The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Avengers: Age Of Ultron

Old 09-08-2013, 07:25 PM   #26
TheHeatKitchen
Side-Kick

Default Re: Are you tired of Iron Man being overexposed?

RDJ is the face of the MCU right now. The first movie was a hit that started it all. He's insanely popular, and for good reason.

As for overexposure, as someone else mentioned, three of the movies so far were Iron Man solo films. He just had a sequel in Phase 1. It's not he's had an extended cameo or supporting role in EVERY MCU movie so far. He's been in three Iron Man films, the Avengers and 30 seconds of The Incredible Hulk.

Also, OP, we all know you don't like the MCU and prefer the X-Men world. How do you feel about Wolverine being shoved down our throats? He's had two solo films, was the central character in three group films and had a cameo in First Class.

To Date:
MCU: seven films, Iron Man appears as key role in four (plus cameo in one)
XMU: six films, Wolverin appears as key role in five (plus cameo in one)

Things that make you go... hmmmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Goblin View Post
I mean have a new central hero. I liked the idea of Dr Strange being it.
I can agree with the beginning of that statement, but not the second part. I like Dr. Strange, but having him as the central hero in a film universe that includes Thor and Captain America? I'm not impressed. He doesn't have the popularity to be the central character.

IMO, it should go to Captain America. He's the leader, the patriotic figure, Marvel's next in line to be "the face," and a charismatic actor to carry the load. Pull Stark back to the #2 position, keep Thor at #3 and propel Rodgers to #1. He's the guy.

**a section has been removed and infracted**

Last edited by C. Lee; 09-09-2013 at 03:35 PM.
TheHeatKitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:12 PM   #27
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

Sorry for taking the bait. I'm new here.

Huge fan of the MCU and RDJ but I love all the characters - especially Thor and Cap. I just want them all to shine.

There hasn't been an MCU turkey yet and Thor is my favorite of the pre-Avengers films. If T:TDW rocks the house, I'll be content.

Ragnaroknroll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:45 PM   #28
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

It only bothers me when Iron Man starts leading the Avengers in other adaptations. Then I'm like: wait, stop it.

DrCosmic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:21 AM   #29
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I don't think I'm tired with Iron Man. But I feel like when it comes to "The Avengers", Captain America should be the #1 star and in the first Avengers movie, I felt like Iron Man easily took the spotlight and got more prominent moments. I also couldn't relate to Iron Man and I don't find his "jokes" funny and necessary to the film.

"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:38 AM   #30
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

RDJ's Iron Man is great, but they can tone him down a bit and let others get in on the spotlight more.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:15 AM   #31
Drakepool
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
RDJ's Iron Man is great, but they can tone him down a bit and let others get in on the spotlight more.
This is pretty much my stance. I just hope later Avengers sequels don't become whorefests for Iron Man, leaving the other guys in the dust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
These threads are becoming quite tiring, in themselves: I am awaiting for the 'Are You Tired of Stan Lee Being Overexposed' one.
Speaking of which, where's my Stan Lee solo movie?

Old 09-09-2013, 02:57 AM   #32
KRYPTON INC.
Side-Kick

Stan "The Man" Lee IS Man-Man!! He has all the powers of a man, except he's a man. Genius! Ecelsior!!!!!!

He truly proved that every person has the potential to be a force for good in this life. So anyone that reads this, do me a favor... Call your parents.
KRYPTON INC. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:02 AM   #33
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
3 Downey IM movies, 3 Hems Thor movies, 3 Evans Cap movies, 3 Avengers movies with all three.

There's really no disparity here, except that Thor was in the first Avengers movie for like 8 fewer minutes than the other two, and that the IM movies came first. And honestly this "issue" is only ever brought up by people who clearly have an axe to grind
Why do you always have to bring Terrax into everything?

2015: Ant-Man
2016: Thor: Ragnarok, Doctor Strange
2017: Captain America: Secret Empire, Black Panther
2018: The Incredible Hulk: Rise of the Leader, Guardians of the Galaxy: War of Kings
2019: The Inhumans, Avengers: Thanos Imperative
KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:27 AM   #34
Dr. Evil
Gamora

Outside of AOU and Avengers 3, we'll be seeing less of Tony Stark from here on out.

In fact, the only Avengers connection we might see in Phase 3 outside of Thor 3, Cap 3 and Avengers 3 will probably be a Nick Fury appearance after the credits to Ant Man and Doctor Strange.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Dr. Evil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:44 AM   #35
DaddlerTheDalek
Starship Captain

RDJ as Iron Man is Awesome, but I think that Cap is going to be the TA2.

DaddlerTheDalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:27 PM   #36
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

It would be odd if he (or Jackman) wasn't overexposed. Big time actors that are a focal point in selling the movie don't get "reduced" roles, and especially not just to please fanboys. Don't like it? Go call Hollywood about it.

Mulholland-Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:02 PM   #37
Ragnaroknroll
Side-Kick

I feel worse for X-Men fans. At least we are getting Captain America and Thor solo films. Cyclops - leader of the X-Men - just got tossed in the dustbin. And it doesn't sound like DOFP is going to bring him back.

Ragnaroknroll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #38
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnaroknroll View Post
I feel worse for X-Men fans. At least we are getting Captain America and Thor solo films. Cyclops - leader of the X-Men - just got tossed in the dustbin. And it doesn't sound like DOFP is going to bring him back.
With a time-travel/alternate reality plot, anything is possible.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
At DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:28 PM   #39
Broseph44
Dats what I'm saying

I dunno he wears a lot of armor so I don't see how he's being over exposed. Haven't seen iron mans junk once yet in 4 films

Dats it!

I believe in Ben Affleck.

Hal: Were we ever truly friends?
Sinestro: Thats the tragedy of all of this, Jordan. Hal, well always be friends.
Broseph44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #40
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnaroknroll View Post
I don't mind. As long as the other X-Men contribute to the story somehow which I thought Singer did well with X2. The solo movies feel like filler to me honestly.

Mulholland-Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #41
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Goblin View Post
I think he liked IM,Thor and Captain America.

He has expressed his hate for TA a few times.
Green Goblin is correct, i don't hate the MCU at all, i like those you mentioned very much and can't wait to see GOTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
I hated MOS, but you won't see me over in its sequel forum posting random troll threads. People here should simply stop rising to the bait. Don't respond to biased threads like this on substance and they'll die a lonely death.
This is not a troll thread, nor is it random, nor is it biased. The question is 100% valid since Iron Man is factually the most used of the Avenger heroes on film.

Check my OP. i ask the question and present facts. I never stated a like or dislike opinion on the question at hand.

Read before making ASSumptions

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeatKitchen View Post
How do you feel about Wolverine being shoved down our throats? He's had two solo films, was the central character in three group films and had a cameo in First Class.

To Date:
MCU: seven films, Iron Man appears as key role in four (plus cameo in one)
XMU: six films, Wolverin appears as key role in five (plus cameo in one)
i don't deny Wolverine being oversexposed. Your summation of his presence in the franchise is quite correct.

Though in the format of my original post here, Wolverine has had 6 appearances over 13 years which equal out to 0.46 appearances a year compared to Iron Mans 1.00 a year.

I'd apply Loki882s opinion of Iron Mans exposure to Wolverine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882
I really don't see the overexposure argument, all the movies he's appeared in he SHOULD appear in

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)

Last edited by C. Lee; 09-09-2013 at 03:35 PM.
CyclopsWasRight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:28 PM   #42
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

The question is - Are you tired of Iron Man being overexposed?

Well, since I don't think he has been overexposed....then I guess my answer is no.

You say he has been in 5 movies....I say he has been in 4, because a two minute cameo not in the Iron suit as an after credit bone to the comicfans that 90% of the actual viewing audience didn't see....doesn't mean much. And even if that one had been longer and could actually be called a "role" in the movie itself....my feeling would be fine. He's a popular character and is bringing in non comic fans to see the movies.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #43
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

I agree concerning hid TIH cameo, thats why i didn't refer to the 5 time we've seen him on-screen as roles but appearances.

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #44
T"Challa
Side-Kick

He's not Overexposed. he's simply the most popular and charismatic actor with the general public. He's getting 3 solo movies and 3 Avengers movies. Evans and Hemsworth will probably get the same. Black Widow and Hulk will probably have shown up at least 4 times by the time Avengers 3 rolls by. He didnt even get the most screentime in Avengers.

This is not a Wolverine situation, not even close.

1. The Avengers 2. The Dark Knight 3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier . 4.[X-Men:DOFP[/B] 5.Spiderman 2 6. X2: X Men United. 7. Iron Man 8. Batman Begins. 9. X-Men: First Class 10. Captain America: The First Avenger
T"Challa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:45 PM   #45
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

So your saying in the years to come all characters will even out as far as appearances go and none will become more utilised or exposed than the others?

Thats a strong possibility. I however don't see them paying RDJ the money they did not to continue using him and padding his appearances as the central character

Last edited by CyclopsWasRight; 09-09-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #46
T"Challa
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidwarrior View Post
So your saying in the years to come all characters will even out as far as appearances go and none will become more utilised or exposed than the others?

Thats a strong possibility. I however don't see thempaying RDJ the money they did not to continue using him and thus having the other characters play catch up
RDJ is most likely done after Avengers 3. He'll be in his 50's by then and i'm sure he'll want to give the character a rest. Either way, my point still stands: popularity =/= overexposure. He has appeared more times than the others simply because his movie came out first, hence his sequels also came out before the others. He's just first in the assembly line thats all.

1. The Avengers 2. The Dark Knight 3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier . 4.[X-Men:DOFP[/B] 5.Spiderman 2 6. X2: X Men United. 7. Iron Man 8. Batman Begins. 9. X-Men: First Class 10. Captain America: The First Avenger
T"Challa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:53 PM   #47
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T"Challa View Post
He has appeared more times than the others simply because his movie came out first, hence his sequels also came out before the others. He's just first in the assembly line thats all.
Thats an excellent point.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:05 PM   #48
TheHeatKitchen
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by droidwarrior View Post
i don't deny Wolverine being oversexposed. Your summation of his presence in the franchise is quite correct.

Though in the format of my original post here, Wolverine has had 6 appearances over 13 years which equal out to 0.46 appearances a year compared to Iron Mans 1.00 a year.

I'd apply Loki882s opinion of Iron Mans exposure to Wolverine...
The time span shouldn't really matter. It's the percentage that matters. Wolverine has been in everything. Iron Man has appeared in Iron Man movies and The Avengers, plus a 20-second spot in the second film setting up the MCU. It's not RDJ's fault that Marvel can put out quality movies at a faster rate than Fox can.

Bottom line, I respectfully disagree that Iron Man has been overexposed, and proposed that Wolverine's exposure has been larger and more agonizing than Iron Man's.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #49
TheHeatKitchen
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
The question is - Are you tired of Iron Man being overexposed?

Well, since I don't think he has been overexposed....then I guess my answer is no.

You say he has been in 5 movies....I say he has been in 4, because a two minute cameo not in the Iron suit as an after credit bone to the comicfans that 90% of the actual viewing audience didn't see....doesn't mean much. And even if that one had been longer and could actually be called a "role" in the movie itself....my feeling would be fine. He's a popular character and is bringing in non comic fans to see the movies.
That's the biggest thing. The comic fans are going to come to the movie regardless. It's the non-comic fans that bring the big money. The general audience likes him and Stark Industries ties all of the MCU movies together.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #50
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
These threads are becoming quite tiring, in themselves: I am awaiting for the 'Are You Tired of Stan Lee Being Overexposed' one.
This

def28 is offline   Reply With Quote