Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men Sequels & Spin-Offs

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #226
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Default Re: FOX Shared Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
How many times have you really had to grab a Thor book to finish an X-Men story? The major crossover's are usually self contained in a limited run or withtin the characters own world since theres like 20 X Books. I can understand those events taking away from the current focus of the individual books. But even with something like AvsX you didn't need to pick up Iron Man, Avengers, Thor or Cap to understand what was going on.

Fair enough.
Plenty of times.

Mutant Massacre involved Thor, and I believe Fantastic Four, and a bunch of other Marvel titles. Like... I don't care about Thor's story arc, I'm trying to read an X-Men story.

One of my favorite Gambit storyarcs has an X-Men / Ghost Rider crossover.

Civil War and Fear Itself are obviously full on Marvel crossovers.

Wolverine is an Avenger, and his first appearance was in Hulk. Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are Avengers. That's some things off the top of my head, and I'm sure if I went through my comics collection, I'd find a lot more.

And like I said, I'm not a fan of it. I know most comic book fans love the Marvel Shared Universe, but I don't. I like keeping different fiction universes separate, and not incorporating them into each other.

While that makes me an uncommon sort of comic book fan, I also consider myself more of an X-Men fan than I am a comic book fan.

Old 09-07-2013, 06:57 PM   #227
def28
Side-Kick

That's hardly alot that's forcing you to specifically by Thor titles for X-Men only stories, I understand not liking some of the extremes or when it's force fed but like you said some of these X-Men were introduced in Avenger titles like Wolverine in Hulk. Rogues first appearance was in Avengers and she has strong ties to Ms Marvel. If it wasn't for some of these crossover overs or shared Universe we wouldn't have some of the stories or characters we do. Alot of positives come out of it in the end. Can't discredit that stuff.

Last edited by def28; 09-07-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:59 PM   #228
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
That's hardly alot, I understand not liking some of the extremes or when it's force fed but like you said even saying some of these X-Men were introduced in Avenger titles like Wolverine in Hulk. Rogues first appearance was in Avengers and she has strong ties to Ms Marvel. If it wasn't for some of these crossover overs or shared Universe we wouldn't have some of the stories we do.
That's just the ones I could think of off the top of my head.

Like I said, I'm sure there are more.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:30 PM   #229
Dasher10
Has a Full Netflix Queue

Is it just me or will some of the X-Men need to be recast in the near future? Famke is already way too old for Jean and I feel that Hugh, James and Halle only have one more film after DOFP in them.

Ashmore, Page, Cudmore and Paquin are still young enough to do sequels but nobody wants to see a 50+ Wolverine, Cyclops, Phoenix and Storm.

Old 09-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #230
Angamb
Banned User

I think Hugh, James and Halle will look fine in three years.

Waiting another 3 more years for another sequels is another story, for sure.

But yeah, I see at least one more movie for them. And it will be fine to me, as long as most of the cast is back, and with most I mean around 10-11 actors.

Old 09-08-2013, 07:55 PM   #231
def28
Side-Kick

Jackman proved he is getting better as Wolverine with age. Looks more like him now too imo. So I have no problem there.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #232
psylockolussus
X-Men ♥ Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher10 View Post
Is it just me or will some of the X-Men need to be recast in the near future? Famke is already way too old for Jean and I feel that Hugh, James and Halle only have one more film after DOFP in them.

Ashmore, Page, Cudmore and Paquin are still young enough to do sequels but nobody wants to see a 50+ Wolverine, Cyclops, Phoenix and Storm.
They aren't planning to resurrect Jean anytime soon, why recast Jean? They even brought her back in The Wolverine and she looked good for her age. Famke will always be Jean Grey.

And as for Hugh, James and Halle, they look good for age. Age-wise, they are definitely better-looking than Daniel Craig (James Bond) and Robert Downey Jr (Iron Man).

PSYLOCKE WILL RETURN IN X-MEN RI5E
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 09-11-2013, 10:22 AM   #233
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
Jackman proved he is getting better as Wolverine with age. Looks more like him now too imo. So I have no problem there.
and for James case, the more mature he gets, the more mature and badass Cyclops we could get.

So its pretty fine.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:40 PM   #234
Green Goblin
Re-Reboot!

I thought DOFP was going to reboot the continuity?

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Goodbye Andrew Garfield,the best Spider-Man that ever was or ever will be
Old 09-11-2013, 03:38 PM   #235
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Nope.

Bryan Singer has mentioned that while there may be changes, he is respecting the continuity.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:16 PM   #236
psylockolussus
X-Men ♥ Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Goblin View Post
No one officially said that.

It was just an assumption from fans.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #237
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Goblin View Post
Time Travel to stop a dead end future plus Singer confirming fixing things lead that being possible. We all know next to nothing, but it's a possibility.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:18 PM   #238
MakeMinesMarvel
Child of the Atom

Old 02-19-2015, 08:38 PM   #239
Zarex
Side-Kick

Marvel has been crossing over characters since 2008, leading to the first superhero mash up in 2012. DC is crossing over their most iconic characters next year.

FOX has held these licensing agreements since the 90s. What exactly do you think they are waiting for?

Old 02-19-2015, 09:04 PM   #240
x-er
Side-Kick

Fox doesn't really know what it has.

After all these years, the X-Men are still American, white and male, as many fans point out. But it shouldn't be. It should be a global and inclusive franchise.

This is what we get:
  • Americanized world characters (Storm, Colossus, Pyro,etc. as American characters)
  • Minorities pushed aside, with small roles and early deaths (Asian Blink, Black Bishop, Native American Warpath and Latin American Sunspot, first to die in DOFP).
  • Women are weak (Rogue), confused (Mystique in DOFP), voiceless and sexualized (Emma Frost), or violent leaders (Storm in X3) and are often second to the white males (See for example DOFP's scene where the X-Men arrive in France to save the day, all white men).

That's not what the source material is like.

And Marvel knows this. So it's no surprise that they're trying to take over that niche, since it's literally empty. They're making the very first female superhero film soon with Captain Marvel and it's going to be groundbreaking. Soon they'll have Asian, Black, Latino, and gay heroes as well and Fox won't realize they had a gold mine to work with, just as they never thought about a shared universe until Marvel achieved theirs. It's like the saying goes, you never know what you have until it's gone.

Last edited by x-er; 02-19-2015 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:48 PM   #241
random_havoc
Last Remaining Sentry Fan

You hit the nail on the head x-er. That's why I support any hard tactic Marvel uses to pressure Fox into giving any of their properties back to them. Fox has proven they're simply not as competent with what they have as they should be. They've given us good to terrible films. Marvel has broken the mould in outstanding ways.

Old 02-20-2015, 02:17 AM   #242
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

I don't think fox are as into the whole shared univere idea as say marvel or WB is

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 02-20-2015 at 02:26 AM.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:26 AM   #243
Krak66
Side-Kick

I do not see any sense to bring X-men and FF in one movie. If only for fanboys but ordinary moviegoer does not give a crap

Old 02-20-2015, 04:29 AM   #244
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

the thing about the X-Men is that unlike the MCU which is about a bunch of super heroes coming together to save the day the X-Men universe is that already... mutants with different super powers so adding the fantastic 4 to that won't have the same appeal

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 02-20-2015 at 08:22 AM.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:01 AM   #245
JEM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
Marvel has been crossing over characters since 2008, leading to the first superhero mash up in 2012. DC is crossing over their most iconic characters next year.

FOX has held these licensing agreements since the 90s. What exactly do you think they are waiting for?
DOFP
I am not a big fan of Devin Faraci but he has point here :
Quote:
That intrigues me. Fox has been really lackadaisical about building a universe with the X-Men movies, boning even continuity between the main series and X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Now they've retconned all those issues with some time travel fun and they have a clean(ish) slate with which to work - and with which to plan.
( Thank X3 and XO ) You have to fix your universe before expand it. X Men Apocalypse, Gambit, Deapool and maybe X force are the new phase. If they works, we could see New Mutant, Starjammers or others solo movie.

Last edited by JEM; 02-20-2015 at 07:13 AM.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:31 AM   #246
Lip
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-er View Post

After all these years, the X-Men are still American, white and male, as many fans point out. But it shouldn't be. It should be a global and inclusive franchise.

This is what we get:
  • Americanized world characters (Storm, Colossus, Pyro,etc. as American characters)
  • Minorities pushed aside, with small roles and early deaths (Asian Blink, Black Bishop, Native American Warpath and Latin American Sunspot, first to die in DOFP).
  • Women are weak (Rogue), confused (Mystique in DOFP), voiceless and sexualized (Emma Frost), or violent leaders (Storm in X3) and are often second to the white males (See for example DOFP's scene where the X-Men arrive in France to save the day, all white men).

And Marvel knows this. So it's no surprise that they're trying to take over that niche, since it's literally empty. They're making the very first female superhero film soon with Captain Marvel and it's going to be groundbreaking. Soon they'll have Asian, Black, Latino, and gay heroes as well and Fox won't realize they had a gold mine to work with, just as they never thought about a shared universe until Marvel achieved theirs. It's like the saying goes, you never know what you have until it's gone.

You said everything.

About voiceless and sexualized you forgot the OT Mystique, who also was there receiving orders from her man, Magneto.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:50 AM   #247
CyclopsWasRight
Ate some Bananas

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-er View Post

This is what we get:

X-Men on screen is far more diverse than Marvel. All of Marvels are American white males as the leads aside from THOR who is Asgardian with the only main female hero as a white female americanised Russian.

Right from the start X-Men have had an African American female, white American male, white American female and Canadian white male and were lead by an English disabled man. The villain was a pole Jew and his henchmen yellow and English, blue and American and Canadian and white the sequel added a German mutant an Asian villainess and on and on.

Marvel is ten films in and have only had one main hero who isn't a white American male. Minorities have all been sidekicks. Even in Guardians Starlord the White American male was the lead and the one to get the most screen time and attention.

In X-Men There's been Canadian, American, English, Japanese, German, Polish, South American. Marvel have only had American, Russian and German

Your Women are Weak arguement ignores the badass Mystique from the OT, Deathstryke, Jean, Yukio, and Blink.and denigrates ones like Storm for using violence

Marvel arent making the first female superhero movie. WB did that with Supergirl then Fox with Elektra

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_havoc View Post
Fox has proven they're simply not as competent with what they have as they should be. They've given us good to terrible films.
Every X-Men movie but one is over 80% on RT

Blade X-Men Spider-Man Blade 2 X-Men 2 HULK Spider-Man 2 Iron Man X-Men First Class Thor Captain America: The First Avenger The Amazing Spider-Man The Wolverine X-Men Days of Future Past Guardians of the Galaxy

Last edited by CyclopsWasRight; 02-20-2015 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:04 AM   #248
psylockolussus
X-Men ♥ Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krak66 View Post
I do not see any sense to bring X-men and FF in one movie. If only for fanboys but ordinary moviegoer does not give a crap
Of course the movie goers would give a crap! ItsX-Men with another superhero Marvel team!

Also it could be the highest grossing film with the Fantastic Four.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:15 AM   #249
x-er
Side-Kick

I agree, but arguing that the X-Men are diverse is misleading when Fox portrays white males heroically and several minorities in flawed, helpless, and villanous ways.

Marvel is planning to show world audiences the first minority heroes, way ahead of Fox, with Agent Carter, Captain Marvel, Black Panther.... And I'm neither in favor of Fox nor Marvel here. I just think it's regrettable for Fox because the X-Men are my heroes. They're the ones I look up to, but they haven't put them on screen yet.

Last edited by x-er; 02-20-2015 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:22 AM   #250
Flint Marko
#BringSpideyHome

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
Every X-Men movie but one is over 80% on RT
Again, you are apparently not including both Wolverine films, or any of Fox's other Marvel adaptions.
Their RT average is a 57%. That is not good. You can't just ignore what does and does not fit your argument.

Last edited by Flint Marko; 02-20-2015 at 10:28 AM.
Closed Thread