225 mil. budget.

It also secured 160 mil. even before the movie was released by various product promotional tie-ins.

http://adage.com/article/news/superm...otions/241822/

It also sold tons of merchandise stuff (Toys, action figures, T-shirts)

It will earn more by selling Blu-Rays and DVD's and movie telecast rights to various channels.

Further, WB CEO Kevin Tsujihara commented recently that the Studio is happy with the MOS collections.

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/be...er-1200609573/

What else you people want, it is still a failure ? I think Not.
Only the marvel fans think so lol

Old 09-13-2013, 05:35 PM   #197
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Quote:
Hopefully they'd have shortened the fight scenes for more scenes of character development (not saying the two are mutually exclusive) but with nearly 5 minutes for Zod vs Jor-El, 10 minutes for the Smallville fight (from "you think you can threaten my mother!" to "this man is not our enemy"), 10 minutes for Superman battling the world engine (from tendrils to "It's up to you and Hamilton now") and then another 5 minutes bringing down Zod's ship and then 10 minutes for Superman vs Zod. Is it all necessary?

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:20 PM   #198
kguillou
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
Hopefully they'd have shortened the fight scenes for more scenes of character development (not saying the two are mutually exclusive) but with nearly 5 minutes for Zod vs Jor-El, 10 minutes for the Smallville fight (from "you think you can threaten my mother!" to "this man is not our enemy"), 10 minutes for Superman battling the world engine (from tendrils to "It's up to you and Hamilton now") and then another 5 minutes bringing down Zod's ship and then 10 minutes for Superman vs Zod. Is it all necessary?
I see what your saying but, imo, I like long battle scenes, mostly because whenever I re-watch films I feel like the fight scenes are much shorter than I remembered them the first time ( In Avengers, the battle of New York scene seems shorter and shorter every time I watch it). So in that case I enjoy a good long battle that makes you feel satisfied when you watch it as opposed to "awww thats it? I want more!".

But I see what your seeing, perhaps some fat could have been trimmed. I'm just trying to determine what exactly inflated the budget of this film to 225 mill and if it could have possibly been reduced and still had an epic looking film. I mean say what you will about Sucker Punch but those battle scenes were incredibly well done and the film was only on an $82 million budget.

kguillou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:15 PM   #199
dalonewolf
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
U say that as if you hated tge acti9n

Old 09-13-2013, 08:21 PM   #200
dalonewolf
Side-Kick

Quote:
I see what your saying but, imo, I like long battle scenes, mostly because whenever I re-watch films I feel like the fight scenes are much shorter than I remembered them the first time ( In Avengers, the battle of New York scene seems shorter and shorter every time I watch it). So in that case I enjoy a good long battle that makes you feel satisfied when you watch it as opposed to "awww thats it? I want more!".

But I see what your seeing, perhaps some fat could have been trimmed. I'm just trying to determine what exactly inflated the budget of this film to 225 mill and if it could have possibly been reduced and still had an epic looking film. I mean say what you will about Sucker Punch but those battle scenes were incredibly well done and the film was only on an $82 million budget.
The only fight scene I could have did with out was the world engine scene .and I see when watching the avengers as a veiwer u realize wasn't that much action in it thor vs iron man lasted 1:30 hulk vs thor was only about 3 mins and the last battle was about 8mins so out of a 2 hour movie there is only about 20mins solid action when u include the opening scene