The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Comics

Old 09-15-2013, 10:13 PM   #801
Havok83
Side-Kick

Default Re: Official UNCANNY X-MEN Discussion Thread

I came to like some of them but the New X-men kids suck as well. LOL...the way you guys are hating on the Uncanny kids is how I felt about the New X-men. Marvel canned Gen X and quickly replaced them with the New Mutants soon after. I actually got into the New Mutants but then they got rid of half of them and replaced them with the New X-men, or rather had them merge while either getting rid of or killing New Mutant members to make room for them. With the exception of Hellion, that group should have stayed as background characters as he was the only one I thought had lead potential. Then soon after that we got the Young X-men (who flat out sucked), then Gen Hope (who are all irrelevant now) and now we got new kids in Uncanny and over in WaTX. Im over it. Theres definetly been more X-kids created in the 10 years since Gen X then we had X-men in its first 40 years. The numbers been ridiculous and way too many to actually care

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:32 PM   #802
Loki882
Side-Kick

It seems to be in the nature of some fans to hate on anything new. The attitudes of some can be summed up as "these aren't MY X-Kids, so they suck."

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:35 AM   #803
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
I came to like some of them but the New X-men kids suck as well. LOL...the way you guys are hating on the Uncanny kids is how I felt about the New X-men. Marvel canned Gen X and quickly replaced them with the New Mutants soon after. I actually got into the New Mutants but then they got rid of half of them and replaced them with the New X-men, or rather had them merge while either getting rid of or killing New Mutant members to make room for them. With the exception of Hellion, that group should have stayed as background characters as he was the only one I thought had lead potential. Then soon after that we got the Young X-men (who flat out sucked), then Gen Hope (who are all irrelevant now) and now we got new kids in Uncanny and over in WaTX. Im over it. Theres definetly been more X-kids created in the 10 years since Gen X then we had X-men in its first 40 years. The numbers been ridiculous and way too many to actually care
Where are Kyle&Yost when you need them? We need to pack all these new kids on a bus and let some Purifiers go to town with rocket launchers.

Old 09-16-2013, 02:29 AM   #804
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossal Spoons View Post
Where are Kyle&Yost when you need them? We need to pack all these new kids on a bus and let some Purifiers go to town with rocket launchers.
Ladies and gentlemen, behold exhibit A of my above post.

Old 09-16-2013, 05:49 AM   #805
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
They create too many new young mutants and then drop them or shove them off into the background.

You actually grew attached to the Original 5, Giant Sized, New Mutants and Generation X because Marvel spent years focusing on those groups of young X-Men. These days it seems like they will introduce a group of Young X-Men and you are not sure your still going to be reading comics about them in a years time.

I honestly feel Marvel should do post-M Day cap on new mutants joining the X-Men. There are around 30 young X-Men around that they can spend atleast 3 years building stories around and developing.

It doesn't hurt to think long term rather than short term planning things out in comics.

Last edited by chamber-music; 09-16-2013 at 05:53 AM.
chamber-music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:40 AM   #806
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

My problem with X-Men student books isn't that there are so many of them or that they're being ignored, it's that they aren't moving on from being students. THAT'S why they keep getting lost in the shuffle of new characters. When the New Mutants hit issue 100, they left to become X-Force and became their own thing. When Generation X hit issue 75, they disbanded. Chamber became an X-Man, then a member of Weapon X, then a New Warrior, then an X-Man again. Jubilee, Monet, and Husk joined X-Corps. Then Husk and Jubilee joined the X-Men. Monet joined X-Factor and will be joining the X-Men soon. Sadly, Skin died.

Between New Mutants, New X-Men, and Young X-Men... that generation of students ran for 71 issues. Young X-Men 12 came out May 2009... 4 1/2 years ago, and these students are STILL students. Generation Hope came around and has since been mingled with the New X-Men kids. Now we have Jason Aaron's students showing up and mingling with them, and the Uncanny team's mutants.

I was hoping to see the New X-Men kids branch out like the original New Mutants did. I mean, their title was actually selling great before Marvel got relaunch happy and relaunched it as Young X-Men and killed it. Get that team together (Anole, Rockslide, Prodigy, Surge, Dust, Hellion, X-23, Mercury, etc.) and give them their own purpose. Move them on from being students.

But then, that might age their teachers too much

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #807
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

I'll give Bendis a little credit, in that the X-kids he created are at least "serious" with Gold Balls being the only comedic one. Aaron's creations are so bad, it's eyeroll worthy. I didn't think it could get worse than Sammy The Squidboy, but he definitely proved me wrong.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:34 PM   #808
BoredGuy
Killing Time

Hey now, Kid Gladiator and Broo rule, he's made Idie and Quentin fun and tolerable, and I liked that infestation chick in the hellfire academy too
and I'm just waitin for Genesis to do something awesome, but I guess you gotta credit Remender more for that one anyway.

yes, there's Snot and Eye-boy, but they've been punchlines more than anything, they can't all be winners

haven't read Uncanny tho, so I can't really compare 'em

BoredGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:56 PM   #809
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Actually, Broo was created by Christopher Gage in Astonishing X-Men slightly before Schism. Also, Tin Man from the Hellfire Academy was created in the last arc or two of adjectiveless X-Men before it was relaunched.

His only original students are:

Kid Gladiator
Eye Boy
Shark Girl
Sprite
Mud Bug
Snot

And really, the only one of those that I like is Kid Gladiator... and Sprite can grow on me. The rest suck horribly.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 09-16-2013, 12:56 PM   #810
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

Kid Gladiator was indeed awesome. So awesome, they shunted him off the planet

Old 09-16-2013, 12:59 PM   #811
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

But he's showing back up in the Wolverine & the X-Men Annual in a month or two fighting the Infinity fight!

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 09-16-2013, 02:46 PM   #812
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

Awwwww yeah

Old 09-16-2013, 03:55 PM   #813
javi1024
DANGER ZONE!

I don't really mind Eye Boy. Yeah his design is pretty lame like it was designed by a 5 year old, but I kinda liked his powers were he can see magic energy in the air, or how he can "see" into a person's personality by observing their habits and traits.

Nightcrawler: ".....British or Japanese Psylocke?"

PSN ID: Gizmo1024
playing Mass Effect 3, Uncharted 3, Rochard, Super Street Fighter 4
javi1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:55 PM   #814
Loki882
Side-Kick

Broo, QQ, and Idie are cool, and I even kind of like the idea of a Quire/Idie relationship, it could be funny if nothing else. Although, Aaron dressing Idie in that Black Queen outfit (she's like 14) was really squicky.

Old 09-16-2013, 06:57 PM   #815
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

I've never cared for Idie.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 09-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #816
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

She's the new Jubilee so she'll be around for a while I guess. Shoulda been Surge

Old 09-16-2013, 08:42 PM   #817
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
My problem with X-Men student books isn't that there are so many of them or that they're being ignored, it's that they aren't moving on from being students. THAT'S why they keep getting lost in the shuffle of new characters. When the New Mutants hit issue 100, they left to become X-Force and became their own thing. When Generation X hit issue 75, they disbanded. Chamber became an X-Man, then a member of Weapon X, then a New Warrior, then an X-Man again. Jubilee, Monet, and Husk joined X-Corps. Then Husk and Jubilee joined the X-Men. Monet joined X-Factor and will be joining the X-Men soon. Sadly, Skin died.

Between New Mutants, New X-Men, and Young X-Men... that generation of students ran for 71 issues. Young X-Men 12 came out May 2009... 4 1/2 years ago, and these students are STILL students. Generation Hope came around and has since been mingled with the New X-Men kids. Now we have Jason Aaron's students showing up and mingling with them, and the Uncanny team's mutants.

I was hoping to see the New X-Men kids branch out like the original New Mutants did. I mean, their title was actually selling great before Marvel got relaunch happy and relaunched it as Young X-Men and killed it. Get that team together (Anole, Rockslide, Prodigy, Surge, Dust, Hellion, X-23, Mercury, etc.) and give them their own purpose. Move them on from being students.

But then, that might age their teachers too much
those children DID move on to become X-men. When Cyclops set up shop in San Francisco and more son in Utopia, he did away with keeping them as students and declared them all as X-men and we saw them used in the lineups. Whats happened since Schism and later AvX has been a downgrade to have them as students back in the school as most of them have already had a taste of what its like to be an X-men.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossal Spoons View Post
She's the new Jubilee so she'll be around for a while I guess. Shoulda been Surge
Shoulda been Wind Dancer

Old 09-17-2013, 03:09 PM   #818
usagicassidy
Side-Kick

Shoulda been Wallflower :'(

usagicassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:14 PM   #819
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

R.I.P. Quill

Old 09-17-2013, 04:43 PM   #820
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

*pours 40*

Old 09-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #821
OutcryX
Side-Kick

and what about Generation X before the academy x/new x-men/young x-men kids?
Skin(dead), Synch(dead) M, Husk, Jubilee, Chamber, and Penance (not to mention Blink, Mondo, Artie, Leech, the St. Crois twins and Gaia,)

and not to mention a good portion of the original New Mutants disappeared when it was reformatted to X-force..only to come back years later...everything seems to cycle ..when new writers come in that grew up with the younger characters...they will be back

MARVEL COMICS
White-washing the X-Men one minority at a time

-Manic

Last edited by OutcryX; 09-18-2013 at 11:34 AM.
OutcryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:44 PM   #822
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

We're starting to see Generation X more.

Artie and Leech have been hanging with the Fantastic Four (I think... I don't read it)

Monet's been with X-Factor.

Monet and Jubilee are in Woods' X-Men title.

Chamber's been used in X-Men Legacy quite a bit.

Husk has had a semi-important role in Wolverine & the X-Men.

Banshee's (kinda) in Uncanny Avengers.

Emma's still in Uncanny X-Men (unfortunately).

Blink came back and spent a lot of time with the New Mutants until that title ended.

Penance was in the Loners mini and then showed up in minor appearances in Avengers Academy.

Emplate was used in X-Men Legacy a couple years ago.

The only living members of the team who haven't been seen over the past few years are Mondo (who never really joined the team) and Gaia. And I guess Monet's sisters.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 09-17-2013, 05:47 PM   #823
Havok83
Side-Kick

No one cares about Gaia. I vote that she's erased from the record books

Old 09-17-2013, 05:49 PM   #824
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Yeah, I'm cool with that. She was a weird addition to the book.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 09-17-2013, 09:54 PM   #825
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

Y'know, I wasn't reading comics when Gen X was going on. I should go back and check it out.