Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Sony

Old 09-09-2013, 08:36 AM   #351
Electro UK
Can't all be for nothing

Default Re: Official PlayStation Vita Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
really? Then I stand corrected.
I can't say for 100% certain but no reference has been made to needing a PSV whatsoever. It doesn't feature in the intro vid at all. I think it's a lot cheaper simply because you're losing the portable factor and there's no screen/control input.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:59 AM   #352
StrainedEyes
All the way up it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron Bonne View Post
Well then, what the **** is the point of this thing? Just to play Vita games on your TV? I thought you could do that with remote play. $100 just for that? It does that other stuff, too, but nothing that the PS3 doesn't do already or the PS4 won't.
Being able to stream your PS4 to any TV in your house is a pretty cool feature.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:05 AM   #353
Electro UK
Can't all be for nothing

Quote:
I kind of feel Sony shot themselves in the foot here not requiring a Vita. Why get a Vita now when there's a device that's half the price and doesn't require one to play the games? Being handheld doesn't do it for me bc I'm rarely in a situation where I need gaming on the go. I was considering a Vita for when I go on vacation this holiday but something like this would allow me to travel with my PS4, PSN and Vita library and play games how I prefer, on a TV. I was like 80% leaning on getting a Vita but now reconsidering.
I don't think you'll be able to stream PS4 from anywhere in the world on either the Vita or the Vita TV. That was the dream with PSP/PS3 I know, but I think this is limited to more Wii U-like functionality.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:48 AM   #354
Tron Bonne
Nothing Less Than 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrainedEyes View Post
Being able to stream your PS4 to any TV in your house is a pretty cool feature.
It is, but that plus Vita on your TV isn't nearly $100 cool. At least not to me. It does stream other stuff, but since your PS3 or Ps4 can do the same, it would be rather redundant.

Quote:
I kind of feel Sony shot themselves in the foot here not requiring a Vita. Why get a Vita now when there's a device that's half the price and doesn't require one to play the games? Being handheld doesn't do it for me bc I'm rarely in a situation where I need gaming on the go. I was considering a Vita for when I go on vacation this holiday but something like this would allow me to travel with my PS4, PSN and Vita library and play games how I prefer, on a TV. I was like 80% leaning on getting a Vita but now reconsidering.
Vita's aren't exactly flying off the shelves, so I don't particularly think that undercutting their mainstream hardware sales is a huge issue for Sony. I think they want to get as much hardware as possible out there to sell their software, which is were the bulk of their money has come from with their game division since the PS2. A $100 add-on that would just put Vita games on your TV and stream PS4 games to other TVs would also be a pretty horrible value.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hideki Kamiya
Is that IGN thing your god or something?
Tron Bonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:06 AM   #355
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron Bonne View Post
Vita's aren't exactly flying off the shelves, so I don't particularly think that undercutting their mainstream hardware sales is a huge issue for Sony. I think they want to get as much hardware as possible out there to sell their software, which is were the bulk of their money has come from with their game division since the PS2. A $100 add-on that would just put Vita games on your TV and stream PS4 games to other TVs would also be a pretty horrible value.
they haven't given it a chance to grow and start selling. They just released a bunch if promising info and plans to make the Vita more attractive from the gaming announcements, price drop, new model, PS4 compatibility , etc.... All that could lead to a boost in Vita sales going into this holiday season but they did undercut the system with this device and its like they took several steps forward while going back at the same time

Adding HDMI out on the Vita wouldn't require a $100 accessory and would have consolidated this all and made more sense. The Vita TV kind of seems unnecessary as it doesn't seem capable of any functionality that the Vita can't already do. A video out feature is something that should have been added instead of requiring a $100 device to get something close to that. Heck I don't see why this is even necessary to play Vita games as the PS4 technically should

Last edited by Havok83; 09-09-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #356
Benstamania
Cool... But rude.

Yeah, my first thought was "damn it.. Did Sony just kill the Vita?"

Revelation 22:20
Benstamania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #357
Benstamania
Cool... But rude.

That being said... I would buy this to stream my PS4 to any TV in my house. It's like Apple TV for gaming.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #358
Electro UK
Can't all be for nothing

I don't think they've killed the Vita at all with this. The only discrepancy I pick up on is undercutting the PS4 with it. In fact I wonder if a later PS4 model might incorporate it right in.

I'll get one for sure - Soul Sacrifice Delta on my TV? That's me, right there.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #359
MagnarTheGreat
Searching with Jade

Vita TV is a console that plays their handheld line of games (and more). Which is at least somewhat close to the scenario of what I'd hope Nintendo would do in the future.

This is mostly good for Vita as a platform (minus the issue of touchscreen games not being playable with a DualShock 3). And not too expensive.

I'd hope the PS4 would play PSP and Vita games but we have had no word about that or their emulation plans.

MagnarTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #360
Havok83
Side-Kick

As far as the touch screen capability, if they dont patch in Vita support, I wonder if the touchpad on the DS4 might be able to at least have some functionality there

hold up, can this connect to an external hard drive so you can store all your gaming content as well as media or will it require a Vita memory card?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electro UK View Post
I don't think they've killed the Vita at all with this. The only discrepancy I pick up on is undercutting the PS4 with it. In fact I wonder if a later PS4 model might incorporate it right in.

I'll get one for sure - Soul Sacrifice Delta on my TV? That's me, right there.
it kind of does both as many people do have multiple consoles in their house. Why buy another PS4 if you can get this for $100? The thing is can this be used at the same time the PS4 is being used? Bc current remote play is just about streaming the consoles to the handheld. Like someone cant be using a PS3 at the same time someone on a PSP is trying to remote play

Last edited by Havok83; 09-09-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:39 PM   #361
Benstamania
Cool... But rude.

After thinking more about this.. This is a great and smart move by sony, effectively turning this into an affordable console in it's own right with the possibility streaming PS3 games to it via Gaikai.

At the same time a lot of people who have never bought PSP/PSV and have no intention of buying a portable system will now be able to get their hands on exclusives for those platforms relatively cheap and easy.

The bigger the user base the more people developing games for the platform the more software sales the more money.

On top of that, people who have a PS4 in their living room but wish to play games in their bedroom can simply get this little gizmo and stream your PS4 to the bedroom.

the more people who have the platform, the bigger the user base the more software it gets the happier everybody is.

it also wouldn't surprise me if like Apply they release a yearly/bi-yearly upgrade with better specs meaning in 10 years it could be just as powerful as the PS4 able to stream PS5 quality games.

remember, sony makes it's money on the software.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:40 PM   #362
MagnarTheGreat
Searching with Jade

It kind of takes me back to the 1990s. I didn't have a GameBoy (I had a Sega Game Gear) but I had a Super GameBoy and that's how I played a lot of GameBoy games back in the day. Probably the reason why I always liked the idea of unifying the consoles/handhelds as much as possible.

MagnarTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #363
Electro UK
Can't all be for nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnarTheGreat View Post
It kind of takes me back to the 1990s. I didn't have a GameBoy (I had a Sega Game Gear) but I had a Super GameBoy and that's how I played a lot of GameBoy games back in the day. Probably the reason why I always liked the idea of unifying the consoles/handhelds as much as possible.
Yeah, it really does feel like that.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:01 PM   #364
X Knight
Straight Edge Knight

so....wait.....with the Vita TV you DO NOT need a Vita to play the games??

if that's the case, this would be great if/when it comes to the states. there have been several Vita and PSP games I've been wanting to try out, but didn't want to get either system.

X Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:38 PM   #365
Electro UK
Can't all be for nothing

Yeah, you don't need a Vita. Just been reading up and that seems definite.

I'll be excited to try out some of Sony Bend's old PSP titles with a DualShock.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:15 AM   #366
Superhero 101
DESI

Have they released any pics comparing how thin the new vita is compared to the older one

Old 09-10-2013, 04:46 AM   #367
Two-Face
The White Knight

Thank God, I didn't buy now, I will wait for the 2000 Vita.

Two-Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:15 AM   #368
Electro UK
Can't all be for nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-Face View Post
Thank God, I didn't buy now, I will wait for the 2000 Vita.
I'd wait for the verdict on the new screen before you do that.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:21 AM   #369
Two-Face
The White Knight

Yeah I wish I could try before I buy.

Two-Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:52 AM   #370
Electro UK
Can't all be for nothing

The hour longer battery is nice but, honestly, the weight and size of the Vita as it is right now just isn't an issue, and if the screen downgrade is noticeable then I'd really just suggest the original model.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:15 AM   #371
Havok83
Side-Kick

I don't get how the battery life is longer. Isnt OLED more power efficient than LCD? That's always touted as one of the advantages over it

IA on the size and weight. I actually think the system is a bit too light right now and making it lighter is a negative for me as I would rather it have a bit of weight to it. I also think its a bit on the big side but making it thinner doesn't fix that so that's doesn't do me any good

Really interesting to hear what the gaming sites say about the screen as I don't expect to see any demo models out on store floors.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #372
Tron Bonne
Nothing Less Than 100%

Quote:
they haven't given it a chance to grow and start selling. They just released a bunch if promising info and plans to make the Vita more attractive from the gaming announcements, price drop, new model, PS4 compatibility , etc.... All that could lead to a boost in Vita sales going into this holiday season but they did undercut the system with this device and its like they took several steps forward while going back at the same time

Adding HDMI out on the Vita wouldn't require a $100 accessory and would have consolidated this all and made more sense. The Vita TV kind of seems unnecessary as it doesn't seem capable of any functionality that the Vita can't already do. A video out feature is something that should have been added instead of requiring a $100 device to get something close to that. Heck I don't see why this is even necessary to play Vita games as the PS4 technically should
Well, that's an optimistic viewpoint to take, but the truth is that after nearly two years on the market, the Vita has really failed to find an audience. It's selling at a fraction of what the PSP was selling and getting steamrolled by the 3DS. Even with this massive price cut, it's still $30 more expensive than an OG 3DS, and $70 more than the upcoming 2DS. And that's all before the also super expensive memory cards. And even with the price point, there doesn't seem to be a lot of hype surrounding the machine even now. I won't say dead in the water, but it's definitely not making much waves.

I don't think Sony is putting this out there to intentionally undercut the Vita handheld sales, but I think they're looking more at what they need to do to move Vita software, and creating this very inexpensive device is probably the best bet, because they just aren't breaking into that with the handheld market by itself.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hideki Kamiya
Is that IGN thing your god or something?
Tron Bonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:05 AM   #373
Havok83
Side-Kick

you can get a used Vita here for $120

http://www.cowboom.com/deal-of-the-d...mpaign=1312731

Old 09-12-2013, 12:54 AM   #374
Superhero 101
DESI

Wow thank god I got the vita early on that LCD vita looks horrible

Old 09-15-2013, 09:32 AM   #375
Nathan

Screen Comparison: New PS Vita (LCD) vs PS Vita (AMOLED)
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!: