The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

View Poll Results: Who's the best choice to be Ms. Marvel?
Kristen Bell 4 6.67%
Abbie Cornish 14 23.33%
Katee Sackhoff 39 65.00%
Maggie Grace 3 5.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 05:41 AM   #201
Silvermoth
Avenger
 
Silvermoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 7,028
Default Re: Who should play Ms. Marvel if she gets her own film?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
The helmet is really what drove the eye sore home.

That costume is perfect it's just the hair that's the problem. They've changed that now and she looks amazing

Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #202
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 12,047
Default Re: Who should play Ms. Marvel if she gets her own film?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
That costume is perfect it's just the hair that's the problem. They've changed that now and she looks amazing
She'd look "amazing" in that get-up in 1953. In 2013? Not so much. The helmet/cowlmet/maskmet looks retro-awful, with or without a goofy mohawk sticking out of it.

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #203
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant
 
pr0xyt0xin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 5,093
Default Re: Who should play Ms. Marvel if she gets her own film?

A little late on this rumor but I think Katee Sackhoff would be just peachy as Ms. Marvel. She appears pretty and tough. She was about the only thing i liked about Battlestar Galactica.

And I don't think the film equivalent of her costume yet exists in comics. At least not what I would picture. It can have ties to either the black costume or the red/blue starburst costume. But drastic changes would need to be done imo.

pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #204
Loki882
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 11,441
Default Re: Who should play Ms. Marvel if she gets her own film?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
She'd look "amazing" in that get-up in 1953. In 2013? Not so much. The helmet/cowlmet/maskmet looks retro-awful, with or without a goofy mohawk sticking out of it.
No, the costume looks fantastic to me, and it fits her character and military background. I don't get how it looks like it should be in 1953, that makes no sense. It certainly more appropriate than a swimsuit and hooker boots. I would say get rid of the mask, its not needed. She looks good with short hair, so keep that, but let it be free flowing and not up in a fauxhawk.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #205
Upset Spideyfan
Look on the bright side
 
Upset Spideyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 11,869
Default Re: Who should play Ms. Marvel if she gets her own film?

There's something so generic about that costume that really gets me down about it. It looks like it could belong to any hero, if you hadn't told me it was Miss Marvel I would never have guessed. I know its a take off of the original Captain Marvel's outfit but I never thought much of that one either. The look is just dull and uninteresting to me.

Trying to adapt her black, gold and red (her iconic) suit is a much better avenue to take imo. The Tron designs on the previous page I think made a case that the suit could be made to look more space military while still retaining what works about that outfit.

__________________
Cass: Where are we going?
The Doctor: Back of the ship.
Cass
: Why?
The Doctor
: Because the front crashes first. Think it through.

Last edited by Upset Spideyfan; 09-10-2013 at 03:05 PM.
Upset Spideyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #206
marcvader
Lurker #1
SHH! Moderator
 
marcvader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The MIA
Posts: 10,631
Default Re: Who should play Ms. Marvel if she gets her own film?

The new costume sucks. It looks like some college marching band/color guard uniform. All she needs is a baton.

__________________
* * *CAPTAIN AMERICA* * *
******THE WINTER SOLDIER******
__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
GO PHINS
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:27 PM   #207
jaymes_e06
TRINITY
 
jaymes_e06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Indiana unfortunately....
Posts: 15,409
Default Re: Who should play Ms. Marvel if she gets her own film?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
No, the costume looks fantastic to me, and it fits her character and military background. I don't get how it looks like it should be in 1953, that makes no sense. It certainly more appropriate than a swimsuit and hooker boots. I would say get rid of the mask, its not needed. She looks good with short hair, so keep that, but let it be free flowing and not up in a fauxhawk.
It looks way to generic like I could go into a costume shop and they would have had that same thing for years before she ever wore it in the comics.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
Holy s***, Jennifer Lawrence. How many f***ing nude pictures do you have? Every new fappening, there's like 30 more pictures.

:o
jaymes_e06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:55 PM   #208
metaphysician
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,853
Default Re: Who should play Ms. Marvel if she gets her own film?

I still say the best costume idea? Take the suits from Pacific Rim, modify them a bit to say "pilot" more, and then add the sunburst icon as a unit patch or similar. Bam, you have "space pilot uniform" than easily becomes a superhero outfit.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:39 PM   #209
DrCosmic
Professor of Power
 
DrCosmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: In the Moment
Posts: 6,344
Default Re: Who should play Ms. Marvel if she gets her own film?

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
I still say the best costume idea? Take the suits from Pacific Rim, modify them a bit to say "pilot" more, and then add the sunburst icon as a unit patch or similar. Bam, you have "space pilot uniform" than easily becomes a superhero outfit.
That actually is the strongest idea. It fits the story, changes the silhouette, it works.



If she were a solo hero in a vacuum without having comparisons or being integrated into other films, I'd say go with the current comics costume, but it really seems like a bad idea to me now.

An artist integrated Monica costume with Mar-Vell's original, the one that makes him stand out as unique and not a generic superhero, the one that's updated in the Ultimate Universe as well as in Earth's Mightiest Heroes. I thought it was interesting:


__________________
WW TV Show Ideas - X-Men TV Show Ideas -
With a Ph.D in Metascience
"Sufficiently understood magic is indistinguishable from science."

Last edited by DrCosmic; 09-10-2013 at 08:50 PM.
DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:24 PM   #210
Loki882
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 11,441
Default Re: Who should play Ms. Marvel if she gets her own film?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upset Spideyfan View Post
There's something so generic about that costume that really gets me down about it. It looks like it could belong to any hero, if you hadn't told me it was Miss Marvel I would never have guessed. I know its a take off of the original Captain Marvel's outfit but I never thought much of that one either. The look is just dull and uninteresting to me.

Trying to adapt her black, gold and red (her iconic) suit is a much better avenue to take imo. The Tron designs on the previous page I think made a case that the suit could be made to look more space military while still retaining what works about that outfit.
How is it generic, I hear that word thrown around, but no one gives specific reasons WHY it's generic? Also, that costumes generic, but one that's simply black and gold isn't, riiight that's not "generic" at all. I hate the "iconic" argument with a passion. Just because something is allegedly "iconic" doesn't mean that it will work in a movie. If the only argument for a particular costume is that "it's iconic" then that argument was weak to begin with. Carol should not be standing alongside Iron Man, Thor, BW, etc wearing a swimsuit and hooker boots, that's not fair to the character.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:10 PM   #211
OnTheAir
Papa Spank
SHH! Moderator
 
OnTheAir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Springfield, MA
Posts: 2,870
Default Re: Who should play Ms. Marvel if she gets her own film?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
Well, I was kinda assuming it would be made of different materials considering the helmet would otherwise make it look top-heavy material-wise in real-life. For me, a live-action adaptation of that would look very different from a (fairly cheap-looking, imo) SHIELD body suit. Kinda like this:



Or some other kind of unique, more "alien-like" material.

At any rate, it makes more sense to me for Carol to have a costume reminiscent of theirs than anyone else, since she started out as a military woman like them herself.
I like this a lot, personally.

__________________
"THAT'S WHAT I DO!!!"

"There are...no strings...on me..."
OnTheAir is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:13 PM   #212
Upset Spideyfan
Look on the bright side
 
Upset Spideyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 11,869
Default Re: Who should play Ms. Marvel if she gets her own film?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
How is it generic, I hear that word thrown around, but no one gives specific reasons WHY it's generic? Also, that costumes generic, but one that's simply black and gold isn't, riiight that's not "generic" at all. I hate the "iconic" argument with a passion. Just because something is allegedly "iconic" doesn't mean that it will work in a movie. If the only argument for a particular costume is that "it's iconic" then that argument was weak to begin with. Carol should not be standing alongside Iron Man, Thor, BW, etc wearing a swimsuit and hooker boots, that's not fair to the character.
It looks like a second-rate cross between Cap and Bucky with touches of Superman. There's nothing compelling or visually distinctive about it. A good hero costume should stand out even among a crowd of superheroes, this one doesn't do that. Its a costume that screams "hello I am a C-lister at best." On top of all that its a hand-me-down look from Captain Marvel rather than something that represents Carol herself.

And the costume I posted a page back showed no skin save for her face so I don't know where you're getting that I'm arguing for the swimsuit from.

__________________
Cass: Where are we going?
The Doctor: Back of the ship.
Cass
: Why?
The Doctor
: Because the front crashes first. Think it through.

Last edited by Upset Spideyfan; 09-10-2013 at 11:44 PM.
Upset Spideyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:30 PM   #213
DrCosmic
Professor of Power
 
DrCosmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: In the Moment
Posts: 6,344
Default Re: Who should play Ms. Marvel if she gets her own film?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
How is it generic, I hear that word thrown around, but no one gives specific reasons WHY it's generic? Also, that costumes generic, but one that's simply black and gold isn't, riiight that's not "generic" at all. I hate the "iconic" argument with a passion. Just because something is allegedly "iconic" doesn't mean that it will work in a movie. If the only argument for a particular costume is that "it's iconic" then that argument was weak to begin with. Carol should not be standing alongside Iron Man, Thor, BW, etc wearing a swimsuit and hooker boots, that's not fair to the character.
It's generic because:
- Red and Blue Color scheme is common amongst superheroes, most famously Superman, but certainly many others, including Spider-Man and teammate Captain America.
- Skintight bodysuit with big knee high boots and big elbow length gloves is extremely common amongst superheroes.
- In many renditions, the starburst is minimized, downplaying one of the only two unique and potentially iconic elements
- Many superheroes who use this classic silver age silhouette distinguish themselves by a prominent, unique immediately identifiable symbol, or a unique color scheme, or acknowledge the costume is generic in story. The current comics costume does none of these. It desires to create this sort of retroactively iconic look, and that kind of thing works well in comics, but very much sabotages the idea of the character being interesting and unique enough by their own merit to carry a movie.
- The sash is unique, and iconic, but that's it, so the costume overall seems generic
- While her costume may fit in with DC where almost every major superhero wears a recolor of the same skin tight setup, in Marvel, particularly in the MCU where you these four guys, one a hulking monster, the other in metal armor, the other in embellished fantasy armor, a guy with a big shield and oversized comically unused utility belt, a guy with sleeveless who's always holding his bow... and two women in skintight suits? That's why it is generic, because it has so little unique about it, while still having a lot in common with other superheroes, as opposed to having a bold uniqueness in common with Marvel's best characters.
- It also works for the book because the theme of the story is proving that she's a good enough superhero. Since superhero doesn't equate with silver age costumes in the MCU, the costume takes away from the story of the movie instead of complimenting it.
- Keep in mind Mar-Vell's classic costume, for which her current costume is based off of, is also intentionally generic, and every modern adaptation of Mar-Vell bases off of his Green and White original costume, with an armor upgrade.

Is anyone actually arguing for the stripper boots and swimsuit? If so, who, exactly? I think that's just a made up strawman.

__________________
WW TV Show Ideas - X-Men TV Show Ideas -
With a Ph.D in Metascience
"Sufficiently understood magic is indistinguishable from science."

Last edited by DrCosmic; 09-10-2013 at 11:35 PM.
DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:20 AM   #214
jaymes_e06
TRINITY
 
jaymes_e06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Indiana unfortunately....
Posts: 15,409
Default Re: Who should play Ms. Marvel if she gets her own film?

Everything DrCosmic said and also who is saying she needs to b in hooker boots? I've shown that I like the "Tron" interpretation of her iconic suit. Literally no one even mentioned it needing to be the swim suit.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
Holy s***, Jennifer Lawrence. How many f***ing nude pictures do you have? Every new fappening, there's like 30 more pictures.

:o
jaymes_e06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:47 AM   #215
Human Torch
The Boss in Blue
 
Human Torch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 8,986
Default Re: Who should play Ms. Marvel if she gets her own film?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
It's generic because:
- Red and Blue Color scheme is common amongst superheroes, most famously Superman, but certainly many others, including Spider-Man and teammate Captain America.
- Skintight bodysuit with big knee high boots and big elbow length gloves is extremely common amongst superheroes.
- In many renditions, the starburst is minimized, downplaying one of the only two unique and potentially iconic elements
- Many superheroes who use this classic silver age silhouette distinguish themselves by a prominent, unique immediately identifiable symbol, or a unique color scheme, or acknowledge the costume is generic in story. The current comics costume does none of these. It desires to create this sort of retroactively iconic look, and that kind of thing works well in comics, but very much sabotages the idea of the character being interesting and unique enough by their own merit to carry a movie.
- The sash is unique, and iconic, but that's it, so the costume overall seems generic
- While her costume may fit in with DC where almost every major superhero wears a recolor of the same skin tight setup, in Marvel, particularly in the MCU where you these four guys, one a hulking monster, the other in metal armor, the other in embellished fantasy armor, a guy with a big shield and oversized comically unused utility belt, a guy with sleeveless who's always holding his bow... and two women in skintight suits? That's why it is generic, because it has so little unique about it, while still having a lot in common with other superheroes, as opposed to having a bold uniqueness in common with Marvel's best characters.
- It also works for the book because the theme of the story is proving that she's a good enough superhero. Since superhero doesn't equate with silver age costumes in the MCU, the costume takes away from the story of the movie instead of complimenting it.
- Keep in mind Mar-Vell's classic costume, for which her current costume is based off of, is also intentionally generic, and every modern adaptation of Mar-Vell bases off of his Green and White original costume, with an armor upgrade.

Is anyone actually arguing for the stripper boots and swimsuit? If so, who, exactly? I think that's just a made up strawman.


Granted,I'm saying go with knee boots,but still,her iconic look can still be done reasonably.

It's less garish than trying to glam up a generic catsuit.

__________________
We always need to hear Both Sides of the story.

We are T. H. E. M.
Human Torch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:48 AM   #216
Human Torch
The Boss in Blue
 
Human Torch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 8,986
Default Re: Who should play Ms. Marvel if she gets her own film?

BTW,no way to Katee Sackhoff.

__________________
We always need to hear Both Sides of the story.

We are T. H. E. M.
Human Torch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:23 AM   #217
Upset Spideyfan
Look on the bright side
 
Upset Spideyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 11,869
Default Re: Who should play Ms. Marvel if she gets her own film?



She's got the swagger and presence I associate with Carol and she's shown she's got the chops to pull of a brash cocky pilot on BSG, I'm all for it.

__________________
Cass: Where are we going?
The Doctor: Back of the ship.
Cass
: Why?
The Doctor
: Because the front crashes first. Think it through.
Upset Spideyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:43 AM   #218
DrCosmic
Professor of Power
 
DrCosmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: In the Moment
Posts: 6,344
Default Re: Who should play Ms. Marvel if she gets her own film?

I think if they plan on having Carol float between Avengers, GoTG and Agents of SHIELD, Katee Sackhoff is almost ideal. Yvonne Strahovski would be too, but Katee Sachoff is a solid, solid choice.

__________________
WW TV Show Ideas - X-Men TV Show Ideas -
With a Ph.D in Metascience
"Sufficiently understood magic is indistinguishable from science."
DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #219
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 12,047
Default Re: Who should play Ms. Marvel if she gets her own film?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
I think if they plan on having Carol float between Avengers, GoTG and Agents of SHIELD, Katee Sackhoff is almost ideal. Yvonne Strahovski would be too, but Katee Sachoff is a solid, solid choice.
I'd still love to see a hottie like Yvonne in the role, of course, but Marvel could make something of a positive statement on the age-old issue of sexism in comics by giving the nod to Sackhoff. No offense to Katee or her fans, but she ain't exactly a supermodel. What she *is,* is a believable, strong, kick-ass-and-take-names kind of woman. Ms/Captain Marvel could benefit from being portrayed as caring more about how to win a fight than whether or not her makeup looks good.

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:47 PM   #220
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang
 
KangConquers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 6,863
Default Re: Who should play Ms. Marvel if she gets her own film?

Katee is perfect in that she's got that tomboy who can put on a dress and heels and stun feel to her. I always figured Carol was supposed to be that way, even though she's often just drawn as kind of a Barbie.

KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:30 PM   #221
Red Mask
Human Killing Machine
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 10,135
Default Re: Who should play Ms. Marvel if she gets her own film?

I've been doing my own redesigns of Capt. Marvel's helmet. But I think this is more of the direction I want to take:


__________________
The swordsmanship's first achievement is the unity of man and sword. Once this unity is attained even a blade of grass can be a weapon.

The second achievement is when the sword exists in one's heart. When absent from one's hand one can strike an enemy at paces
even with bare hands.

Swordsmanship's ultimate achievement is the absence of the sword in both hand and heart. The swordsman is at peace with the rest of the world. He vows not to kill.
Red Mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #222
marcvader
Lurker #1
SHH! Moderator
 
marcvader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The MIA
Posts: 10,631
Default Re: Who should play Ms. Marvel if she gets her own film?

Is that Allison Mack?

__________________
* * *CAPTAIN AMERICA* * *
******THE WINTER SOLDIER******
__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
GO PHINS
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:13 AM   #223
Red Mask
Human Killing Machine
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 10,135
Default Re: Who should play Ms. Marvel if she gets her own film?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvader View Post
Is that Allison Mack?
Yep.

__________________
The swordsmanship's first achievement is the unity of man and sword. Once this unity is attained even a blade of grass can be a weapon.

The second achievement is when the sword exists in one's heart. When absent from one's hand one can strike an enemy at paces
even with bare hands.

Swordsmanship's ultimate achievement is the absence of the sword in both hand and heart. The swordsman is at peace with the rest of the world. He vows not to kill.
Red Mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:15 AM   #224
Red Mask
Human Killing Machine
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 10,135
Default Re: Who should play Ms. Marvel if she gets her own film?

Somebody really thinks Yvonne Strahovski should play Ms. Marvel.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

__________________
The swordsmanship's first achievement is the unity of man and sword. Once this unity is attained even a blade of grass can be a weapon.

The second achievement is when the sword exists in one's heart. When absent from one's hand one can strike an enemy at paces
even with bare hands.

Swordsmanship's ultimate achievement is the absence of the sword in both hand and heart. The swordsman is at peace with the rest of the world. He vows not to kill.
Red Mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:59 PM   #225
Loki882
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 11,441
Default Re: Who should play Ms. Marvel if she gets her own film?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upset Spideyfan View Post
It looks like a second-rate cross between Cap and Bucky with touches of Superman. There's nothing compelling or visually distinctive about it. A good hero costume should stand out even among a crowd of superheroes, this one doesn't do that. Its a costume that screams "hello I am a C-lister at best." On top of all that its a hand-me-down look from Captain Marvel rather than something that represents Carol herself.

And the costume I posted a page back showed no skin save for her face so I don't know where you're getting that I'm arguing for the swimsuit from.
Really, I think that it's the best costume that she's ever had and it makes her look awesome. A costume that's black and gold is very generic too me, even if you remove the boots, it just looks boring. But you and I are never going to agree on this, so lets just move on.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:45 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.