The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

View Poll Results: How do you feel about Goyer writing the script for the first Superman Batman film
His work on MOS was VERY GOOD. He'll do GREAT. 27 20.45%
His work on MOS was OKAY. I am Skecptical. 30 22.73%
His work on MOS was POOR. I feel dread. 32 24.24%
He NEEDS Affleck's help and guidance to deliver a great script 43 32.58%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-29-2013, 07:43 PM   #11
Marvin
Side-Kick

Default Re: David S. Goyer IS the Script Writer! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordofhouseEl View Post
Just want to pull you on something, what was your views of JorEl physically dominating several people who were meant to be superior to him in every way shape and form.
Sure, thanks for asking.
My thoughts are as they always are when the superior power falls to the inferior one in any scripted conflict. From die hard, to sports films to rocky movies to mythology and so on... Anything is possible with the right foresight/execution and of course heart is what I walk away with.
My second thought was even simpler, I guess they weren't all that superior to begin with.
Seems like a no brainer.
Quote:
Sure his mental capacity was greater as that was what he was designed for but how did someone who was created to be a thinker dominate someone who was meant to protect an entire planet through method of combat. To me that's just bad story telling and contradicts the point the film brought up about kryptonians and their society. There are so many holes and flaws in the movie that it almost seems like a joke.
How many people has batman beat up that are "superior to him"? And when he does it how often is this attributed to a measure of the mind?
People aren't robots. Sometimes as in MoS, a keen minded warrior get's the jump on his opponents. Whether he simply draws fire first, has his robots blind them with a flare or simply overcomes another fighter versed in his same fighting style.

The day will come when superman will have to face off with Doomsday and if doomsday is anything like the source material, he will be "Superior" to superman on print.
When superman isn't defeated and possibly wins, I will come up with the same explanation: There is more to physical sentient confrontation than power bars. I loved the under sides of upper deck superhero cards as much as the next kid, but...you know.

Quote:
how did someone who was created to be a thinker dominate someone who was meant to protect an entire planet through method of combat.
People need to stop drawing conclusions from what is implied and start drawing them from what is shown.

Let me pull you on something of my own: If the audience enters the cabin of a old retired farmer. The camera racks around the volume and you are made privy to a few of the mans possessions. On the wall you see old boxing gloves and a few prize fighting trophies. This old farmer is then confronted but mafia debt collectors and he overcomes them with formidable head movement, footwork and striking. STORYTELLING being what it is, the boxing trophies communicate to the audience what they need to know to understand this plot development.
Whatever you and your audience what to believe JorEl and his contemporaries are, the minute you are made privy to his armor and training you are shown a higher order of characterization than that of being told "People on Krypton are born to fill roles in society" and "Your father was our foremost scientist". You are being told what the character in question in fact is, it's this revelation that you need to measure against his task.
JorEl isn't simply a pencil pusher and Zod isn't a god of confrontation. Clearly.