The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Old 09-24-2013, 03:02 PM   #151
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

Default Re: Batman's fighting style - new Batman, what should his fighting style be like ?

Watch Scott Adkins fight scenes. His scenes are done without wires, without CGI. It is absolutely ridiculous the action they put up on screen.

Here's an example from his most recent film which has received great reviews - Ninja 2.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

It is as thrilling as you could possibly imagine and all done with human skill.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:17 PM   #152
shauner111
Side-Kick

Default Re: Batman's fighting style - new Batman, what should his fighting style be like ?

Yeah something like that would be awesome.

shauner111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:55 PM   #153
LuisTX85
Señor Zorro

A fighting style and fight scene like this would be badass,Reminds me of the combat system in the Batman Arkham games
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 09-24-2013, 07:55 PM   #154
TDK elbowstrike
"I'm a man of my word..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwontsaveu View Post
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

I want batman's fight scenes to be as brutal as the Raid Redemption, but with the flow and fluidity that batman is known for like in the Arkham games. I don't think Michael bay will be able to pull it off but Zack Synder's actions scenes are always interesting to me.
If he fights this brutally in S/B, I would be ecstatic! Very brutal indeed.

This is a good starting point. Of course Batman will probably not be as flashy with spinning kicks and such, but he could certainly pound people faces into objects and flip people into chairs, tables, ect.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:10 PM   #155
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ Just one non-deadly choke, and I will have in my pants right now

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:00 PM   #156
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumcat View Post
Watch Scott Adkins fight scenes. His scenes are done without wires, without CGI. It is absolutely ridiculous the action they put up on screen.

Here's an example from his most recent film which has received great reviews - Ninja 2.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

It is as thrilling as you could possibly imagine and all done with human skill.
Okay, after watching that video I'm seeing the merits of Scott Adkins.
That was pretty damn cool !

I still feel that Batman should use a bit more precision striking and a much
"dirtier " range of techniques. Although I am against any kind of wire -work for the upcoming film, only one of the characters can fly - let's keep it that way.

Batmannerism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:07 AM   #157
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlamingCoco View Post
Anything but this
Hey, it's Anne. Automatic free pass. And dat strut.

I hope to see a fast, effective no nonsense Batman. And like I posted before, a Batman that uses tools to get the job done in combat, seamlessly.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:11 AM   #158
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

That Hathway scene looks ludicrous. No way her leg moved up that weird angle. And why did that man just stay down, wouldn't he follow her. Or do they mean to imply she KOed him.

Last edited by slumcat; 09-25-2013 at 05:27 AM.
slumcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:31 AM   #159
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
Or do they mean to imply she KOed him.
Yes.

Batman could fight like Bruce Lee against Soup.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:36 AM   #160
slumcat
The Non-Judgmentalist

That heel must have grazed him at best. It wouldn't even KO a teenage girl.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:54 PM   #161
DvilDog
Side-Kick

I thought it looked a little early myself. Phantom kick!!

DvilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:05 PM   #162
shauner111
Side-Kick

Who cares? Only obsessive fanboys are playing a scene like that in slow motion or creating a gif for a 2 second moment. All that matters is that it looks good in the film up to speed with the rest of the scene/s.

All action movies have this kind of stuff.

shauner111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #163
PacificBoy
Side-Kick

What should his fighting style be like? Deadly.

Failing that, this:

PacificBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:17 PM   #164
DvilDog
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post
Who cares? Only obsessive fanboys are playing a scene like that in slow motion or creating a gif for a 2 second moment. All that matters is that it looks good in the film up to speed with the rest of the scene/s.

Probably why I didn't notice it until I saw that gif

DvilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:29 PM   #165
titansupes
Side-Kick

Quote:
That Hathway scene looks ludicrous. No way her leg moved up that weird angle. And why did that man just stay down, wouldn't he follow her. Or do they mean to imply she KOed him.
It looks good in the movie, full speed and with the appropriate sound effect. Aka... The way it's supposed to be watched.

And yes, of course it was her KO'ing him. Did you really not get that? A very common language in movies.

Goodness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
Yes.

Batman could fight like Bruce Lee against Soup.
Holy crap, that's the strangest thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauner111 View Post

Exactly.

titansupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:00 PM   #166
iwontsaveu
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
Yes.

this gif is killing me

iwontsaveu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:56 AM   #167
D.P.
Banned User

I'll play along. Bruce is a master of every fighting style on earth. I'd like to see some of the more exotic moves in his skill set like nerve strikes and pressure points.

Hi-res scans below:

Last edited by D.P.; 10-01-2013 at 03:11 AM.
D.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 03:09 AM   #168
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

Give him a bracelet full of needles like in Kiss of the Dragon

I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
gohei_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:54 AM   #169
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.P. View Post
I'll play along. Bruce is a master of every fighting style on earth. I'd like to see some of the more exotic moves in his skill set like nerve strikes and pressure points.

Hi-res scans below:

Great collection of Bat-fu ! (that's probably what I should have called this thread).

Just as long as he doesn't use the five-point-palm-exploding-heart-technique (or Drunken kung fu, ugh !)

Personally, I agree that Batman would have some skills with pressure points, but in keeping with a more "realistic" (I didn't say real-life, I just said realistic), wouldn't want to see too much of that - but I'm biased about that stuff, because in real life it's damn hard to pull off, and
about 20% of the population are immune to nerve strikes anyway. I've seen top instructors come across someone like that who won't react
no matter how much they prod or poke specific spots ( guess some people
are just wired differently).

However, seeing Bats use painful joint-locks, carotid-artery chokes, and other precision strikes would be good - a more surgical use of pain,
certainly a bit more finesse than Bale's Batman - who went from being
pretty skillful in the first film, to a mere slugger in the last film).

That's just my opinion though,
(that Dim Mak stuff, finger of death......not convinced ).

Anyway, great post, thanks for weighing in !

Peace.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:00 AM   #170
D.P.
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmannerism View Post
Great collection of Bat-fu ! (that's probably what I should have called this thread).

Just as long as he doesn't use the five-point-palm-exploding-heart-technique (or Drunken kung fu, ugh !)

Personally, I agree that Batman would have some skills with pressure points, but in keeping with a more "realistic" (I didn't say real-life, I just said realistic), wouldn't want to see too much of that - but I'm biased about that stuff, because in real life it's damn hard to pull off, and
about 20% of the population are immune to nerve strikes anyway. I've seen top instructors come across someone like that who won't react
no matter how much they prod or poke specific spots ( guess some people
are just wired differently).

However, seeing Bats use painful joint-locks, carotid-artery chokes, and other precision strikes would be good - a more surgical use of pain,
certainly a bit more finesse than Bale's Batman - who went from being
pretty skillful in the first film, to a mere slugger in the last film).

That's just my opinion though,
(that Dim Mak stuff, finger of death......not convinced ).

Anyway, great post, thanks for weighing in !

Peace.
Thanks, no problem.

I originally posted it because I just thought it was cool, but after reading your comments, I went and research about it and it's pretty interesting. I admittedly don't know much about pressure points but it seems some poeple think it's fake?

This was something I found on Yahoo answers (Not the most reliable source, but eh):

Quote:
Nerve strikes DO work, and really any conversation otherwise is uneducated and takes a stance of "mysticism' as its source of skepticism. Every single time a person hits their funny bone on their ELBOW and their HAND goes numb and tingly they have struck a nerve to painful effect. Every doctor can tell you that the so-called "funny-bone" is not the only nerve in the entire body that when struck can profoundly effect that body part or another body part. Western medicine has not spent centuries looking up all of these points on the body and their effects, but Eastern medicine has, and very effectively at that. Scientific evidence does exist to validate the manipulation of nerves through numerous (American, British, and European) studies done on acupuncture, which have consistently validated acupuncture's claims. Another issue in this realm is the way the term "nerve strike" is meant- nerve strikes do not only concern the nervous system as there are many pinpointed strikes that can damage the circulatory system, the digestive system, and the respiratory sustem. A punch to the temple, a choke-hold on the arteries of the neck, and a punch to the solar plexus are all examples of these strikes. I prefer to use the term pressure-point strikes, because it is not always about nerves- the strikes mentioned above must be done accurately and precisely to work correctly. Everyone knows that a choke hold must press the two arteries on the side of the throat to work, just squeezing the throat with brute strength isn't enough. Why is it so easy for us to accept that if you block the blood flow to the brain you can die, but not easy for us to accept that you can send a signal through the nervous system to the same effect? I love when people say: "no one's proved the death touch/strike" Well of course not! Think about it: where in the world is it legal to kill a person for a scientific experiment? And if it was performed and documented what scientific body would accept such an immoral experiment? Also, what does a person who dies from a nerve strike look like? A stroke victim? A heart attack victim? Even after the fact there wouldn't be any evidence to prove it either way. I'm not saying that the death strike must or even does exist, all I'm saying is that it is perfectly logical and scientific to believe it does. If you can't even admit the possibility that such a thing exists then you are a narrow-minded person whose ancestors were probably screaming and arguing with the scientists and explorers who declared the world was round. As for the UFC, I take a lot of issue with the UFC because their rules are hypocritical: no pressure-point strikes, but temple strikes and choke-outs are OK. No joint manipulation, but arm-bars (which manipulate and possibly break the elbow joints) are OK. The conduct system for the UFC is extremely biased, and the simple answer to any person who believes that they are immune to nerve attacks is that they are egotistical. The Martial Arts are not restrictive and unchanging, but open to the possibilities and progress of time, so don't scoff with an air of elitism where you could more easily use your brain and contemplate the possibilities.
Happy Training!
Some pressure point videos I came across:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

So are these real?

Regardless, I think the sense of mystery surrounding it is what makes it awesome. In the comics it's written as a technique only a handful of people in the DC Universe know, due to the fact that it's so dangerous and must be guarded.

It's fun to let your imagination run wild a little bit and wonder if these techniques really do/could exist.

D.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:49 AM   #171
ЯɘvlveR
danneB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
right. this is what i meant in the wonder woman thread on the dc board about the fan film. slow mo, it looks like ****. and this is a big wb production no less.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:48 AM   #172
Scarlettess
and a 1..2..3..4

they look like they're fistbumping each other in the form of a horible high five with a jump.

‎ Part of the beauty of Spider-Man is he's covered head to toe, you can't see his skin colour or sexual orientation, and what's important is that he's a hero. He stands for the underdog and those that need protecting." - Andrew Garfield
Doctor: Ooh baby I'm beating out a samba!
Scarlettess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:48 AM   #173
Batmannerism
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.P. View Post
Thanks, no problem.

I originally posted it because I just thought it was cool, but after reading your comments, I went and research about it and it's pretty interesting. I admittedly don't know much about pressure points but it seems some poeple think it's fake?

This was something I found on Yahoo answers (Not the most reliable source, but eh):

Some pressure point videos I came across:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

So are these real?

Regardless, I think the sense of mystery surrounding it is what makes it awesome. In the comics it's written as a technique only a handful of people in the DC Universe know, due to the fact that it's so dangerous and must be guarded.

It's fun to let your imagination run wild a little bit and wonder if these techniques really do/could exist.

Just to clarify, you are right, if such a thing exists it's the sort of
technique Batman would have in his arsenal - I just wouldn't want to see it used, like "dim mak" in some cheesy kung fu flick. But maybe used sparingly it would look cool. So, I'm not criticising your post at all,
just stating my opinion that I don't want to see too much sillyness creep back into Batman's fighting.

As to the yahoo answers page, there are a lot of other good answers to the
question about nerve strikes like this......

Quote:
Nerve strikes do not work on everyone. I don't know where you got your information, but it's incorrect. I've never heard of the "1-X cranial nerve", unless of course you mean cranial nerve X. In which case, another name for it is the Vagus nerve. A strike to it could be deadly, however the bulk of the Vagus nerve lies in your skull... rather hard to touch it without surgery. There are stems of the Vagus nerve running down your neck, however.

Nerve strikes are good to know, but not good to rely on. They don't work on everyone and they will kill even fewer if any at all. If you THINK you know 46 ways to kill by nerve strikes, you need a new teacher.
Source(s):
Training in Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu (Ninjutsu and Bujutsu) and other martial arts.
1 Comment

Booyakasha answered 5 years ago
Nerves are great attack points - but they vary from person to person - which can make reliance on them dangerous. There is a nerve in the forearm that is used in Aikido with a technique called Yonkyo. For some people, it works gangbusters. One of my sensei's will take the technique and flop around like a fish being electrocuted. For me, it's just kinda annoying - and this is why we don't teach it.

Sure, we are aware of it intellectuality, but there is little point in training to do it if it only works some of the time on some people. It would suck to move into it unconsciously and find out they guy you did it on is looking at you like you are a moron. Other nerve strikes are more effective to a greater part of the population. It's fun when you hit a nerve and their arm flops useless - it's much less fun when you hit the nerve and the guy says "oww" and then proceeds to beat the crap out of you.
As for myself, I'm not saying nerve strikes don't exist, and the body certainly has weak points (floating ribs, groin, throat, vagus nerve, eyes, temple the list goes on) I think you'd do much better poking someone in the eye than relying on a precision nerve strike that supposedly will render him unconscious.

The thing about those videos is that in all of them, the student being demonstrated on is completely cooperating. Try doing that to someone who's not cooperating, let alone someone who's jumped you from behind by surprise, or is twice your size and picked up a bar stool, or even someone your own size who is reasonably competent in fisticuffs, determined to beat you up and attacking you full out. You simply don't have time to use precision strikes 99% of the time in real life.
If any of those instructors can take on a live opponent (who's not a student) and take them out with a nerve strike in real life, then I'll be
more than prepared to accept the validity of nerve strikes.

The Aikidoka who mentioned Yonkyo, generally that works on me, but for some weird reason nikkyo doesn't work all that well on me. The same goes for nerve strikes, put your finger behind someone's jaw, just below the ear and push up - most people will squeal- I had a student who didn't react at all. I blacked out once by a sharp strike to my vagus nerve (although I was throwing a punch on a command, so the guy who struck me, knew what was coming -just like the students in the videos).

As far as critiques of the UFC, in a sense MMA fighters do target the body's weak points (with carotid chokes, and joint locks), but if precision nerve strikes were so effective, don't you think someone would be using them ?
The truth is that while a nerve-striker would be trying to set up "spleen-point-8" or some other fancy technique, they'd be getting knocked on their ass by a left hook, hobbled by a Thai kick to the thigh (no pun intended) or slammed to the ground with a double leg take-down.

While nerve strikes are fun idea, in real life simplicity is beauty.
Hell, forget the UFC, even in a street fight where things are going crazy
one of the best techniques is a head-butt. How many Krav maga practicioners rely on nerve strikes as part of their primary arsenal ?

Again, I'm not saying nerve strikes ain't possible, but you'd need to be
Batman to pull them off -which is fortunate that Batman only tries them in comic books and movies. Wait, Batman doesn't really exist ? Kidding !

Anyway, your post was cool, and Batman could definitely use joint-locks, chokes and maybe even a strike to a major nerve (eg the vagus nerve) or even a "karate chop" to the carotid artery, which actually does work (if you can land it). I could even go for a nerve strike, provided that Batman attacked someone from behind, or by surprise, or it was just one on one, with a far less competent opponent - but otherwise let's keep it real...well as real as Batman gets anyway.

Cheers.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #174
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Like this. Minus the sticks, of course.

TheFlamingCoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:02 PM   #175
markaudette
Is Not a Unique Snowflake

Post Re: Batman's fighting style - new Batman, what should his fighting style be like ?

I would enjoy seeing a scene where Bruce Wayne, in full business suit attire, is witnessed being jumped by a gang of thugs. And he has to get himself out of that jam in the full view of other people without using all the martial arts skills he was taught by the League of Shadows. In other words, watch Bruce disarm the thugs with one arm tied behind his back.

markaudette is offline   Reply With Quote