The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 04:20 AM   #1
Jaxon
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 208
Default The timeline of MoS

Was thinking about the movie's timeline. So Kal-el has been on Earth 33 years or so, meaning the Kryptonian sequence would have occurred sometime around 1980.
Next, Jor-El warns at this time that Krypton may only have a matter of weeks, and given that Lara didn't look to have aged during the planet's destruction I'm going to assumed that Krypton did indeed explode around 1980.
Well the explosion frees Zod. 33 years later he rocks up on Earth seemingly without ageing. So this gets me thinking, why is that?

1) Kryptonians are engineered so perhaps live an unnaturally long life now, therefore meaning the natural birth of Kal-El means he ages at a normal pace.

or

2) Krypton didn't really explode in 1980, it was much later, say 1995 and the phantom zone stopped the ageing process of Zod, coupled with the normally slower ageing of being in space explaining Zod's still relatively unchanged look.

Other than that, I'm out of ideas.

Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:42 AM   #2
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest
 
Llama_Shepherd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 9,588
Default Re: The timeline of MoS

Zod clearly had aged, his hair was seen as to had greyed on Black Zero.

__________________
*\S/T*
"But that's the thing about Batman. Batman thinks of everything."
"There's always a way. When the odds are impossible- do the impossible."
Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:16 AM   #3
Jaxon
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 208
Default Re: The timeline of MoS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
Zod clearly had aged, his hair was seen as to had greyed on Black Zero.
But clearly not by 33 years

Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:36 AM   #4
smallville fan
Hero
 
smallville fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,440
Default Re: The timeline of MoS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
Was thinking about the movie's timeline. So Kal-el has been on Earth 33 years or so, meaning the Kryptonian sequence would have occurred sometime around 1980.
Next, Jor-El warns at this time that Krypton may only have a matter of weeks, and given that Lara didn't look to have aged during the planet's destruction I'm going to assumed that Krypton did indeed explode around 1980.
Well the explosion frees Zod. 33 years later he rocks up on Earth seemingly without ageing. So this gets me thinking, why is that?

1) Kryptonians are engineered so perhaps live an unnaturally long life now, therefore meaning the natural birth of Kal-El means he ages at a normal pace.

or

2) Krypton didn't really explode in 1980, it was much later, say 1995 and the phantom zone stopped the ageing process of Zod, coupled with the normally slower ageing of being in space explaining Zod's still relatively unchanged look.

Other than that, I'm out of ideas.
Maybe they encountered a few yellow suns?

smallville fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #5
kalelvis
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 120
Default Re: The timeline of MoS

They definitely fudged the aging about in he movie. Zod even says that they had searched for Kal for 30 years when they received the beacon from the scout ship. They could have avoided the whole issue if the would have just had Zod and crew awakened on schedule and have it be 20 years after the destruction of Krypton. Not a major issue either way considering they are aliens and who knows if they age like humans either way.

I wish the amount of time that elapsed after we get to Earth was a little clearer. The movie is edited so tightly that it makes it all feel rushed.

kalelvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #6
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant
 
pr0xyt0xin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 4,864
Default Re: The timeline of MoS

I was thinking about this myself. A lot of people complain about the pacing of the film. Which I understand. But if a few things are cleared up, the structure of the movie makes a lot more sense.

So to start, I see the film like acts in a play/novel. Or issues of a comic if you prefer...

Prologue: (0:00 - 20:00) entire Krypton sequence
Act I: (20:01 - 52:20) fishing boat through first flight
Act II: (52:21 - 1:21:05) Lois' investigation through Kal's dream aboard Black Zero
Act III: (1:21:06 - 2:08:45) Escape Black Zero through Zod's death [could be split into two]
Epilogue: (2:08:46 - 2:13:00) "I'm from Kansas" through "Welcome to the Planet"

So after looking at it like that it also helps to point out a probable lapse in time between Zod being sent to the Phantom Zone and Krypton's explosion. My guess is about 4-6 weeks. Or between one and two months, also roughly the time it takes Kal's ship to travel to Earth. Once it explodes, Zod and his crew are reanimated and forced to find a means to escape the phantom zone.

Then theres obviously Act 1 which consists of many flashbacks and shows Clarks road of self-discovery. This takes place over the course of just a few months as he's working his odd jobs, possibly between age 32 and 33.

Act 2 also takes place over the course of several weeks while Lois is doing her investigative reporting with a few more flashbacks. Until Kal turns himself in and everything therein becomes consecutive.

Act 3 is long but all takes place in the same time period. The epilogue is set up to a month after Zod's death.

After focusing in and giving it some thought, the pacing of the movie seems much more appropriate.

__________________
2014 Cinematic Adventures:
Noah | Captain America: The Winter Soldier | The Amazing Spider-Man 2 | Godzilla | X-Men: Days of Future Past | Dawn of the Planet of the Apes | Guardians of the Galaxy | Lucy

Last edited by pr0xyt0xin; 10-16-2013 at 11:30 AM.
pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:14 AM   #7
Adamantium
Your King
 
Adamantium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Back home around country folk
Posts: 403
Default Re: The timeline of MoS

^^ Good post.

I think people might misunderstand this movie and therefore have a difficult time liking it. At least on the surface what people have said give me that impression. Or they were expecting something different all together. But they are entitled to their opinion.

My question is, those that have issues with Man Of Steel and don't like it....did these same people not anticipate the film unfolding as it did based on the trailers. When I watched the trailers they left me expecting exactly what the movie gave me. TheONLY 2 things I didn't like was:

"If were done measuring *****" and "Are you effin' stupid". I thought they were tasteless.

Adamantium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:27 AM   #8
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant
 
pr0xyt0xin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 4,864
Default Re: The timeline of MoS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamantium View Post
^^ Good post.

I think people might misunderstand this movie and therefore have a difficult time liking it. At least on the surface what people have said give me that impression. Or they were expecting something different all together. But they are entitled to their opinion.

My question is, those that have issues with Man Of Steel and don't like it....did these same people not anticipate the film unfolding as it did based on the trailers. When I watched the trailers they left me expecting exactly what the movie gave me. TheONLY 2 things I didn't like was:

"If were done measuring *****" and "Are you effin' stupid". I thought they were tasteless.
Oddly enough my "ONLY 2" things are different than yours, but for similar reasons of "tastelessness."

And they were "I think that only applies if you are kissing a human" and "I just think he's kinda hot." Slightly cringeworthy. I actually didnt mind the ones you listed. But to each his own right?

Anyway, I got something slightly different than what I expected from the trailers, but in a mostly positive way. Not nearly the same as my Iron Man 3 experience. Where I went in expecting (and hoping) Kingsley's Mandarin to be a badass. That was a let down. Man of Steel was not.

__________________
2014 Cinematic Adventures:
Noah | Captain America: The Winter Soldier | The Amazing Spider-Man 2 | Godzilla | X-Men: Days of Future Past | Dawn of the Planet of the Apes | Guardians of the Galaxy | Lucy
pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:36 PM   #9
Glassjaw
In training
 
Glassjaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Brighton/Somerset, UK
Posts: 1,387
Default Re: The timeline of MoS

The weirdest part of the timeline for me, if I recall correctly, was Clark catching up with Lois at Pa Kent's grave after she figures out who he is. Then Lois returns to Metropolis, tells Perry she's dropping the story, all before Clark goes home to see Martha from the graveyard. I haven't seen the film since June so I could be wrong, but i remember scratching my head over that during my second viewing.

Glassjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:08 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.