The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 09-19-2013, 03:09 PM   #26
T"Challa
Side-Kick

Default Re: Marvel Readying 'Agent Carter' Series!

I love me some Peggy Carter so i'm down for this.

However i think the best way to go about this will be to have a finite story, not an ongoing serial like Agents of SHIELD is going to be. Marvel should go the BBC route ala Sherlock and Luther. 3 or 4 1hr episodes per season and make it sort of a miniseries with a focused story and not a case-of-the week type thing.

1. The Avengers 2. The Dark Knight 3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier . 4.Spiderman 2 5. X2: X Men United. 6. Iron Man 7. Batman Begins. 8. X-Men: First Class[/B] 9. Captain America: The First Avenger 10. Superman: The Movie
T"Challa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 04:29 PM   #27
Mr. Dent

I do think they should limit the episodes, but not 3-4 like Sherlock (I don't even think American TV lends itself well to that). I'd say just go with a HBO or Showtime-style 10-12 episodes a season for it.

I can see this show being a lot like the Nick Fury: Agent of SHIELD comic from back in the 60's. Moreso than the modern day Agents of SHIELD. This could also introduce the possibility of using the Human Torch android.

2016 - Captain America 3 | Batman vs. Superman | X-Men: Apocalypse | The Amazing Spider-Man 3 | Doctor Strange
TV - Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | Agent Carter | Daredevil | Luke Cage | Iron Fist | Jessica Jones | The Defenders
TV - Arrow | The Flash | Gotham | Constantine | iZOMBIE
Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:32 PM   #28
dsfjr1190
Side-Kick

I'm onboard. Hayley Atwell is the best actress in the MCU and her character is strong enough to stand on her own away from Cap.

I'd love to see Dominic Cooper be a lead as well. The kick-ass adventures of Carter and Stark in the 40's would be grand.

dsfjr1190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:57 PM   #29
Loki882
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
Indeed... that could be one thing. They also could make the show a more serial type of character twisty type show, where allegiances and alliances and resources and betrayals and such go back and forth. I do like the idea of Agent Carter as a summer series or something like that. That would pwn for me.

It's not that it would be a bad show, at all, it's just... there are so many other Marvel TV shows I'd rather see, so many other marvel female heroes I'd rather see... (say, one with super powers, anyone?) it's hard to celebrate this.

Have you seen the Agent Carter short? If so, you should have a very strong idea what kind of show it would be. If not... then speak for yourself. Are you saying any good character that doesn't appear weekly is wasted?
Yes, I'm saying Peggy appearing every once and a while on a TV show that's focused on Coulson and co would be a waste of her character absolutely. She has her own long and storied career, tell those stories, don't make her second fiddle to agents who weren't even alive in her heyday, who I also like btw.

Loki882 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:44 PM   #30
Suzanne78
The Winter Smolder

YEE-HAW!! My fave MCU female is getting a show of her own... hopefully!

I would love to have a mix of Invaders/Commandos in this. Maybe use this to also introduce an older version of Captain Britain as well. I wonder if Derek Luke would reprise his role as Gabe Jones. He and Peggy can get their flirt on, if they decide to stay true to MC canon.

Hopefully a female-led Marvel movie isn't far behind.

For as much flack as people give Marvel that's a pretty freaking great group of filmmakers. Kind of feel spoiled."

--Chewy
Suzanne78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:03 PM   #31
seishin87
Side-Kick

I approve of this news! I'm waiting to see how Agents of S.H.E.I.L.D turns out but since CA:TFA is my favorite MCU and I loved the period aspects of the story and I love espionage spy thrillers. Excellent news!!

seishin87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:56 PM   #32
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

Hmm ratings-wise, I don't think this would work very well for a TV series.

Hugh Jackman - Halle Berry - Ian McKellen - Patrick Stewart
Anna Paquin - Shawn Ashmore - Daniel Cudmore - Ellen Page
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:42 PM   #33
Mr. Dent

Except women-based shows thrive on ABC. And this is arguably just as compelling a concept if not more so than Once Upon A Time and Revenge. :/

2016 - Captain America 3 | Batman vs. Superman | X-Men: Apocalypse | The Amazing Spider-Man 3 | Doctor Strange
TV - Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | Agent Carter | Daredevil | Luke Cage | Iron Fist | Jessica Jones | The Defenders
Old 09-20-2013, 02:14 AM   #34
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

Women-based shows like Missing, Red Widow and Pan Am didn't even get a 2nd season. And do you know how many new shows got canceled by ABC in the last five years? I've seen a lot of TV shows from ABC in the last five years that didn't get a 2nd season.

Old 09-20-2013, 04:43 AM   #35
Silvermoth
Avenger

So what? Lots of female driven shows get more than one season. It's not a case of if its got a woman in it = fail.

Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:07 AM   #36
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick

Covert Affairs, Homeland, and Rizzoli and Isles are still with us. Although it's bowing out this season, Nikita hung in there.

Saitou Hajime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:15 AM   #37
xeno000
Raining hell from above

As already noted, Revenge is going into its third season on ABC. It stars Emily Van Camp, who plays Sharon Carter in CATWS. ABC is known for its female-skewing shows, so Agent Carter fits right in. It could bridge the gap between the women who already make up the network's core audience and the males that it would like to draw in.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:16 AM   #38
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

I only see one caveat for the fanboys/fangirls, and it involves basically watching Peggy Carter move on past Cap. Yeah, there's a lot of successful female lead TV series on the networks, but one of the things that drives their success is romance and relationships. It's a given that ABC will want one for Peggy as well....I just wonder who that'll be, and how the fans will react to someone other than Steve Rogers in her life.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:41 PM   #39
Silvermoth
Avenger

I'm ok with it. Steve was gone for decades. It's not like she's a nun

Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:03 PM   #40
Lord
All Mighty

As with i with Agents of SHIELD i hope Marvel uses these tv shows to introduce C to Z list characters, this setting opens the possibilities for many stories and forgotten characters, while they'll probably go through a completelly original route instead, i think they should also pay homenage and explore some stuff from comics like Journey into Mystery and Tales to Astonish

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:07 PM   #41
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

A lot of the stuff we see in the mini series "Marvels" could feature in this. They could even introduce that photographer Phil Sheldon. But maybe Peggy could stand in for him in this series, witnessing all the various Marvels coming and going over the decades.

Now if only Marvel actually had the rights to Namor, he could fight the original android Human Torch.

Nominate your favourite Movie theme of all time for the upcoming tournament: http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=469413
Dark Raven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:17 PM   #42
Lord
All Mighty

Always wanted to see a tv show set in the 30s-40s about the Marvels during that time, mostly seen in the perspective of Phil Sheldon, but not every episode would be about him, the main characters would be Phil, the original Human-Torch, Namor and the Angel (the original one, who killed gangsters).

It would mostly take aspects from Marvels and the Marvel Project, if it was too expensive then i would suggest cutting it down to just Phil and the street level heroes like Angel, and letting keeping the original Human-Torch and Namor for their oun movie or movies.

Since the Agent Carter show would take place after WWII during the cold war then i don't think they should place Golden age events like Namor vs Human-Torch in there, but the more mysterious and quiet events from that era.

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:21 PM   #43
Mr. Dent

Well they couldn't use Namor anyway due to rights issues. We may still see Human Torch, and I hope we do. Agent Carter would also help cover that gap left open between Captain America and Iron Man on some things that happened. Opens up a lot of possibilities on telling what happened back in those times, especially in the aftermath of what will come to light in Captain America: The Winter Soldier. They might even be able to tie-in the young Hank Pym/Ant-Man into the show.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:41 PM   #44
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Well they couldn't use Namor anyway due to rights issues. We may still see Human Torch, and I hope we do. Agent Carter would also help cover that gap left open between Captain America and Iron Man on some things that happened. Opens up a lot of possibilities on telling what happened back in those times, especially in the aftermath of what will come to light in Captain America: The Winter Soldier. They might even be able to tie-in the young Hank Pym/Ant-Man into the show.

Yeah, there's a lot of potential storylines available, even just expanding on the history of the MCU. Howard Stark and the Howlers are almost certain to be part of the show; I'd like to see Whitford's character in the One-Shot become a permanent co-worker foil/thorn in Peggy's side; you've got the perfect opportunity to introduce Nick Fury into the transition from SSR to SHIELD; Zola might play an active role; there's the Human Torch android and Dr. Horton; maybe even a young Dr. Selvig; a young Thunderbolt Ross; Pierce from CATWS.....not to mention the Winter Soldier himself popping in from time to time. And that's just the characters we *know* of that could find places in the Cold War-era MCU. Delve into Gold and Silver Age Marvel Comics, and there's a rich treasury of heroes and villains who could create a whole "secret war" between Unregistered Gifteds that was never reported or made known to the public. (Although intrepid conspiracy theorists like Skye and the Rising Tide could've uncovered bits and pieces of the truth....)

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:45 PM   #45
psylockolussus
X-Men OT Cast Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saitou Hajime View Post
Covert Affairs, Homeland, and Rizzoli and Isles are still with us. Although it's bowing out this season, Nikita hung in there.
The first three shows you mentioned are cable shows and Nikita is on CW. ABC is a broadcast network and has a higher ratings standard than CW. ABC usually only renew 3 to 1 drama shows every TV season and they have like 5 to 8 new drama shows every TV season. Last season, they only renewed 1 new drama show (Nashville) and the ratings of the show are not even impressive.

And I just feel like Marvel has a lot of properties, they could just do a Iron Fist tv series or a Heroes for Hire TV series instead of this Agent Carter.

Old 09-21-2013, 07:09 AM   #46
Shazam
Side-Kick

Peggy Carter???

Seriously??? ---------

Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #47
Visualiza
What is a yout?

As much as I like the idea that Marvel/Disney is at least exploring ideas for breaking into network television, I just feel that the characters and subject matter is a bit too big for TV. Unless these shows are syndicated on channels like HBO/Starz/Cinemax, and with production values comparable to GoT, I don't see them living up to their potential.

I've always thought that XFC for example would have made a much better mini-series had it kept the same production value. It can be done, but I wouldn't want these things to be dumbed down by the typical network television cost-cutting schemes(frequent indoor shoots, recycling the same sets/locales, etc.)

Visualiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #48
Zarex
Side-Kick

Though Heroes for Hire would be my preferred spin off from Agents of SHIELD, this could be Marvel and ABC's attempt to create a multi time slot franchise like L&O, CSI, NCIS and ABC's own Once Upon a Time. I absolutely loved the Agent Carter one shot, and focusing on post-war era Marvel allows for greater freedom from the MCU film continuity. With the One Shots established as the Marvel TV proving ground, I'm as curious about the studio's upcoming short films as I am in their features.

Zarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:59 AM   #49
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

This idea would be a waste of time IMO. Marvel has so many other characters with so much more potential than Agent Carter that deserve a TV show. Marvel doesn't have the time to make unlimited TV shows, and I think a Daredevil or Runaways TV show would be so much more interesting than this.

Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #50
Visualiza
What is a yout?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
This idea would be a waste of time IMO. Marvel has so many other characters with so much more potential than Agent Carter that deserve a TV show. Marvel doesn't have the time to make unlimited TV shows, and I think a Daredevil or Runaways TV show would be so much more interesting than this.
Good call. Of all the mainstream heroes, I think DD would be the best fit for a TV series. I'd say Punisher, but there's no way in hell he'd be done justice on network television.

Visualiza is offline   Reply With Quote