The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice > Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 08:52 PM   #626
DChero
Out of Work Superhero

Default Re: All Things Superman and Batman: An Open Discussion - Part 2

If you guys haven't looked into it, look into the situation with the movie, Life of Pi. That's the reason that you see rushed and unfinished VFX. I used to be in that industry, so it kind of hits home when people critic VFX that really goes unappreciated financially in Hollywood (and typically Sydney as well).

Old 09-29-2013, 08:55 PM   #627
Jekecy
Side-Kick

Man of Steel had a very extensive post-production schedule which was lengthened an extra 6 months, so I don't think that would apply here.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:00 PM   #628
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DChero View Post
If you guys haven't looked into it, look into the situation with the movie, Life of Pi. That's the reason that you see rushed and unfinished VFX. I used to be in that industry, so it kind of hits home when people critic VFX that really goes unappreciated financially in Hollywood (and typically Sydney as well).
Can you elaborate?

Old 09-29-2013, 09:00 PM   #629
DChero
Out of Work Superhero

The pay rate would. Most of those guys get laid off every three months, which is why you see so many different VFX houses involved. If they focused on a smaller amount, it would be more expensive but they would have a more consistent look and quality. Just my two cents, heh.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #630
DChero
Out of Work Superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_Champion View Post
Can you elaborate?
The trend in the business these days is under-paying for VFX. One of the top companies, Rythm and Hues, went under right after award-winning effects done for Life of Pi. When (I believe) the VFX supervisor went up to receive the Oscar for it, the event cut him off and pulled the clip from the telecast. If these guys weren't severely under paid, I think that we see a lot more progression than we have in the last ten years or so.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:23 PM   #631
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
The trend in the business these days is under-paying for VFX. One of the top companies, Rythm and Hues, went under right after award-winning effects done for Life of Pi. When (I believe) the VFX supervisor went up to receive the Oscar for it, the event cut him off and pulled the clip from the telecast. If these guys weren't severely under paid, I think that we see a lot more progression than we have in the last ten years or so.
That's terrible.

Where does the money go in a 200 million dollar budget? It doesn't look like Hollywood is cutting costs. How much of MoS' budget was effects work?

Old 09-29-2013, 09:25 PM   #632
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekecy View Post
I'd sooner place the blame on the vfx studio rather than the method. I would definitely pull for WETA or ILM to take on majority of the work this time, as Krypton was damn near flawless compared to the latter half.

We should always strive for practical photography, but there comes a point where it's just not time/cost effective, or even ideal. Snyder made a big deal over "shooting real" so I don't think it was for the lack of trying. By his own accord Superman's feats are a special effect anyway, so there's not much to be be done to do it justice via actual humans. Particularly in the Smallville fight, there were a handful of shots that would be outright impossible to pull of seamlessly with real actors.
true; though I think the thing that makes this even harder for the filmmakers is that they're dealing with a character, or set of characters, that possess super speed, super strength, and durability.

I mean you don't really get that kind of combo in a character for a lot of films, so it's easier to make action sequences look more real since the people involved in those projects don't have to also compensate for the other factors.

If it's just super speed, then you can still do some great fighting choreography that looks very real, of it's just super strength and durability, then you could do on how the they did for Terminator and a lot of wire work that shows the people getting flung around.

But when you put all of those three factors together, it's damn well difficult to make a action sequence involving all of that in several people while making it look real.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:33 PM   #633
DChero
Out of Work Superhero

Quote:
That's terrible.

Where does the money go in a 200 million dollar budget? It doesn't look like Hollywood is cutting costs. How much of MoS' budget was effects work?
The only person that I know that worked on MoS worked on the 3d conversion, so I really couldn't give you the numbers. It's worth reading up on. I seen a few articles about some of the bigger names speculating that the industry could crash in the next several years because of this.

To give you an example, the average starting wage as a VFX artist in SoCal is around $12 per hour. Imagine living off of that and being laid off every three months. It's unreal. That's the reason that so many are moving to Australia and India for work.

Old 09-29-2013, 09:43 PM   #634
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

Quote:
The only person that I know that worked on MoS worked on the 3d conversion, so I really couldn't give you the numbers. It's worth reading up on. I seen a few articles about some of the bigger names speculating that the industry could crash in the next several years because of this.

To give you an example, the average starting wage as a VFX artist in SoCal is around $12 per hour. Imagine living off of that and being laid off every three months. It's unreal. That's the reason that so many are moving to Australia and India for work.
If they're paying people $12/hour (in California), they must be scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of talent and ability. I wonder how good movies would look if designers were well paid.

Do you live in Australia too?

Old 09-29-2013, 09:48 PM   #635
DChero
Out of Work Superhero

Quote:
If they're paying people $12/hour (in California), they must be scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of talent and ability. I wonder how good movies would look if designers were well paid.

Do you live in Australia too?
That $12/hr usually follows an unpaid internship, so those guys definitely earn their keep in other jobs while breaking in. Most of my friends moved to SoCal, then went off to other parts of the world.

I never went to SoCal (thank God). I almost moved to work on that movie, G-Force, a few years ago, but stayed on the East coast of the States instead. I now live in Atlanta, GA and sell the software instead, heh.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:29 PM   #636
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

WB now has an official second co-financing partner, Rat-Pac and Dune Entertainment. As previously reported by THR, the $450 million deal covers virtually all WB and New Line releases (up to 75 films), and last 3-4 years. The deal excludes titles derived from Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, or The Hobbit.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...million-637389

Even better is that Rat-Pac will be a passive co-financer (akin to Relativity's previous relationships with Universal, Lionsgate, and Sony)... so Brett Ratner won't be "ruining" this movie or other potential DCU films. And he actually supported the contractual "no creative input" clause.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 10-02-2013, 02:43 AM   #637
smallville fan
Hero

Hey guys so I was thinking about some things like Byrne's 1980's run on his Man of Steel series and TDKReturns as well as role reversals. In the comic, Superman goes into exile after killing Zod and the Kryptonians and returns to Earth to be the hero we know after going through some trials.

What if in the movie-verse, after the events of Man of Steel(this would happen between the movies), he tries to be the hero we know for a bit, then gets repeatedly shunned and then Clark goes into exile(by exile I say he stays on Earth but still being Clark Kent) and comes back when he feels needed the most and after he goes through character development (ala Batman in TDKReturns). Basically what I'm saying what if they pull a Superman Returns (except this time this is the one you want and all the stuff that sucked like the kid etc are not in the picture)+Intro to the new Batman+eventual confrontation?

Old 10-02-2013, 02:50 AM   #638
magpiemaggie
Newbie First Class

Is it true that Justin Bieber is to be the new Robin???

Old 10-02-2013, 04:35 AM   #639
craigdbfan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Very true.

He's planning on giving us the best Carrie Kelley he can be. It'll be a performance to remember.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Old 10-02-2013, 04:43 AM   #640
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpiemaggie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
Very true.

He's planning on giving us the best Carrie Kelley he can be. It'll be a performance to remember.
No doubt

I hear there'll be some elements drawn from Death In The Family.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:22 AM   #641
Dispatch Ninja
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpiemaggie View Post
Um, where have you been? This was confirmed weeks ago.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:26 AM   #642
DA_Champion
Side-Kick

I really hope that Bieber can also contribute to the soundtrack.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:05 AM   #643
Bathead
The Oldest Geek

Don't let these funny boys mislead you, magpiemaggie, That rumor was almost immediately debunked a couple of weeks ago. (let's not worry anyone un-necessarily, guys, it's not fair, even if they could have found out simply by doing a search first)

*splat*
Old 10-02-2013, 09:46 AM   #644
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

While Justin Bieber certainly won't be playing, something tells me that Dick Grayson will already be established as Robin in this universe.

Or Maybe, just maybe, Dick has moved on and Bruce is on the verge of bringing in Jason.

Just sayin, A Death in the Family (Not to be confused with the recent Death OF the family) would be a very good story to adapt.

Yeah, I'm just worried that if Pan of Steel isn't widely accepted by the audience and critics, they might try to shoehorn Pinocchio into the sequel, and we all know how long Hollywood has been trying to do a 'Pan vs Pinocchio' team up movie.
The Legend of Labeouf by Schlosser85
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=226

#Hypsters4Sawyer
Old 10-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #645
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I think it'd be a huge missed opportunity for them to not at least allow for the possibility of an established history with Robin/Grayson in this universe.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
Old 10-02-2013, 11:12 AM   #646
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
I think it'd be a huge missed opportunity for them to not at least allow for the possibility of an established history with Robin/Grayson in this universe.
I think Tim should be the current Robin and a solo bat film with Jason as the villain.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:07 PM   #647
ChrisB
Batman News

Anyone else a little surprised by this? El Mayimbe doesn't think we're getting a title or villain announcement before the end of the year.
https://twitter.com/BatmanNewsCom/st...93506543714304

I think we'll get the title at least.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #648
theShape
Creature of Darkness

He doesn't know what he's talking about.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:14 PM   #649
Dk1201
Side-Kick

I am hoping for title and Casting announcments otherwise January will be jammed packed... I hope this doesn't unravel.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #650
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Quote:
Originally Posted by theShape View Post
He doesn't know what he's talking about.
That's why we dub him "Eh Maybe" because for every correct scoop he gets, there are 3-4 wrong ones. He needs to regain that 2004-2008 track record he had, right now his scoops tend to have a 25-33% chance of being accurate.

Of course, Schmoes Know worships him...

"Come Think With Us."
Closed Thread