The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 09-14-2013, 02:23 PM   #51
hafizbat
Side-Kick

Default Re: Batman's fighting style - new Batman, what should his fighting style be like ?

I wholeheartedly agree that the fighting in the Arkham trailers is THE PERFECT REPRESENTATION OF BATMAN'S FIGHTING SKILLS. He's quick, brutal, efficient, displays his martial arts prowess without the unnecessary dance/showing off, shows power, aggressiveness, and agility, seamlessly integrates his gadgets into the combat, and makes it all look easy.

Here are the two full trailers. The first is a great show of Batman taking on a whole group of mercenaries, while the second awesomely shows how Batman would fair against one of the most skilled fighters in the DCU, Deathstroke.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

hafizbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:31 PM   #52
Brother Jack
Onion Knight

Default Re: Batman's fighting style - new Batman, what should his fighting style be like ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Am I the only one who wants to see him go full Ip Man, if he gets attacked by multiple opponents?

I've always wanted to see something like that in a Batman film. Nolan got fairly close to it a few times but it was always obscured by the ways that he cut and shot many of the fight scenes. As far as Batman just standing around and being attacked, it wouldn't and shouldn't be portrayed that like. I'm thinking more of something along the lines of the hammer fight in Oldboy, where it is Batman fully engaging many people at once and overcoming them. But given Snyder's spotty history with fight scenes I seriously doubt that will happen.

For you they call, the swaying mass, their eager faces turning.
Brother Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:43 PM   #53
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyFan866 View Post
Batman's fighting style needs to be quick and fluid, but at the same time aggressive, heavy handed, and methodical, with SEAMLESS integration of his gadgets.

Also, Batman should be able to take on any opponent one-on-one with extreme ease.

Unless its a huge crowd of people running at him at once (in which case he should use a flash bang or some other gadget), or a villain such as Bane, Deathstroke or Ra's, Batman shouldn't have any trouble disposing of a criminal(s). Quick and Easy with extreme, but not fatal, prejudice.

Lastly, Batman needs to be a mute. My BIGGEST issue with all of the post Burton films is that Batman talks TOO DAMN MUCH. Seriously, shut up. Batman does not talk to criminals unless he's interrogating them.

The "I'm not wearing hockey pads" convo in TDK, and His and Robin's back and forth in B & R was SO annoying.

Seriously Batman, just shut up.

The best Batman is one that is silent and plays up the "supernatural" side of the Batman facade and strikes fear.
Really? I see what you mean but that scene doesn't really seem like an example of what you are saying. Batman shows up at the parking garage without saying a word, starts kicking ass, and then says 3 very short and brusque lines to the copy cat vigilantes. All he says is "Don't let me catch you out here again." "I don't need help." and "I'm not wearing hockey pads." He never engages the vigilantes in the substance of what they are talking about. He simply brushes aside their argument with the handwave of "I'm not wearing hockey pads." Despite how much grief that line gets for being a Goyer-ism, I always thought it was perfectly dry and sarcastic and evasive in the manner of BTAS Batman.

Old 09-14-2013, 03:41 PM   #54
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

I love that line. I like a lot of the lines a lot of people here seem to have a problem with.

"Nice coat." Liked it.

"Can you drive stick?" It was stupid and unnecessary, but I don't mind it.

"Excuse me." (I believe he said this to a couple of inmates after he blew open a door in Arkham to get to Scarecrow) It seemed like such a Batman thing to say. It always made me smile.

The Boy Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 04:47 PM   #55
Rocanrol
Psiconautiq

Heavily based Wing-Chun stance and technique, with some MMA. And while being "stealthy", ninjitsu moves!

Old 09-14-2013, 09:11 PM   #56
TheNextNolan22
You are an F** ****

How about this instead of slow-motion?

Stop all this positive thinking. Only negativity is allowed in here.
I know we all should respect everybody's opinion and stuff but if you say that Breaking Bad is overrated then you do not deserve any of my respect.
TheNextNolan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:21 PM   #57
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Forget fighting style for now.

His running style needs to be like Tom Cruise's.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:32 PM   #58
echostation
Banned User

snyder's spotty history with fight scenes? wtf kind of statement is that? Snyder knows how to do action.. period... even in Sucker Punch the fight scenes were fantastic, as they were in Watchmen and 300... Batman will totally kick ass in the film in terms of fight style that much Snyder is guaranteed to do

echostation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:35 PM   #59
TheNextNolan22
You are an F** ****

Quote:
Originally Posted by echostation View Post
snyder's spotty history with fight scenes? wtf kind of statement is that? Snyder knows how to do action.. period... even in Sucker Punch the fight scenes were fantastic, as they were in Watchmen and 300... Batman will totally kick ass in the film in terms of fight style that much Snyder is guaranteed to do
This.

Stop all this positive thinking. Only negativity is allowed in here.
I know we all should respect everybody's opinion and stuff but if you say that Breaking Bad is overrated then you do not deserve any of my respect.
TheNextNolan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:43 PM   #60
antsman41
Darkness... yeah.

I want him to move, like how Neal Adams drew fight/action scenes.

A beastly boxer with the finesse of a gymnast that can disappear/appear like a ghost/ninja.

I • N • T • E • R • S • T • E • L • L • A • R
antsman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:47 PM   #61
Nathan
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

I hope we get some proper bone crunching action. Snyder will obviously do a great job, but I want Batman to be brutal. I want dislocated shoulders, bones snapping, crushed ankles, anything that puts a person down for the count. I've learned that if you deal with life and death situations, and you've got multiple opponents coming after you, you make sure the person you are currently dealing with, doesn't get back up to stab you in the back. If that means pulling his arm in a way that every muscle strand in his shoulder gets ripped to shreds, so be it.

I think this clip is a good example of the brutality I'd like to see.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #62
random_havoc
Last Remaining Sentry Fan

Great thread guys. I agree strongly about basing on the Arkham games, disagree strongly about using any of those showy kung fu punches someone posted that in reality would be barely better than useless

random_havoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:06 AM   #63
DKDetective

Quote:
I hope we get some proper bone crunching action. Snyder will obviously do a great job, but I want Batman to be brutal. I want dislocated shoulders, bones snapping, crushed ankles, anything that puts a person down for the count. I've learned that if you deal with life and death situations, and you've got multiple opponents coming after you, you make sure the person you are currently dealing with, doesn't get back up to stab you in the back. If that means pulling his arm in a way that every muscle strand in his shoulder gets ripped to shreds, so be it.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Agreed. I would like to see a great deal of efficiency and variety to Batman's technique. Joint manipulations are definitely under-utilized on film, especially past Bat-films. Bruce needs to use brutal efficiency in taking out his opponents. That scene from Ip Man does show that idea, but style-wise it seems too choreographed and tournament-y (which makes sense given the scene.) I'd like for Bruce to have a rather non-descript style. It shouldn't look like typical kung fu or karate or what have you. It should look more like a modern defence art used by special forces or what have you.

Old 09-15-2013, 01:09 AM   #64
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Quote:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Dude, totally agree with the comments re Batman's brutality, but disagree with the video, this is why ......it's one of those cliché kung fu fight scenes
in which the bad guys pretty much attack one after the other, while the other ones pose to give the appearance that something is happening.
To me, this is wrong, Batman does not stand there and get attacked,
Nolan got that spot on. Batman attacks from the shadows, by surprise and
when he attacks, he jumps in the middle of a gang and goes on the offensive, none of that "come and get me" stuff. His opponents are pretty much tripping over each other as he misdirects them, uses them as shields all the while tearing them apart.

Batman does not give his enemies time to react, think or even breathe before he drops 'em.

So yes to the brutality, especially bone breaking, joint smashing and groin
kicking (and of course a headbutt that splatters someone's nose), but
disagree that Ip Man is the right source material (great movie, love Donny
Yen, but not for Batman).

NO offence, just my opinion.

Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:28 AM   #65
DKDetective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmannerism View Post
Dude, totally agree with the comments re Batman's brutality, but disagree with the video, this is why ......it's one of those cliché kung fu fight scenes
in which the bad guys pretty much attack one after the other, while the other ones pose to give the appearance that something is happening.
To me, this is wrong, Batman does not stand there and get attacked,
Nolan got that spot on. Batman attacks from the shadows, by surprise and
when he attacks, he jumps in the middle of a gang and goes on the offensive, none of that "come and get me" stuff. His opponents are pretty much tripping over each other as he misdirects them, uses them as shields all the while tearing them apart.

Batman does not give his enemies time to react, think or even breathe before he drops 'em.

So yes to the brutality, especially bone breaking, joint smashing and groin
kicking (and of course a headbutt that splatters someone's nose), but
disagree that Ip Man is the right source material (great movie, love Donny
Yen, but not for Batman).

NO offence, just my opinion.
Very much agree with that. Personally, I think the Bourne films did a very good job at points doing what you are describing. Take this compilation of fight scenes from The Bourne Ultimatum. Bourne is proactive. He goes on the offensive causing his enemies to have to react him, which they do in an uncoordinated fashion and he repeatedly uses them as human shields and/or weapons against their comrades. The second scene in the compilation screams Batman with the way he drops down in the dark right between two enemies and takes advantage of them using surprise.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 09-15-2013, 03:28 AM   #66
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

I really don't care what fighting styles/techniques he will be using, as long as they are well choreographed.
I do like the way he moves in those Arkham trailers though.

I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
gohei_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:22 AM   #67
Bathead
The Oldest Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohei_ View Post
I really don't care what fighting styles/techniques he will be using, as long as they are well choreographed.
I do like the way he moves in those Arkham trailers though.
Indeed. IMO, those are quite likely the best choreographed and most Batman-like fight scenes in any media, even over and above any of the movies (second only to some animated stuff) . Goyer and Snyder (and Affleck too, I suppose) really need to take a look at these.

*splat*
Bathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:52 AM   #68
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Not too fussed on the particular style just as long as it's not the fight style from TDK trilogy. I just want something that actually looks good on screen. Nothing too over the top, but is still visually entertaining.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
The Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:53 AM   #69
Project862006
Banned User

i dont want some wu shu,karate style just be fluid,strong,fast,and pin point accurate

batman shouldn't be doing any round house flying kicks lol

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:54 AM   #70
Nathan

Just to be clear, I'm not saying Batman should fight like Ip Man, I just want him to be a brutal as he was in that clip. Everyone that he put down, stayed down. Just the way he rolled over that one guy, and in the process ****ed up his arm, that's what I want to see. Someone tries to kick Batman and he gets a hold of the leg? Bye, bye leg.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:59 AM   #71
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathead View Post
Indeed. IMO, those are quite likely the best choreographed and most Batman-like fight scenes in any media, even over and above any of the movies (second only to some animated stuff) . Goyer and Snyder (and Affleck too, I suppose) really need to take a look at these.
The funny thing is, I like the simple brutality of TAS (punches and whatnot)

I think Batman should adapt his fighting style to his opponent. Simple moves for simple criminals, more complex moves for more complicated ones, and gadgets for groups. And projectiles for projectiles (batarangs to stop guns and men with throwing knives)

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:17 AM   #72
Project862006
Banned User

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:09 AM   #73
hafizbat
Side-Kick

Apart from the Arkham games, I think The Dark Knight Returns animated movies are the best representation of Batman's fighting prowess. The Mutant Leader fight is brutal and jaw dropping.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

hafizbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 10:14 AM   #74
Nathan

Every encounter with Batman should lead to weeks, even months of hospital stays. Thugs should be so afraid that they basically drop their guns when they know Batman is around.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:41 AM   #75
Paladin-Hoss
Side-Kick

How Batman fight scenes should looks like? well, definitely not like the ones we've got in the Nolan´s movies.

What i woulld love to see when Batman is fighting is something similiar to the Blade Vs Nomak fights from Blade 2.That´s how you do a fight scene!It´s raw...intense..and it showed that the combatants got skills but the fight itself does not looks too choreographed, which in turn, makes the fight looks real...well, aside from the CGI of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hthC84WyJw

Paladin-Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote