The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 03:08 PM   #426
GenUsername
Side-Kick

Default Re: DOFP vs other 2014 ComicsMovies Thread [Buzz, BoxOffice and more]

A billion was crazy. But with stronger WOM Man of Steel should have been able to do at least $750mil. World War Z wasn't even competition at the beginning of the year, but being a SHOCKINGLY stronger movie then Supes, from a genre that one could say is under-used during summer blockbuster season really helped that movie become a fierce competitor.

Next year DOFP could have a similar situation. "All you need is kill/edge of tomorrow" has a popular script (even on the 2010 black list), and a star that the international market still loves. DOFP will be the third SuperHero film in the space of two moths if DOFP doesn't receive better reviews than All You Need, then DOFP could find itself facing very strong competition.

Last edited by GenUsername; 09-05-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #427
SAUspartan
Kurtty Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duran Man View Post
I haven't seen it yet, but how is Man of Steel a "toss up?" It looks like it did rather well.
Production Budget has an impact.

The more money it costs, the more money it takes to be a WINNER i guess. lol.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:15 PM   #428
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenUsername View Post
A billion was crazy. But with stronger WOM Man of Steel should have been able to do at least $750mil. World War Z wasn't even competition at the beginning of the year, but being a SHOCKINGLY stronger movie then Supes, from a genre that one could say is under-used during summer blockbuster season really helped that movie become a fierce competitor.

Next year DOFP could have a similar situation. "All you need is kill/edge of tomorrow" has a popular script (even on the 2010 black list), and a star that the international market still loves. DOFP will be the third SuperHero film in the space of two moths if DOFP doesn't receive better reviews than All You Need, then DOFP could find itself facing very strong competition.
You have valid points but since the first time you posted in this thread, you have been very negative about DOFP's box-office performance. There's nothing wrong if you think it wouldn't live up to its hype. But like seriously, your negativity about DOFP's performance at the box-office is getting old.

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 09-18-2013, 03:29 PM   #429
laytonc32
Side-Kick

I still think Edge of Tomorrow sounds too weird to be a big hit and Cruise hasn't had a movie make more than 100 million in the last eight years besides MI4 and Tropic Thunder. Edge could do decent like 125-150, but 200 is very unrealistic. Maleficent got moved to the Good Dinosaur spot. I think that helps DOFP because a pixar movie has more potential than Maleficent. I can't see that coming close to what Oz made.

Old 09-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #430
Zant
Side-Kick

Yeah but Maleficent has Angie. A bigger box office draw than any one in that Oz movie

Old 09-18-2013, 04:10 PM   #431
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Exactly. Maleficent has Angelina AND she's playing one of Disney's most popular villains. My partner actually got to see a rough cut of the trailer when Disney came to do a partnership presentation for the company we work for and he said it looks AMAZING.

It'll certainly be just as big, if not bigger, than Oz.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:15 PM   #432
laytonc32
Side-Kick

Oz is one of the most famous stories of all time, though. And Really Angie's box office draw isn't that huge. She has never had a 200 million dollar film. Also, the film plays to another audience more female and family friendly than what DOFP will be playing too. Still, think that Good Dinosaur would have made more money there.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:59 PM   #433
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Where did A Good Dinosaur get moved to? I can't find it on BoxOfficeMojo's release schedule. On Imdb it still says May 30th.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:17 PM   #434
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by laytonc32 View Post
Also, the film plays to another audience more female and family friendly than what DOFP will be playing too. Still, think that Good Dinosaur would have made more money there.
Maleficent is gonna be big and appeal to alot of audiences. The family audience is prbably the largest demo. Alot of DOFP's audience will be family members as well. It would be a huge mistake to leave them out. Both films will be for all ages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
Where did A Good Dinosaur get moved to? I can't find it on BoxOfficeMojo's release schedule. On Imdb it still says May 30th.
Nov 2015 I think.

Last edited by def28; 09-18-2013 at 10:24 PM.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:26 PM   #435
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

It got moved to November 2015

Old 09-18-2013, 10:40 PM   #436
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Cool. I hope Maleficent bombs.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:55 PM   #437
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

LOL Endzon3. I'm looking forward to Malificent! I'm happy that Pixar movie was moved to 2015! No Pixar movie is gonna outgross a X-Men film next year! I felt like The Good Dinosaur was gonna be a bigger competition to DOFP than Malificent.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:24 AM   #438
Antihero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by laytonc32 View Post
Cruise hasn't had a movie make more than 100 million in the last eight years besides MI4 and Tropic Thunder. .
Tom Cruise hasn't had a single flop as a lead actor since Top Gun(his breakout movie).Most successful movie star EVER

Mission Impossible 3 : 397 million
Valkyrie : 200 million
Knight and Day : 270 million
Ghost Protocol : 700 million
Jack Reacher : 220 million
Oblivion : 290 million

Old 09-19-2013, 07:07 AM   #439
BMM
Side-Kick

Those numbers would be more impressive, if they weren't worldwide box office numbers. As it stands, I think people are more concerned with Days of Future Past's domestic competition, and Tom Cruise hasn't had a domestic hit outside of the Mission Impossible films in years. We'll see. Stranger things have happened.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:23 AM   #440
Antihero
Side-Kick

^I agree Tom Cruise's domestic BO numbers haven't been impressive lately.But I think Tom Cruise is still the biggest movie star on the planet.RDJ isn't a draw outside of Iron Man/Sherlock Holmes.Johnny Depp isn't a reliable draw outside of POTC.Will Smith has had just 2 releases in the last 5 years.

DOFP should do fantastic numbers in US.Tom Cruise's movie isn't going to huge competition to the X-Men franchise.I reckon DOFP would do around 200-250 million in US while Edge of Tomorrow would do around 100-125 million in US.People in US tend to get actor's personal life in to the question while appreciating movies,which is something I think is wrong.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:41 AM   #441
BMM
Side-Kick

That's fair. I also think it's becoming increasingly difficult for actors to sell movies on their names alone, which is why having a Cruise, Depp, or Smith, isn't as much of a guarantee (?) as it used to be.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:26 AM   #442
Mr.M
Side-Kick

DoFP will do at the very least MoS numbers domestically. TLS outgrossed Returns and this is yet another sequel to the X-Men franchise. So easily north of 300 million. WW is anyone's guess.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:36 PM   #443
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I don't think Edge of Tomorrow will be a huge competition to DOFP, at best, that film will get at least $150 million in the U.S.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:13 AM   #444
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenUsername View Post
In no particular order it's
Hobbit
Minions
Hunger games
Spidey
Fast 7
Transformers
How to train
Interstellar

And the two were not certain yet are Xmen, Cap Am, Mr Peabody and Sherman, home, and Pixars Good Dinosaur.
EDIT we were gonna add "all you need is kill." But we think 2014s BO will be so huge that whilst certain films make money, they won't make the list
You can now remove Good Dinosaur and Minions from that list! Minions will be released in July 2015 and The Good Dinosaur in November 2015.

Old 09-22-2013, 07:10 AM   #445
Angamb
Banned User

I know it doesnt matter too much at this early point, but there seems to be a decrease of interest in DOFP on the net.

Its been some time since certain sites posted something related to the movie.

For example, the latest Bryan tweet of the school logo hasnt been posted by some magazine sites like Empire, Totalfilm, or other movie sites like ScreenRant and joblo.

Obviously this will change once the official teaser trailer comes, but I just wanted to point out this current state.

Old 09-22-2013, 03:20 PM   #446
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Prob coz we're in the doldrums of the movie season. It's the same for most movies.

Old 09-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #447
Angamb
Banned User

yeah... but for example in Totalfilm top 10 list of upcoming movies, DOFP has lost positions, being at #4 right now, under Spiderman 2, Avengers 2 and another movie I dont remember right now.

and even in many boards people arent talking about the movie that much in this point. So its obvious that the hype has slowed down a bit.

but as I said, it will change with the trailer.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:55 PM   #448
Antihero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
I know it doesnt matter too much at this early point, but there seems to be a decrease of interest in DOFP on the net.

For example, the latest Bryan tweet of the school logo hasnt been posted by some magazine sites like Empire, Totalfilm, or other movie sites like ScreenRant and joblo.

Obviously this will change once the official teaser trailer comes, but I just wanted to point out this current state.

I check Google News to see for any news regarding DOFP and it's been a long time since anything has come out.

The School Logo wasn't going to garner attention.Nobody cares about such stuff.X-Men has one advantage over other superhero movies.They have so many great characters.Bryan Singer should release pics regarding mutants and them displaying their powers.I personally want to see stills of Wolverine fighting Sentinels,Iceman freezing something,Colossus showing a display of strength,Mystique morphing into someone else or Magneto and Wolverine in a single still.Instead we get lame pics of a school logo falling.Nobosy gives a damn about it

Last edited by Antihero; 09-23-2013 at 12:01 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:05 AM   #449
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post

I feel you.

But DOFP is #12 in IMDB, its not bad.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:20 AM   #450
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
Prob coz we're in the doldrums of the movie season. It's the same for most movies.
Exactly. We're in the doldrums generally. It's that weird transition time, where schools and universities have just started new terms, and it's autumn/fall when the days get darker/colder and Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) kicks in from the change of season. SAD hits me bad every year, it's hard to muster interest in anything until I've readjusted, it's almost like depression except it's physical and caused by the lack of light. And that picture of a school sign lying in the grass was hardly a headline-maker anyway.

Last edited by X-Maniac; 09-23-2013 at 06:34 AM.
Closed Thread