The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 09-26-2013, 11:45 PM   #76
Loki882
Side-Kick

Default Re: Future TV shows from Marvel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
I love how you act as if writers somehow never addressed that. They addressed all of that in Year One and in many stories since then. In Year One, the GCPD suspected Bruce but their theory fell flat due to everything Bruce planned out ahead of time (alibis, the playboy act, etc.).
Nope, still not buying that it would fool everyone. Some people sure, but not as many people as it apparently does.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:53 PM   #77
SoNicRaDiATioN
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by T"Challa View Post
Its a pretty intricate universe they've built and they probably don't want to spread themselves too thin. Its easy to forget that despite all their crazy success, they're still a pretty small studio.
I think this would be smart. Let's see what kind of traction AoS is getting a month or two in before going ahead with another project. Marvel have three major films coming out in the next 11 months (five if you include Spidey and X-Men), so it's not like Marvel needs another TV show to service the fans. This isn't an arms race.

SoNicRaDiATioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:57 PM   #78
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Alright Marvel, it's time to step it up. DC's got Flash, Gotham, Constantine, and maybe Booster Gold all coming down the pipe within the next two years. You've got Agents of SHIELD and maybe Agent Carter, but it's time to get a superhero show on TV too. Daredevil PLEASE. Like seriously, who at Marvel isn't seeing that Daredevil is perfect for TV?? Really hope we get that before Cloak and Dagger and whatever else they've got in development.
Eh, "stepping up" is usually the burden of the one playing from from behind. Marvel's in front. All those shows that DC's now rushing into production because Marvel wamboozled everyone once again with AOS are mostly unproven. While I'd like a DD series or more as much as the next fanboy, I don't want to see Marvel getting into an IP arms race with DC just because the latter is being their usual reactionary selves.

Saitou Hajime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:17 AM   #79
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Nope, still not buying that it would fool everyone. Some people sure, but not as many people as it apparently does.
Look at it this way. Bruce Wayne is DC's Charlie Sheen minus the drugs. If a genius detective vigilante trained in all practical areas appeared out of nowhere in LA beating up thugs to a pulp, what would make you think Charlie Sheen is this vigilante? On top of that, Charlie Sheen would also have concrete alibis to whenever this vigilante is spotted in another part of town.

There would be literally zero evidence that Charlie Sheen and this vigilante are the same people. Tell the cops your theory and they will do two things:
1) They'll laugh in your face.
2) They will make you sit down and logically explain to you why it would be impossible based on the evidence they gathered. Examples can include Sheen being halfway across the world while this vigilante was still active/spotted in LA, Sheen being on the phone while cops are staring directly at the vigilante (Alfred can impersonate Bruce's voice), sometimes Sheen and the vigilante even being spotted in the same place at the same time, etc.

As for his parents' murder being publicly known, that goes back to the playboy act. Everyone has their own crazy way of coping with such mental scarring. In Bruce's case, everyone thinks he acts like a stupid immature playboy because he saw his parents get murdered - they think that's his crazy way of dealing with the loss because they never saw his real crazy way of dealing with the loss.

Your only valid point is Batman first appearing around the same time Bruce comes back to Gotham. And even then, the first reports of a "bat man" came several months after Bruce came back.

Sorry for being so off-topic.

Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:25 AM   #80
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
It certainly was - but it has outlived its usefulness.
How has it outlived its usefulness? For certain characters it has (i.e. Iron Man and Cap). But street-level heroes (Batman, Spider-Man, Daredevil) and heroes who being human at heart is an important part of them (Spider-Man, Superman) will always need a secret identity.

Last edited by Shikamaru; 09-27-2013 at 12:32 AM.
Shikamaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:45 AM   #81
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post

Law enforcement agencies us advanced facial recognition software routinely to identify criminals. A few good videos of Batman in action would be enough material to blow his identity very quickly since his entire lower face is exposed. He's not Superman so he doesn't move fast enough to blur his image on camera.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:42 AM   #82
S. Grundy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Alright Marvel, it's time to step it up. DC's got Flash, Gotham, Constantine, and maybe Booster Gold all coming down the pipe within the next two years. You've got Agents of SHIELD and maybe Agent Carter, but it's time to get a superhero show on TV too. Daredevil PLEASE. Like seriously, who at Marvel isn't seeing that Daredevil is perfect for TV?? Really hope we get that before Cloak and Dagger and whatever else they've got in development.
Quantity does not equal quality.

S. Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:36 AM   #83
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
How has it outlived its usefulness? For certain characters it has (i.e. Iron Man and Cap). But street-level heroes (Batman, Spider-Man, Daredevil) and heroes who being human at heart is an important part of them (Spider-Man, Superman) will always need a secret identity.
Perhaps I spent too much of my youth reading Superman comics in which the character uses super-ventriloquism and/or super-hypnotism in order to, yet again, put one over on ace reporter Lois Lane. But given the various technologies commonly available to law enforcement agencies, the media and the general public, the idea that someone could keep their identity secret from someone who had the means and the motivation to find it is nonsensical.

At the very least it is important to update the old secret identity trope. The Avengers addressed this to a certain degree by having SHIELD responsible for keeping prying eyes away from Banner, and perhaps the Man of Steel sequel will use government intervention as a way to explain why no one who can profit from the information notices that the burly reporter and the flying alien share a remarkable number of facial similarities. For DD, I like the idea that his identity is an open secret of sorts, but higher ups in law enforcement welcome his help and don't expend much energy trying to catch Matt Murdock putting on his devil horns.

Zarex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:28 AM   #84
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

I hope that hints of the Punisher's hits can be mentioned on the SHIELD show.

Hypestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:47 AM   #85
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
I think it would be great to show how much the new heroes need to learn and to establish DD's rep in the MCU. I think Daredevil would work wonderfully as a Batman-type of vigilante all other street level heroes look up to.
The problem is that Daredevil *isn't* a Batman-style vigilante, at least not in the sense that would possibly help while fighting Luke or Danny. Which is to say, he neither has nor uses gadgets, which are the only thing that would let him hurt Luke at all, or stand a chance of countering Danny's superior martial arts abilities.

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:59 AM   #86
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
I actually agree with this. However, I do think the secret identity *as default* has outlived its usefulness, as has the idea of "secret identity as absolutely sacrosanct." Characters should have secret identities only if there is actually a good reason, and it should only be as strong as it actually needs to be. Note that Daredevil's secret ID has, of late, become somewhat of an open secret. . . which actually still kind of works for the guy.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:01 AM   #87
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Law enforcement agencies us advanced facial recognition software routinely to identify criminals. A few good videos of Batman in action would be enough material to blow his identity very quickly since his entire lower face is exposed. He's not Superman so he doesn't move fast enough to blur his image on camera.
Which is completely separate from "his secret identity is completely obvious," which implies that people should be able to figure it out *without* technical woojibbery. This could be readily patched up with either a full face mask, some kind of technical trickery to fuzz camera images, or just not having him out and about in circumstances where good pictures could be taken. Its not nearly the same magnitude of a fridge logic problem as Superman.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #88
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

Quote:
Exactly. Spot on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Grundy View Post
Quantity does not equal quality.
It does when people like to throw about Box Office numbers

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #89
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
The problem is that Daredevil *isn't* a Batman-style vigilante, at least not in the sense that would possibly help while fighting Luke or Danny. Which is to say, he neither has nor uses gadgets, which are the only thing that would let him hurt Luke at all, or stand a chance of countering Danny's superior martial arts abilities.
Your correct in saying that comic book Matt would not be able to defeat Luke or Danny in one on one combat. What I am saying is that if a HFH TV show ever came to pass, I would like to have the writers include a veteran "been there, done that" vigilante who can show the Year 1 versions of Power Man and Iron Fist how woefully unprepared they are for the task at hand. And I think that DD would work wonderfully in that role.

Zarex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:44 PM   #90
Tymminator
The Main Man in Minnesota

Actually, in the comics, DD has actually stood his ground in the comics with Iron Fist, I can't recall him ever fighting Luke though.

This may have been mentioned before, but in case it has not, what about a Marvel Knights show, each week, a rotating focus on a hero? One week, Law And Order-ish-Daredevil, Next week, Vampire hunting Blade, the next, some adventure with Moon Knight, etc.

Tymminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:01 PM   #91
CyclopsWasRight
Well, he was.

They've got a SHIELD show without Nick Fury or any Marvel characters and people are lapping it up

They'd probably do a Heroes For Hire led by Misty Knight. Why put heroes in when they don't need to?

(90%-100% = Excellent. 80%-90% = Great. 70%-80% = Very Good. 60%-70% = Good. 50%-60% = Okay.
40%-50% = Mediocre. 30%-40% = Poor. 20%-30% = Bad. 0%-20% = Awful)
CyclopsWasRight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:32 PM   #92
Rock Sexton
Go get me a Juicebox!

Quote:
Daredevil PLEASE. Like seriously, who at Marvel isn't seeing that Daredevil is perfect for TV?? Really hope we get that before Cloak and Dagger and whatever else they've got in development.
Funny you mention that. I think you'll be getting your wish soon.

My Official "X-Men: DOFP" Review - http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=909
Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:17 PM   #93
Dr. Evil
Gamora

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclopsWasRight View Post
They've got a SHIELD show without Nick Fury or any Marvel characters and people are lapping it up

They'd probably do a Heroes For Hire led by Misty Knight. Why put heroes in when they don't need to?
Black women in MCU need love too!

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:01 PM   #94
Tymminator

They had an idea for SHIELD, so they went for it. There is talk of a Agent Carter series. That said, that does not mean those are the ONLY things they are thinking of.

I still like the Marvel Knights idea, also SHIELD better showcase some heroes as well. Mockingbird and Taskmaster are serious no-brainers with their links to SHIELD from the comics, plus SHIELD has been known to use Metas several times for special situations.

Old 09-28-2013, 03:09 AM   #95
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
Funny you mention that. I think you'll be getting your wish soon.

Please don't play with my emotions lol. You seriously got the inside scoop?

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:57 AM   #96
Tymminator

Quote:
I hear that.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:08 AM   #97
Rock Sexton
Go get me a Juicebox!

Quote:
I'm being serious. I'm not really known for having access to info like this, but you know I'm not into BS'ing and wasting people's time on here either. Nothing is a guarantee in life, but the project is on the table. I was hoping my connection was going to land a movie gig because I am dying to go on a set visit. Ah well. LOL

When I sat and thought about it, the DD franchise does seem well-suited for a TV series though. It's also a safe route to build up some good faith in the character given how badly the original film bombed.

My Official "X-Men: DOFP" Review - http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=909

Last edited by Rock Sexton; 09-28-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:24 AM   #98
Lord
All Mighty

Didn't it make twice it's budget back? And which other projects for TV do they have under the table by the way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:34 AM   #99
O_B_Juan
Your only hope

Time traveling X-men. It would be like Dr. Who with X-men.

O_B_Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:39 AM   #100
zeroapoc
Eldritch Abomination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Didn't it make twice it's budget back?
Yes. DD was NOT a financial bomb, just a critical one.

zeroapoc is offline   Reply With Quote