The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 09-10-2013, 11:52 AM   #101
the last son
Side-Kick

Default Re: Hans Zimmers: Scoring Bats vs Supes AND Batman?

The biggest crime of this movie was not playing the ending of General Zods theme while Superman and Lois kissed.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:05 PM   #102
Kevin Smith
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
I'll see you around.
You do that.

Kevin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #103
Fedor
Side-Kick

As of now, i cant stop listening to the MOS soundtrack. It might be the best thing i have ever heard. Sometimes i even think that the soundtrack is better than the movie itself. Anytime i listen to some of the tracks it gives goosebumps i did not get while watching the movie. When listening to the soundtrack it gives me the feeling that the movie is more grandios and epic than it actually is.

For this reason Zimmer has to stay, but this time, please give the soundtrack more room and make it more noticable!

Fedor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:27 PM   #104
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by the last son View Post
Zimmer has way more range than Williams. Williams vs Zimmer on one iconic track, Williams wins every time. It's the in between stuff the subtle, slow, building moments where Zimmer wins 9/10 times against Williams. Had you heard an entire Williams soundtrack? Very boring. Again just listen to the entire Last Samurai Soundtrack and there will be nothing else to discuss.

Here we go again with the Williams/Zimmer debate. It's fine if you prefer Zimmer over Williams, but to say Hans has more range than John Williams b/c of his Last Samurai score is absurd. One score by Hans proves that he has more range than Williams? Really? Look at Williams resume. He's been scoring movies while Zimmer was still in diapers. The man scored all kinds of genres before and after SW:ANH. The man is still one of the most diverse composers in the industry working today. Plus Williams actually writes his own music without the help of additional composers unlike HZ. I agree that Zimmer does have range more than his superhero scores have to show for it. I also think it's inane to think that Hans has more range b/c you find Williams' scores "boring". Maybe Williams' scores aren't your cup of tea, but it doesn't mean Zimmer has more range than him. Also what are these Williams scores you find "boring"? I didn't find anything boring about his scores for S:TM, Raiders, Temple of Doom, Last Crusade, Star Wars OT, and Hook to name a few.

Elevator Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:12 PM   #105
the last son
Side-Kick

Ok, but over the span of an hour when you have to fill an entire soundtrack Williams can hit you with the main theme, but not much else. How many songs can you name of Williams scores outside of the main theme for that movie. Take Superman The movie for example. You know the theme and not much else. Now what about Zimmer MOS score. You know the name of almost every track on the soundtrack. Now you may say its because Williams Superman theme is that iconic you don't need to know the other tracks. Well, I'm here to tell you it's because they aren't memorable. His main themes are great. The best ever. Zimmer is the better movie composer. His music can span over the course of a two hour film. The Last Samurai >> Any full album Williams has ever done.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #106
Zorex
No T, No Shade

I don't know how drones, tuneless sound design elements, and loud, repetitive percussion make a better score than masterful & stirring working of strings, brass and woodwinds, but, hey. To each their own.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:49 PM   #107
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Ok, but over the span of an hour when you have to fill an entire soundtrack Williams can hit you with the main theme, but not much else. How many songs can you name of Williams scores outside of the main theme for that movie. Take Superman The movie for example. You know the theme and not much else. Now what about Zimmer MOS score. You know the name of almost every track on the soundtrack. Now you may say its because Williams Superman theme is that iconic you don't need to know the other tracks. Well, I'm here to tell you it's because they aren't memorable. His main themes are great. The best ever. Zimmer is the better movie composer. His music can span over the course of a two hour film. The Last Samurai >> Any full album Williams has ever done.
"My Friend the Brachiosours"

"The love theme from Superman"

"You are the Pan"-Hook

The Basket Chase-Raiders of the Lost Ark

The Map Room/Dawn-ROTLA

The Imperial March-Empire Strikes Back

Brother and Sister/Luke and Lea-Return of the Jedi

"Toys" ET-the extra terrestrial

The Barrel Chase-Jaws

And so on..

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:11 PM   #108
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Duel of the Fates- The Phantom Menace

Duel of the Heroes- The Revenge of the Sith

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:13 PM   #109
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Ok, but over the span of an hour when you have to fill an entire soundtrack Williams can hit you with the main theme, but not much else.
Well that might be true for you.

Quote:
How many songs can you name of Williams scores outside of the main theme for that movie. Take Superman The movie for example. You know the theme and not much else.
To name a few "Planet Krypton" (Krypton's theme/Jor-El's theme), "Leaving Home" (Smallville/Pa & Ma Kent's theme), "The Fortress Of Solitude" (again Krypton and Jor-El's theme), "March Of The Villains" (Luthor and his gang's theme), "Can You Read My Mind" (Lois Lane theme/love theme).

Quote:
Now what about Zimmer MOS score. You know the name of almost every track on the soundtrack.
Can't comment b/c I don't own the MOS score. So I'm not familiar with any of the tracks.

Quote:
Now you may say its because Williams Superman theme is that iconic you don't need to know the other tracks. Well, I'm here to tell you it's because they aren't memorable.
That's not true b/c I gave examples of other themes from S:TM above. Krypton has a theme, Smallville/Jonathan and Martha Kent have a theme, Luthor and his gang have a theme, Lois Lane has a theme. I find each of those memorable rather than "forgettable". Plus the sequels that followed used some of those themes I mentioned even Ottman's SR.

Quote:
His main themes are great. The best ever. Zimmer is the better movie composer. His music can span over the course of a two hour film. The Last Samurai >> Any full album Williams has ever done.
Well that's your opinion. I don't see how MOS and TLS proves Zimmer's scores are better than Williams whole body of work. But to each his own. I honestly believe Williams just isn't your kind of composer. Especially if you find all of his scores "boring" and "forgettable" besides it's main themes. I believe Williams and many other composers music can span over the course of 2 hrs. And not just Zimmer's I might add.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:14 PM   #110
Caekzor
Nolanesque

It's too bad Snyder wasn't able to go with Williams like he originally wanted to.

Caekzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #111
the last son
Side-Kick

I've never heard Snyder wanted Williams for this project. The last score I heard of his was War Horse and outside of "Reunion" I wasn't too impressed. Reunion was beautiful though. Personally I agree that Williams is better, because his themes are too iconic. For my personal listening pleasures though I choose Zimmer all day everyday.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #112
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

^And there's nothing wrong with that. Despite my complaints and criticisms about his Batman and Superman scores I still think Zimmer is a great composer at times.

@Caekzor I don't know where you got that info from that Snyder wanted Williams. I don't recall him ever mentioning Williams when mentioning MOS' score. I'm pretty sure he always had Zimmer in mind for MOS.

Last edited by Elevator Man; 09-10-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:29 PM   #113
the last son
Side-Kick

Wow. You didn't like Begins either? That score was beautiful.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:32 PM   #114
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Zimmer's great, and I'd love him to return for SvB.

But Williams is the best ever.

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:37 PM   #115
Caekzor
Nolanesque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevator Man View Post
@Caekzor I don't know where you got that info from that Snyder wanted Williams. I don't recall him ever mentioning Williams when mentioning MOS' score. I'm pretty sure he always had Zimmer in mind for MOS.
Heard it from someone who worked on the film.

Caekzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #116
the last son
Side-Kick

There is no way in the world Snyder wanted Williams. Snyder was lucky to have Nolan involved and wanted this movie to be as close to Begins as possible. Also, they wanted to get as far away from STM as possible.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:29 PM   #117
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Wow. You didn't like Begins either? That score was beautiful.
Tbh, I don't dislike his BB score. I think it's average for the most part. It might even be the best of TDKT scores, imho. I guess overtime I tacked it on with the other two scores. Especially hearing how the trilogy came out as a whole musically.The score feels like a psychological journey with Bruce Wayne than a Batman score, imo. Which isn't necessary a bad thing b/c I'm sure that was the movie's intention. I love the tender and more dramatic moments in the score that I assume was JNH's. I enjoy "Lasiurus" as well. But I guess my expectations were too high with it being a Zimmer and JNH collaboration.

TDK score is nothing more than a "guilty pleasure" than anything else for me. I personally think it could've better. Some of the tracks has some droning. I enjoyed JNH's Harvey Dent theme, even though it was a variation on one of the dozen motifs for Batman in BB. And I actually enjoyed Zimmer's "Like a Dog Chasing Cars" cue, I find the Joker motif to be repetitve and redundant at times. I personally believe "the clown prince of crime" deserved a better theme. Now sure that approach might've been effective in the movie, but on album not so much. There's only so much you can do with one or two notes.

I'm not a fan of Zimmer's TDKR, which is easily the weakest of the TDKT scores, imo. That score for the most part felt like it was riding on fumes with the recurring themes from the previous two. I thought his Bane chant was underutilized. His catwoman motif wasn't anything special for me either. I could tell JNH wasn't involved b/c it was lacking something. I couldn't in anyway connect with the score on an emotional level either. This score honestly felt lazy to me. And that's a shame with it being Batman's last adventure.

That's in a nutshell how I feel about the TDKT scores. It just doesn't connect to me on the same level as Elfman's, Walker's and Goldenthal's Batman scores have.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #118
the last son
Side-Kick

Ok what was Elfman's brilliant Joker score?

Old 09-10-2013, 08:03 PM   #119
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

When I say Zimmer's Joker theme/motif could've been better. I don't mean it should've been like Elfman's or Walker's (from B:TAS), which were perfect for their versions. I just think he should've done more with it. He gave Batman a dozen or so themes/motifs in BB. Joker could've used a few more motifs. I'll give Zimmer this he did capture the uneasy feeling of "chaos" and "anarchy".

But since you asked here's Elfman's "brilliant" Joker theme, which he only used 2 or 3 times in the actual movie. Really highlights Nicholson's twisted sense of humor, imo.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 09-10-2013, 08:16 PM   #120
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Well, to be fair there was more to Zimmer's Joker theme than just the rising one note. The tracks "Why So Serious?" and "Bank Robbery" feature a lot of the really cool fast, frenetic stuff he did for Joker. My favorite part might be the buzzsaw sounding synth when Joker gets in the car for the heist, and again later during the hospital scene.

I know for some that's just more sound design stuff, but I thought it was really effective. Hans' Joker stuff really got under my skin. It's not pretty to listen to, but man I'll be damned if it wasn't extremely effective.

Personally though, the TDKR score was by far my favorite of the trilogy. It's kind of interesting to see how the score seems to split people similar to how the movie does. I found it very emotional.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:25 PM   #121
the last son
Side-Kick

Agreed. That buzzsaw was perfect. Chilling, horrifying, and menacing. Not quite as iconic but just as effective as Williams Jaws build up.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:21 AM   #122
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

TDKR definitely had the best stuff imo.

when the drums kick in during the plane heist? man oh man

When Blake talks with Bruce, "to be angry, in your bones".

When Bruce finds Selina. "Is that what they say about me?"

When S hits the F after Selina sells the fingerprints.

When Batman looks up to see the cops coming down the street.

When Bruce climbs out of the pit

When Batman gets the upper hand in the second Bane fight

So many great moments.

Last edited by FeedOnATreeFrog; 09-11-2013 at 12:49 AM.
FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:34 AM   #123
TheBat812
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorex View Post
I don't know how drones, tuneless sound design elements, and loud, repetitive percussion make a better score than masterful & stirring working of strings, brass and woodwinds, but, hey. To each their own.
Both are forms of aural storytelling. If you prefer one over the other that's your opinion. I appreciate both.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:39 AM   #124
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

actually pretty much all 'legit' scholarly music is now all about timbre, quality of sound, atonal compositions

FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:05 AM   #125
Kevin Smith
Banned User

This is another one of Zimmer's greatest works, IMO, and a fantastic favorite of mine:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Also, and I know I'm missing a lot of his other great pieces due to time constraints, but John WIlliam's Home Alone soundtrack is also absoultely fantastic. Everything the man touches is GOLD.

Kevin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote