The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 09-22-2013, 08:23 AM   #26
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Default Re: What would have happened if Avengers failed?

It was a pretty big catalyst. It's a comic franchise a lot of people thought would be impossible to translate to live action, and whether you like what Whedon did or not, he managed to do it faithfully for the most part. Now others in Hollywood know something of that scope can be done and have it make money.

terry78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:41 AM   #27
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

What about Disney's business plan?

Stage 3 would be cancelled and Disney wouldn't have bought Star Wars leaving SW7 in development hell.

Also WB wouldn't consider a World's Finest or Justice League cross over.

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:42 AM   #28
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

Does this thread remind anyone else of a ”What If” comic book with a nightmare scenario?

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:05 PM   #29
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
Does this thread remind anyone else of a ”What If” comic book with a nightmare scenario?
That's kind of the idea. Who here thinks one of these scenarios is the reason to why the Avengers sucked in the "Darkest Timeline"?

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

smallville fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:45 PM   #30
smallville fan
Hero

So guys, having heard about the Runaways, I guess that might have been a phase 2 film?

Old 09-26-2013, 02:35 AM   #31
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

The comics would have suffered too. There must have been a bunch of new readers because of the film.

Hawkingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:01 AM   #32
Mr. Dent
Banned User

^ Not really.

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:33 AM   #33
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird View Post
The comics would have suffered too. There must have been a bunch of new readers because of the film.
Oh absolutely, not just in terms of new readers coming on board but also writers willing to work on said characters. Compared to most people here, I'm a fairly new reader to comics, I've noticed that with the early Ultimate comics from the early 2000s in Marvel(at least from what I've read), they had better writers and overall better stories and somehow bigger roles for characters that had prominent movies out at the same time(like Spidey, & X-Men) compared to the Avengers(otherwise known as the Ultimates) at the time.

After reading the Ultimates 1 Ultimate collection I did not like the writing compared to Ultimate Spider-Man and I thought that the characterization made them all douchebags(Ant-Man especially). Looking at Avengers titles now(especially post-movie) things have vastly improved, I'm loving the Avengers Assemble title especially when Bendis was writing, the main title isn't too bad either.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:29 PM   #34
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Anyone else think we wouldn't be seeing all these new DC shows (Flash, Gotham, Constantine, possibly Booster Gold) if it weren't for Avengers and AOS spinning out of it? It's crazy.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:45 PM   #35
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

Competition benefits us all. I mean I don't give a fig about anything DC since I've never been a fan but I want them to do well so that they'll keep Marvel on their toes.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:53 PM   #36
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Anyone else think we wouldn't be seeing all these new DC shows (Flash, Gotham, Constantine, possibly Booster Gold) if it weren't for Avengers and AOS spinning out of it? It's crazy.
Those shows had to have been in development for a while, but it's no coincidence that WB made announcements about its TV plans hot on the heels of AOS's big debut. It's hilarious but it makes sense.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:03 PM   #37
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I don't even think all of them will air. WB filmed pilots for Aquaman and Wonder Woman and they weren't picked up by a network.

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:14 AM   #38
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Gotham got a straight-to-series order, meaning they're skipping the pilot stage altogether, so that's definitely guaranteed. Can't see them not doing the Flash show at this point. With Goyer being on Constantine I have a hard time not seeing that going forward either.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:52 PM   #39
Tymminator
The Main Man in Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
The failure of the Avengers movie would have had an impact on most major studios:

Disney/Marvel - The blame for the disappointing box office would have fallen directly upon the alien protagonists. The beautiful, mythological aliens from Thor would have been spared, but the Chituari, the Other and Thanos, along with the Battle of New York would be ignored in future MCU films. The company would have looked to its street level heroes, with a series of Marvel Knights films taking the place of more expensive alien based films such as GOTG and the rumored Inhumans film.

FOX - With no need to keep up with the Joneses, the less costly XMFC 2 replaces DOFP on the FOX production schedule.

Sony - With the softened demand in superhero films, the studio takes a less aggressive stance with it's ASM series. Two sequels are planned (rather than three) with the films being released every three years (as opposed to every two).

Warner/DC - Warner is pleased with its box office take from MOS, and schedules a sequel for 2016. Batman continues his post TDKR retirement, and a future Justice League film goes from "maybe, someday" to "never going to happen".
This.

Tymminator is offline   Reply With Quote