The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

View Poll Results: So this movie should really be called...
Superman vs Batman (or Batman vs Superman) 9 5.49%
World's finest 64 39.02%
Superman/Batman: World's finest 39 23.78%
Man of steel: world's finest 21 12.80%
Man of tomorrow 7 4.27%
Superman: shadow of the bat 4 2.44%
Man of steel: gods among us 2 1.22%
other 18 10.98%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 08:50 PM   #601
Bathead
The Oldest Geek

Default Re: Batman Vs Superman: can't we find a better title than that? Any suggestions?

Besides, "World's Finest" has a long history as a title for Superman and Batman team-ups, near fifty years. There are gonna be a lot more than a few people that will recognize it for what it is.

*splat*
Old 09-28-2013, 09:33 PM   #602
Wheels
Explicit Ambrose Violence

Default Re: Batman Vs Superman: can't we find a better title than that? Any suggestions?

Well, I mean I voted for Superman/Batman: World's Finest but I don't mind picking on it a little.

Quote:
Because I'm a total mark and the first words I ever spoke when I came out of my mother's wound, was that one day, I was going to be the WCW Champion.
-- Vince Russo
Old 09-28-2013, 09:37 PM   #603
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

I'd be fine with that, even if it is a little redundant.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:07 PM   #604
The Guard
Side-Kick

Quote:
The context is...that it's the best

The title says nothing else.
The context is that the movie is about the world's finest...heroes. Cities. Corporations. And so on, and so forth. Or those who appear to be the world's finest, and their dark sides.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night

Last edited by The Guard; 09-28-2013 at 10:12 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:09 PM   #605
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ Or the above. I'd love it if it was a split poster of Metropolis/Gotham and their respective superheroes.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:30 PM   #606
TheBat812
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Scout View Post
I don't see how WF is confusing, bland, or in any way undesirable. Cheesy, maybe, but certainly no cheesier than "Man of Steel" or "The Dark Knight".
I've never liked the "World's Finest" title, personally. It feels incredibly self important. I understand it, but I don't really like it.

Old 09-28-2013, 11:02 PM   #607
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Did people ever complain about The Avengers?

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Old 09-29-2013, 12:01 AM   #608
John-An
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Scout View Post
"World's Finest? The hell does that mean?"

*sees trailer*

"Oh...oh...OH!"
TRUE

Old 09-29-2013, 06:19 AM   #609
Bathead
The Oldest Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBat812 View Post
I've never liked the "World's Finest" title, personally. It feels incredibly self important. I understand it, but I don't really like it.
I don't see how. It's not like it's Batman and Superman calling themselves the World's Finest, it's just the title of the books where they teamed up. That kind of self promoting superlayive title is nothing different than many of the self promoting superlative titles that comics have always used.

*splat*
Old 09-29-2013, 07:30 AM   #610
regwec
Shakespearo

Sure, but "World's Finest" is unusual in that it doesn't encompass any other concept. You can contrast that with something like "The Amazing Spiderman", which is a bit more meaningful because it contains a nominative noun, making the subject definite.

The title "Awesome!" could be a substitute for "World's Finest", at least in terms of its objective meaning.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:36 AM   #611
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Call it Batman vs Superman.
Simple and gets the idea across straight away. In the build up to the 2015 box office war between Marvel and DC, when the general audience are thinking 'What the heck is an 'Ultron'?' They will know exactly what the DC movie is about.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:20 AM   #612
king666
(¬‿¬)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
Call it Batman vs Superman.
Simple and gets the idea across straight away. In the build up to the 2015 box office war between Marvel and DC, when the general audience are thinking 'What the heck is an 'Ultron'?' They will know exactly what the DC movie is about.
That makes sense.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:24 AM   #613
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post
Did people ever complain about The Avengers?
No because that's the name of the team...world's finest is not the name Batman and Superman call themselves.

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in today’s protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You don’t like a story? That’s fine – don’t read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 09-29-2013, 10:54 AM   #614
Rorschach2012
$

Can you imagine how douchey they'd have to be to call themselves the World's Finest? Of all the names their team up could be called

Old 09-29-2013, 10:59 AM   #615
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
Can you imagine how douchey they'd have to be to call themselves the World's Finest? Of all the names their team up could be called
World's Finest just doesn't mean anything to general audience.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:08 AM   #616
Rorschach2012
$

Agreed. I think their best bet is to go with Batman vs Superman, it rolls off the tongue better than Superman vs Batman

Old 09-29-2013, 11:55 AM   #617
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Agreed. I think their best bet is to go with Batman vs Superman, it rolls off the tongue better than Superman vs Batman

Bats gets top billing because he is probably the most popular superhero on the planet right now.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:42 PM   #618
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
No because that's the name of the team...world's finest is not the name Batman and Superman call themselves.
Even so. It's not there's really a good reason they call themselves The Avengers. It's just is what it is and people accept it. I see no reason why people would have any problems with World's Finest.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
He’s much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. He’s Everyman operating on a sci–fi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

Old 09-29-2013, 01:10 PM   #619
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
Sure, but "World's Finest" is unusual in that it doesn't encompass any other concept. You can contrast that with something like "The Amazing Spiderman", which is a bit more meaningful because it contains a nominative noun, making the subject definite.

The title "Awesome!" could be a substitute for "World's Finest", at least in terms of its objective meaning.
I think you just cracked it. The best possible title for this movie is "Awesome!".

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 09-29-2013, 01:12 PM   #620
regwec
Shakespearo

(Edit- @ Lench)

But "The Avengers" is a much more specific concept than "World's Finest".

Ask yourself, hypothetically, what a newcomer to "The Avengers" would deduce from the name alone. He or she would start with the definite article, "the" denoting that the subject was a specific entity rather a broad concept. "Avengers" itself is plural- so our newcomer knows it describes a group, a team or similar. Further, it is a verbal noun, meaning "those who avenge". It evokes vigilantism. So, on a close reading of those two words, our newcomer understands that what is being described is a specific vigilante group. The movie/comic is probably about them.

The same newcomer, on seeing something titled "World's Finest", knows that whatever is being described is supposed to be the best in its class. That is the absolute limit of what he or she can infer. The words evoke nothing else.

Now, I know the response to this will be "lol they'll know when they see the big S and the bat!!!", and that's fine, to an extent. But, if we're discussing he innate value of the title, then concluding that it doesn't matter and anything will do is not a strong argument for any particular option.

Objectively, I think that "Public Enemies" would be far better, even if it is potentially misleading. Even plain old "Superman/Batman" would be alright.

Old 09-29-2013, 02:09 PM   #621
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

If people didn't have any problem with WF when it was first used for the comics, I really don't see why there would be a problem with using it for this film. It's not like it would turn people off the same way The Dark Knight or Man of Steel didn't turn people off from watching the film. Gordon only called Batman that at the end of the film and MOS was never mentioned in the film.

But, of course this all depends on if this is a team up film or an actual versus one.

If it were me, I'd call this Super Cafe and just have them hanging out and talking about awesome advertures they had together, which would be shown in flashbacks...

"

Old 09-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #622
georgec
Not a hero

"When Clark Met Bruce"

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:37 PM   #623
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
Sure, but "World's Finest" is unusual in that it doesn't encompass any other concept.
What other concept does it need to encompass? The movie is about Batman and Superman teaming up, and the title, regardless of how you feel about it, reflects that perfectly.

Quote:
You can contrast that with something like "The Amazing Spiderman", which is a bit more meaningful because it contains a nominative noun, making the subject definite.
It's not more meaningful at all. "Hey, this movie is about Spider-Man. Hey, and guess what? He's amazing!"

The marketing would tell the GA what the film is about and they would be able to make the connection between the title and the stars.

Quote:
You know they've never actually called themselves that, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
World's Finest just doesn't mean anything to general audience.
And "The Dark Knight" did? Or "Man of Steel"? Or "The Avengers"? Or "Iron Man"?

Quote:
Even so. It's not there's really a good reason they call themselves The Avengers. It's just is what it is and people accept it. I see no reason why people would have any problems with World's Finest.
Exactly.

Quote:
If people didn't have any problem with WF when it was first used for the comics, I really don't see why there would be a problem with using it for this film. It's not like it would turn people off the same way The Dark Knight or Man of Steel didn't turn people off from watching the film. Gordon only called Batman that at the end of the film and MOS was never mentioned in the film.
This.

Quote:
If it were me, I'd call this Super Cafe and just have them hanging out and talking about awesome advertures they had together, which would be shown in flashbacks...
I'd be first in line.

Old 09-29-2013, 02:47 PM   #624
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

They could always just go Dark Knight/Man of Steel: World's Finest if WF needed to be in the title.

Old 09-29-2013, 03:05 PM   #625
Dk1201
Side-Kick

I prefer Batman vs Superman as a title.

Closed Thread