The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

Old 09-14-2013, 08:21 PM   #101
Frico
Without Fear

Default Re: The Tennis Thread - Part 3

Can't wait for the first meeting between the Djoker and Missile Milos tomorrow and the stage couldn't be any better as it's Davis Cup with Canada having the 2-1 lead after they won the doubles today.

I do it because of a reckless bat. I do it because it's justice for my parents. I do it because no one else will. But most of all...I do it because I have to. - Batman

Frico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:27 PM   #102
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

Well, DC kind of fizzled on the last day.

Thinking about Nadal and how awesome he's been, and seeing him play DC world group and talking about Asia, I mean, shouldn't this guy be taking it a little easier? His team was so smart with his schedule and now it seems like he's playing an impossibly packed schedule:

Beijing 500
Shanghai 1000
Basel 500
Paris 1000
And the WTF!

The odds of him playing all those events I guess are slim, but that's the schedule he is booked for now. My thinking is that this is Nadal's best chance to win the year end title. Now that he's putting his name in the running for best player ever, well, it helps the case if you've won The Masters/Masters Cup/Tour Finals.

I just don't understand that scheduling. The courts and format of the WTF already don't favor Nadal, why tire yourself and make your body available to injury when the year end title is the last significant title Nadal has not won?

Old 09-19-2013, 09:43 AM   #103
Frico
Without Fear

Tsonga really looked great in his return match yesterday. Glad he took the time to heal up and back hitting in top form.

I do it because of a reckless bat. I do it because it's justice for my parents. I do it because no one else will. But most of all...I do it because I have to. - Batman

Old 09-19-2013, 11:47 AM   #104
Frico
Without Fear

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/24163790
Quote:
Andy Murray: Back surgery set to end Wimbledon champion's year

Andy Murray is unlikely to play again this season after deciding to undergo surgery on a long-standing back injury.
The 26-year-old has a disc problem in his lower back and is set to miss this year's remaining tour events, including November's World Tour Finals in London.

The injury flared up in May, forcing him to withdraw from the French Open.
He returned in July and was the first Briton to win Wimbledon since 1936, but has struggled back on the hard courts and lost in the US Open quarter-finals.
Murray's last four Grand Slams

• US Open 2012 - Winner
  • Australian Open 2013 - Runner-up
  • Wimbledon 2013 - Winner
  • US Open 2013 - quarter-finals
The disc problem, which Murray has suffered for two years, affects a nerve in his lower back which can send pain shooting down his hip and upper leg.
It appears to cause him more problems when he plays on clay and the harder surfaces than on grass courts.

He had pain-killing injections before the 2012 French Open and withdrew from this year's Rome Masters midway through a match against Marcel Granollers. After consulting medical advice, he decided he would not be fit for Roland Garros.

There were signs of discomfort at the US Open, but he only took the decision to have surgery after last weekend's Davis Cup tie on clay in Croatia. He admitted his back was sore after last Friday's opening singles victory over Borna Coric.
Murray had been scheduled to play three more events in Asia this season, including the Shanghai Masters, then the Paris Masters before heading to the World Tour Finals at the O2 Arena from 4-11 November.

There is no suggestion that next year's schedule will be affected and it is hoped he will kick off his regular pre-season training block in Miami in the middle of November.

Old 09-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #105
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

Back surgery doesn't sound good. I'm not expert on it, but I know it is something doesn't always result well and often requires additional surgery. I guess it shouldn't be too big an issue if he's willing to have the surgery after playing through the back pain for so long now. Must have a fairly high recovery rate or Murray wouldn't be doing it.

Murray shutting down his 2013 is good news for the trio of players vying for that 8th spot in London. Wawrinka, Gasquet, and Federer could all make it now.

Has anyone heard any rules for this Battle of the Sexes match between Djokovic and Li Na? I don't doubt that this won't be in the least bit competitive or serious, but I haven't heard much about it. I say just do the damn McEnroe/Serena match in MSG and put it on PPV.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:37 AM   #106
Capt Underpants

That should be a tight battle for those players to qualify for London. I'd love to see Federer make it, but Wawrinka's had a terrific year and is in the best form.

Capt Underpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:51 AM   #107
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Hunter Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:05 PM   #108
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

The last genuinely great teenager, which is appropriate since she was a super intelligent player that relied on her cunning and less on physicality.

I'm glad the narrative on Hingis has turned around, and the focus is her dominance at such a young age and not about her adult troubles as it had been for a number of years now. She deserves the legacy she earned as World No. 1

Unfortunately, my first memory of Hingis will be her absolute meltdown against Steffi Graf at Roland Garros. If what transpired on the court wasn't enough to entrench the match in my neurons, it was also the fact that I watched it with my father. He was an old school Steffi fan, and I was behind the attractive and brilliant Swiss Miss. Good memories.

Old 10-04-2013, 09:52 AM   #109
Bim
Side-Kick

I loved seeing Martina play, a very talented young woman. And i agree: she should be remember for her brilliant accomplishments. Everyone has demons they must deal with, but her place in tennis is undeniable.

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Bim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:28 AM   #110
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

It's already time for another Nadal-Djokovic match. That was quick.

Nadal secured the World No. 1 with the retirement of Berdych.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:21 PM   #111
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

I think Nadal is pretty eliminated from legitimate greatest season ever discussions since he missed Australia and went out in round 1 at Wimbledon.

While Federer's 2004-2006 remain the gold standard of recent season-long excellence, a stretch of 3 seasons where he went 247-15. He also tacked on a 3 Slam 2007. Djokovic had an opportunity in 2011 to match those seasons but was wholly uninspired after his US Open win, which shockingly enough remains his only Open title in five finals.

Nadal can't match the Slam results of those seasons, but he can match some of the unique aspects of Federer's dominant years.

If he beats Djokovic tomorrow, that gives Nadal his second 11 win season (he did it in 2005). Now since Ivan Lendl won 11 ATP titles in 1985, only three guys have won that many titles in a season. Federer (won 12 in 2006), Nadal, and Thomas Muster in 1995. I won't even consider Muster since he literally won every backwater clay court title that year. Nadal and Federer did the lion's share of their work against top competition in meaningful tournaments.

So if Nadal gets number 11 in a few hours, that means he has four more events to match Federer's 12 win 2006, and surpass it. He also has the opportunity to take aim at McEnroe's 82-3 season record from 1984. If he tops Djokovic tonight, he's 65-3 on the year. If he wins Shanghai that's 70-3. If he wins the Swiss Indoors it'll be 75-3. A Paris title puts Nadal at 80-3 heading into the World Tour Finals in London. This is where things could get interesting...

You can win the Tour Finals even while losing a match there, due to the round robin stage. Nadal could be 2-0 in his Group and secured a spot in the semifinals. Does he take it easy or play hard for McEnroe's record, especially when he'd be 82-3 at that point. Personally, if he makes it to that point, I can't imagine him not playing his hardest. Anyway, if Nadal wins out on the schedule he is currently committed to, he'll finish 85-3, for a record winning percentage of 96.5%.

Obviously this is all a stretch. Nadal will be playing three indoor events to close the year, he has historically faded in the fall, he is prone to withdraw from a tournament, and any of that would affect his pursuit of McEnroe's record. Who knows if Nadal is even aware of it? I think that now that he has secured Year End No. 1, his goal will shift to winning the Tour Finals. Nadal is now putting his name in the mix for greatest ever status, and its hard to make an argument when you've never won the big year end event.

Should be a fun finish!

Old 10-10-2013, 11:50 AM   #112
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

^ I guess that long thesis wasn't necessary since Nadal lost his very next match.

Federer goes out early again, 3rd round in Shanghai to Monfils. That's going to hurt him pretty bad as far as qualifying for the WTF goes. He can't afford a bad result in Basel or Paris. Losing to Monfils in a match that he was always behind in, well, Monfils has given him some stuff matches in the past, mainly on clay, and his only prior win over Federer came when Federer held match points and couldn't close it out. Federer is still spinning these dismal results. The usual stuff from Fed, "I can still finish strong. I play well indoors. 2014 is going to be a great year." Maybe he will finish strong, maybe he will be motivated with no points to defend in 2014.

But to paraphrase Yoda, "Always with his eye on the horizon. Always looking to the future. Never knowing where he was or what he was doing." At some point, Federer has to post a good result and stop saying next time. His optimism is not without its merits, but I'd like some of the testiness and anger he showed after the loss to Djokovic at the 2011 USO. Where's that guy?

Old 10-10-2013, 01:49 PM   #113
Frico
Without Fear

JAWDROPPED when I read Monfils took out Fed in three this morning. Was shocked up until I just saw the replay and credit goes to Mofils. He was all over the place - served really well too. Usual backhand errors from Fed and was incredibly poor at times coming up to net. Agreed with Saku about Fed needing a good result. SAYING is easier than DOING. And right now Fed needs to start doing.

Also watched Djoker vs Rafa in Beijing. Simply put - wow. Just wow. Looking at this match you would think it was Nole who won the US Open. His aggressive nature looked so damn pure. Rafa had no answer. At all. Novak was the dictator and frankly looked NOTHING like how he appeared to be in New York. New York Novak was annoyed and wasn't having certain things work like he would've liked. Beijing Novak was full throttle. Plain and simple. I loved the way he played in that final and it came just as he lost the #1 ranking.

Amazing how the tides turn.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #114
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

I need to look up the Beijing final and watch it.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:59 AM   #115
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Just caught the Djokovic/Monfils game. Quite a good one with a bit of fire in it, Djokovic yelling out a few times and Mofils arguing with the umpire about time violations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frico View Post
Usual backhand errors from Fed and was incredibly poor at times coming up to net. Agreed with Saku about Fed needing a good result. SAYING is easier than DOING. And right now Fed needs to start doing.
Yeah. I love Roger and make no mistake, have all the respect for him. He's older, sure. But he doesn't play often and just can't come out and turn on the magic as before. It's not enough. He's got to make a choice to play consistently or retire, to be honest. Because at the moment there's a trend that isn't shaking.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:23 PM   #116
Bim
Side-Kick

I honestly dont think Roger has it in him to make another comeback this time around. I guess time will tell...

And Novak wins Shanghai after beating Juan Martin 6-1, 3-6, 7-6. He's looking pretty solid to end the year. The race for #1 is going to be very interesting.

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Old 10-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #117
Frico
Without Fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bim View Post
And Novak wins Shanghai after beating Juan Martin 6-1, 3-6, 7-6. He's looking pretty solid to end the year. The race for #1 is going to be very interesting.
INDEED. Novak - the Asian Ace. His record there remains intact. He really is the rebound king though. Last year he loses the USO to Murray then beats him in their next two meetings of that season. This year he loses to Rafa in NY then beats him in Beijing. I just bought his new book too, gonna give it a read.

The final with Delpo in Shanghai was both great and fun. I'm happy for Delpo - winner in Tokyo and finalist in Shanghai. I'd really like for him to get back in the majors final talk. He's the youngest player in the top 10 and his new found motivation of "gate crashing" the top 4 may just pan out for him.

Bit of news:

1. Rafa pulls out of Basel citing fatigue.

2. Federer and Annacone are no more. Interested as to who Fed will bring in next to his team.

3. Dimitrov hired Roger Rasheed as his new coach for the rest of the season and *may* keep him around for next year. This is a good hire IMO. Rasheed may be the guy to take Grigor where he needs to go.

Speaking of Dimitrov he's having a solid week in Stockholm. He plays his semi final match against Paire tomorrow. BIG chance for both guys. The other semi is Gulbis/Ferrer. Ferrer has looked incredibly vulnerable and Gulbis took out Janowicz today. I'd like to see Gulbis power past Ferrer.

Also I really liked what I saw from Jack Sock in his match against Ferrer. Lost in three but really good showing. He keeps that kind of form and aggression for next year then America's hopes may actually have a good future.

Last edited by Frico; 10-18-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:09 AM   #118
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

Congratulations to Dimitrov for getting his first ATP Tour victory in Stockholm. Hopefully the first of many

Old 10-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #119
Frico
Without Fear

So happy for Dimitrov - what a way to step it up to win his first maiden title and against Ferrer no less which in itself is a great feat. I just loved the way he stepped up his game and played solid in sets 2 and 3. Great week in Stockholm.

Also glad to see him win today in Basel against Stepanek. If Grigor beats Dolgopolov tomorrow then we'll finally get Federer vs Dimitrov for the first time. Please let it happen tennis gods.

Old 10-24-2013, 04:19 PM   #120
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

Set in stone. Fed and Baby Fed will meet in Federer's hometown.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #121
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

Nadal's back to crying again. He says he's never won the WTF because he is unlucky. The fact that the Masters or World Tour Finals is an indoor event is unfair to Nadal. You'll never guess the next part... He wants it played on outdoor clay! Or at least for the event to rotate surfaces. How about no, Rafa?

The year end championship has been an indoor event 98% of its existence. It's cold and wet in Europe in November. The Tour Finals is like a mini major that caps not only the entire year but the fall INDOOR season.

Maybe next June the French Open should be played on grass. How would Nadal like that? It wasn't fair to Pete Sampras, and Lendl wants to pack in the All England fescue with crushed bricks. Nadal doesn't know what fairness is, apparently.

McEnroe still never misses an opportunity to retro-wish a fifth -indoor- grand slam during his playing days. The Finals is the closest thing to that. It is an indoor hardcourt event, period

Old 11-05-2013, 04:19 PM   #122
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

Federer just won the second set tiebreak to force a third set against Djokovic, we'll see if he has anything left in the tank.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:52 AM   #123
Bim
Side-Kick

Nope, Federer went down 6-2 third set. He will face Gasquet tomorrow, while Novak faces Del Potro. This one should be a heck of a match! Interesting article about the bittersweetness of Federer's forehand these days: http://www.barclaysatpworldtourfinal...s-tuesday-2013

Right now Nadal leads Wawrinka 7-6, 4-3. Later on today Ferrer plays Berdych.

If you're stuck at work like me, you can keep up with the scores here: http://www.barclaysatpworldtourfinals.com/

Last edited by Bim; 11-06-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #124
Bim
Side-Kick

Rafa wins after 2 tiebreaks and makes sure he keeps #1 for the year. He also secures a spot in the semi-finals.

Berdych leads Ferrer 6-4, 5-4. Just one game away from the win.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #125
Bim
Side-Kick

Berdych beat Ferrer in straight sets. Wawrinka needs to beat Ferrer tomorrow if he wants a chance at the semis. Tomorrow we also have Rafa against Berdych, should be a good one!

Federer beat Gasquet in straight sets today, and in a bit the match of the day (imo): Novak vs Del Potro. How i wish i wasnt at work and was able to watch this one live.