Default Re: The Official Musical Theatre Thread II

Once was amazing.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:34 AM   #303
Alexia Dark
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
Exactly. It's, "I've never been able to satisfy my lust for flesh and I'm not going to do that to you right now" because he loves her. Also, he is afraid of intimacy in some ways. Notice how in the show (i.e. not the sexed-up movie) he spends the entire "Music of the Night" attempting to touch her, but he can't bring himself to even just place his hand on her hip or shoulder. He has a fear of intimacy that coupled with his love for Christine means he would not do that to her.
I've always taken the "has also denied me..." line to mean "I'm repulsive, and therefore have never had sex". Not that he wouldn't, but that he'd never had the opportunity. It doesn't seem to me that he intends to be celibate out of respect for her during his crazy fantasy of their marriage at all. But it triggers a related memory of hate, a more important issue to him, and he never has the chance to act on it.

On another subject: The latest casting news on the replacement of Norman Osborn in the Spider-Man musical. He is my favourite musical theatre actor. And the production photos of him in costume when he takes over will no doubt scar me for life. Of all the shows to bring him back to Broadway, why did it have to be that? I actually kind of freaked out when I heard about it. And to think, a few theatres away, some pop rehash of a role he originated will be playing, while he is stuck in one of the ugliest costumes ever created in a show with possibly the worst score in the last ten years.

Alexia Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:38 PM   #304
tzarinna
С новым годом!

I just saw Million Dollar Quartet last night, awesome! The dude playing Cash is off the chain!

White Christmas is playing as well, fun musical and great costumes.

tzarinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #305
Pink Ranger
We Are Hunter Rider

Thought I would revive this thread with a question:

I want to get Rent on DVD, but can anyone tell me which is better, the film version or the filmed live on Broadway version?

Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Pink Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:59 PM   #306
JP
Smelly

Broadway, obviously.

JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #307
Pink Ranger
We Are Hunter Rider

Cool beans, thanks.

Notice to all Hype members: Put down your phone and/or game controller right now and pick up a copy of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael Chabon. A must-read for anybody who visits this website.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:12 PM   #308
Marx
We are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

I really enjoyed the Tonys.

Old 09-07-2013, 05:44 PM   #309
Pink Ranger
We Are Hunter Rider

So I will be visiting NYC at the end of September. I am going to see some shows by myself, and have a short list of shows I can be happy to see on a given night (i.e. I'd be happy seeing Once, Pippin, Mormon, Wicked etc. depending on what's available).

I know about rush tickets at TKTS, but can anybody in the know let me know if there are alternate/better ways to get rush same-day tickets for a given show?

Old 09-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #310
Widowmaker
Gone Too Long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Ranger View Post
So I will be visiting NYC at the end of September. I am going to see some shows by myself, and have a short list of shows I can be happy to see on a given night (i.e. I'd be happy seeing Once, Pippin, Mormon, Wicked etc. depending on what's available).

I know about rush tickets at TKTS, but can anybody in the know let me know if there are alternate/better ways to get rush same-day tickets for a given show?
You either have TKTS or Theatermania.com, and in the restaurants (more often than not McDonalds) around Times Square there are discount brochures.

Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:38 PM   #311
Pink Ranger
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker View Post
You either have TKTS or Theatermania.com, and in the restaurants (more often than not McDonalds) around Times Square there are discount brochures.
Lol, didn't know about the brochures, thanks. Might have to enter a McDonald's for the first time in years!

Old 09-08-2013, 11:57 AM   #312
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

You can also find discounts on BroadwayBox.com, or if you sign up on Playbill.com. Mormon is still sold out, but they have lotteries before every show, and they also have standing room, although I don't know how early you have to get there for that.

Pippin and Once have rush tickets available when the box office opens, and I think the lines for those start pretty early. I saw lines outside the box office both of them at around 8am on my way to work a few weeks ago.

Matilda has a lottery, and I think they have $42 tickets available if you don't win.

September is a pretty good time to visit, since its past the summer tourist season, so you'll probably have better luck with TKTS. This week, Pippin, Once, and Kinky Boots were all up there (Once usually is, but the other two were busy this summer).

There's also a TKTS app, and it will tell you what's up there and what the discount is for that day.

Old 09-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #313
Pink Ranger
We Are Hunter Rider

Great intel dany, thanks.

I guess I can infer that Wicked might be easier to get tickets too, as it's been running forever.

What's the availability like for Mathilda, BTW? It's not on my list, but the boss I am travelling with might want to see it.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:29 PM   #314
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Wicked is easier to get tickets to, but it's still never up on TKTS, and I don't see discounts for it very often (if at all). Best bet is to try the lottery or get them in advance if you can.

Same goes for Matilda. I've never seen it up on TKTS, and I haven't seen discounts since it was in previews, but they seem to have tickets available fairly easily. Again, it's good idea to check in advance on that one.

The toughest ticket is still Book of Mormon, I believe.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #315
tzarinna
С новым годом!

I just saw Book of Mormon, loved it! It just left DC and I was able to work and watch it 3 nights in a row. I'm hooked. I can't wait until it returns in 2015.

tzarinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:49 PM   #316
Pink Ranger
We Are Hunter Rider

Thanks all for your advice re: my trip to NYC. I am flying home tonight, but these last few days were incredible.

Kinky Boots: fantastic as pure entertainment

But Pippin: OMG. Overall (accounting for source material, creative and conceptual execution, and individual performances) it is the best musical theatre production I have ever seen in my life. If the Tonys didn't have separate categories for new and revived musicals, Pippin would have beaten Boots for best musical, hands down.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:01 PM   #317
JP
Smelly

Easily! Pippin was the best show that season. Without any question or hesitation.

JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:05 PM   #318
Pink Ranger
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Easily! Pippin was the best show that season. Without any question or hesitation.
I am almost certain Bob Fosse is looking up at this production and nodding in approval, from his luxury penthouse apartment in hell.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #319
Pink Ranger
We Are Hunter Rider

This news has me excited. I know musicals like this are hit and miss, and if they miss, they miss BIG, but I think the material is perfect for a musical.

I hope the Disney connection means Stephen Schwartz will work on this. He's my favorite musical theatre composer.

'The Princess Bride' headed for the stage
http://jam.canoe.ca/Theatre/2013/11/...ainmenttheatre

Last edited by Pink Ranger; 11-19-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:35 PM   #320
flickchick85
Loose Seal

Saw the pre-Broadway tryout for If/Then with Idina Menzel this past weekend. I liked it. The plot definitely has some kinks to work out, especially in the 2nd act, imo. The concept is basically the same as that Gwenyth Paltrow movie from the '90's, Sliding Doors, but it's not as obnoxious as that movie got to be. There were a few songs I really liked (it's from the guys who did Next to Normal) and of course Idina's amazing, so I'll definitely be looking out for the cast recording once it hits Broadway.

And Pink Ranger, The Princess Bride and Stephen Schwartz would be a match made in Heaven. Great call.

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110
flickchick85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:03 PM   #321
Pink Ranger
We Are Hunter Rider

Matthew James Thomas as Wesley!!

Old 12-01-2013, 06:39 PM   #322
Pink Ranger
We Are Hunter Rider

I'm od'ing on musical theatre this month. Going to see the touring production of Once on Wednesday, and two weeks later I'm seeing Ramin K. in the Toronto production of Les Miz.

To be honest, Les Miz kind of bores me now, but I am seeing it for Ramin.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:16 PM   #323
Marx
We are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Les Mis BORES you?

Old 12-01-2013, 07:22 PM   #324
Pink Ranger
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marx View Post
Les Mis BORES you?

After seeing the show four times, including twice in London, the movie, both DVD concerts and the umpteenth version of On My Own and I Dreamed a Dream at musical showcases, yeah, the rain kind of got on my powder a bit. But Ramin K. puts my ass in any seat.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #325
Pink Ranger
We Are Hunter Rider

Wow, I just got back from seeing Once.

I've never been to such an earnest musical, with such a big heart before. Every actor seemed so invested in their role.

The Girl had a strange accent that sounded more like Dutch Bjork than someone from Eastern Europe (the actress is actually English) but the rest of the show was so strong I didn't really care.

Last edited by Pink Ranger; 12-04-2013 at 05:00 PM.