The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Marvel's Agent Carter

Old 09-22-2013, 05:41 AM   #76
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Default Re: Marvel Readying 'Agent Carter' Series!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Yes, a 7-10 year run is standard for a very successful basic cable TV show. As I said, God willing. I didn't say it would be a sure fire success. At least Marvel are trying ballsy things with even their smallest characters, more than you can say for Fox's X-Men.
It's not a cable TV show though. It would be on ABC.

I'd be happy with a 3-4 year run for Agent Carter. Hopefully longer for Agents of SHIELD.

I don't want anymore spy shows either after this. DD needs to be the next show, or if not, then Heroes for Hire.

Now if only Heroes for Hire could somehow be set in the 70s during the Blaxploitation era, that would be awesome. But that would pose a problem for interacting with other present day characters. If Luke Cage's powers were also like the SSS/ infinity formula (yet again!) then he could've operated in the 70s but not aged much up to today.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #77
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
A ****ing bunch. You don't quantify "time" like that. There is no "time" on when they have to make new properties, and you don't use timeslots as some kind of measure of it; they make them. They have the entire Disney television empire working for them, if they want a show made and a timeslot allocated to it they will get it. And their movie schedule has nothing to do with TV so I don't even see what you're getting at there.

That's what you think. I would like that more as well. But in reality it all depends on how the showrunners handle it and if they can come up with interesting stories. A period peice set around a female spy in the mid-late 20th century set in the Marvel universe can definitely work and is a compelling concept, as the Agent Carter One-Shot proved first hand. And given all the Golden and Silver Age Timely and Marvel Comics stuff they can introduce through that type of show, it has high value for us comic book fans who are familiar with that time.

A Daredevil show I doubt would expand on the Marvel Universe as much as an Agent Carter show would. It would be a good way to introduce his world, and bring in some street level antihero characters like Moon Knight and Punisher, and that side of the Marvel U, but Agent Carter would do much more to expand on the history of the MCU as its connected to the beginnings of SHIELD.
I would agree with all of that if we weren't already getting Agents of SHIELD. Agents of SHIELD can essentially expand the MCU in the exact same way. The problem with doing Agent Carter is that the premise sounds just like the premise of Agents of SHIELD, only that it will take place in the past.

Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:07 PM   #78
Mr. Dent
Banned User

How can AOS expand on things that took place 50-70 years prior to it? Or do it better than a show set in that time? My entire point is that Agent Carter is period. AOS can't do that. Yes the premises sound similar on the surface in that they're "spies"/agents handling supernatural cases BUT the difference is that Agent Carter is a period piece, which in itself makes it completely different, it will have a more singular focus on the female lead, it won't be just about the people on the edges of SHIELD like AOS, it will be about the people at the heart of it, and its foundation, so it will be a difference between the agents and the leaders. AOS is also about how the world deals with learning that superpowered people exist, it's not about keeping that secret. Agent Carter would be the opposite of that.

It would really just be a completely different thing once you get past the "agents dealing with supernatural stuff" thing, which is why Marvel is developing it. They're not stupid, they're thinking of the exact same things we are, and they know they have to differentiate between AOS to justify making the show, and I guarantee they're thinking of the above things as those differentiators.

Last edited by Mr. Dent; 09-22-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:29 PM   #79
Dr. Evil
RIP Robin Williams

Agent Carter would be in a time period where SHIELD could track down Soviet spies, Hydra agents and (probably) Ex-Nazis. Basically regular humans, but bad guys. AOS would have a more far reaching premise of Superhumans, good or bad.

Agent Carter would more than likely try to track someone down like Notorious Nazi Josef Mengele while Agents of Shield would track down a human that has superpowers.

My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #80
T"Challa
Side-Kick

Quote:
How can AOS expand on things that took place 50-70 years prior to it? Or do it better than a show set in that time? My entire point is that Agent Carter is period. AOS can't do that. Yes the premises sound similar on the surface in that they're "spies"/agents handling supernatural cases BUT the difference is that Agent Carter is a period piece, which in itself makes it completely different, it will have a more singular focus on the female lead, it won't be just about the people on the edges of SHIELD like AOS, it will be about the people at the heart of it, and its foundation, so it will be a difference between the agents and the leaders. AOS is also about how the world deals with learning that superpowered people exist, it's not about keeping that secret. Agent Carter would be the opposite of that.

It would really just be a completely different thing once you get past the "agents dealing with supernatural stuff" thing, which is why Marvel is developing it. They're not stupid, they're thinking of the exact same things we are, and they know they have to differentiate between AOS to justify making the show, and I guarantee they're thinking of the above things as those differentiators.
This.

Also, people saying this will not work or that Marvel should make shows centered around superhero characters are thinking as comic fans and not as businessmen. I think an Agent Carter series is a great idea for Marvel TV for a few reasons.

1. The network: Marvel is pretty much limited to ABC in terms of avenues to launch shows. That means they are going to have to cater to the demographic that watches that station the most i.e: Women and families. A strong kick-ass female character who already has cinematic exposure will play very very well with the ABC. I keep hearing why not Punisher, Daredevil, Heroes for Hire etc. As much as i would love to see those, dark violent characters like that wont fly with the ABC demographic as well as Agent Carter would. And besides do you think network television can do justice to those characters anyway? you'd be getting a pretty watered down version.

2. Pure Superhero shows dont do that well: Smallville had declining ratings ever since its second season. by the time it was over it was barely hitting over 4 million viewers. And this is for the most popular superhero. Arrow for all its popularity among CBM fans could barely average 3.5 million viewers. The season finale didnt even hit 3 million. The Blade TV series was basically dead on arrival. Heroes is the only show that i can think of that bucked the trend somewhat.

However, you know the kind of shows that bring in viewers? Thats right, the procedurals that everyone seems to be *****ing about. NCIS, Castle, Elementary, Person of interest, Criminal Minds, CSI, Bones etc. These shows blow superhero shows out of the water in viewership and ratings, constantly garnering 10 mill + viewers. For whatever reason, general tv audiences gravitate to these types of shows. Agents and SHIELD and Agent carter will most likely have those charismatic leads + crime solving elements nailed.

I know fans want to see more superhero focused TV shows and this may not be what you want but this makes perfect business sense on Marvels end. Can't blame them for going after it.

1. The Avengers 2. The Dark Knight 3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier . 4.X-Men:DOFP 5. Guardians Of The Galaxy 6.Spiderman 2 7. X2: X Men United. 8. Iron Man 9. Batman Begins. 10. X-Men: First Class
T"Challa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #81
Mr. Dent
Banned User

I disagree Marvel is limited to ABC for their shows. They can shop shows to other stations if they wanted, and those other stations would be happy to have them.

And I think the thing that would help Daredevil as a TV show is that it wouldn't just be a superhero show, it would also be a law procedural show as well. It has that same double threat that AOS has. They could put it on TNT, AMC, or TBS and it would be very well received I think.

Disney should really make a cable channel that's not ABC Family or ESPN though. :/

Old 09-22-2013, 05:02 PM   #82
Dr. Evil
RIP Robin Williams

ABC is very female centric, so Agent Carter would fit in well with that network.

My MCU Rankings: 1. The Avengers- 9/10, 2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 9/10, 3. Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10 , 4. Iron Man- 8.5/10, 5. Captain America: The First Avenger- 8/10, 6. Thor- 8/10, 7. Iron Man 2- 7.5/10, 8. Thor: The Dark World- 7/10, 9. Iron Man 3- 7/10, 10. The Incredible Hulk- 6/10
Old 09-22-2013, 09:54 PM   #83
T"Challa
Side-Kick

Quote:
I disagree Marvel is limited to ABC for their shows. They can shop shows to other stations if they wanted, and those other stations would be happy to have them.

And I think the thing that would help Daredevil as a TV show is that it wouldn't just be a superhero show, it would also be a law procedural show as well. It has that same double threat that AOS has. They could put it on TNT, AMC, or TBS and it would be very well received I think.

Disney should really make a cable channel that's not ABC Family or ESPN though. :/
Yeah, of course they could technically shop shows to other studios but i doubt they would go to a station outside their parent company. It doesn't make a lot of sense logistically plus why risk ruffling Disney's feathers?

1. The Avengers 2. The Dark Knight 3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier . 4.X-Men:DOFP 5. Guardians Of The Galaxy 6.Spiderman 2 7. X2: X Men United. 8. Iron Man 9. Batman Begins. 10. X-Men: First Class
T"Challa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:22 AM   #84
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by T"Challa View Post
Yeah, of course they could technically shop shows to other studios but i doubt they would go to a station outside their parent company. It doesn't make a lot of sense logistically plus why risk ruffling Disney's feathers?
I don't think it would be a matter of not wanting to ruffle Disney's feathers. Disney owns Marvel outright and will determine what happens with the subsidiary's properties. Marvel's TV division reports back to Disney and in fact Disney's president ordered them to develop the SHIELD show. He probably had a hand in deciding on Agent Carter, too, since he chose AOS based on another One Shot. If a Marvel show is ever sold to another network it will be at Disney's direction, not because the people at Marvel TV decided it.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:56 AM   #85
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
I don't think it would be a matter of not wanting to ruffle Disney's feathers. Disney owns Marvel outright and will determine what happens with the subsidiary's properties. Marvel's TV division reports back to Disney and in fact Disney's president ordered them to develop the SHIELD show. He probably had a hand in deciding on Agent Carter, too, since he chose AOS based on another One Shot. If a Marvel show is ever sold to another network it will be at Disney's direction, not because the people at Marvel TV decided it.
.....no. Actually, please point me to where you even got any of this from.

Disney's president doesn't order Marvel to do anything. Marvel does its own things. Marvel and Joss came up with an idea for a show, and ABC took it. Could Disney maybe have requested a show? Yes. But does that mean they "ordered" them to make a SHIELD show? No. In fact, I see it far more likely there was just mutual interest in bringing one of their properties to TV.

If Marvel wants to shop shows out to other stations they will, and Disney will not be in a bunch because chances are the type of show they wanted to do didn't fit with their strictly "family friendly" programming channels.

Also, while Disney does own Marvel outright in a sense, they have very little actual influence over them. Disney is very hands off with them. Marvel still has its own CEO and greenlights its own stuff. Disney just supports them and as long as they're making money they don't care. Marvel for all intents and purposes is a separate entity from Disney.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:23 AM   #86
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Yes, a 7-10 year run is standard for a very successful basic cable TV show. As I said, God willing. I didn't say it would be a sure fire success. At least Marvel are trying ballsy things with even their smallest characters, more than you can say for Fox's X-Men.
Sorry but ABC is not a cable network.

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:33 AM   #87
Mr. Dent
Banned User

I meant network television anyway. I don't care about your opinion on the subject either way though. Agent Carter can go 5 seasons like Angel.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:38 AM   #88
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I disagree with that. Maybe it could escape cancellation for the 1st season. But I don't see it lasting for 3 seasons or more.

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:05 AM   #89
Silvermoth
Avenger

'Alias' didn't do so badly

Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:46 AM   #90
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
.....no. Actually, please point me to where you even got any of this from.

Disney's president doesn't order Marvel to do anything. Marvel does its own things. Marvel and Joss came up with an idea for a show, and ABC took it. Could Disney maybe have requested a show? Yes. But does that mean they "ordered" them to make a SHIELD show? No. In fact, I see it far more likely there was just mutual interest in bringing one of their properties to TV.

If Marvel wants to shop shows out to other stations they will, and Disney will not be in a bunch because chances are the type of show they wanted to do didn't fit with their strictly "family friendly" programming channels.

Also, while Disney does own Marvel outright in a sense, they have very little actual influence over them. Disney is very hands off with them. Marvel still has its own CEO and greenlights its own stuff. Disney just supports them and as long as they're making money they don't care. Marvel for all intents and purposes is a separate entity from Disney.

Quote:
To achieve that ambitious goal — the safe strategy would be to pick one audience or the other — Marvel and ABC started with a direct-to-DVD short film called “Item 47.” Or, rather, Robert A. Iger did.

Last year, Mr. Iger, chief executive of the Walt Disney Company, which owns both Marvel and ABC, watched “Item 47” and spotted the ingredients of a TV show. (It’s rare for a chief executive, even in Hollywood, to involve himself in a fledgling series, but Mr. Iger did start his career at ABC in 1974, ultimately becoming its chairman.) In “Item 47,” which was released on “The Avengers” DVD, two ordinary citizens discover a weapon left behind by aliens; S.H.I.E.L.D., which stands for Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division, steps in and saves the day.
For Marvel, a Tricky Gene Transfer
‘Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.’ Hopes for a TV Audience

As the above article states, Bob Iger, Disney's CEO, saw Item 47, decided that it had the elements of a TV show for ABC, and told Marvel and the network to make it happen. Joss Whedon was drafted to script it and be the show runner and it quickly went to pilot. Note that Marvel had been trying to develop a pilot that ABC would buy for more than two years before Iger reached down and virtually gave the superhero studio a show.

Agents of SHIELD was greenlit with head-spinning speed because the CEO of Disney wanted it made. (And it was that good, of course.) The article noted that it's unusual for the CEO of a huge entertainment conglomerate like Disney to involve himself in the creation of a TV show, but Marvel is a major source of revenue that Disney wants to tap. The company has been eager to develop a live-action Marvel show for as long as they've owned the studio. In fact, they want more than one show, as the Agent Carter news proves. But prior to Iger's involvement the network hadn't bought anything Marvel pitched. ABC even asked Jeph Loeb specifically to develop AKA Jessica Jones as a series, but he failed after two years of trying. Iger stepped in and a few months later SHIELD sailed through the pilot stage and was picked up.

Last edited by xeno000; 09-23-2013 at 07:38 AM.
xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:04 AM   #91
Dr. Evil
RIP Robin Williams

Speaking of which, what is the status of AKA Jessica Jones?

Old 09-23-2013, 01:40 PM   #92
Destructus86
Side-Kick

This will be very interested if it happens. Two Marvel tv shows...about SHIELD in two different eras. There is a lot of fun they could have with that.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:45 PM   #93
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Maybe they should introduce Agent Carter in an episode of AoS which would serve as the backdoor pilot. It could be a flashback episode, even though really, Peggy has had her pilot in CA:TFA and the one shot.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:47 PM   #94
Loki882
Side-Kick

I'd also like to see a DD TV series. I actually think that he fits best on TV, and you can also play up the attorney side of him as well, which is almost as interesting. 24 ran for eight seasons, and its coming back for another one, and it had a TV movie. NCIS has been on forever, and that has some spy elements to it. Alias had a good run, etc. The argument that this is automatically doomed to failure is premature.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:00 PM   #95
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:

Every sci fi show in history has expanded events that took place 50-70 years in the past. Some have had entire arcs and seasons or even the entire show built around the past. Period is not "completely different," neither is showing the leadership out on missions much different from showing the non-leaders out on missions. The actions taken and motivations involved are pretty much the same.

Now... there are ways to differentiate this show, and they may indeed be ways that they are contemplating, but based on the Agent Carter short, the only difference is set dressing and whether people have cell phones.

If they focus on something other than SHIELD's missions, I think they will have a strong unique flavor. But they may not be going for that... the goal might be precisely to have two sides of the same coin, and live of the synergy between them. That might be cool as well.

Last edited by DrCosmic; 09-23-2013 at 02:04 PM.
DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:25 PM   #96
Dr. Evil
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
Every sci fi show in history has expanded events that took place 50-70 years in the past. Some have had entire arcs and seasons or even the entire show built around the past. Period is not "completely different," neither is showing the leadership out on missions much different from showing the non-leaders out on missions. The actions taken and motivations involved are pretty much the same.

Now... there are ways to differentiate this show, and they may indeed be ways that they are contemplating, but based on the Agent Carter short, the only difference is set dressing and whether people have cell phones.

If they focus on something other than SHIELD's missions, I think they will have a strong unique flavor. But they may not be going for that... the goal might be precisely to have two sides of the same coin, and live of the synergy between them. That might be cool as well.
It could be different then AOS because maybe with SHIELD under the reign of Peggy and Howard Stark (as I said earlier) they could track the untrackable human bad guys (such as former Nazis living in South America) that the other government agencies have been unable to track.

Remember, at the end of TFA, the war has ended. Real life history says that a bunch of Ex-Nazis disappeared only to resurface in Latin America years later with some of them having died in exile in South America. That could be a focal point of Agent Carter's Shield at least early on. There could also be an emphasis on Hydra and Communist/Soviet agents and the show could also be a story to determine the whereabouts of Red Skull. Now if this show goes on for a long time, well into the 1980's as the timeline, SHIELD could shift to Superhumans.

On Agents of Shield, the focus is on aliens and superhumans.

I don't know if Marvel wants to go for Peggy's Shield as Nazi/HYRDA/Communist hunters early on, but who knows. It would be different than Agents of Shield, but yet tie into it too.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:54 PM   #97
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

there is, of course, the possibility that AC won't be that action oriented as people might think but instead focus on the relationships between the characters and the historical background more, with just enough action scenes to keep fanboys happy.

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:16 PM   #98
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

^That's what I was thinking. I said not focus on SHIELD's missions, but focusing on infiltration and true spy missions would also have that effect. That actually might be more than a bit awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
It could be different then AOS because maybe with SHIELD under the reign of Peggy and Howard Stark (as I said earlier) they could track the untrackable human bad guys (such as former Nazis living in South America) that the other government agencies have been unable to track.

Remember, at the end of TFA, the war has ended. Real life history says that a bunch of Ex-Nazis disappeared only to resurface in Latin America years later with some of them having died in exile in South America. That could be a focal point of Agent Carter's Shield at least early on. There could also be an emphasis on Hydra and Communist/Soviet agents and the show could also be a story to determine the whereabouts of Red Skull. Now if this show goes on for a long time, well into the 1980's as the timeline, SHIELD could shift to Superhumans.

On Agents of Shield, the focus is on aliens and superhumans.

I don't know if Marvel wants to go for Peggy's Shield as Nazi/HYRDA/Communist hunters early on, but who knows. It would be different than Agents of Shield, but yet tie into it too.
Yeah, I'm seeing that now. A true spy show, with bits of spy-fi from the Marvel Universe distilled into an MCU-ized TV budget. That could be awesome. That could be very interesting, depending on how they wrote it.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #99
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Expanding the past would be intersting, but not that interesting

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:08 PM   #100
Dr. Evil
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
^That's what I was thinking. I said not focus on SHIELD's missions, but focusing on infiltration and true spy missions would also have that effect. That actually might be more than a bit awesome.

Yeah, I'm seeing that now. A true spy show, with bits of spy-fi from the Marvel Universe distilled into an MCU-ized TV budget. That could be awesome. That could be very interesting, depending on how they wrote it.
And perhaps SHIELD under Peggy could do what real life could not do: capture (or kill) notorious ex-Nazi Josef Mengele.