The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 09-17-2013, 11:20 PM   #151
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Default Re: Hans Zimmers: Scoring Bats vs Supes AND Batman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
Zimmer created a new Superman theme, he'll create a new Batman theme if he signs on.
Egg-zactly.

This time around if Zimmer does Batman I'd like to see him incorporate some female choir chanting. He had ethereal cues like this on the MOS score, ala 'If You Love these People', 'Look to the Stars' and 'Goodbye My Son'.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:35 PM   #152
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I don't even think it's a question of whether Zimmer would create a new Batman theme or not. I think if he signs on, he definitely will, if only out of respect for Nolan and the trilogy. And also to keep things fresh for himself. New Batman, new theme.

I still think the best alternative if he wants to continue scoring Superman but doesn't want to have to start from scratch on Batman is simply to hire a collaborator to develop the Batman side of the score.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:50 PM   #153
Happy Jack
Iconographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I still think the best alternative if he wants to continue scoring Superman but doesn't want to have to start from scratch on Batman is simply to hire a collaborator to develop the Batman side of the score.
This is the best option, no question. He even has experience collaborating with another composer in the first two Batman films. He could even get James Newton Howard again, though that would probably be too similar to the scores in the Nolan franchise.

For you they call, the swaying mass, their eager faces turning.
Happy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:11 AM   #154
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
Personally I don't he should score film since he was compasor for nolan trilogy.

If you can't use the williams Superman theme then you shouldn't keep nolan composor.
Er, no. The comparison is off. If you can't use the Williams theme, then you can't use the Elfman theme or the Nolan/Zimmer themes. You can still keep the composer and get new themes.

It's like getting Williams back to compose a new theme. I wouldn't be opposed to that, but I would be opposed to them getting Williams back and use the Williams theme.

Gianakin_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:30 AM   #155
Project862006
Banned User

a new bat theme form him wont be too hard his nolan bat theme was just a take off his black rain score

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:22 AM   #156
the last son
Side-Kick

Hans isn't an automatic hit though. Rush and the Lone ranger have left me not impressed.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:28 PM   #157
verisimilitude
"Great Shades of Elvis"

Okay, this has really got my goat.

I don't generally post here but I'm always on, reading.

I would just like to make my thoughts heard on this one though.

I can understand why the studios would want Zimmer. He's written them 'music' for a lot of their blockbusters and he's very 'in' right now. But we all know producers are dumb and follow the money.

So I can understand why they'd want him back.
But do any of you Zimmer worshipers not feel that, as an artist, this would be incredibly GREEDY on Zimmer's part.

I can not BELIEVE what I'm reading. It astounds me.

He's scored three Batman films
He's scored a Superman film
He's now apparently scoring Superman v Batman
Then he's ALSO going to possibly score the new solo Batman film
And to top it off, I'm going to have to here his generic, mindless, and utterly themeless duh duh duh duh duh in the background to the new SPIDERMAN FILM????

Not only that, but he wants another crack at poor batman
..AGAIN???!!!

' he's going to give us a NEW batman?!' He never gave us 'batman' to begin with. Just background music to a suicide attempt.

Go away Zimmer. People, learn to let go. If Snyder is giving us a new Batman (thank God) surely the logical thing to do would be start fresh with a new perspective
Not bring on board a guy that's composed his version for nearly 9 years and someone who now has his hands full composing the music for Superman AND Spiderman too.....

Please have the decency to let another composer have their shot and bring their version to the table. There are many, MANY fine composers out there... dare I say it.. BETTER than the repetitive generic old humless drums 'n' drones from this greedy dude.

Please.

Last edited by verisimilitude; 09-23-2013 at 03:42 PM.
verisimilitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:04 PM   #158
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

Your right... Zimmer does have his hands full with Superman. A Superman sequel.

I gladly welcome Hans back to continue this cinematic version of Superman, (Wouldn't have picked him in the first place mind you, but thats a debate for another day) despite my complete lack of anticipation for a new Batman sound.

He should team up again and let some other composer do their magic on Batman.

Superman vs. Batman

Hans vs. ???

I'll miss you dad! xx

Pfeiffer-Pfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #159
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I've been clamoring for a collab since this movie was announced. I think it's the best way to go.

The thing is, Snyder might not want that. He might just want Hans to put his stamp on the movie as a whole, as he's the one who originally sought him out for MoS. But I hope the torch is passed, while Zimmer continues the very cool Superman stuff he was doing in MoS.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:01 PM   #160
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by verisimilitude View Post

I can understand why the studios would want Zimmer. He's written them 'music' for a lot of their blockbusters and he's very 'in' right now. But we all know producers are dumb and follow the money.

But do any of you Zimmer worshipers not feel that, as an artist, this would be incredibly GREEDY on Zimmer's part.

And to top it off, I'm going to have to here his generic, mindless, and utterly themeless duh duh duh duh duh in the background to the new SPIDERMAN FILM????

..AGAIN???!!!

' he's going to give us a NEW batman?!' He never gave us 'batman' to begin with. Just background music to a suicide attempt.

Go away Zimmer. People, learn to let go. If Snyder is giving us a new Batman (thank God) surely the logical thing to do would be start fresh with a new perspective
Not bring on board a guy that's composed his version for nearly 9 years and someone who now has his hands full composing the music for Superman AND Spiderman too.....

Please have the decency to let another composer have their shot and bring their version to the table. There are many, MANY fine composers out there... dare I say it.. BETTER than the repetitive generic old humless drums 'n' drones from this greedy dude.

Please.
You make it sound like the guy burned your house down . But I do believe he is overexposed. It's like this cycle of "he does everything so he must be great, he's great so he must do everything."

It seems like pretty much every other high profile film is scored by him. In turn, this association with high-profile film/anticipated blockbusters adds to his prestige, with his name overpowering composers who I think are better at this point in time (Powell, Silvestri, Giacchino, etc).

I actually like the MOS theme, and some of the score. But I think John Powell's Superman music would sweep me off my feet and add more emotional warmth to the movie.

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:38 PM   #161
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

I think if Zimmer ends up not scoring this film, I'm pretty sure whoever is will be 'encouraged' to reference or work in "Flight" into the main underscore.

Zimmer is a big name commercially, just as big as John Williams or Elfman. Powell would be a great choice to score this film, should he decide to do live-action again, but he tends to write his own themes.

For example, when Powell did X-Men 3, he wrote his own themes but kept it stylistically in the same family. Same thing with Elliot Goldenthal and his scores for Batman Forever and Batman & Robin.

"Come Think With Us."
mclay18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:44 PM   #162
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by verisimilitude View Post

..AGAIN???!!!

Please.

Elevator Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:49 PM   #163
Project862006
Banned User

was waiting for the resident score troll would show up

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 04:03 AM   #164
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

I love Zimmer so the more movies he scores the better. I cannot tell you how over the moon the I am Zimmer is scoring Spider-Man, as a Spider-Man fan first and foremost I'm ecstatic at that news. In fact, I've even liked Zimmer's score in movies I've mostly disliked (MoS/Inception).

MORE Zimmer! MORE!!!

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:26 PM   #165
Skrilla31
Side-Kick

You know sometimes I get the feeling that Zimmer has a better understanding of the tone and feel of these characters better than the filmmakers do.

Sometimes I listen to the MOS soundtrack and I could just see the ideal Superman movie playing out in my head, and it's just so radically different and BETTER than what we actually got. There's just this great sense of hope in Zimmer's score that was MISSING from the actual movie.

And to lesser degree, I feel the same way about his Batman score. When I listen his Batman score... a much different version of the character plays out in my head than the one we actually saw in Nolan's movies for some reason.

Skrilla31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:30 PM   #166
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrilla31 View Post
You know sometimes I get the feeling that Zimmer has a better understanding of the tone and feel of these characters better than the filmmakers do.

Sometimes I listen to the MOS soundtrack and I could just see the ideal Superman movie playing out in my head, and it's just so radically different and BETTER than what we actually got. There's just this great sense of hope in Zimmer's score that was MISSING from the actual movie.

And to lesser degree, I feel the same way about his Batman score. When I listen his Batman score... a much different version of the character plays out in my head than the one we actually saw in Nolan's movies for some reason.

What I get from Zimmer is scale, scope and a feel of epic.
This is why I am glad he is penning Spider-Man, sure, Spidey is the 'friendly neighbourhood' Spider-Man but I still want the score to feel epic.
BvS is epic, a meeting of titans and needs a score to reflect that.

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:15 AM   #167
Fedor
Side-Kick

When listening to the MOS soundtrack before watching the movie, i thought the movie would be more epic than any movie ever made. It is freaking Superman!? But the movie failed to deliver the epic feeling which the soundtrack did. Although i liked the movie i am kind of heartbroken of that.

What i am saying is that this time around, i am not longer concerned about who does the soundtrack. I think Zimmer should stay and put some pressure on Snyder to deliver a movie suitable for the epicness Hans delivers.

Fedor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:24 AM   #168
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
was waiting for the resident score troll would show up
Just because he does not like Zimmer does not make him a troll. I like Zimmer, since he can do some great stuff, but I was disappointed with most of his output for Batman and Superman.

Zimmer saying "I'll have to think about it" gives him an easy way out of scoring this film if he doesn't want to. And he probably should take it.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 09-25-2013, 02:50 PM   #169
Caped Crusader
The One Man Who Beat You

Zimmer & Bates

Caped Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:52 PM   #170
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

The thought of Bates scoring a big film like this makes me cringe. Zimmer has at least a loved and established 'sound' that's tied to several big franchises.

I would like a new, more classically-trained composer for this movie -- if I had my way. The story and scope of this film deserves something truly memorable and colorful.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 10-17-2013, 01:35 PM   #171
batman44
Go Speed GO

http://www.vulture.com/2013/10/zimme...el-sequel.html

If Zimmer doesn't coming back(I think he will), get John Powell or Don Davis.

<< Romans 1:16 >> For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.

Last edited by batman44; 10-17-2013 at 01:38 PM.
batman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #172
georgec
Not a hero

John Powell or John Ottman would be fantastic. Ottman's SR score was amazing.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
georgec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:58 PM   #173
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Zimmer really needs to pass of the Batman duties to a collaborator. It's clear that the most troubling aspect of this to him would be the Batman side of it. When he was doing press for MoS in June, he was very enthused about getting to further explore his Superman themes in future sequels.

Considering he worked with a collaborator pretty effectively in BB and TDK I'd be very surprised if this idea isn't floated his way. Like on TDK, James Newton Howard tackled all the Harvey Dent material and Zimmer tackled everything related to The Joker. I think it could be something similar here. Let Zimmer continue developing the MoS themes, have a collaborator build new Batman material from the ground up (I love the Don Davis pick myself but I doubt he'd get the gig). Then the two can work together for the more "neutral" cues.

Or as another option, hire a new composer and Zimmer can just oversee and produce it.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:06 PM   #174
the last son
Side-Kick

Only way I want Zimmer collaborating is if its with JNH they work really well together, otherwise let Zimmer give us a new Batman. Believe it or not Zimmer helps fill seats. I go see movies I usually wouldn't see to hear a Zimmer score.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #175
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

It'd be cool to see the two have a reunion, but I don't know if JNH would necessarily want to go back to the well with Batman either. Though it'd be interesting to hear what he could come up with if Zimmer was more hands off and just let him take it in a completely different direction. JNH doesn't have the baggage of having done over 3 hours of music for a Batman film all on his own like Zimmer does. Zimmer might finally be getting a little burnt out from all of this.

I have a feeling Snyder will beg and plead with him to stay though.