The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > TV Series > Arrow

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #26
Krumm
Beer Snob
 
Krumm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,948
Default Re: (Green) Arrow Comics/Graphic Novel Thread and Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcherFan View Post
Quiver was pretty heavy on the supernatural side - something not all that common in GA. Even considering the whole DC Mythos. That being said, I DO think it was decent, considering it was a 'Resurrection' story line. Certain tie-ins, and the placing of where certain characters (i.e. Hal) does allow it to make sense...

As for what to read after Year One, that depends on what you want for flavor. If you want the feel of Arrow, then read Grell's run in the eighties. Longbow Hunters is a good place to start (also the first appearances of both Shado and Eddie Fyers, if I recall correctly).

Grells run through issue...was in the 60s, I believe, basically ran as a 'mature' title and stayed away from the majority of the main-stream super heroics. Very down to Earth, gritty, etc. Can't remember all of the stories, so I couldn't say how well the they stand up to the test of time.
Yeah, I wasn't too big of a fan of Longbow Hunters mostly for that reason. I also felt the ending was a bit rushed. I will say that I loved the artwork, though.

As for Year One, I liked that a lot.

Krumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:58 PM   #27
Loki882
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 10,365
Default Re: (Green) Arrow Comics/Graphic Novel Thread and Discussion

Green Arrow works as a more gritty street-level character, especially an older Ollie, which is what Grell was doing, I loved it.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:30 AM   #28
Krumm
Beer Snob
 
Krumm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,948
Default Re: (Green) Arrow Comics/Graphic Novel Thread and Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
Green Arrow works as a more gritty street-level character, especially an older Ollie, which is what Grell was doing, I loved it.
I agree and I'm sure Longbow read great back in the 80's but reading it in 2013, it's a little cliche with it's grittiness in the same way that find a lot of Frank Miller's stuff is from that time.

Krumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:24 AM   #29
Loki882
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 10,365
Default Re: (Green) Arrow Comics/Graphic Novel Thread and Discussion

It's not cliché because AT THE TIME it wasn't very common. If they tried to do it today, then it might be cliché.

Loki882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #30
Krumm
Beer Snob
 
Krumm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,948
Default Re: (Green) Arrow Comics/Graphic Novel Thread and Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki882 View Post
It's not cliché because AT THE TIME it wasn't very common. If they tried to do it today, then it might be cliché.
Exactly my point.

Krumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:05 AM   #31
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator
 
AVEITWITHJAMON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Liverpool, UK.
Posts: 24,455
Default Re: (Green) Arrow Comics/Graphic Novel Thread and Discussion

Can anyone tell me some of the best TPB's involving Deathstroke? I really like the character and would like to read some stories with him heavily involved, whether he is fighting Green Arrow or Batman it doesnt matter.

__________________
2014 movie ratings out of 10:

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:51 AM   #32
LongbowHunter
Nanananana:Robin!
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 89
Default Re: (Green) Arrow Comics/Graphic Novel Thread and Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
Can anyone tell me some of the best TPB's involving Deathstroke? I really like the character and would like to read some stories with him heavily involved, whether he is fighting Green Arrow or Batman it doesnt matter.
Green Arrow-Crawling From The Wreckage

LongbowHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:15 AM   #33
DarKush
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,625
Default Re: (Green) Arrow Comics/Graphic Novel Thread and Discussion

I didn't read all the posts, so I don't know if anyone recommended Jeff Lemire. He's doing some stellar work. I recommend you pick up his The Kill Machine graphic novel.

DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:50 AM   #34
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator
 
AVEITWITHJAMON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Liverpool, UK.
Posts: 24,455
Default Re: (Green) Arrow Comics/Graphic Novel Thread and Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongbowHunter View Post
Green Arrow-Crawling From The Wreckage
Thanks, will have a look for it.

__________________
2014 movie ratings out of 10:

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:31 PM   #35
luis4u
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2,036
Default Re: (Green) Arrow Comics/Graphic Novel Thread and Discussion

bump.. sorry

luis4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:39 PM   #36
luis4u
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2,036
Default Re: (Green) Arrow Comics/Graphic Novel Thread and Discussion

pickups

luis4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:41 PM   #37
HighFivingMF
Welp.
 
HighFivingMF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 13,941
Default Re: (Green) Arrow Comics/Graphic Novel Thread and Discussion

Your store have the same Green Arrow display mine did?

__________________
I like Ben Affleck.
HighFivingMF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:44 PM   #38
luis4u
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2,036
Default Re: (Green) Arrow Comics/Graphic Novel Thread and Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFivingMF View Post
Your store have the same Green Arrow display mine did?
My closes comic moved too another place florida. my only option is Barnes and noble..

luis4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:53 PM   #39
geetard
The Amazon Smile
 
geetard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 2,628
Default Re: (Green) Arrow Comics/Graphic Novel Thread and Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by luis4u View Post
pickups
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
I got Longbow Hunters and Year One (new white cover edition) on FCBD.

LH was pretty good and Y1 is also good so far. I'm also looking forward to Smith's Quiver (new edition in a few months).

__________________
*\S/T*
THE RETURN OF STEPHANIE BROWN
4/23/2014
geetard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:13 PM   #40
luis4u
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2,036
Default Re: (Green) Arrow Comics/Graphic Novel Thread and Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetard View Post
I got Longbow Hunters and Year One (new white cover edition) on FCBD.

LH was pretty good and Y1 is also good so far. I'm also looking forward to Smith's Quiver (new edition in a few months).
missing Hunters Moon and quiver..

luis4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:14 PM   #41
luis4u
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2,036
Default Re: (Green) Arrow Comics/Graphic Novel Thread and Discussion


luis4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:50 PM   #42
Karelia
We Are Groot
 
Karelia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,915
Default Re: (Green) Arrow Comics/Graphic Novel Thread and Discussion

First Green Arrow comic I got was Year One about 4 years ago. Loved it. I also got Longbow Hunters after I saw the reviews, I thought it was okay. Only read it once, Year One I read a couple of times.

Jeff Lemire's current run on Green Arrow has been awesome! I love what he has done with Count Vertigo. I buy the graphic novels... So I'll be waiting awhile for Lemire's next GN.

__________________
Believe In The Shield...

Guardians of the Galaxy
Karelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 07:02 PM   #43
DarKush
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,625
Default Re: (Green) Arrow Comics/Graphic Novel Thread and Discussion

I really liked Lemire's first arc. His second, about the Outsiders, lost me a little bit. However he expanded on Green Arrow's mythology and introduced quite a few new characters and adversaries, leading into the next arc. I'm more interested in that new arc.

DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:21 PM   #44
Karelia
We Are Groot
 
Karelia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,915
Default Re: (Green) Arrow Comics/Graphic Novel Thread and Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKush View Post
I really liked Lemire's first arc. His second, about the Outsiders, lost me a little bit. However he expanded on Green Arrow's mythology and introduced quite a few new characters and adversaries, leading into the next arc. I'm more interested in that new arc.
Yeah, I have yet to read his second Arc revolving around The Outsiders. Just waiting for the GN... Which will be a couple of months. Wish they didn't take so long with releasing them.

I'm definitely going to check out "Quiver" and "Hunter's Moon" asap... I've been meaning to get Quiver for the longest time. The last graphic novel I bought was Lemire's "Green Arrrow: The Kill Machine" a few weeks ago.

__________________
Believe In The Shield...

Guardians of the Galaxy
Karelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:35 PM   #45
luis4u
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2,036
Default Re: (Green) Arrow Comics/Graphic Novel Thread and Discussion

First Look At GREEN ARROW #32





Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:



Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:



Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:



Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:


Last edited by luis4u; 06-02-2014 at 10:38 PM.
luis4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:34 AM   #46
LongbowHunter
Nanananana:Robin!
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 89
Default Re: (Green) Arrow Comics/Graphic Novel Thread and Discussion

if I ever find out how to post a picture properly in here I'll show you my GA collection...just ordered a lot of stuff, in a mont's time it should be pretty big (already read most of it digitally but yeah, I'm the kinda guy who wants shelves full of comics )

LongbowHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 03:36 PM   #47
luis4u
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2,036
Default Re: (Green) Arrow Comics/Graphic Novel Thread and Discussion

some collection from someone from reddit















luis4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 03:38 PM   #48
luis4u
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2,036
Default Re: (Green) Arrow Comics/Graphic Novel Thread and Discussion










luis4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:32 PM   #49
Rocketman
Side-Kick
 
Rocketman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,625
Default Re: (Green) Arrow Comics/Graphic Novel Thread and Discussion

My goal is to own every Green Arrow graphic novel/trade paperback ever published. That seems to be less than 40 in total; I already own around 25 now.

Really, I had no idea getting into this character would be so accessible and comfortable. Sure, there are hundreds of single issues out there not collected into trades, but if you want to get familiar with the trade paperbacks, it's an easily attainable goal. There are trades on Amazon for like $3.50. Batman, Superman, X-Men, Spider-Man - forget about it. There's not enough time or money in your life. Green Arrow is one character you can tackle with no pain.

So far, I have read:

Year One
The Longbow Hunters
Hunters Moon
Arrow: Vol. 1 (Based on the show)
New 52: Vol 1 - The Midas Touch


I really had no idea I would end up loving this character so much. I think part of it has to do with the fact that his origin/character is sort of ever-changing, and the variety is so wide it's kind of a different interpretation whenever you go to read something else. I like that. Some things you'll like, some you won't. Most of the time, Superman or Spider-Man are EXACTLY who they are without any change for 60+ years. Green Arrow has a fresh approach for every new era, it seems.

Anyway, I made a breakdown of what I believe to be a well-rounded list of EVERY trade paperback you can buy. If this is wrong, let me know!

MISC:

Green Arrow: Year One
Arrow: Vol. 1
Arrow: Vol. 2
DC Showcase: The Green Arrow
The Green Lantern / Green Arrow Collection

MIKE GRELL:

Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters
Green Arrow: Vol. 1 - Hunters Moon
Green Arrow: Vol. 2 - Here There Be Dragons

RELAUNCH (Beginning with Kevin Smith's Run):

1. Quiver
2. The Sounds of Violence
3. The Archer’s Quest
4. Straight Shooter
5. City Walls
6. Moving Targets
7. Heading into the Light
8. Crawling from the Wreckage
9. Road to Jericho

LEADING INTO "GREEN ARROW / BLACK CANARY" (Continued):

1. Road to the Altar
2. The Wedding Album
3. Family Business
4. A League of Their Own
5. Enemies List
6. Big Game
7. Five Stages

LEADING INTO "BRIGHTEST DAY" (Continued):

8. Brightest Day: Into the Woods
9. Brightest Day: Salvation

NEW 52:

Green Arrow: Vol. 1 – The Midas Touch
Green Arrow: Vol. 2 – Triple Threat
Green Arrow: Vol. 3 – Harrow
Green Arrow: Vol. 4 - The Kill Machine
Green Arrow: Vol. 5 - The Outsiders War

__________________
KEEP CALM AND CALL BATMAN

Last edited by Rocketman; 06-08-2014 at 09:39 PM.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:21 AM   #50
LongbowHunter
Nanananana:Robin!
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 89
Default Re: (Green) Arrow Comics/Graphic Novel Thread and Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
My goal is to own every Green Arrow graphic novel/trade paperback ever published. That seems to be less than 40 in total; I already own around 25 now.

Really, I had no idea getting into this character would be so accessible and comfortable. Sure, there are hundreds of single issues out there not collected into trades, but if you want to get familiar with the trade paperbacks, it's an easily attainable goal. There are trades on Amazon for like $3.50. Batman, Superman, X-Men, Spider-Man - forget about it. There's not enough time or money in your life. Green Arrow is one character you can tackle with no pain.

So far, I have read:

Year One
The Longbow Hunters
Hunters Moon
Arrow: Vol. 1 (Based on the show)
New 52: Vol 1 - The Midas Touch


I really had no idea I would end up loving this character so much. I think part of it has to do with the fact that his origin/character is sort of ever-changing, and the variety is so wide it's kind of a different interpretation whenever you go to read something else. I like that. Some things you'll like, some you won't. Most of the time, Superman or Spider-Man are EXACTLY who they are without any change for 60+ years. Green Arrow has a fresh approach for every new era, it seems.

Anyway, I made a breakdown of what I believe to be a well-rounded list of EVERY trade paperback you can buy. If this is wrong, let me know!

MISC:

Green Arrow: Year One
Arrow: Vol. 1
Arrow: Vol. 2
DC Showcase: The Green Arrow
The Green Lantern / Green Arrow Collection

MIKE GRELL:

Green Arrow: The Longbow Hunters
Green Arrow: Vol. 1 - Hunters Moon
Green Arrow: Vol. 2 - Here There Be Dragons

RELAUNCH (Beginning with Kevin Smith's Run):

1. Quiver
2. The Sounds of Violence
3. The Archer’s Quest
4. Straight Shooter
5. City Walls
6. Moving Targets
7. Heading into the Light
8. Crawling from the Wreckage
9. Road to Jericho

LEADING INTO "GREEN ARROW / BLACK CANARY" (Continued):

1. Road to the Altar
2. The Wedding Album
3. Family Business
4. A League of Their Own
5. Enemies List
6. Big Game
7. Five Stages

LEADING INTO "BRIGHTEST DAY" (Continued):

8. Brightest Day: Into the Woods
9. Brightest Day: Salvation

NEW 52:

Green Arrow: Vol. 1 – The Midas Touch
Green Arrow: Vol. 2 – Triple Threat
Green Arrow: Vol. 3 – Harrow
Green Arrow: Vol. 4 - The Kill Machine
Green Arrow: Vol. 5 - The Outsiders War
I had the same goal (collecting all GA Trades) but I've gotten so into it that now I'm also collecting single issues (for the moment the important ones or just shorter arcs, but yeah, I already see myself spending money on some old Detective Comics to get to the GA backup issues ).

That said, you're missing some of the lesser known trades.
There is

-The Poison Tomorrow (a GA Bats crossover from the 80s or 90s by O'Neil)
->I'm actually not sure if it's a trade or just a one shot but in every case it's just one book (I've ordered it but haven't recieved it yet)

-Batman: The ring, the arrow and the bat
->this one has a misleading title! These are O'Neil stories (more or less canon, they kinda mix the Golden age stuff with later things and have their own take on certain established things, but continuity in GA is always a bit tricky) that show how GA met GL (so the first story is without Bats!) and later how GA met Bats.So you see, it's a GA trade.

-The Wonder Year-> it's Grell's take on the origin (so an older version of year one). I don't own it but I've read it. I don't like it too much. Compared to the rest of Grell's work it's somehow cheesy. But if you aim at a complete collection it should be included.

-Justice League: The rise and fall special-> other misleading title, this is a pure GA (first part) and Roy Harper (second part) story dealing with the aftermath of Cry For Justice.

-The 3rd Volume of Arrow is already available.

-Connor Hawke: Dragon's Blood (no idea if you intend to collect stories without Ollie Queen but this is the only Trade with Connor as main character (it's not from the time where he was the only GA it takes places somewhere after Ollie's resurrection).

-As a part of the Jack Kirby Omnibus series there should be a volume dedicated to GA (but I'm not sure how many of those stories the Showcase collection already has).

Maybe I've missed some. Don't know.

In any case, to understand GA and some of the concepts in some of the trades i recommend owning Identity Crisis (establishes his rivalery with both, Doctor Light and Deathstroke) and Cry For Justice (heavily leads into Rise and Fall and the storylines in Into The Woods and Salvation are also connected to the aftermath of that). I know, most people here hate those two stories but they're important to the character.
Oh! If you make an exception to the only trades rule get Green Arrow 96-101 from the 90's. That's the arc that ends with Ollie's death.

I hope this was of some help. Good luck with your collections folks!

LongbowHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.