The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman/Batman > Superman/Batman Movie

View Poll Results: So this movie should really be called...
Superman vs Batman (or Batman vs Superman) 9 5.49%
World's finest 64 39.02%
Superman/Batman: World's finest 39 23.78%
Man of steel: world's finest 21 12.80%
Man of tomorrow 7 4.27%
Superman: shadow of the bat 4 2.44%
Man of steel: gods among us 2 1.22%
other 18 10.98%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #626
The Batman
The Dark Knight
 
The Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Gotham City
Posts: 19,494
Default Re: Batman Vs Superman: can't we find a better title than that? Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Scout View Post
What other concept does it need to encompass? The movie is about Batman and Superman teaming up, and the title, regardless of how you feel about it, reflects that perfectly.



It's not more meaningful at all. "Hey, this movie is about Spider-Man. Hey, and guess what? He's amazing!"

The marketing would tell the GA what the film is about and they would be able to make the connection between the title and the stars.



You know they've never actually called themselves that, right?



And "The Dark Knight" did? Or "Man of Steel"? Or "The Avengers"? Or "Iron Man"?



Exactly.



This.



I'd be first in line.
This. I gotta say, these anti-WF arguments are making me facepalm. It's like people are fishing for excuses not to use the title.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
People always claim that Batman's villains are more interesting than he is. Even in the comics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon sexton View Post
Yeah but those people are ****s more or less. :o
The Batman is offline  
Old 09-29-2013, 03:15 PM   #627
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick
 
The Boy Scout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,908
Default Re: Batman Vs Superman: can't we find a better title than that? Any suggestions?

Right. I mean, if you don't like it, just say you don't like it. No need to come up with odd excuses to justify your personal preference.

The Boy Scout is offline  
Old 09-29-2013, 03:52 PM   #628
Rorschach2012
$
 
Rorschach2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,236
Default Re: Batman Vs Superman: can't we find a better title than that? Any suggestions?

The reason I can't get behind World's Finest as a title is because it just sounds cheesy and lame to me, I can't be the only one... I much prefer Batman vs Superman.

__________________
*\S/T*
Rorschach2012 is online now  
Old 09-29-2013, 03:55 PM   #629
The Batman
The Dark Knight
 
The Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Gotham City
Posts: 19,494
Default Re: Batman Vs Superman: can't we find a better title than that? Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Scout View Post
Right. I mean, if you don't like it, just say you don't like it. No need to come up with odd excuses to justify your personal preference.
You just summed up how I feel about most arguments on the hype.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
People always claim that Batman's villains are more interesting than he is. Even in the comics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon sexton View Post
Yeah but those people are ****s more or less. :o
The Batman is offline  
Old 09-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #630
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick
 
The Boy Scout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,908
Default Re: Batman Vs Superman: can't we find a better title than that? Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
The reason I can't get behind World's Finest as a title is because it just sounds cheesy and lame to me, I can't be the only one... I much prefer Batman vs Superman.
That's fine. Different strokes for different folks. Personally, I think B vs. S sounds too gimmick-y.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
You just summed up how I feel about most arguments on the hype.

The Boy Scout is offline  
Old 09-29-2013, 04:31 PM   #631
regwec
Shakespearo
 
regwec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Herne's Oak
Posts: 20,401
Default Re: Batman Vs Superman: can't we find a better title than that? Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Scout View Post
Right. I mean, if you don't like it, just say you don't like it. No need to come up with odd excuses to justify your personal preference.
Actually, my "personal preferences" are the result of some thought and reflection; the "excuses" I outline here represent the formations of my opinions.

I haven't seen a single cogent argument in favour of "World's Finest", apart from the assumption that it's use in the comics means it should be used in the movie.

__________________
Feel like using the word "hyperbole"? Better check what it means!

It is unnecessary to point out that somebody's opinion is their opinion. Don't.

.
Worried they might cast a black man as your favourite superhero? :(
regwec is online now  
Old 09-29-2013, 04:44 PM   #632
roach
I am the night
 
roach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Under your Refrigerator
Posts: 35,210
Default Re: Batman Vs Superman: can't we find a better title than that? Any suggestions?

The Dark Knight is a nickname for Batman....just like the Man of Steel. If you go up to a non-comic buyer and ask them who is the Man of Steel they will guess Superman. Avengers is the title of the comic and name of the team. Marvel name dropped Avengers in Iron Man. Every film built towards Avengers and Marvel made sure people knew Avengers was coming. World's Finest carries no weight to the general audience. Hell DC doesn't even call the book Worlds Finest.

__________________
I contribute articles here: http://www.robotunderdog.com
Clerk: "Sorry I am a Batman guy. Superman is cool but his weakness is a rock. That's weak."
Me: "Well, thrown hard enough a rock is Batman's weakness too."
You can't judge a film's screenplay until you read the screenplay.
roach is online now  
Old 09-29-2013, 04:53 PM   #633
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator
 
craigdbfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Interstellar
Posts: 27,133
Default Re: Batman Vs Superman: can't we find a better title than that? Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
The Dark Knight is a nickname for Batman....just like the Man of Steel. If you go up to a non-comic buyer and ask them who is the Man of Steel they will guess Superman. Avengers is the title of the comic and name of the team. Marvel name dropped Avengers in Iron Man. Every film built towards Avengers and Marvel made sure people knew Avengers was coming. World's Finest carries no weight to the general audience. Hell DC doesn't even call the book Worlds Finest.
So wrong.



They had a whole series that ran over 300 issues with that title for a span of 45 years.

__________________
Quote:
For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Avvy by Kane

Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
craigdbfan is offline  
Old 09-29-2013, 04:56 PM   #634
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick
 
The Boy Scout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,908
Default Re: Batman Vs Superman: can't we find a better title than that? Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
Actually, my "personal preferences" are the result of some thought and reflection...
I never said otherwise.

Quote:
I haven't seen a single cogent argument in favour of "World's Finest", apart from the assumption that it's use in the comics means it should be used in the movie.
There's relevant precedent for it in the source material and it acknowledges how important Batman and Superman are in both their universe (they are held in high regard by the entire superhero community) and in ours (they are the two most popular superheroes in existence).

I've yet to see even one logical argument for not using it.

The Boy Scout is offline  
Old 09-29-2013, 05:00 PM   #635
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick
 
The Boy Scout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,908
Default Re: Batman Vs Superman: can't we find a better title than that? Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
The Dark Knight is a nickname for Batman....just like the Man of Steel.
Not the point.

Quote:
If you go up to a non-comic buyer and ask them who is the Man of Steel they will guess Superman.
Yeah, now they will.

Quote:
Avengers is the title of the comic and name of the team. Marvel name dropped Avengers in Iron Man.
And it didn't mean anything to anybody until the movie came out.

Quote:
World's Finest carries no weight to the general audience.
And "Iron Man" did?

Some of you are giving the title way too much importance.

Quote:
Hell DC doesn't even call the book Worlds Finest.
Incorrect.

The Boy Scout is offline  
Old 09-29-2013, 05:04 PM   #636
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator
 
craigdbfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Interstellar
Posts: 27,133
Default Re: Batman Vs Superman: can't we find a better title than that? Any suggestions?

Everyone is absolutely entitled to their own opinion but I have to say it's funny seeing some of these attempts to try and add illegitimacy to the title by coming up with baseless information.

Regwec seems to have a good enough reason for not wanting that title but I don't think they apply to a large portion of people. I highly doubt audiences will be in a humongous uproar if it's titled World's Finest. It definitely does hold significance and it being used would absolutely make more sense than not like The Boy Scout pointed out.

Being against the "Vs" option is understandable in my view seeing as in cinematic history films which have used that are nothing more than tacky b grade level crossovers (e.g Freddy vs Jason & Alien vs Predator) having Batman and Superman reduced to that level would not be desirable.

__________________
Quote:
For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Avvy by Kane

Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
craigdbfan is offline  
Old 09-29-2013, 05:16 PM   #637
regwec
Shakespearo
 
regwec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Herne's Oak
Posts: 20,401
Default Re: Batman Vs Superman: can't we find a better title than that? Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Scout View Post

I've yet to see even one logical argument for not using it.
All of the arguments set out against it over the last few pages are logical. You may not agree with them, but the claim you make here denotes a wilful failure of comprehension.

"World's Finest" is not the only viable title. The arguments for it appear to assume that it is, thus avoiding any real positive reasoning in its favour. The intention is probably that the burden of logical argument should be offloaded on the proponents of any other option. That won't do. I will gratefully entertain submissions on why it is the best option amongst a field of other options.

__________________
Feel like using the word "hyperbole"? Better check what it means!

It is unnecessary to point out that somebody's opinion is their opinion. Don't.

.
Worried they might cast a black man as your favourite superhero? :(
regwec is online now  
Old 09-29-2013, 06:40 PM   #638
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick
 
The Boy Scout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,908
Default Re: Batman Vs Superman: can't we find a better title than that? Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by regwec View Post
All of the arguments set out against it over the last few pages are logical.
They really aren't, and I've already explained why. If there are any I've missed (which is totally possible), please share them with me.

Quote:
You may not agree with them, but the claim you make here denotes a wilful failure of comprehension.
Or they just aren't logical.

Quote:
"World's Finest" is not the only viable title.
I never said it was.

Quote:
The intention is probably that the burden of logical argument should be offloaded on the proponents of any other option.
Not at all. The intention is to explain why it is a viable option (among many).

Quote:
I will gratefully entertain submissions on why it is the best option amongst a field of other options.
Check my other posts, then.

EDIT: However, I do want to point out that my intention was to explain why it would make perfect sense for it to be the title. I was never trying to argue that it was the best title.

The Boy Scout is offline  
Old 09-29-2013, 06:42 PM   #639
roach
I am the night
 
roach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Under your Refrigerator
Posts: 35,210
Default Re: Batman Vs Superman: can't we find a better title than that? Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
So wrong.



They had a whole series that ran over 300 issues with that title for a span of 45 years.
Is it called Worlds Finest now?

__________________
I contribute articles here: http://www.robotunderdog.com
Clerk: "Sorry I am a Batman guy. Superman is cool but his weakness is a rock. That's weak."
Me: "Well, thrown hard enough a rock is Batman's weakness too."
You can't judge a film's screenplay until you read the screenplay.

Last edited by roach; 09-29-2013 at 06:48 PM.
roach is online now  
Old 09-29-2013, 08:03 PM   #640
Bathead
The Oldest Geek
 
Bathead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Sumwear in Pencilvainya
Posts: 4,228
Default Re: Batman Vs Superman: can't we find a better title than that? Any suggestions?

never mind

__________________
Little fly upon the wall,
Ain't you got no friends at all?
Wanna see God?
*splat*

Last edited by Bathead; 09-29-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Bathead is offline  
Old 09-29-2013, 08:06 PM   #641
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick
 
The Boy Scout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,908
Default Re: Batman Vs Superman: can't we find a better title than that? Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
Is it called Worlds Finest now?
No, it's not. I concede that point.

The Boy Scout is offline  
Old 09-29-2013, 08:12 PM   #642
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference
 
FeedOnATreeFrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,415
Default Re: Batman Vs Superman: can't we find a better title than that? Any suggestions?

Actually some of the above arguments against World's Finest are legitimate.

The Dark Knight & Man of Steel = not cheesy
World's Finest = cheesy

It's not just about how well-known the phrase is.

However, I personally think they could embrace the old-school cheesy nature of the title. Make it seem more timeless than simply a 'modern, edgy battle.

FeedOnATreeFrog is offline  
Old 09-29-2013, 08:21 PM   #643
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick
 
The Boy Scout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,908
Default Re: Batman Vs Superman: can't we find a better title than that? Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedOnATreeFrog View Post
Actually some of the above arguments against World's Finest are legitimate.

The Dark Knight & Man of Steel = not cheesy
World's Finest = cheesy
That's not a fact.

The Boy Scout is offline  
Old 09-29-2013, 08:24 PM   #644
Rorschach2012
$
 
Rorschach2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,236
Default Re: Batman Vs Superman: can't we find a better title than that? Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedOnATreeFrog View Post
Actually some of the above arguments against World's Finest are legitimate.

The Dark Knight & Man of Steel = not cheesy
World's Finest = cheesy

It's not just about how well-known the phrase is.

However, I personally think they could embrace the old-school cheesy nature of the title. Make it seem more timeless than simply a 'modern, edgy battle.
This is basically how I feel about it. I feel they can do better than Batman vvs Superman, but that's at least better than World's Finest.

__________________
*\S/T*
Rorschach2012 is online now  
Old 09-29-2013, 08:24 PM   #645
Rorschach2012
$
 
Rorschach2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,236
Default Re: Batman Vs Superman: can't we find a better title than that? Any suggestions?

Just make it Batman/Superman

__________________
*\S/T*
Rorschach2012 is online now  
Old 09-29-2013, 08:28 PM   #646
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7,477
Default Re: Batman Vs Superman: can't we find a better title than that? Any suggestions?

Superman/Batman: The Movie

TheFlamingCoco is offline  
Old 09-30-2013, 01:13 AM   #647
jmc
callin' it like I see it
 
jmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: I come from the land Down Under
Posts: 19,654
Default Re: Batman Vs Superman: can't we find a better title than that? Any suggestions?

What some of you are forgetting is that World's Finest was the original name for the comic not the team up name of Superman and Batman. People are retroactively applying meaning to it in order to justify the title. World's Finest frankly has no punch to it whatsoever, it's a bland generic phrase that could be applied to anything from washing detergent to Persian rugs, it has no place as the title of a superhero film. The only reason people are suggesting it is because there's never been a name given to the team up of Batman and Superman, it's just been adopted as a default. The title should be symbolic of Batman vs Superman concept, if the two of them are going head to head in the finale then Worlds Finest has even less meaning.

__________________
Celebrating 75 years of Batman saving Gotham City.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline  
Old 09-30-2013, 01:19 AM   #648
jonathancrane
Side-Kick
 
jonathancrane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Arkham Island
Posts: 5,237
Default Re: Batman Vs Superman: can't we find a better title than that? Any suggestions?

Here's an unpopular opinion: both of the titles suck.

They showcase a lack of thought into a title that can represent both of the comic icons well. Considering the half-assed logo they showed at Comic-Con, the lack of thought into this film - as evidenced by Snyder's indirect reveal that batman's inclusion was forced-this is a rushed project that is playing roulette with a nearly full revolver. I prefer they not use an existing title (World's Finest) and not one that sounds like it was conceived during the brainstorming for a half baked film (Batman vs Superman sounds like something Jim Wynorski shot in the 1980's when he had less than a week to shoot something with them before the rights expired.) They are both half assed titles and highlight the lack of thought that has gone into the pre-production of the film.

__________________
*I will forgive the writers of Man of Steel, if Superman is the Enlightened Sun God he is supposed to be, in Superman vs. Batman. Quite simply, Superman does not kill. The writers of MOS failed to grasp this, to this film's detriment.
Favorite CBMs: 1) X2 2) The Avengers 3) CA:TWS 4) Watchmen 5) Batman: MOTP 6) The Dark Knight Rises 7) Thor: TDW 8) TASM 9) IM3 10) S/B: Apocalypse
jonathancrane is online now  
Old 09-30-2013, 01:22 AM   #649
jmc
callin' it like I see it
 
jmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: I come from the land Down Under
Posts: 19,654
Default Re: Batman Vs Superman: can't we find a better title than that? Any suggestions?

I'd actually borrow a title from a Wonder Woman comic - Gods and Mortals.

__________________
Celebrating 75 years of Batman saving Gotham City.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline  
Old 09-30-2013, 09:28 AM   #650
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick
 
The Boy Scout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,908
Default Re: Batman Vs Superman: can't we find a better title than that? Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
What some of you are forgetting is that World's Finest was the original name for the comic not the team up name of Superman and Batman.
Irrelevant.

Quote:
People are retroactively applying meaning to it in order to justify the title.
What?

People have been using that title in reference to Batman and Superman teaming up for years now. There's nothing "retroactive" about any of this.

Quote:
World's Finest frankly has no punch to it whatsoever...
I disagree.

Quote:
it's a bland generic phrase that could be applied to anything...
Again: the films gives the title meaning; not the other way around.

Quote:
The only reason people are suggesting it is because there's never been a name given to the team up of Batman and Superman...
Except the one we're talking about, you mean.

EDIT: Sorry, accidentally deleted this part.
Quote:
The title should be symbolic of Batman vs Superman concept, if the two of them are going head to head in the finale then Worlds Finest has even less meaning.
The keyword there being "if". We don't know yet if the film is actually all about them fighting each other. I think it's more likely to be about them putting their differences aside and working together to defeat a common enemy.


Last edited by The Boy Scout; 09-30-2013 at 09:37 AM.
The Boy Scout is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.