The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman/Batman > Superman/Batman Movie

View Poll Results: So this movie should really be called...
Superman vs Batman (or Batman vs Superman) 9 5.49%
World's finest 64 39.02%
Superman/Batman: World's finest 39 23.78%
Man of steel: world's finest 21 12.80%
Man of tomorrow 7 4.27%
Superman: shadow of the bat 4 2.44%
Man of steel: gods among us 2 1.22%
other 18 10.98%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #626
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Default Re: Batman Vs Superman: can't we find a better title than that? Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Scout View Post
What other concept does it need to encompass? The movie is about Batman and Superman teaming up, and the title, regardless of how you feel about it, reflects that perfectly.

It's not more meaningful at all. "Hey, this movie is about Spider-Man. Hey, and guess what? He's amazing!"

The marketing would tell the GA what the film is about and they would be able to make the connection between the title and the stars.

You know they've never actually called themselves that, right?

And "The Dark Knight" did? Or "Man of Steel"? Or "The Avengers"? Or "Iron Man"?

Exactly.

This.

I'd be first in line.
This. I gotta say, these anti-WF arguments are making me facepalm. It's like people are fishing for excuses not to use the title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon sexton View Post
Yeah but those people are ****s more or less. :o
Old 09-29-2013, 03:15 PM   #627
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Default Re: Batman Vs Superman: can't we find a better title than that? Any suggestions?

Right. I mean, if you don't like it, just say you don't like it. No need to come up with odd excuses to justify your personal preference.

Old 09-29-2013, 03:52 PM   #628
Rorschach2012
$

The reason I can't get behind World's Finest as a title is because it just sounds cheesy and lame to me, I can't be the only one... I much prefer Batman vs Superman.

Old 09-29-2013, 03:55 PM   #629
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:
Right. I mean, if you don't like it, just say you don't like it. No need to come up with odd excuses to justify your personal preference.
You just summed up how I feel about most arguments on the hype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon sexton View Post
Yeah but those people are ****s more or less. :o
Old 09-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #630
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
The reason I can't get behind World's Finest as a title is because it just sounds cheesy and lame to me, I can't be the only one... I much prefer Batman vs Superman.
That's fine. Different strokes for different folks. Personally, I think B vs. S sounds too gimmick-y.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
You just summed up how I feel about most arguments on the hype.

Old 09-29-2013, 04:31 PM   #631
regwec
Shakespearo

Quote:
Actually, my "personal preferences" are the result of some thought and reflection; the "excuses" I outline here represent the formations of my opinions.

I haven't seen a single cogent argument in favour of "World's Finest", apart from the assumption that it's use in the comics means it should be used in the movie.

It is unnecessary to point out that somebody's opinion is their opinion. Don't.

Worried they might cast a black man as your favourite superhero? :(
Old 09-29-2013, 04:44 PM   #632
roach
I am the night

The Dark Knight is a nickname for Batman....just like the Man of Steel. If you go up to a non-comic buyer and ask them who is the Man of Steel they will guess Superman. Avengers is the title of the comic and name of the team. Marvel name dropped Avengers in Iron Man. Every film built towards Avengers and Marvel made sure people knew Avengers was coming. World's Finest carries no weight to the general audience. Hell DC doesn't even call the book Worlds Finest.

You can't judge a film's screenplay until you read the screenplay.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:53 PM   #633
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
The Dark Knight is a nickname for Batman....just like the Man of Steel. If you go up to a non-comic buyer and ask them who is the Man of Steel they will guess Superman. Avengers is the title of the comic and name of the team. Marvel name dropped Avengers in Iron Man. Every film built towards Avengers and Marvel made sure people knew Avengers was coming. World's Finest carries no weight to the general audience. Hell DC doesn't even call the book Worlds Finest.
So wrong.

They had a whole series that ran over 300 issues with that title for a span of 45 years.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Avvy by Kane

Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Old 09-29-2013, 04:56 PM   #634
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
Actually, my "personal preferences" are the result of some thought and reflection...
I never said otherwise.

Quote:
I haven't seen a single cogent argument in favour of "World's Finest", apart from the assumption that it's use in the comics means it should be used in the movie.
There's relevant precedent for it in the source material and it acknowledges how important Batman and Superman are in both their universe (they are held in high regard by the entire superhero community) and in ours (they are the two most popular superheroes in existence).

I've yet to see even one logical argument for not using it.

Old 09-29-2013, 05:00 PM   #635
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
The Dark Knight is a nickname for Batman....just like the Man of Steel.
Not the point.

Quote:
If you go up to a non-comic buyer and ask them who is the Man of Steel they will guess Superman.
Yeah, now they will.

Quote:
Avengers is the title of the comic and name of the team. Marvel name dropped Avengers in Iron Man.
And it didn't mean anything to anybody until the movie came out.

Quote:
World's Finest carries no weight to the general audience.
And "Iron Man" did?

Some of you are giving the title way too much importance.

Quote:
Hell DC doesn't even call the book Worlds Finest.
Incorrect.

Old 09-29-2013, 05:04 PM   #636
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Everyone is absolutely entitled to their own opinion but I have to say it's funny seeing some of these attempts to try and add illegitimacy to the title by coming up with baseless information.

Regwec seems to have a good enough reason for not wanting that title but I don't think they apply to a large portion of people. I highly doubt audiences will be in a humongous uproar if it's titled World's Finest. It definitely does hold significance and it being used would absolutely make more sense than not like The Boy Scout pointed out.

Being against the "Vs" option is understandable in my view seeing as in cinematic history films which have used that are nothing more than tacky b grade level crossovers (e.g Freddy vs Jason & Alien vs Predator) having Batman and Superman reduced to that level would not be desirable.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Avvy by Kane

Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Old 09-29-2013, 05:16 PM   #637
regwec
Shakespearo

Quote:

I've yet to see even one logical argument for not using it.
All of the arguments set out against it over the last few pages are logical. You may not agree with them, but the claim you make here denotes a wilful failure of comprehension.

"World's Finest" is not the only viable title. The arguments for it appear to assume that it is, thus avoiding any real positive reasoning in its favour. The intention is probably that the burden of logical argument should be offloaded on the proponents of any other option. That won't do. I will gratefully entertain submissions on why it is the best option amongst a field of other options.

It is unnecessary to point out that somebody's opinion is their opinion. Don't.

Worried they might cast a black man as your favourite superhero? :(
Old 09-29-2013, 06:40 PM   #638
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
All of the arguments set out against it over the last few pages are logical.
They really aren't, and I've already explained why. If there are any I've missed (which is totally possible), please share them with me.

Quote:
You may not agree with them, but the claim you make here denotes a wilful failure of comprehension.
Or they just aren't logical.

Quote:
"World's Finest" is not the only viable title.
I never said it was.

Quote:
The intention is probably that the burden of logical argument should be offloaded on the proponents of any other option.
Not at all. The intention is to explain why it is a viable option (among many).

Quote:
I will gratefully entertain submissions on why it is the best option amongst a field of other options.
Check my other posts, then.

EDIT: However, I do want to point out that my intention was to explain why it would make perfect sense for it to be the title. I was never trying to argue that it was the best title.

Old 09-29-2013, 06:42 PM   #639
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
So wrong.

They had a whole series that ran over 300 issues with that title for a span of 45 years.
Is it called Worlds Finest now?

You can't judge a film's screenplay until you read the screenplay.

Last edited by roach; 09-29-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:03 PM   #640
Bathead
The Oldest Geek

never mind

*splat*

Last edited by Bathead; 09-29-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:06 PM   #641
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Is it called Worlds Finest now?
No, it's not. I concede that point.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:12 PM   #642
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Actually some of the above arguments against World's Finest are legitimate.

The Dark Knight & Man of Steel = not cheesy
World's Finest = cheesy

It's not just about how well-known the phrase is.

However, I personally think they could embrace the old-school cheesy nature of the title. Make it seem more timeless than simply a 'modern, edgy battle.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:21 PM   #643
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedOnATreeFrog View Post

World's Finest = cheesy
That's not a fact.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:24 PM   #644
Rorschach2012
$

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedOnATreeFrog View Post

World's Finest = cheesy

It's not just about how well-known the phrase is.

However, I personally think they could embrace the old-school cheesy nature of the title. Make it seem more timeless than simply a 'modern, edgy battle.
This is basically how I feel about it. I feel they can do better than Batman vvs Superman, but that's at least better than World's Finest.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:24 PM   #645
Rorschach2012
$

Just make it Batman/Superman

Old 09-29-2013, 08:28 PM   #646
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

Superman/Batman: The Movie

Old 09-30-2013, 01:13 AM   #647
jmc
callin' it like I see it

What some of you are forgetting is that World's Finest was the original name for the comic not the team up name of Superman and Batman. People are retroactively applying meaning to it in order to justify the title. World's Finest frankly has no punch to it whatsoever, it's a bland generic phrase that could be applied to anything from washing detergent to Persian rugs, it has no place as the title of a superhero film. The only reason people are suggesting it is because there's never been a name given to the team up of Batman and Superman, it's just been adopted as a default. The title should be symbolic of Batman vs Superman concept, if the two of them are going head to head in the finale then Worlds Finest has even less meaning.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:19 AM   #648
jonathancrane
Side-Kick

Here's an unpopular opinion: both of the titles suck.

They showcase a lack of thought into a title that can represent both of the comic icons well. Considering the half-assed logo they showed at Comic-Con, the lack of thought into this film - as evidenced by Snyder's indirect reveal that batman's inclusion was forced-this is a rushed project that is playing roulette with a nearly full revolver. I prefer they not use an existing title (World's Finest) and not one that sounds like it was conceived during the brainstorming for a half baked film (Batman vs Superman sounds like something Jim Wynorski shot in the 1980's when he had less than a week to shoot something with them before the rights expired.) They are both half assed titles and highlight the lack of thought that has gone into the pre-production of the film.

*I will forgive the writers of Man of Steel, if Superman is the Enlightened Sun God he is supposed to be, in Superman vs. Batman. Quite simply, Superman does not kill. The writers of MOS failed to grasp this, to this film's detriment.
Favorite CBMs: 1) X2 2) The Avengers 3) CA:TWS 4) Watchmen 5) Batman: MOTP 6) The Dark Knight Rises 7) Thor: TDW 8) TASM 9) IM3 10) S/B: Apocalypse
Old 09-30-2013, 01:22 AM   #649
jmc
callin' it like I see it

I'd actually borrow a title from a Wonder Woman comic - Gods and Mortals.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:28 AM   #650
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
What some of you are forgetting is that World's Finest was the original name for the comic not the team up name of Superman and Batman.
Irrelevant.

Quote:
People are retroactively applying meaning to it in order to justify the title.
What?

People have been using that title in reference to Batman and Superman teaming up for years now. There's nothing "retroactive" about any of this.

Quote:
World's Finest frankly has no punch to it whatsoever...
I disagree.

Quote:
it's a bland generic phrase that could be applied to anything...
Again: the films gives the title meaning; not the other way around.

Quote:
The only reason people are suggesting it is because there's never been a name given to the team up of Batman and Superman...
Except the one we're talking about, you mean.

EDIT: Sorry, accidentally deleted this part.
Quote:
The title should be symbolic of Batman vs Superman concept, if the two of them are going head to head in the finale then Worlds Finest has even less meaning.
The keyword there being "if". We don't know yet if the film is actually all about them fighting each other. I think it's more likely to be about them putting their differences aside and working together to defeat a common enemy.

Last edited by The Boy Scout; 09-30-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Closed Thread