Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 05:07 PM   #951
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Default Re: Let The Claws Do The Talking - Rate & Review "The Wolverine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin-Hoss View Post
Rila was definitely one of the highlights of the movie.Kinda funny when you look back just a few months ago, when they first released the images, most of the reaction from fanboys were pretty much negative...they didn't like the way she looks and were sure the movie gonna suck because of it. Now, almost everybody is praising her!

...Funny how things turns out...
Yep, before the movie came out all i could see was her funny-shaped head!

Old 08-16-2013, 06:19 PM   #952
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

She kinda reminds me of that girl from Smallville...forgot her name. Back then, everybody keep mentioning her...distinctive look...

Old 08-17-2013, 12:23 AM   #953
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumcat View Post
Yes! I had collected them in a post sometime ago.
just so you know, there aren't posters.

Just production stills.

"Will you control that power or let it control you?" - X3
"Is the future truly set?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 08-17-2013, 04:19 AM   #954
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
just so you know, there aren't posters.

Just production stills.
They have the movie's name on them and a promotional critics quote, that sure has hell makes it a poster for me and many other people and these were reported in the media as such.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:45 PM   #955
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumcat View Post
They have the movie's name on them and a promotional critics quote, that sure has hell makes it a poster for me and many other people and these were reported in the media as such.
Lol no. So you call the official website, a poster too?

Here are the official posters for the movie:
http://www.impawards.com/2013/wolverine_ver4.html

Old 08-17-2013, 10:59 PM   #956
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator

Oy, what's the big deal? You want to call them posters, call them posters. I don't see the problem.

Old 08-18-2013, 04:33 AM   #957
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Yeah its a semantic thing purely.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:02 PM   #958
Dead Man Dann
The Failed Experiment

The more I think of it, the more I like The Wolverine. A lot. It's not how I envision the "perfect" Wolverine film, but that's virtually always the case with a CBM. It's just more noticeable for me because Logan's my favorite comic book character, so I have my own clear view of what "the" film would be.

Quickie review:
Quieter and more intimate than other superhero fare, The Wolverine's small stakes feel much bigger in a well-constructed world populated with characters we actually care about. While the story doesn't wow in all departments (some twists aren't too twisty), it's quite sharp when it needs to be. Luckily, this film isn't about shocking the audience with a mind-bending twist (When Yashida tells Logan not to look so shocked, is this also directed at the audience?); it's about a broken man who struggles to find a reason to carry on. That's what's important, and most of the film is built around it. 8.5

X2
The Wolverine
X-Men / X-Men: First Class
X-Men: The Last Stand
[Origins doesn't exist]

I want to focus specifically on Logan himself:

This is perhaps Hugh's best Wolvie performance to date-- which is saying a lot. He's just so weathered and soulful. The attitude and rage aren't stronger because there's more of it (though that helps too); it's because it's all driven by something that feels genuine. His anger and frustration comes from a place of guilt, regret, and shame-- an aspect of the character I've always loved in the source material. At the start of the film, he'd made a vow never to hurt anyone-- soon after, he's about to straight-up kill a bunch of people. This is very important in showing Logan's contradictory nature and his man vs animal struggle. He might try to be decent, but he's not always successful. I feel like they've really done a great job depicting Logan as a haunted loner, something Origins completely failed to do.

I also enjoyed how they addressed his powers, which is AGAIN something Origins should have done. I've always been interested in the idea of being practically immortal and the toll it would take, and they did a pretty good job with it. Now, lots of people have complained about Wolvie being too powerful nowadays-- well, luckily, this movie addresses that too, by limiting his powers for much of the film, which adds an urgency that had been missing in other films. I love seeing Logan with his back against the wall instead of the "cool guys don't look at explosions" BS from Origins. While this is a Logan that is technically much weaker than before, he's easily more violent and ruthless, with his body count being quite high. Speaking of which, much of the action is the best of the franchise, because there's a certain gravity to it. It doesn't feel floaty or wire-y. It feels real, visceral, and pretty damn bloody for a PG13-rated movie. And that Shingen fight? Goddamn.

One thing I really want to address is how people perceive the Silver Samurai showdown. I agree that it's more generic and a bit sillier than what had come before, but I think people (maybe critics, mostly) are being way too hard on it. Personally, I don't think it takes too much away from came before it. Sure, there was more CG than before and bla bla bla, but it didn't suddenly become about saving a city or the world. It was still about characters we already knew and cared about. It might bring the film down a little, and I do think it should have been quite different, but does it really "ruin" it?

I just can't believe that people are being so hard on this while First Class, with all its cheese, gets an 88 on RT. Believe me, I like First Class, but it can be quite silly at times, and there are some noticeable issues. FC's villains (Mags isn't a villain, technically) are kinda one-dimensional. Take Shaw-- what the hell makes him redeemable in any way, or at least layered? Nothing. Emma Frost? Might as well have been a table-- would have gotten a better performance. People complain about Viper and her lack of motivation (as do I-- coulda done without her), but at least she had some personality. Again, Frost = table. FC is also filled with so much cheese. Most of the Mystique stuff was honestly quite poorly executed, IMO. Her and Beast's first scene together is kinda cringe-worthy, like when they both say "normal" at the same time. Hell, earlier on when she first sees Beast, the camera zooms in on her face in the most obnoxious way-- like, we get it, she likes him. A little subtlety might be nice. Lotsa camp.

I'm not trying to argue that FC is bad or anything (far from it), but the point is that I feel people are much more forgiving with its issues than with The Wolverine's. Also, in terms of comic book faithfulness, the edge obviously goes to TW, no question.

Really, there's so much more I could talk about. The tone, the style, etc. There's just so much -- good and bad -- but I'll leave it at this.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:43 PM   #959
Steyin
Project Designer, LEED AP

Finally saw this yesterday. Easily the best of all the X films. It felt way more serious and focused than all the others. Good acting, visuals, fight choreography and barely any cheesy dialogue. I was more impressed than I thought I would be.

8.5/10

My LEGO Gallery
Old 08-18-2013, 02:46 PM   #960
Tehmeh
Everybody likes bewbs

Good review, I agree with many points.

I like the feeling I got when I left the theater - even though I was a bit underwhelmed, I knew instantly I wanted to see it again. There was so much good in it to fully appreciate with the first viewing. I also know the ending bothers me less and less as the time goes by - and I think I'm starting to even like it once I've accepted the change in tone.
I also think this is such a quality movie that a couple of things that may seem out of place (change of tone in the end, Viper) stick out more than they would in an average film and will get a lot more critique than "deserved". There isn't much else to really generally dislike.
Japanese actors and the music score were also far better than I originally thought.
Violence is fierce, you can almost feel the aggression. Total opposite of Wolverine's X3 action scenes (in which he just...swings his hands and generic bad guys fall down in a very unsatisfying way).

Definitely buying the blu-ray, really looking forward to see it again many times as well as getting it R-rated. This is the same feeling I have with music and some of my best records: I know I like it, but I know I'll love it if I listen to it a couple more times. Opposite of when I'm disappointed like I was after the Origins movie - not trying to make up excuses or fix the movie in my head because I'm disappointed, no. Already like it, and I'm sure I'll love it. One of those movies that just gets better the more you watch them.

I've been watching the X-men movies again lately, here's my order:

X2
Wolverine
X1
FC
X3
Origins (which, of course, doesn't exist, but if it did something tells me I'd put it last)

Old 08-20-2013, 11:53 AM   #961
OcStat
Side-Kick

^I have similar thoughts and would rank the movies the same.

I finally got to see the film last night and I enjoyed it. I wasn't sure what to expect really, and there were a few bits that might have been underwhelming but all in all, best X-Men film in a long time.

I liked First Class also, but have only seen it once. I should watch it again, but I don't think I could put it above this or X2.

I can say I am eagerly awaiting Days of Future Past!

Old 08-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #962
OcStat
Side-Kick

Whoops, double post.

Last edited by OcStat; 08-23-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:14 AM   #963
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

First Class
X2
The Wolverine
X-Men 1
X-Men 3
Origins Wolverine

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
Old 08-23-2013, 12:14 PM   #964
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

THE WOLVERINE

The X-Men franchise has always been amazing to me. I didn't know much about the characters the first time I saw the first movie, but I was amazed at how they could handle a group of superheroes so well, with a serious tone and still have the skills to make it a good movie that had more than the eye could easily meet. And its subsequent sequels have barely been disappointing. But there are exceptions for everything and precisely X-Men Origins: Wolverine was that exception to this outstanding series. So I was reluctant to see this "The Wolverine" movie since it could easily be another let-down.

Wolverine is immortal, so that gives him enough time to live long exciting adventures and then put them behind and have more of those. Fortunately, director James Mangold develops a more than decent movie that takes itself away from the average superhero movie cliches enough to become a beast on its own. There is a love interest but this time is good and credible, there is action but it only helps the story, there are secondary characters but they are a contribution not just fillers, there is humor but just when it can surprise you and - for once - make you laugh.

Mangold only drops the ball when it's about the villains. Svetlana Khodchenkova as Viper is a major disappointment in every sense. She can't act and she reminds of a more modern version of Uma Thurman's Poison Ivy, with her ridiculous green outfits and her annoying way to behave, feel and talk "mischievous" all the time (at some point she drops her "human skin" threatening us with a sinister monster-looking new version of herself... only to reveal that she looks exactly the same... but bald - ???!!!???). Tao Okamoto (Mariko) and Rila Fukushima (Yukio) are just great and Hugh Jackman... well, he has been this character just so many times he knows exactly what to do.

Now the plot of our hero losing his powers doesn't go too far nor does it explore everything it could (when he's not super-powered bullets seem to harm him... just a little bit more than when he was). His views and future life as a mortal never seem to make an impact on him. But "The Wolverine" plays for fun, it knows when to breath and it's all in all a very well told story with a lot of heart. And the action is always great (even when you get to wonder why there's no blood at all, why it's so easy to get into mob bosses' hideouts or why Viper doesn't throw her venom as soon as she can).

4/5

Last edited by Senator Pleasury; 08-23-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:34 AM   #965
Marvel_SKE
Side-Kick

Finally, "The Wolverine" or "Wolverine: SAMURAI" premiered here in Japan yesterday,
and after watched it...what can i say? I LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've got an emotional attachment for most of the scene
I love how 98% of the movie is in Japan as it should be considering this movie based on Frank Miller's Japan arc

I also love that most Japan character in this movie also spoke Japanese, not like in Elektra...

For the story.....
to be honest, besides of anime version, I'm not familiar enough about Logan's adventure in Japan, but i do think that this movie is somewhat more interesting than the anime. In the anime version, I can't find any logical sense why Logan came to Japan, just to grab Mariko off her fiancee?? I think that's just silly story given. But in the movie version, Logan came to Japan as a guest for the invitation that sent by Yashida (who turned out to be Silver Samurai later on), and from that on, the movie gets more interesting.

WHAT I LOVED:
Hugh Jackman as Logan (along with RDJ as Tony Stark, Jackman also gave his best performance here, I can see his very dedicated work when he's playing Logan here, just loved his performance, and same also with RDJ, I couldn't see other actor replace him as Logan)
Yashida invites Logan just to take his healing factor ability
The chase scene between Logan-Mariko and Yakuza in Shinjuku area
A Temple scene
A Shinkansen fight scene
TAO as Mariko (how can't I realize before that she's this pretty??)
Fukushima Rila as Yukio was also AWESOME!!
Hiroyuki Sanada as Shingen (as i can expected from him, very charismatic as always)
Will Yun Lee as Harada Kenichirou (my only complaint that he was not the one who wore the Silver Samurai armor)
Mariko told Logan to not put chopstick at the top of the rice bowl (I laughed at this scene, because in daily life, my grandmother once told me too this kind of thing when i was a kid ^^)
Logan & Yukio's relationship (though there wasn't any romance between them, but I can see the strong chemistry between them than Logan & Mariko)
Final battle scene between Logan vs Viper, Yukio vs Viper, Logan vs Silver Samurai was GREAT!!!
A Post credit scene that feature Logan, Erik & Charles, and talk about the upcoming danger that brought by...Trask Industries!

I was thrilled and excited when i saw the final 20 minutes of the movie

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE:
Brian Tee as Noboru (at least, in the anime version, Mariko's fiancee (Kurohagi) was far more menacing than this guy)
A forced kiss scene between Mariko & Logan

Overall, "The Wolverine" is the best Fox's Marvel movie
It delivers Big!!!
Indeed, the action scene wasn't as big and had more small scale comparing the other comic book movies, but after The Avengers, after Iron Man 3, after Man of Steel with its big high octane climax action.....I was happy that I've finally got this kind of superhero movie that flow with the straight story, incredible cast, a balance humor, and not too over the top action scene that I can fully enjoy.

Last, for Marvel movies this year,
"The Wolverine" is on the top, Yes, dare I say, for me, it was better than "Iron Man 3"

NEXT: "THOR: THE DARK WORLD"

Last edited by Marvel_SKE; 09-14-2013 at 07:02 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:33 AM   #966
Tehmeh
Everybody likes bewbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel_SKE View Post
Finally, "The Wolverine" or "Wolverine: SAMURAI" premiered here in Japan yesterday,
and after watched it...what can i say? I LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hahaa, I'm happy for you man. I've always wanted to know what japanese people think of this movie, and how they like the japanese elements, including cast.

Do you have any idea how other japanese people liked it? Do you think this movie will be well received?

Old 09-14-2013, 08:57 AM   #967
Marvel_SKE
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehmeh View Post
Hahaa, I'm happy for you man. I've always wanted to know what japanese people think of this movie, and how they like the japanese elements, including cast.

Do you have any idea how other japanese people liked it? Do you think this movie will be well received?

Thanks
Most of my friends liked "The Wolverine" (eventhough they are not Marvel fans, or American Comic Book Superheroes' fans on that matter) but they liked it because i think there are so many talents from Japan getting involved in this movie, and besides Hugh Jackman also gained huge popularity here since Le Miserables' big hit last year....so, no surprise i saw more people watch this movie on the 2nd day today.

I do think It will receive well but i don't know how well comparing to Iron Man 3, which got a huge praised and received very well (when it premiered here, in my theatre, all tickets has sold out in the first 2 days,and i barely got the seat..)

Man of Steel also premiered here last week and it was also very well received, so I guess American Comic Book Movies nowdays has got more and more good welcomed from our audience....it is proved with The Avengers, The Dark Knight Rises, Iron Man 3 and Man of Steel has managed to drawn more audience than Kamen Rider/Super Sentai Movie..which never happened before...

Old 09-14-2013, 09:15 AM   #968
Tehmeh
Everybody likes bewbs

Quote:
Thanks
Most of my friends liked "The Wolverine" (eventhough they are not Marvel fans, or American Comic Book Superheroes' fans on that matter) but they liked it because i think there are so many talents from Japan getting involved in this movie, and besides Hugh Jackman also gained huge popularity here since Le Miserables' big hit last year....so, no surprise i saw more people watch this movie on the 2nd day today.
Thanks for the answer. I was wondering if japanese people think that their country was represented in a cheap or stupid manner (often the case with Hollywood portraying foreign countries), but it seems this isn't necessarily the case with Wolverine. Hah, I didn't even remember the chopstick thing you noticed, seems like a nice touch.

I absolutely loved Fukushima and Okamoto. I knew nothing about them beforehand. And I'm not saying this only because I think they're very beautiful (as many japanese women are in my mind), I really liked how they managed to make me care about their characters. Fukushima was almost too good, she made Yukio a very exciting character and sometimes she drew my attention away from Jackman himself! Hiroyuki Sanada was of course the amazing presence he always is, even though his role wasn't THAT big.

Also, seems like I really need to see Les Miserables.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #969
Marvel_SKE
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehmeh View Post
Thanks for the answer. I was wondering if japanese people think that their country was represented in a cheap or stupid manner (often the case with Hollywood portraying foreign countries), but it seems this isn't necessarily the case with Wolverine. Hah, I didn't even remember the chopstick thing you noticed, seems like a nice touch.

I absolutely loved Fukushima and Okamoto. I knew nothing about them beforehand. And I'm not saying this only because I think they're very beautiful (as many japanese women are in my mind), I really liked how they managed to make me care about their characters. Fukushima was almost too good, she made Yukio a very exciting character and sometimes she drew my attention away from Jackman himself! Hiroyuki Sanada was of course the amazing presence he always is, even though his role wasn't THAT big.

Also, seems like I really need to see Les Miserables.
thanks again for your concern,
There was a talkshow in our local radio a few weeks ago that discussing hollywood movies that used and respected Japan's culture. Recently, it seems that hollywood has made few movies based on Japan's culture (this year, there were Pacific Rim, 47 Ronin, GI Joe, and Wolverine). Before that there were Iwo Jima kara no tegami, Last Samurai)

The point made in that talkshow according to few listeners that this is a good thing, and of course, proud as Japanese.
But also, many people here assumed that the only thing that American people know about Japan were just samurai and ninja...It has become a stereotype, i think..considering that's the aspect that seems to be often portrayed by hollywood.. while in fact, our modern culture aspect has many more than just that.

Back to Wolverine, I can't wait to see it again...I'm planning to watch it again soon...
This movie is the best comic book movie this year, so far.. ( i believe until Thor 2 comes out)

Last edited by Marvel_SKE; 09-15-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:56 PM   #970
Snikt
Side-Kick

Quote:
thanks again for your concern,
There was a talkshow in our local radio a few weeks ago that discussing hollywood movies that used and respected Japan's culture. Recently, it seems that hollywood has made few movies based on Japan's culture (this year, there were Pacific Rim, 47 Ronin, GI Joe, and Wolverine). Before that there were Iwo Jima kara no tegami, Last Samurai)

The point made in that talkshow according to few listeners that this is a good thing, and of course, proud as Japanese.
But also, many people here assumed that the only thing that American people know about Japan were just samurai and ninja...It has become a stereotype, i think..considering that's the aspect that seems to be often portrayed by hollywood.. while in fact, our modern culture aspect has many more than just that.

Back to Wolverine, I can't wait to see it again...I'm planning to watch it again soon...
This movie is the best comic book movie this year, so far.. ( i believe until Thor 2 comes out)
So you thought The Wolverine showed great honor and respect for the Japanese culture without going in stereotypes? That makes very happy as a member of the Amerian audience to know another culture was presented with authenticity and respect.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:24 AM   #971
InnerWarrior
Side-Kick

Wolverine was one of those great super hero films that didn't necessarily feel like a super hero film which makes it all the more awesome!

Old 11-02-2013, 08:52 PM   #972
Senator Pleasury
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnerWarrior View Post
Wolverine was one of those great super hero films that didn't necessarily feel like a super hero film which makes it all the more awesome!
I agree.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #973
Ramsay Snow
Winter's Saviour

Nice film. Loved it.

Old 11-10-2013, 12:52 AM   #974
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

I think it's safe to say that "The Wolverine" is pretty much the comic book film that survived this year from either letting several people down OR from creating such polarizing mixed views on it like Iron Man 3, MOS, and even Thor: TDW did.

Old 11-10-2013, 02:12 AM   #975
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Its obviously the good surprise of the year!

Closed Thread