The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 11:56 PM   #626
B
[insert witty comment]

Default Re: Official UFC Thread - Part 5

What an epic title fight, Jones had to dig deep because Gustafsson came to fight.

Very close fight, I mean even if Gustafsson had won the decision I wouldn't have disputed it. I had it 2-2 going into the final round & I thought Jones won the 5th.

Whichever judge scored that fight 49-46 Jones though.. I mean that's ridiculous, every round was close & you could make a case for either fighter winning each individual round, but you'd need to be incredibly biased to think Jones had won 4 rounds to 1 in my opinion.

Old 09-21-2013, 11:57 PM   #627
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
Gus didn't get robbed. Jones won that. Rogan was biased as hell, and I'm sure that influenced a lot of people. The first and second were far closer than what they were commentating it was, and Jones straight up took the last two rounds. I can see an argument for Gus winning, but that in no way is a robbery.
Bias? How about the replay only showing Jones landing a missed elbow and a jab in the third round? The same round where Alexander lit him up with combinations lol

OVERRATED

Like I've been saying for years now. Without his reach, Jones is very mortal in the striking realm against bigger opponents. And fans think he can beat JDS at HW? Lolwut.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
Old 09-22-2013, 12:07 AM   #628
E-Man
Cooler than your daddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayApex View Post
Bias? How about the replay only showing Jones landing a missed elbow and a jab in the third round? The same round where Alexander lit him up with combinations lol

OVERRATED

Like I've been saying for years now. Without his reach, Jones is very mortal in the striking realm against bigger opponents. And fans think he can beat JDS at HW? Lolwut.
Overrated? Ha! C'mon son. So a guy breaks the title defense record that hasn't been sniffed in 5 years, and he's overrated? Even if you bring up Vitor and Chael he still dominated three top fighters and beat a 4th. There's no way that's overrated because only a few MMA fighters have ever been that good.

Plus Rogan acted like everything Gus did was devastating while Jones was just hanging in there. Even when Gus missed because Jones rolled they still acted like they were huge shots.

Gus did a damn fine job, but he still lost. Jones used his reach, but he also mixed it up in addition to that. Your statement about him being nothing without reach is just silly considering I don't see Stefan Struve with the HW title around his waist right now. Where is Corey Hill at? Why did Brock get his ass kicked by Cain when his reach was vastly superior? Jones is great in addition to his reach because he works at everything. It's a great weapon, but he's won fights in so many ways now that people should've gotten past leaning on the reach thing by now.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:08 AM   #629
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Regardless, I scored it 48-47 for Jones. Gus played it safe each time he was in the clinch with Jon, and it may have cost him points. Seriously? No uppercuts or hooks while having his foot, Gus? Come on man. He was likely trying to avoid a big knee or elbow but Jon still ended up landing the spinning elbow. So it made Alexander's efforts appear in vain.

Gus is a solid prospect but he let this one slip away from him. Shame.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
Old 09-22-2013, 12:24 AM   #630
Harley2004
Side-Kick

Gus, landed the much cleaner, better shots in the first 3 rounds. That's why a 49-46, card is corrupt.

I think Jones, would win a rematch though. He had to be surprised how good his hands and boxing were in the early part of the fight. Jones, almost had him knocked out late.

The Swede, won though, 3-2. I thought it was fairly clear to call.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:28 AM   #631
Project862006
Banned User

^same score i had

Old 09-22-2013, 12:46 AM   #632
brainchild81
Fighting crime...

I got Jones winning 2,4 & 5. Very close tho. If Gus got the nod I wouldn't have been pissed. Great fight

See Black Dynamite

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Under your watch, 50% of marriages end in divorce &the other 50% in death!
Old 09-22-2013, 01:10 AM   #633
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I scored it 3-2 Jones, but whatever, ain't a judge. It was a legit close fight. Fight for the ages, both guys left everything they had in the cage.

I hope we see a rematch at some point. I say do it in Sweden.

- CM Punk
Old 09-22-2013, 03:16 AM   #634
CrypticOne
HiiiPoWeR

Just watched it. I scored it for Jones (3-2), but yeah, very close fight.

Very nice finish for Barao. I hope Cruz comes back soon.

Old 09-22-2013, 03:29 AM   #635
Project862006
Banned User

i think they should do a rematch i don't think glover has the tools of gus that gave jones so much trouble

gus has very fast hands and a better striker and he moves alot and knows how to close the distance and is a very rangy fighter

all Glover does is throw bombs

Old 09-22-2013, 04:50 AM   #636
B
[insert witty comment]

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainchild81 View Post
I got Jones winning 2,4 & 5. Very close tho. If Gus got the nod I wouldn't have been pissed. Great fight
Exactly the same rounds I had Jones winning & exactly the same mentality I had towards Gus potentially winning.

I think maybe only the 4th round was the only definitive one where Jones had Gus hurt. The rest of them you could make a case for either fighter.. that judge though that scored it 4 rounds to 1 in favour of Jones I find kinda annoying. This was a 3-2 fight. Who had the 3 & who had the 2 is up for debate, but it certainly wasn't 4-1 in my opinion.

Regardless of the outcome, it was an excellent fight. Jones has excellent striking, but this fight painted some holes in his game on how reliant on his reach to keep guys at bay. When he tried to extend his arm that usually stops guys coming in, he was opening himself up because Gustafsson was still in range of him or was able to close that distance quicker than anyone else due to his size & speed. The bottom line is Jones needs to work on being a little lighter on his feet &/or developing some head movement.

Old 09-22-2013, 04:58 AM   #637
Project862006
Banned User

just that 49-46 got me kinda irritated no way jones won 4 rounds lol

Old 09-22-2013, 07:30 PM   #638
I'm Venom
Anti-Hero

Teixeira is a good option, but Gustafsson and Jones should rematch. Close fight, and Gustafsson looked better than anyone else has so far. No way did Jones win four rounds of that fight. I scored it 48-47 Gustafsson, but round two could've swung either way. Jones is so composed, but he seemed a little stuck for ideas when the kicks weren't backing Gustafsson up and the takedowns weren't coming. Gustafsson has a chin of steel. What I will say though is that this fight seemed to demonstrate that Jones isn't the unbeatable freak that people say he is in the division. It's clear to say that the biggest advantage he has over the rest of that division is his reach. Once that was neutralized, a lot of his dominance disappeared, and instead he was getting beat to the punch a lot and but for one perfect spinning back elbow could've lost the fight. Does anyone really think Velasquez would have much trouble with Jones? Jones had to go so deep to get that one takedown.

If Gustafsson was the champion going into the fight, he would’ve walked out the champion as well… 48-47 is the correct score, neither guy dominated or was overwhelmed. It was as even as you can get and would’ve been hard to take the belt off the champion going into the fight. It was close, and there’s an argument for either side. One of the guys I watched with scored 2, 4, and 5 for Jones, and I couldn’t argue with it, nor did he argue with me scoring 1, 2, and 3 for Gustafsson.

Last edited by I'm Venom; 09-23-2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:53 PM   #639
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I think they will do the rematch on Super Bowl weekend.

- CM Punk
Old 09-26-2013, 02:53 AM   #640
B
[insert witty comment]

I don't think they'll do a rematch.

They might have done one if Gustafsson had won the title, but because he lost, there is no substance to a rematch, not when they've a challenger already ready in waiting.

This is a similar situation as Silva/Sonnen 1, if Chael Sonnen couldn't get a rematch with Silva immediately after his performance I highly doubt the UFC will gofor Silva vs Gustafsson 2.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:55 PM   #641
I'm Venom
Anti-Hero

Anybody given much thought to who they might put against GSP if he beats Hendricks? Demian Maia maybe or Matt Brown if he can pull off an upset? He's close to topping Silva's consecutive defense record should he beat Hendricks and whoever next, he'd be level on 10.

Last edited by I'm Venom; 09-26-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:00 AM   #642
Project862006
Banned User

well ufc just cut yushin okami even tho he was 3-1 in his last 4 fights

Old 09-28-2013, 01:51 PM   #643
I'm Venom
Anti-Hero

Bisping out of the Munoz fight...Machida in! I hope Bisping is okay. He's been durable over the years.

Old 09-28-2013, 01:57 PM   #644
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Now Tim Kennedy needs a new opponent.

- CM Punk
Old 09-28-2013, 02:50 PM   #645
I'm Venom
Anti-Hero

Okami would be the perfect guy to give Kennedy a test in the main event of the upcoming Fight for the Troops card. He's a big enough name to headline a card like that, he'd be the perfect replacement.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:27 PM   #646
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Okami's not really a draw and most of his big fights are boring as hell.

- CM Punk
Old 09-29-2013, 12:25 AM   #647
I'm Venom
Anti-Hero

Akiyama has lost his last 4 fights and is 1-4 in the UFC. Okami was a contender, especially with a new champion.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:43 AM   #648
Project862006
Banned User

yeah he had just beat belcher and lombard before his last loss

shady ufc business as usual

Old 09-29-2013, 01:57 AM   #649
Slushy
The Man

Earlier today at Mr. Olympia, I got to meet Evans, Penn, Hughes, Edgar, and Sonnen. They were all great guys and I had an easier time and better experience meeting UFC Fighters here than at the actual UFC Expo, lol.

Shortly after I met Sonnen, I was walking around the convention floor when I saw a bunch of security guards following somebody to Sonnen's booth and then this took place starting at the 0:17 mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xbX-qCkXg8

It happened so fast I thought it was legit (the poor girl that was in charge of the line was scared sh**less) until I noticed there was a man that was with Wanderlei's group holding a professional camera recording everything and then I was mad when I came to the realization right then and there that it was a work!

Last edited by Slushy; 09-29-2013 at 03:06 AM.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:43 AM   #650
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

LOL @ Wanderlei, such a troll.

Dude, just fight Sonnen. Don't try and fight him in public.

- CM Punk
Closed Thread